Chapter Four

Min Yoongi, P.I. and the Rainbow Flag Murders

One week had already passed. Yoongi was confused. He would think about Hoseok and the way his lips felt on his mouth and skin. The way his face would light up with his smile.

He wondered why he was thinking about him so much, it hadn't been that way before.

Perhaps it was just the loss of companionship Hoseok had provided.

Yoongi decided that had to be it, as he made his way into the police station and slipped into an office.

The young police officer, sitting behind the desk, looked up from writing.

“Hyung!”

“Jeon Jungkook.” Yoongi nodded, taking a seat on a worn chair that had seen better days.

“What brings you here?” Jungkook smiled, his eyes crinkling.

“Just wanted to know if there was any new findings on the Rainbow Flag Murders.”

Jungkook frowned and scratched his head. “So far, not much. Police are supervising the clubs more often, but hyung no one really seems to care.”

“Just like Hoseok said.” Yoongi murmured.

“Who?”

Yoongi shook his head. “Just some guy.”

Jungkook raised his eyebrows and leaned forward. “You okay hyung? You seem off track.”

“It's probably because of him.”

“The Hoseok guy?”

Yoongi nodded, staring intently on the cactus on Jungkook's desk. It had been overwatered and was already turning a sickly brown.

“Is this…” Yoongi looked up at Jungkook's hesitant voice. “Like about relationships?”

Just as Yoongi opened his mouth to answer his phone rang. He pulled it out and a wave of anxiousness and excitement coursed through him at the sight of Jung Hoseok on the caller ID.

“Hold on.” He replied to Jungkook, answering the phone.

Before he could say hello, Hoseok spoke.

His voice was monotone with a slight edge to it.

“I want you to know that I'm not coming. I made up mind and I don't want to wait for someone who can't make up theirs. This might sound harsh but there was a reason Jimin left and I think I see it.”

Yoongi wasn't sure why but his stomach was starting to curl as if he had eaten something bad. It wasn't quite what he wanted to hear.

“He left after I was in the police academy. The times were bad and he needed someone that would open up to him. I couldn't do it and in turn I couldn't give him the comfort he wanted when things got rough for him.”

Silence ensued and Yoongi continued. “I fell deeper into depression and I had to quit the academy after he left me. It was a hard couple of months of intense therapy and medication but Jimin and his boyfriend we're there for me.”

“You were depressed?” Hoseok asked quietly.

“Yeah.” Yoongi replied. “I've always struggled with it.”

There was a pause and Yoongi could almost picture the sympathetic look on Hoseok's face, it was the kind he got a lot from people who found out about his mental illness.

“Oh.” He finally said.

“I understand you though.” Yoongi said.

“Are you still thinking about it?”

“Yes.” Yoongi admitted.

“I'm not excusing your behavior based on your mental illness.”

Yoongi smirked at the sound of Hoseok's voice, it’s fiery spark back.

“Perfectly fine.”

“, now I got to think.”

“That’s fine too.” Yoongi replied.

“Bye...Minty.”

“Bye.”

“What happened?” Jungkook pressed when Yoongi put his phone away.

“I don’t know...I feel.” Yoongi scratched his head. “Sad.”

“Sounds like you’re in love.”

Yoongi shook his head. “I don’t know him that well.”

“You just shared about Jimin.” Jungkook countered.

“I felt I owed him an explanation.” 
“You don’t do that easily though hyung. You like him at least.”

“Maybe.”

“Don’t overthink your feelings hyung.” Jungkook patted the man on the back. “Sometimes you just gotta feel.”

Yoongi offered him a small smile. Wondering when the young man had gotten so mature? “Okay Jungkook.”


He didn’t hear back from Hoseok and Yoongi found himself standing outside in the corner of the club, smoking. He had attempted to dress good, but hadn’t bothered with makeup. He wasn’t a pro at it like Hoseok and had almost ended up poking his eye out.

A figure sauntered up to him and as they came into the light, Yoongi recognized Hoseok. His heart raced and he swallowed heavily. Hoseok was donning a olive green bomber jacket with a white shirt that fit him snugly highlighting his lean frame. He looked good, really good.

Hoseok smiled and ran a hand through his black hair.

Yoongi dropped his cigarette and stepped on it with his boot. “You came.”

Hoseok nodded. He looked up and down at Yoongi’s outfit of a leather jacket, black v neck and equally black skinny jeans before giving an approving thumbs up. Yoongi smiled.

“I still like you.” Hoseok murmured.

“I like you too.” Yoongi admitted. All this time he had missed Hoseok. While he hadn’t known the man for long, he had felt immediately comfortable with him. He was cute, witty, handsome, and made a great partner in bed and in solving crime.

He also couldn’t ignore the fluttering in his heart as he watched Hoseok look at him shyly with a soft smile.

“Really?”

“Yeah.”

They stood in silence staring at each other and Yoongi had never quite felt so warm. It was similar to when he had been dating Jimin, but it was different. More exciting, more new. Jimin had been his friend beforehand, but Hoseok was a stranger. There was still a lot to discover about him.

Hoseok finally broke the silence and laughed, covering his mouth. “I expected a monologue with a bunch of reasons why, along with a passionate kiss.”

