Chapter One

Min Yoongi, P.I. and the Rainbow Flag Murders

Min Yoongi took a long drag from his cigarette as he leaned against the wall of a grocery store. He breathed out, watching as the smoke billowed into the cold October air. He glanced at his phone, it was already half past twelve.

The woman should have been passing by already on the way to lunch. He took another puff and scanned his surroundings.

Sure enough, there she was.  

With the shortest skirt, 6-inch heels, and smoky eye shadow on a Monday afternoon, she stood out.

She walked gracefully past him, with a flip of her long black hair.

He stepped on his cigarette and carefully followed, but at a distance.

She was his client's girlfriend and he was supposed to catch her in the act.

Yoongi hated these types of jobs, every so often an insecure man would come along and ask for him to follow their girlfriend. There was no trust in their relationships and half the time, their suspicions were true which made it even worse.

Yoongi hoped this wouldn't be one of those times.

He followed her to a cafe, watching as she sat down and sipped at her blended latte. She was there for ten minutes before heading off the street, passing the park Yoongi frequented. She made a right turn bumping into another woman with a skirt too short and her makeup too heavy. They greeted each other eagerly. The other woman going into a rant about her kids and her useless husband.

Yoongi slipped around the corner and lit a cigarette, occasionally listening.

“Interesting isn't it?”

Yoongi turned and saw a man behind him. He turned back. It was probably some homeless or boy toy from the red light district, who were known to shop around as well as pick up clientele. “Sure.”

The women had finished gossiping and his target was now making her way down the street. He hurried and took a last puff of his cigarette before stomping it out and walking after her.

“Didn't take you for the stalker type.” The man called, a little too loudly.

Yoongi glanced around as a couple of heads turned to look at him.

He scowled. “Listen you-”

He was caught off guard as the man smirked, one hand on his hip. He was around Yoongi's age with parted black hair and a white T-shirt and jeans, but the markings on his neck, the tanned skin from working outside, and the arrogance in his eyes gave him away.

He was a boy toy straight from the red light district.

He was a e. A nosy one, at that.

“Leave me alone.” Yoongi growled, walking away.

The man followed with a chuckle.

“Stop following me.”

“It's a free country.” The man replied. “Plus, I don't think you're in a position to say that.”

Yoongi grit his teeth and scanned his area. The target was gone, a block and a half away by now.

He kept walking until he passed an alleyway where he slipped in and turned around waiting for the man to follow.

“Did you lose your victim?”

“No I didn't lose her.” Yoongi snapped. “And she's not my victim. She's my target.”

“Wow, still predatory.” The man crossed his arms.

“I meant I was hired to follow her.” Yoongi sighed. He pulled out his license. “I'm a hired P.I.”

The man leaned forward and read his certification, glancing at the license then back at Yoongi with narrowed eyes.

“You're a private detective?”

“More like investigator, but sure.”

The man smirked. “Figures with that hair.”

Yoongi flattened his mint colored hair, what was wrong with it?

“And that height.”

Hey!

The man smiled. “Someone's sensitive.”

“Look I got a job to do. So scram.” Yoongi said, walking out and jogging down the street. She couldn't have gone far. He went down two blocks each one making his chance at getting paid dwindle.

Had he really lost her?

Yoongi ran down the next block, stopping in his tracks when he saw her a couple feet ahead with a man. They linked arms and smiled at each other as they made their way into a jewelry store.

Yoongi panted and pulled out his phone. He slipped up against the store window, getting a view of the inside. The woman and man were looking at the rings section.

They were getting engaged.

Boy, was his client going to be heartbroken.

He pressed on his phone's camera.

“Isn't that illegal?”

The voice near his ear made Yoongi jump and fumble with his phone.

It nearly fell but he caught it in time, shoving it in his coat pocket.

“I thought I told you to scram.” He eyed the man and the smile on his face. When the man didn't say anything, Yoongi turned back and took more pictures. He scrolled through them, nodding in satisfaction before emailing them.

In celebration, he pulled out a cigarette, lighting it up quickly and taking a long drag.

“Can I have some?”

Yoongi blew out smoke and raised his eyebrows. “Why are you still here?”

The man smiled and shrugged, Yoongi handing him the cigarette, wordlessly. The man took it between his lips inhaling, he immediately choked, bending over to cough.

Yoongi smiled slightly in satisfaction before nodding goodbye and departing. Taking his cigarette with him.


 He made it back to his apartment, peeling his clothes off layer by layer. In just a white T-shirt and boxers he sat on the couch munching on yesterday’s leftover Thai noodles.

Yoongi then checked his voicemail, wondering if the cheating girlfriend’s boyfriend received the photos and would cry to him about how there was no loyalty anymore.

 

“Hello, my name is Kim Seokjin and I have a job for you. Call me back as soon as you can so we can set up a time and place to meet. Thank you.”

 

Yoongi sat up, setting his carton to the side. Another job so soon? And the guy sounded so serious.

He hoped to God it wasn’t another stalking job, he’d had quite enough of that. He quickly called the man back, surprised when he answered.

“Hello.”

“Hello, I heard you had a job for me?” Yoongi said.

“Is this the Min Yoongi fellow?”

“Yes.”

“I want you to meet me tomorrow at 3:00pm at the address I’m about to send you.”

“Okay.” Yoongi replied. “Wait, can I know what the job is?”

Please don’t be girlfriend stalking, please…

“I would prefer to say in person.” Kim Seokjin answered. “I’ll text you the address right now, goodbye.”

“Good…” The man hung up abruptly. “Bye…”

Yoongi sighed and put his phone down leaning his head back. He sat up when his cellphone vibrated and he read the address.

