Failed Beginnings

Of Summonings and Annoyances

Kinda like a prologue thing? Idk, it's probably more of a first chapter.

Word Count: 1542


Baekhyun glanced at the thick, ancient book in front of him one last time, barely repressing the urge to re-check one of the other dozens of delicate, barely held together texts. He sighed, feeling uncharacteristically worried. As the kingdom's head magician, his normal confidence was rather well-founded, but he couldn't help the bad feeling he had.

It had taken him a couple tries to get the right ingredient ratio and since one of his few, yes few (it hadn't taken him very long to figure it out), attempts had exploded in his best friend, Jongdae's face, the archmage was alot more wary of the concoction. If a potioneer had seen how carelessly he used that quantity of rare ingredients they would probably cry.

The light-user poured amethyst moonwater into a pretty glass that seemed to be made of crystal, but was actually made of silverfrost. Silverfrost was hard to obtain and even harder to work with, but one of his close hyungs was considered the best ice-user in the their realm. Minseok hyung, despite being somewhat standoffish, cared immensely for his friends, and was incredibly attractive as well. His only negative trait was his taste in idiots romantic interests.

Well it was thanks to said idioHe then added some blueheart grass and proceeded to crush and mix it into the moonwater. Finally, he pricked his thumb and added a drop of his blood. Baekhyun breathed a sigh of relief when the concotion only sizzled for a couple of seconds before finally settling.

"Elementum recolligo Huic commodo locus mihi vestri vox..." He began the incantation. While major changes were made to the ingredients and minors ones to the summoning circle, the incantation remained the same as normal summoning spell, the only difference was that he was switching between languages, drawing on multiple faiths for more power.

Baekhyun was getting to the end of the spell, so he poured more magic inro the circle. Summoning something outside your elemental affinity was considered impossible, so while his altered spell was making it possible, most of it was just him powering through the barriers. All that was left was to choose an element.

"víma pros ta emprós -"

"Hyung! You--- Holy is that fire?" Someone - Sehun, a wind mage- burst into the room, stepping on the edge of the circle.

The incantation was complete.

He'd failed.

The circle was broken.

He'd failed.

The light turned orange.

He'd failed.

Baekhyun was a failure.

He was startled out of his reverie by an angry sizzling. Realizing what was happening, the light mage quickly moved towards Sehun, who instantly curled himself into Baekhyun, and put up a shield seconds before the silverfrost bowl exploded. If Sehun had been hit by a piece of the frost, even Minseok would have trouble un-freezing him.

As the light died down Baekhyun sighed, absent mindedly patting the head of an apologetic Sehun. His mind was racing, calculating the amount of time he wasted on this as well as if it would be worth it to try again. Summoning spells could only be done once, sometimes twice for extremely old magic users , but that only applied to successful summonings. Successful or not he'd still have to wait at least a month before retrying a summoning spell.

"Oh my god Baek-hyung what was that? Was that spell important?... I'm soso sorry. Hyung! Why didn't you put a barrier in around the room or something!? I'm sorrryyy..." said the tall, remorseful boy currently clinging to him, and well... it's not like Baekhyun really needed the dragon anyways, it was just a shortcut. He wasn't going to lie, if it was anyone else, especially Jongdae, he probably wouldn't have been this calm, but Sehun was his favourite and he had a soft spot for him.

The light mage looked at the boy in his arms, about to reassure him that it was fine, and he knows it was an accident, when he realized the boy was wide-eyed and stiff. He was just about to question it when he felt the sudden spike of magic. The blood circle began fading and an orange light, alot brighter than the previous one, filled the room.

Huh, looks like the spell wasn't a failure afterall.

The light started fading, revealing a humanoid shape. That was good, only extemely old and powerful creatures and their descendants, considered the nobility of the beast world, had the ability to shift into humans. The younger generation of the beast world's nobility were just as powerful as their ancestors, only... more idiotic less wise. While it was extremely unlikely that this was the Kris he was looking for at least Baekhyun wasn't going to end up with useless familiar for the minimum one month that he had to keep.