“How about dinner instead?” Yoongi offered.

“And a kiss?” Hoseok wiggled his eyebrows.

“I don’t kiss on the first date.”

Hoseok gaped.“I’ve been inside you, twice.”

Yoongi shrugged. “Way I was raised.”

Hoseok laughed again and Yoongi couldn’t fight the chuckle that escaped him. Jungkook had been right after all, sometimes it was better to feel than to think.

They made it into the club and went their separate ways. Yoongi took his position by the bar, ordering a lemonade while Hoseok started dancing and flirting with the hordes of men on the dance floor.

Yoongi felt the small pang of jealousy at his newfound partner as he smiled and laughed at whatever dumb things the men said. He knew it was fake, but he couldn’t help thinking Hoseok enjoyed the attention too much.

Hoseok returned to the bar, sweaty and grinning. “Anything suspicious yet?”

“Just your loyalty.” Yoongi muttered, sipping his lemonade.

Hoseok ordered a shot and pinched the man’s cheek. “Jealous Minty? This is new.”

“I don’t like it.”

“Well I could kiss you for reassurance...” Hoseok said with a flirtatious look in his eyes. He leaned closer to Yoongi and wet his lips. Yoongi eyed the mole on those wet lips and subconsciously opened his mouth. Hoseok leaned back with a satisfied smirk. “But I don’t kiss on the first date.”

Yoongi snorted.

Hoseok’s shot arrived and he downed it quickly before leaving money. “I’m going back in.”

Yoongi nodded and went back to sipping his drink, pretending he wasn’t just disappointed Hoseok hadn’t kissed him.

After a while, Yoongi noticed a tall white man approach Hoseok and dance beside him. He slowly grew closer until he was grabbing at Hoseok and grinding against him. Yoongi caught the uncomfortable look on Hoseok's face and he grew angry at the way the man was treating Hoseok.

He tried to stand up, but held back.

Hoseok meanwhile tried to dance away but the man followed him, his grabs growing more insistent.

“.” Yoongi muttered.

Hoseok gave Yoongi a look from across the club and made his way out.

The man followed close behind with a leery smile.

Yoongi paid for his drinks with a stack of cash and rushed to the exit.

He searched around the alley, apologizing to the couples he interrupted making out.

He grew hopeless when he failed to see Hoseok. Had the man kidnapped him? Drove off? What if he was dead already? Yoongi grew nauseous at the thought of seeing Hoseok's body on the floor in the snow, a rainbow flag on the back of his neck.

Picturing the gruesome vision, he vomited behind a pair of trash cans.

As he wiped his mouth with the back of his hand he heard yelling.

Yoongi ran toward the sound. He then saw Hoseok in a corner, squirming as the man was holding him against the wall.

Yoongi couldn't even process what was happening, suddenly he was jumping at the man and dragging him down by the ears.

Hoseok free, kicked the man in the balls causing him to scream in pain. The couples in the alley scattered like cockroaches at the scene.

“Help me turn him around.” Yoongi ordered.

He and Hoseok placed the man facedown on the grimy concrete and Yoongi placed a pair of handcuffs on the man.

“You're under arrest .” Yoongi growled and speed dialed Jungkook.

“Yeah you murderer!” Hoseok added, pulling a rainbow flag from the man's pocket and waving it triumphantly.

The man looked between them confused. “Huh? I'm not a murderer!”

His Korean was heavily accented but it was clear what he was saying.

“This guy was flirting. I thought he wanted it.”

The confusion in the man's eyes made Yoongi frown.

“As if!” Hoseok spat. “I'm taken! That was just bait to catch you, you murderer!”

The man's blue eyes went wide.

He really didn't know. Yoongi realized.

“Hoseok help him up.”

“No way, let him rot on the ground Minty!”

“He doesn't know.”

“Eh?”

“This man is a possible , but not the murderer.”

“Oh.” Realization dawned on Hoseok.

“Hey!” The man protested at the sound of him being labeled a possible . Hoseok dragged him up and placed him on the wall.

“You're still terrible.” Hoseok told him.

Yoongi wholeheartedly agreed.


The club was shut down and people ran out in swarms at the sound of the police sirens. Those curious enough formed a circle around Yoongi, Hoseok, and the white man.

Jungkook along with two other police officers came up to them.

“He wasn't the murderer.” Yoongi explained. “He was a victim. His next victim. Someone is attacking gay foreigners too.”

Hoseok put a hand on Yoongi's back comfortingly.

“And now that the police has been called he knows we're on his trail.” Yoongi continued.

Jungkook shot him a sympathetic look. “Sorry hyung.”

Yoongi sighed with a grimace.

“We'll take the attempted in anyway.” Jungkook added.

“Hey!” The man cried.

Hoseok glared at him and the man lowered his head as he was taken away.


Hoseok convinced Yoongi to come with him to a tent that served udon.

They sat sipping their soup and Yoongi occasionally taking shots of soju. Each time he did Hoseok refilled the glass knowing the man needed it.

“I'm sorry Minty.”

