i think everybody knows, baby, i like you lots

lust for life

Jennie twirls her fork in her plate of pasta listlessly as Rose and Jisoo share their own across the table, chatting away happily. The two have always been close and Jennie has always suspected that something was going on between them, but ever since they confessed that they were dating, their public displays of affection have been more noticeable to Jennie as of late. Her chest twinges a little with jealousy. It wasn’t that she wasn’t happy for her friends, it was just that she couldn’t deny that she wants a relationship like theirs for herself. She wants the casual intimacy, the knowing looks, the hand holding and cheek kissing; a relationship with someone that can be her best friend and more.

An image of a particular girl flashes in Jennie’s mind.

Which brings her to the newest addition in her list of dilemmas.

“Hey guys,” she forces out, before she loses her nerve, “I think I have a crush on Lisa.”

There was a beat of complete silence before Rose bursts out into a squeal of delight.

“I called it,” she says triumphantly as Jisoo sighs and takes her purse out, handing a bill to her.

Jennie raises one perfectly done brow at them, but it does nothing to quell Rose’s excitement. Jisoo shrugs in response.

“This is great,” says Rose. “So… are you going to ask her out?”

Jennie can feel her stomach tighten and constrict from dread. “God, no.” 

As if, she thinks bitterly.

“Why not?” Rose asks.

“Well,” Jennie sighs, “first of all, my parents wouldn’t be okay with… you know.”

The girls nod solemnly in understanding.

“Besides, we don’t even know if she’s gay—”

Rose snorts, and Jisoo shoots her a pointed—albeit confused—look.

“Sorry,” she says. “I thought it was obvious she is. Guess not.”

“Huh. Well, then we don’t know if she feels the same way,” Jennie continues coolly, ignoring the poorly concealed sadness in Jisoo’s face. “So.”

She looks out of the shop’s spotless glass windows, watching the amber sunset blanketing the skyline.

“You know, people romanticize summer so much,” the brunette muses. “But sometimes it can be really lonely.”

“Okay, Maya Angelou.” Rose sighs tiredly. “How do you even know Lisa doesn’t like you back?”

“Hmm,” Jisoo hums, making a pensive face. 

Jennie turns her gaze to Rose intently. “Do you know something?”

The girl in question purses her lips, silently maintaining eye contact for a few moments before finally speaking, “I’m just saying. It’s not impossible, you know.”

 

When Jennie arrives home that evening, she heads straight to her room with a mission.