Chapter Six

Min Yoongi, P.I. and the Rainbow Flag Murders

Seokjin was having breakfast with Namjoon the next morning. They sat around Seokjin’s large dining table with an assortment of Korean and American breakfast food laid in front of them. Yoongi swallowed two pancakes before explaining to Seokjin that the murderer was probably among his group.

“One of my members?” Seokjin gasped.

“Yeah.” Hoseok mumbled through a piece of bacon.

“Okay…” Seokjin gave them both an uneasy look before he stood up and walked over to a butler, whispering to him. The butler nodded and walked off.

“I can’t believe you got in his pants already.” Hoseok whispered to Namjoon as Seokjin spoke to the butler.

Namjoon smiled. His face was practically glowing with joy. “I can’t believe it either.”

“You good, Daddy.” Hoseok whispered.

He and Namjoon snickered together and Yoongi rolled his eyes.


Once the butler returned with the a stack of manila colored folders, Seokjin handed them to Yoongi, and he and Hoseok took off making their way to a cafe. Yoongi ordered an iced black coffee and Hoseok ordered a cheesecake.

 Mmm .”

Yoongi ignored Hoseok making out with the cheesecake and looked through the files.

“Minty you got to try this!”

“I’m busy.”

“Open your mouth.”

Yoongi sighed and opened his mouth, feeling the creamy dessert slip into his mouth. He was then pinched on the cheek, to which he slapped away.

Hoseok laughed, delighted.

“Be serious.”

“Okay.”

Yoongi sighed again and closed the folder.

“What’s wrong?”

“This will take forever.” Yoongi grumbled.

“The killer will probably strike again in two weeks.” Hoseok reminded him, eating another spoonful of cheesecake.

“Should we wait until then?”

“We could split the pictures of the members in half and look for him at the scene of the crime?” Hoseok suggested.

“I guess.” Yoongi said taking a sip of his coffee. “It will be hard though.”

The list of members was over 100 and growing.

“Shall we enjoy our time together while we wait then?” Hoseok leaned forward with a grin.

“Like date?”

“Exactly.” Hoseok ate more cheesecake and his lips. “I still want that first date.”

“I can’t believe you.”

“I know, I’m so ambitious.”

Yoongi scoffed and looked away.

“Was that a smile?”

“You’ll never know.”

 Minty ,” Hoseok whined softly. “Let’s go to the movies, yeah?”

Hoseok’s whiny voice and pout shouldn’t have made him cave in, but Yoongi felt himself agreeing with a nod. “What time?”

“8?”

“Sure.”

“Yay!” Hoseok cheered loudly, causing people in the cafe to give them looks.

Yoongi wanted to slip deeper into his coat.

“Buy me popcorn.” Hoseok added.

“You asked me out.” Yoongi retorted.

Hoseok frowned and Yoongi felt a small smile form on his lips.


Yoongi was the first one at the theater. He supposed he wanted to be early to make sure they had tickets. Of course the movie they were going to watch wasn’t even sold out, but it could have happened.

Yoongi began to worry when it was 8:00 on the dot and Hoseok was still not there. Hoseok wasn’t one to be fashionably late. Just fashionable.

Could he have stood him up?

No . Yoongi dismissed the idea. Hoseok had been dying to go on a date with him.

As the minutes went on Yoongi grew more and more anxious.He glanced at his phone. No notifications.

If something had come up wouldn’t that idiot at least send me a text?

Was he…

Done with me?  

Had the man finally had enough of Yoongi’s attitude? Was he another Jimin?

Finally a whole hour passed and they missed half of the movie. Yoongi went to discard the tickets in disappointment. As he did his phone rang.

It was Hoseok’s number.

A part of him wanted to send him to voicemail but another wanted to be rational and hear what he had to say.

He sent it to voicemail.

He then began walking toward the cabs lined up when his phone rang again.

Yoongi sighed.

And picked up.  

“Hello?”