Yoongi gave a shrug. Hoseok reached across the small plastic table and held his hand. He was surprised when Yoongi didn't pull away, only doing so when he needed to eat.

After eating in silence Hoseok dropped him off home.

“Yoongi…” Hoseok broke the silence.

Yoongi lit a cigarette and put the car window down. He sighed out a long drag.

“You should cut back.”

“I guess.”

Hoseok held his hand again. It was cooler and paler and surprisingly bigger than his own. He liked it.

“It's okay.”

“This was my first case in years. Why did I think I could just solve it out of nowhere? I’m not a real detective.”

“Of course you are!” Hoseok protested. “Don’t be so down on yourself. We’ll try again!” 
“No.” Yoongi shook his head. “It’s over, I’m calling Seokjin tomorrow.”

“Yoongi…” Hoseok held his hand tighter.

“Thanks for everything.”

“Wait. Is it over for us too?” Hoseok looked at him noticing the sadness and disappointment in Yoongi’s eyes. He couldn’t possibly…

“I don’t know.” Yoongi replied. “I don’t want you to waste your time with someone like me. You hardly know me.”

“Let me get to know you.” Hoseok smiled.

Yoongi smiled back and pulled his hand away but Hoseok refused to let go. “You’re not going to let me go are you?”

“Of course not, Minty.” Hoseok brought his hand to his face, caressing it like a cat would. He then pressed a small kiss on it and gave Yoongi a smile that made the man melt. He smiled back.

“After I meet with Seokjin, come over. I could use the company.”

“Oh Minty!” Hoseok’s eyes widened dramatically. “So scandalous!”

“Don’t read too much into it.”

Hoseok laughed.


“I’m disappointed in you.”

“I’m sorry.” Yoongi apologized sincerely.

He was at Seokjin’s fancy gay house again, sipping black tea with croissants made by Seokjin’s French chef who had flown in straight from France that morning.

“I know you tried though.” Seokjin softened at the sight of remorse on Yoongi’s face.

“I did.”

“Thanks anyway.” Seokjin gave the smallest of smiles, but Yoongi could see the crestfallen expression in his eyes along with a hint of anxiety.

With no one trying to stop the murderer it was only a matter of time before someone with a wealth and ual orientation like Seokjin was killed.


Yoongi was back at the pond. He was tossing last week’s breadsticks at the ducks as he chewed his lip in frustration.

His phone vibrated in his coat and he saw it was Jungkook.

“They released the almost .”

“Bastards.”

“Want his address? I won’t tell.”

“Sure.” Yoongi replied. He hung up then tossed another breadstick at a goose. It honked in alarm before digging in with the other ducks. He thought of how the guy had almost been a victim…

He had also had a flag in his pocket.

Maybe he knew where it had come from.

Maybe he was a lead…

He received another call and answered it quickly when he realized who it was.

“Case is back on.”

“Huh?”

“Pick me up. I’m at the park.”


He explained everything as he and Hoseok drove to the address Jungkook had sent him. Hoseok flashed a bright smile at the determination set in Yoongi’s eyes again. He parked on the street as they got out and approached a small house with a perfectly manicured lawn. Hoseok nearly tripped over a garden gnome on the way up the porch steps, causing Yoongi to smirk. The man flushed red and fanned his face as they approached the door.

The white man from the club answered and when he recognized them he scowled.

“Why should I talk to you s?” He asked when Yoongi told him about the Rainbow Murders case.

“I’m not going to apologize for what I did.” Yoongi said, calmly. “You tried to force yourself onto him.”

“It was horrible and totally not consensual!” Hoseok added.

The man seemed to soften and Hoseok could see the regret in his eyes. “Fine, . I’m sorry.”

“Apology accepted.” Hoseok smiled. Then grew serious. “Now tell us where you got the flag that was in your pocket from.”

“I didn’t know it was in there until you pulled it out.” The man admitted.

“So you didn’t see who gave it to you?” Yoongi pressed. If he could get anything, anything , it would help him piece together a clue.

“No…” The man then scratched the stubble on his chin. “Well there was a guy who was carrying some around.”

Yoongi and Hoseok perked up immediately.

“He was handing them out and chanting about equality or something. The bar owner tried to kick him out since he bothered people.” The man continued.

“What did he look like?” Yoongi demanded.

“Korean, mid 20’s, tan skin, tall, pink hair, round face uh, thick lips...actually…” The man pulled his phone from his pocket. “I took selfies that night…”

Hoseok leaned over and frowned. “Is that...my ?”

“Sorry.” The man smiled weakly.

“Delete that please.” Hoseok muttered.

The man nodded and deleted the picture before swiping to the next one. He zoomed in on it and showed it to them.

“That’s him.”

Yoongi grabbed the phone and inspected it closely. Hoseok did the same and let out a gasp.

“Hey wait! I know him!”

Yoongi raised his eyebrows.

“It’s my friend, Namjoon.”

“Your friend?”

“Yes.” Hoseok nodded.

Yoongi handed the phone back and thanked the man for his time. Once the door closed on them they made it back through the lawn and to the car.

“Let’s go pay your friend a visit.” Yoongi said as they got in.

Hoseok gave a firm nod.