CHAPTER 3

Pandora's Box
2017, 24 DECEMBER 17:38

 

It was late in the afternoon and all the servants were so busy rustling here and there; maids coming in and out of Kwon Ji Hee's room. Everyone was preparing for the grand celebration this evening, everyone was filled with excitement except for one--Ji Hee. She doesn't want anything to do with her birthday but she just couldn't refuse the look on Mr. Yang's face when he asked her to comply.

Ji Hee was surrounded by stylists who were all occupied on her dress, hair, make-up, and the likes. She took a glance at her clock on the study table, it was 5:38 pm. It's almost evening, it'll all be over soon. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, allowing the make-up artist to do her thing.

Ji Hee was not a fan of dressing up but as soon as the stylists left her room, she can't help but be mesmerized by her own reflection in the mirror. She was wearing an elegant royal blue gown that spreads all around her beautifully and adorned with the silver necklace which she never leaves her touch. She paired the gown with white sneakers. Yes, sneakers because she dreadfully hates wearing heels. Her curly ash brown hair falls perfectly below her shoulders. And for once, she thought she was beautiful. She examined more closely at how amazing the work was done to hide the dark circles under her eyes and how the shade of rose-pink complimented her lips.

knock knock. Ji Hee averted her gaze to see Chanyeol leanin with his elbows by the door. He eyed her from top to toe and gave the loudest laugh ever. "You look horrible," he sarcastically commented while pretending to cover a hand on his mouth in disgust.

She eyed him in return, she noticed that he was dressed up like an England royal with a stylish bow on his chest. "You look horrible yourself," she replied and crossed her arms while rolling her eyes.

"Stop lying, I know you can't resist me," he shot back and raised an eyebrow.

"I'm not lying, you do look horrible."

"You're so bad at this." He walked to her by the mirror and gave a slight bow while offering his right hand with a smile, "may I?"

"There is no way I'm walking down those stairs with you."

"Look, we don't have much time." He quickly grabbed her left arm and intertwined it his right, forcefully dragging her out of the room.

"Hey! Chany--" her words were halted when she saw hundreds of strangers looking right at her and she froze.

Chanyeol squeezed her hand and whispered to hwr ears, "smile."

Ji Hee's entire body tensed up as they descended, if you look closely, she may look like she had stopped breathing. And to be honestly speaking, her soul left her the moment she stepped down those stairs. She held tightly unto Chanyeol's arm as she barely managed to crack a smile.

"Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Park Chanyeol with our stunning celebrant, Miss Kwon Ji Hee," Mr. Yang announced and everyone gave a round of applause.

------

It had been hours and Ji Hee's back started to sore from all the bowing she did to every stranger she met. The party was more like a social gathering rather than a birthday, everyone was only interested in one thing--business. Ji Hee doesn't give the slightest care about any of that at all, all the mattered to her was that the party may end sooner.

She picked a glass of champagne and drank it in one gulp. She felt the alcohol burning but it didn't stop her from asking for a refill before walking straight to the garden. It was snowing and sneakers were getting soaked. It was -4.4° outside but somehow, the effects of the champagne started kicking off, giving her enough body heat to shield herself from the cold.

She entered the maze garden and reached the center where a lonely pair of swing set stood. She drank what was left of her champagne and placed the glass on the ground. She rubbed her arms and sat on one of the swings. It was dark but the full moon was illuminating the entire place. Her cheeks were and nose were flustered from both the cold and the alcohol. She gave a deep sigh, she was eighteen which means the engagement will finally be legalized; a part of the family business will be handed over to her; she would have to grow responsible and stuffs like that. She hated it. She hated it so much.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you."

"Mom! Dad!" Young Ji Hee who was barely three years old ran up to hug both of her parents.

Her mom leaned over to kiss her forehead and whispered, "we love you, princess."

She looked up at the moon as tears rolled down the sides of her face. Mom, dad, I miss you.

"Are you nuts?!" A tall red-haired man quickly ran up to her.