“You want him alive, you drop this case.”

Fear coursed through Yoongi making him freeze on the spot. He swallowed hard before speaking.

“D-don’t hurt him.” 
He then heard Hoseok yelling in the background. He was barely audible, but he was alive.

“He’s in the storage unit of your apartment.”

The man hung up.

Yoongi, phone in hand, raced to the curb where taxis were lined up. He got in one and handed the driver as many bills as he could, telling him to step on it.

When the taxi finally arrived he ran to his storage unit and fumbled with the lock in frustration before he opened it.

There was Hoseok tied to a chair and gagged with tape. He carefully peeled off the tape, holding back tears of relief.

“Hyung, I got a fist full of DNA!” Hoseok exclaimed with a smile.

Yoongi finished untying him and gave him a glare. “Are you crazy?!”

“Come on.” Hoseok pouted, showing him a fist full of hair.

“No!” Yoongi attempted to smack the hand away, but Hoseok pulled it to his chest. “I quit! It’s over, I can’t let you get hurt.”

“I won’t get hurt!”

“Yes you will.” Yoongi growled. “Did what just happened fly over your head?!”

“They weren’t even going to touch me, they just wanted to talk tough.”

“Hoseok please .”

“Yoongi, I’m fine.” Hoseok insisted. “And we’re going to finish this!”

“No, we aren’t. I’m not going to stand by and watch you get killed just for me.”

“Hah, don’t flatter yourself, you’re not the only reason I’m doing this.”

“But you’re the only reason I want to stop.” Yoongi looked at him sadly. “I care about you…”

“If you cared you would listen to what I have to say! If we take this and run a DNA test on it then we can--”

“Hoseok, no!” Yoongi snapped. “We’re done!”

“Then we’re done in this relationship too.” Hoseok scowled. He stormed off. “Like I’m going to be with someone so overprotective. I thought you were cool!”

“Same here!” Yoongi yelled after him. Trying not to feel hurt as Hoseok failed to look back. 


“It’s Chris’s DNA!”

“You ran a DNA test?!”

“Your buddy ex Jimin did.”

“You got some nerve…” Yoongi muttered over the phone. “And who’s Chris?”

“Chris is that white dude who tried to come onto me, remember?”

“Almost ?”

“Yeah.”

“How did you even get his name?”

“The DNA test Yoongi, please keep up.”

Yoongi sighed, even though he was still angry at Hoseok for insisting on risking their lives and for going behind his back he had to admire the fire in him. He really was willing to finish this case.

“Let’s go confront him then.”

“That’s my Minty! I’ll pick you up in 10!”

Yoongi flustered at Hoseok’s affectionate tone and hung up after grunting his agreement. He finished up eating his leftover Chinese takeout with a pink face.


The small house with the perfectly manicured lawn was dark. Granted it was daytime so there was no need for artificial light but Yoongi remembered that there was open windows last time. This time the windows were shut.

“Maybe he’s not home.”

“Or maybe he’s hiding.” Hoseok reasoned. “He did kidnap me and tie me up in your storage unit. He must know we would have come for him sooner or later.”

Yoongi nodded in agreement and they walked up to the door, knocking loudly.

No answer.

Yoongi knocked again.

“He’s got to be hiding in there.” Hoseok said. He walked to the side of the house and slammed at the windows.

“Hoseok.”

“COME OUT YOU ATTEMPTED KIDNAPPER!”

“Hoseok!” Yoongi hissed. He rushed over and grabbed Hoseok’s hand to stop him from slapping the window again. “You’re going to draw attention.”

“I don’t care if this whole neighborhood knows!”

“Well you need to if we’re going to break in.”

“What?”

Yoongi let him go and walked around to the back door of the house. Hoseok followed, wide-eyed.

“Yoongi are we gonna…”

Yoongi opened the back door.

“We are.” Yoongi smirked over his shoulder. “And easier than I expected.”