Gangnam!

The guy lived in Gangnam!

Yoongi stood up with a smile. Gangnam meant money and money meant food! He didn’t care if he had to go find this guy’s missing keys, he was sure to make a profit. Excited, he quickly jotted down the address then finished his leftovers.


 The next day Yoongi wore his nicest jacket and jeans and took a taxi to Seokjin’s house. When he arrived to the man’s home, he had to keep his jaw from dropping. Kim Seokjin lived in a giant condo, complete with a gated door and a butler on the outside, guarding.

He approached cautiously, the butler eyeing his clothes then his hair with displeasure. Yoongi bowed politely then texted Seokjin he was there.

The guard not a minute later received a message from his bluetooth earpiece and nodded to Yoongi, opening the gate.

Yoongi made it to the house seven minutes later, the door opening before he had a chance to knock.

Standing there was a tall man with brown hair and a frown.

“Are you Min Yoongi?” He asked. “The private detective?”

“Well more like investigator, but yes.”

The man took an eyeful of his bright mint hair then escorted him inside.

Yoongi tried not to roll his eyes.

He liked his hair, even if others failed to take him seriously.

He was led into an extravagant room with metallic and rose colored walls with diamond patterns. Seokjin sat on a white armchair, prompting Yoongi to do the same.

When they settled down he asked. “What kind of job did you want me to do?”

“Straight to business huh?” Seokjin smiled.

Yoongi nodded.

“There’s a murderer targeting gays. He’s murdered four people already, they're calling them the Rainbow Flag Murders. I’m afraid for...myself and my friends.”

“Well that seems reasonable.”

“I’m... gay .” Seokjin leaned in and whispered. He then looked around with wild eyes as if there was someone listening in. Yoongi wanted to laugh.

He could honestly care less.

“And I’m a lamb skewer enthusiast, what of it?”

Seokjin managed a smile as a servant came in and placed a tray of coffee and lumps of sugar in front of them.

“I hired you because you’re unknown.” Seokjin explained, mixing sugar into his coffee. “Paparazzi won’t track you down and affiliate you with me, since most people don’t know I’m gay. Not that I'm ashamed, but you know how this country is and--”

Yoongi frowned, interrupting. “Not much of a compliment to be unknown.”

“Sorry.” Seokjin smiled. “Look, just find the murderer and get him arrested and 50,000 dollars will be yours.”

50,000 dollars!

“Ok.” Yoongi nodded quickly.

“Ok?” Seokjin smiled with an eyebrow raised. “It’s not too little? I know you would be risking your life so if you wanted to--”

“It’s perfect.” Yoongi interrupted, nodding. “I’ll do it.”

Seokjin chuckled and rose from his seat to a nearby bookcase. He pulled out a folder and handed it to the man.

“Do well.”

“I will, thank you.” Yoongi took the folder and bowed.


 After drinking his coffee, he made his way out of Kim Seokjin’s house and to his favorite park. It wasn’t very crowded and there was a secluded area with trees and a bench by a pond he was fond of.

He sat there, throwing bits of bread to the nearby ducks while skimming through the file. There wasn’t much information. There wasn’t even suspects yet. The police had basically given up on this case.

Yoongi pulled out a cigarette and lit it as he threw more bread. He took a long drag then sighed it out, watching it float into the cold autumn air.

“Well well well, if it isn’t Minty Yoongi P.I.”

Yoongi turned to the voice and gave an eyeroll at the sight of the man from before. The e who wouldn’t stop pestering him.

“Hah.” Yoongi smirked. “Clever.”

“I try.” The man shrugged and sat beside him. He motioned to the folder. “Stalking another cheater?”

“Nah, I got a real case now.”

The man smiled and clapped, feigning excitement. Yoongi glared then turned to look at the ducks as they fought over his bread on the grass.

“Don’t be so grumpy Minty, you could use a drink.”

Yoongi sat up immediately and looked at the man. “You go to gay bars?”

The man smiled and raised his eyebrows. “Doesn’t everyone?”

“You know anyone there?” Yoongi pressed. This man could be the help he needed.

“Why? You want to get in for free?”

Yoongi nodded.

“Didn’t take you for a clubber.” The man looked him up and down then smiled. “Or a gay.”

“Not a clubber.” Yoongi shook his head. “Also my ual orientation is none of your business.”

“Well then why do you need to get in?” The man cocked his head to the side in question.

“I need to talk to the employees there.”

“For your big case?” The man grinned.

For a e he sure smiles a lot, Yoongi thought. The workers he had met before had been grumpy, grumpier than him. Though he could see why with their line of work.

“Yes.” He replied.

“Alright I can help you.” The man reached over him and threw a slice of bread at the ducks. He then turned to Yoongi with another beaming smile. “As long as I get half.”

“What? No!”

“Want my help or not?”

“Why should you get so much?” Yoongi demanded.

“Because I’ll be your partner.” The man held up a thumbs up. “Jung Hoseok, Assistant P.I.”

A name to a face. Yoongi would have to search up Hoseok’s name later to see if that was his real name.

“You aren’t licensed.” Yoongi frowned.

“I’m licensed in good looks.” Hoseok placed his hands on his face forming a V shape.

Yoongi snorted. “Hah.”

Hoseok frowned for the first time since they had met and Yoongi noticed the funny shape of his lips, almost like a triangle.

“I’m not paying you half.” Yoongi took another drag of his cigarette.

“Suit yourself.” Hoseok shook his head in mock disappointment and left.

I can do it alone, I’ve always done it alone. Yoongi thought as he finished up his cigarette and tossed the last of his bread at the ducks.