Ji Hee quickly wiped her tears, "go away."

"Do you plan on freezing to death?!" He took off his blue coat and placed it over her shoulders.

"Go away, Chanyeol."

"Not when you're out here in the cold." He pulled her away from the swing when he noticed her swollen eyes. "Are you crying?"

"It's none of your business," she looked away, gathering her strength to stop her tears from falling.

"It is my business because you're my fiancée." He moved closer and placed his hand on her waist and the other on the back of her head, giving her a warm embrace.

Ji Hee stood still for a moment before bursting into tears as she pushed him away. "That's the point! I don't want to be your fiancée! I don't want any of this! I want all of this to just go away!" Her voice cracked from all the hoarse screaming.

"Ji Hee, stop this. It's supposed to be a happy night."

"Happy?!" Ji Hee finally broke. "How am I supposed to be happy when I am to be married to a guy I don't even love? How am I supposed to be happy when both my parents are dead? When all that i am was already shattered 13 years ago? And now you're even pretending to care about me? You used to hate me! I'm still nothing but that weak little girl! You're supposed to keep on hating me!"

Chanyeol pulled her to another embrace, "Ji Hee."

"No. No. No!" She shook her head and started pounding on his chest. "You're supposed to hate me. You're supposed to leave me here to die..."

"Ji Hee, stop it." He tilted her chin up and wiped away her tears. "I don't hate you."

"No." She shook her head in refusal, "you ha--" her words were cut off when Chanyeol's hand reached for the back of the neck and planted a passionate kiss unto her lips. My first kiss. "I-I..." Mom, dad...

"You taste weird. Did you drink?"

"I..." ...is this how it feels...

"You're not supposed to be drinking!"

"I-I'm..." ...to be...

"How many glasses did you take?"

"I'm s-s..." ...put back...

"Hey, Ji Hee! Answer me!"

"I'm so..." ...together?

"Ji Hee--" Chanyeol barely caught her as she collapsed on the melting snow. "Hey, Ji Hee! Answer me." He pat her shoulder lightly then placed the back of his hand above her forehead, "oh f^ck"

-----

Park Chanyeol had brought Ji Hee into one of the maids room located in the kitchen because there was no way he could sneak up those stairs to her room without getting any strange looks from the guests.

Although it had been hours since he brought her there and everyone had already left, he decided to just stay and let her rest till she wakes up.

He put a fresh soaked towel on her forehead when her eyes slowly opened. "Sorry, did I wake you?"

Ji Hee took a moment to register the unfamiliar room.

"We're in the maid's room. I couldn't take you upstairs earlier," Chanyeol informed her.

She nodded while scanning the place when her eyes landed on the new clothes she was wearing. It was a beige cotton night gown. How did I... Her face turned red, she pulled the blankets to her chest defensively and gave Chanyeol a deadly glare.

Chanyeol was confused for a moment, "oh that, umm I asked the maids to undress you. I swear, I didn't peak or maybe just a little--" smack! His head turned 90°, earning a red mark on the left side of his face. "Okay, I deserve that one," he chuckled while rubbing his sore cheeks.

Ji Hee sighed and hastily got up from the bed.

"You shouldn't be up yet," he stated.

She didn't listned, instead she asked, "what time is it?"

"It's half past 11."

"I need to go."

-----

"Here is enough," Ji Hee said when they reached the division of the stairs.

"You sure you don't want me to you to your room?" Chanyeol asked with concern.

"I'm fine," she answered and ascended without looking back.

"I'll inform Mr. Yang that you're awake so he can bring you some medicine, okay?" He called out.

She didn't even bother to give a nod because the only thing on her mind was that it's almost midnight. She stood in front of her door. Merry Christmas, dad. She clasped her necklace tightly and entered the room.

She locked the door behind her, the lights were off and the coal was dead cold. She shivered, rubbing her arms to keep herself warm. She headed over to the sliding door and opened the dark curtains to let the moonlight illuminate her room when her brown eyes met a pair of blue ones staring right at her.