PROLOGUE

Pandora's Box
2004, 24 DECEMBER 23:35

 

"At long last, I can finally meet you again Soo Jung. My wife, my queen, my sunshine."

After a long year of intensive research and sleepless nights, Mr. Kwon had been successful in creating the Pandora's box--a machine that allows you to bring back the life of a dead loved one.

While admiring his masterpiece, a sudden explosion occured behind him and his fellow mad scientist, Mr. Park, appeared through all the dust with a smirk on his face.

"Pandora's box is mine!" Mr. Park claimed.

Mr. Kwon ran for the box, not daring to look back to his treacherous friend. He dashed through the back door where hundreds of other lab workers rushed in panic. His eyes went for the lab room and immediately opened the door to see his beloved daughter confused and in tears.

"Ji Hee, you have to promise me you'd be brave, okay?" Mr. Kwon said, his hand wiping her tears.

"Daddy, what's going on?" Ji Hee replied, still in tears.

"Everything will be alright." He handed her a present in a pink gift wrap, "it's not much for a gift but happy birthday."

"Daddy..."

"My dear princess..." he trailed off as his hands reached for the necklace hanging around the neck of his five-year-old daughter, "...don't lose it." He gave her a kiss on the forehead before rushing off and ordering her to hide.

That was the last image Ji Hee ever saw of his father before disappearing for eternity. She heeded her father's advice and hid behind some ruins where she found her bestfriend who was barely two years older than her also hiding for his life.

"Oppa," she spoke in a whisper.

"You're still here? You have to leave now!" He grabbed her by the hand and quickly ran towards their secret exit door. He opened the contraption slowly and gently. Ji Hee, being a small child, slid right through but before her bestfriend could join her, he was pulled back by a man in a white lab gown but she couldn't see who it was from all the rubble.

"Oppa!" She called out but she heard no reply. Tears started forming in her eyes once again as she swallowed hard all her fears and started crawling her way out.

The rest she could remember were her cries spilling out as she was held by Mr. Yang, her father's butler, as the chaos started calming down.

ding dong ding dong ding dong

She looked up at the sky as she heard the church bells ringing in awe.

It was christmas.