“He would be the kind to leave his back door unlocked.” Hoseok said with a roll of his eyes.

They walked into a dark kitchen, Yoongi reaching for a wooden spoon while Hoseok grabbed at a knife. They stepped past the table and fridge heading to a hallway that lead to two rooms.

“I’ll take the left.” Hoseok said.

Yoongi nodded and he walked to the right room, spoon raised high. It was a simple bathroom. White walls, white toilet and bathtub. The only sign of personality was the yellow duck shaped bath rug which he stepped on with his boots, repeatedly. Satisfied with the mud stains on the rug Yoongi walked over to the room Hoseok had disappeared to.

He found Hoseok on his knees beside a body.

“Hoseok?”

“Yoongi…” Hoseok turned to him, his face pale with shock. “He was murdered.”


Chris’s throat had been slit open and the blood had dried up like a puddle around him. His eyes were glossed over but Yoongi could see the fear they held. As the police took the body away Jungkook walked over to Yoongi and Hoseok who were sitting outside the ambulance. Hoseok had gotten a shock blanket wrapped around himself, his eyes to the ground. Yoongi held his hand a little tighter than usual.

“We found this in his hand.” Jungkook handed him a crumpled piece of paper.

“What is it?” Yoongi asked, smoothing it out.

“Looks like his final words.” Jungkook shrugged.

On the paper were the words:

 

Park J.

 

“What’s that mean?” Hoseok glanced over at the paper, his eyes not so distant anymore. As if he was back to his old self again.

“Are you okay?” Yoongi murmured. Hoseok had taken the sight of the body quite hard. Yoongi had seen a couple in his occupation, but even he could admit that Chris’s open throat leaking dark red blood unnerved him.  

Hoseok gave a small nod. “I just can’t believe I saw a dead body like that...All warm and blood y…” He shivered. “I’ll be fine. What does that paper mean?”

“I don’t know.” Yoongi replied, eyebrows furrowed.

Park was generally a last name but it was spelled in English. Could it be that in his urgency he wrote it in his native language?

“Maybe it’s a clue.”

“Or a warning.” Hoseok whispered.

“We can stop if you want.”

Hoseok shook his head. “I know Chris was not the greatest guy in the world, but he didn’t deserve to die like that. No one does . I want to arrest that murdering bastard more than ever now.”

Yoongi and Jungkook exchanged surprised glances at Hoseok’s fiery tone. Jungkook then smiled.

“Good luck.”

“Thanks.” Yoongi clapped his shoulder and the police officer left.

“Park J. could be a name of one of the members.” Hoseok spoke. “We should head back and look through the names.”

“Tomorrow.” Yoongi decided. He placed an arm around Hoseok’s shoulders. “Let’s just... sit .”

“Okay.”

Hoseok didn’t fight it and instead leaned his head on Yoongi’s shoulder in comfort.

They ended up heading back to Hoseok’s apartment and cuddling on his bed until morning.

Then as soon as Hoseok’s alarm rang, he was out of bed and in the kitchen sipping coffee and looking through names.

Yoongi slept some more. Annoyed when Hoseok came crashing into bed, shaking him.

 What? ” Yoongi glared.

“I found the names.”

“Huh?”

“There’s only five people with the name of Park J.” Hoseok handed him a list. Yoongi sat up and put on his glasses. He read the list. “Your ex is one of them.”

Yoongi handed the list back and sighed before ripping the sheets off himself.

“Let’s go see Jimin.”


“You think I’m the murderer?!” Jimin squeaked.

“It’s a possibility.” Yoongi said calm. He sipped at his coffee and made a face. It was way too sweet. He took another sip anyway, before setting it down on the coffee table in Jimin’s living room.

Taehyung who was playing video games had paused and come to sit beside Jimin, an outraged look on his face.

“My Jiminnie is not a murderer!”

“I never said he was.” Yoongi countered. “I just said he’s a suspect.”