The light faded and the residual magic power dispersed to reveal a young boy, who looked about his age, with big eyes, big ears, and an even bigger smile. For some reason he was also drenched from head to toe in what Baekhyun hoped was water.

"What's your name?" Surprisingly it was Sehun who broke the silence, like the friendly sociable kid he is. Yeah right, what a joke. Baekhyun would bet his right arm the kid was going through some sort of emo, hate-everything phase, the only exception being some of his hyungs.

"What's your affinity?" Baekhyun added before the boy could answer. Asking a familiar what species they were was considered considered rude, so he'd have to settle for element right now, he could figure out race later.

"Chanyeol." The familiar- Chanyeol answered in a surprising deep, and admittedly attractive voice. How he managed to sound so bright and happy with that voice is a mystery. The boy grinned even brighter before raising his raising his hand, flame burst to life atop his palm.

Baekhyun couldn't keep the disappointment off his face. Despite the low odds he was still hoping this was Kris, or Yi Fan of the draconic Wu clan. Chanyeol seemed to notice his expression fall and his own happy aura seemed to dim a little. He dried himself off with his magic then unfolded himself to his full height. He was tall, taller than Sehun, and the wind-user was one of his taller friends.

"I'm sorry, were you looking for someone specific?" the flame familiar asked nervously, wringing his hands together.

Baekhyun studied the tall boy in front of him. His personality reminded Baekhyun of a dog, but his aura was far too pure to be a hellhound. He looked too delicate to be a western dragon. His features looked almost elven, so maybe a fire sprite? No, fae types never grew that tall. Which left...oh. Well, this should be interesting.

"The spell was intended to summon Wu YiFan, Chinese dragon prince."

"Oh, well, Kris is my best friend, I can talk to him about it if you want... but we have to wait at least..." he paused and stared at Baekhyun, assessing his power level "three months before it is safe to break the bond."

Chanyeol seemed to get meeker and meeker the more he spoke. Best friends with the crown prince of the beast kingdom... that just confirmed Baekhyun suspicions.

"Actually, it will only take one month." Baekhyun smirked. He was somewhat impressed, Chanyeol did well assessing his power level, however, the light mage always kept a bit of his magical aura hidden, making him appear weaker than he was.

"Now if you-"

"Holy you're a phoenix!" Sehun burst out, just now coming to the same conclusion as Baekhyun. and rushed forward to grab Chanyeol's hands, not even pausing the be embarassed at his outburst.

It's not as if Baekhyun didn't understand his excitement. Phoenixes were extremely rare and were the only species that were entirely noble. Even dragons had lessers which could not transform into humans and were less intelligent, but every single phoenix is a noble. People say this is because the first phoenix was originally human, but who knows.

So yes, Baekhyun understood the excitement, or at least he would of, if it was literally anyone else. But this was Sehun, the boy that set half a forest on fire so he could get out of a royal dinner to help put it out. So no, it wasn't just academic interest, Sehun seemed to genuinely like Chanyeol.

"Then Sehun can answer your questions and help you settle in. We'll talk later. Get him clothes and bring him to my rooms after lunch." He directed the last part at Sehun who nodded in response. Might as well make Sehun do something for him while he was still feeling apologetic.

Baekhyun put on his cloak with a dramatic swoosh, causing Sehun to roll his eyes and Chanyeol to... well Chanyeol has just been giving him a sad, abadoned puppy look since he announced that he was leaving him to Sehun. They stared at each other for about five seconds before Chanyeol's attention was reclaimed by Sehun. He proceeded to smile at Sehun in a soft, fond way before telling him to slow down.

Baekhyun's last thought before he teleported out of the room was his smile is kind of beautiful... when he isn't grinning weirdly.

 


 

A/n: Well it is like 4 a.m. and I just decided to finish this so enjoy

This is going to be an episodic thing, so it will be interconnected but each chapter will be it's own one and done thing.

Honestly this chapter was going to be longer but I am tired now so I'll probably do it tomorrow. Which means I may just extend this chapter instead of making it a second chapter.

Not my first fanfic, but first bxb and first one in awhile that I am posting so I apologize if my writing is awkward.

Feel free to give me prompts for this verse and let me know your thoughts on this chapter :). Hope you enjoyed!