Jimin looked frightened. “Does that mean I’m going to jail.”

“Not yet.” Hoseok said.

Taehyung glared and placed his arms around Jimin, protectively.

“Wait you said that white dude who almost tried to have his way with you wrote this?” Jimin asked, slipping out of Taehyung’s hold.

“Yeah.”

“What if he meant something else. I mean he wrote it in English.” Jimin clarified.

“Are you saying that to throw the trail off of you?” Hoseok narrowed his eyes.

“I’m not a murderer!”

“Jimin’s right.”

“He is?” They all turned to look at him in surprise.

“About the meaning I mean.” Yoongi smiled. “He still could be a murderer.”

 Hyung! ” Jimin whined.

“What else could Park J. mean?” Hoseok asked. “It sounds like a name to me.”

Yoongi’s eyes widened in realization. Park J. was a name.

“Jong Park.”

“Jong Park?” Hoseok raised his eyebrows. “Isn’t that a singer or something.”

 Jay Park.” Jimin corrected him.

“Jong Park.” Yoongi repeated. “The park we go to.”

 Ohh . You think that’s what Chris meant?”

“Never hurts to look.” Yoongi stood and took a last sip of his coffee, before walking towards the door. “Bye Potential Murderer!”

 Hyung! 

“My Jiminnie wouldn’t hurt a fly !”

Hoseok and Yoongi exchanged grins as they left.


“This park isn’t exactly small, where are we supposed to start?” Hoseok asked as they walked through the park’s entrance.”What are we even looking for anyway?”

“They know us.” Yoongi explained as they walked through the grass. “They knew enough that they kidnapped you and they put you in my storage unit. They hired Chris to do it. Does that seem coincidental?”

Hoseok dodged a soccer ball and a kid yelled an apology to which he waved at. “Are you saying the murderer has been following us?”

“More than likely.”

“That's ing creepy.”

“But good because if he has been following us then…”

They came to Yoongi’s spot in the park and by the bench a foot away was a rainbow flag stabbed into the ground.

“Gay marks the spot.” Hoseok said as they crouched beside it.

Yoongi pulled it out then started scooping hi hands. Hoseok grimaced.

“Do we have to?”

“You got a shovel?”

Hoseok looked around before walking toward a group of kids in a sandbox.

He returned with a pail and shovel.

“What did you trade?”

“One of your cigarettes.” Hoseok joked.

“Smokers are getting younger.”

“Its an epidemic.” Hoseok laughed.

They dug until they uncovered a box. Hoseok pulled it out and handed it to Yoongi.

He opened it and found photos of Yoongi and Hoseok. Them going to Seokjin’s house, Namjoon’s house, the club, even the morgue.

“What the .” Hoseok gasped.

“Guess that confirms it.” Yoongi frowned. He went through the stack, pausing on the last one.

It was Seokjin.

Tied and gagged, his face white as a sheet, and his eyes wide with terror.

“Seokjin?!” Hoseok exclaimed. “But wasn’t he with Namjoon?”

“Call Namjoon!” Yoongi ordered, shoving the photo back in the box and holding it against him.

Namjoon picked up immediately. “Hey Hobi.”

Hobi?

Hoseok seemed to notice Yoongi’s expression and smiled before growing serious. “Are you with Seokjin?”

“Nah, he cancelled on me. Want to come over and play CoD?”

“The murderer has Seokjin, Joon! I'm gonna have to postpone.”

“What?!”

“Meet us at his house and call the police!” Yoongi shouted over Hoseok’s shoulder.

Namjoon made a noise but Hoseok hung up as he and Yoongi raced to the car. Hoseok throwing the pail and shovel at a kid as they passed. The kid swore at him, with a middle finger and everything.

“Can’t believe I paid him 20 bucks, the little brat.” Hoseok muttered.

Yoongi ready to make a comment about why Hoseok had done that, decided not too and instead rushed him along.

Seokjin was in danger.

And it was his fault.