(oh my god) i think i'm in love

lust for life

“Lisa?” Jennie says tentatively as soon as the call connects. “Sorry, I know it’s super late and short notice but can you pick me up?”

“Yeah, of course,” Lisa’s sleepy voice crackles tinnily through the phone. “Are you okay?”

“I’m good. Sorry, did I wake you?”

“No, no, it’s fine, I was up,” says Lisa, clearly lying.

“Perfect.” Jennie smiles. “Thanks, Lisa.”

“Sure,” Lisa yawns. “See you soon.”

Jennie changes out of her pjs into an oversized hoodie and a pair of denim shorts. She pulls her hair into a high ponytail and checks herself in the mirror, deciding to put on at least a bit of makeup. She grabs a pair of slides and silently steps out of her room, down the stairs and out of the front door, closing it quietly behind her before stepping into her slides. She shivers in the chilly late night breeze on her short walk to Lisa’s car. She gets in and closes the door, greeting the blonde while buckling her seatbelt.

“Hey,” Lisa says casually, watching Jennie with sleepy eyes. She’s wearing a plain white shirt and baggy black sweatpants, most likely the same clothes she was sleeping in twenty minutes ago. “What’s up? Where are we going?”

“Just get us to the highway,” says Jennie. “I’ll tell you.”

Lisa raises an eyebrow but doesn’t ask, and pulls out of the driveway onto the street. They drive down the road in silence. Weirdly enough, she doesn’t ask Jennie to play her music as she usually does. Nervous, the brunette begins to regret everything. Is Lisa annoyed at her for waking her up at 1am for a spontaneous drive? She contemplates just going back home and asking Lisa to turn around, but Lisa cuts through her internal struggle with her anxious thoughts.

“So, which way?” the blonde looks at her expectantly when they stop at a red light.

“Right, sorry,” Jennie says sheepishly before giving her further directions.

“Are you gonna tell me where we’re headed?” Lisa asks.

They’re going on a two-hour drive to a hill nicknamed Moonlight Hill, where at night there is a stunning view of the city skyline and its lights, and of course, the moon. Rose once told them that lovers frequent the place, and Lisa had said that she’s never been there and has never even heard of it.

“Nope,” Jennie says simply. “Hey, can I play some music?”

Lisa nods. “Sure.”

Jennie starts a playlist that she had made only a few hours before, filled with acoustic love songs dedicated to Lisa. They don’t talk save for whenever Jennie tells her which way to go.

“Hey,” Jennie breaks their silence an hour into their drive, spotting a 24-hour fast food restaurant ahead, “wanna stop for ice cream? My treat.”

“Sure.”

“And then the beach? I think my legs are starting to slip into a coma.”

Lisa laughs softly, her eyes bright. “Okay.”

They get their ice cream at the drive-thru and Jennie suggests going to a nearby beach, to which Lisa complies. Driving with one hand, Lisa nearly drops her cone in her lap, making the both of them laugh.

“Here, give it to me,” Jennie manages to say through her laughter, taking the cone from Lisa’s hand and holding it up steadily to her face.

“Thanks,” Lisa chuckles, focusing on driving ahead.

Soon enough they reach their destination, where Lisa puts the car in park. She walks around the front of the car to open the door for the brunette. Jennie hands the cone back to her and climbs out of the car, and the pair start to walk away from the carpark to the beach, side by side.

“Why here?” Lisa asks through a mouthful of soft serve.

Jennie shrugs. “It’s nice and calm.”

“So are some closer beaches,” Lisa quips playfully.

Jennie rolls her eyes in response. “Eat your ice cream.”

Lisa laughs, and the two stroll along the shore as they eat.

“You didn’t ask for napkins,” Jennie says, dismayed, once they finish their ice cream. Their hands were sticky, so they crouch down and wash their hands in the water.

“That’s my fault?”

“Well it’s not mine,” scoffs Jennie, reaching back into the water with her hands cupped and throwing water at the blonde, giggling.

“Hey!” Lisa squeals although she manages to dodge, quickly retaliating and landing a splash on Jennie’s forearm, some of the water and sand hitting her cheek.

“Eugh,” Jennie says, spitting out dramatically and swiping her sleeve across her lips. “You got it in my mouth!”

“Ha!” Lisa laughs triumphantly. “So, where to now?”

Jennie thinks it over. If she waits until they reach the hill and her confession doesn’t go well, she’ll have to be stuck in a car with Lisa in awful silence for another hour and… Oh, God. She stands up and takes the blonde’s hands to help pull her upright. She doesn’t let go.

“I was thinking,” Jennie begins, looking down at her feet.

“Uh-oh,” Lisa intones jokingly.

Jennie rolls her eyes and smiles faintly, shifting her gaze to their clasped hands. “Shut up.”

“Okay, you were thinking…?”

“I’ve only known you for a little while, but I have this… big dumb crush… on you. I just like you so much, you’re so cool and I kinda wanna hang out with you for the rest of my life,” she rambles nervously, “you know what I mean?”

When she musters the courage to look up, Lisa is gazing at her in stunned silence.

“,” Jennie curses under her breath, already feeling the tears welling up. Eyes squeezed shut, she shakes her head and drops Lisa’s hands. “Sorry, I…”

“For what?” Lisa grabs her wrists gently. “No. Jen, look at me.”

“Just forget it,” the brunette snaps, tight from keeping herself from sobbing out loud.

“Jennie,” Lisa repeats softly.

She shakes her head stubbornly, tears beginning to slip down her cheeks. God, she’s so embarrassed. How could she have been so stupid? Of course Lisa doesn’t feel the same… and it hurts so much she can physically feel it in her chest and the tears are falling—

Jennie sees Lisa’s hand through her tears and feels it tilt her chin up, and the next thing she knows is that they’re in a liplock. She swears her heart could have burst out of her chest then. Eyes closed, she gently moves against Lisa’s soft lips, and they’re kissing deeper, and deeper, and deeper—

“Oh my God,” she breathes once they break away from the kiss.

“What?” Lisa asks, looking concerned. There’s a beat of silence before Jennie explodes into hysterics.

“You !” Jennie cries. “I had a plan—this was supposed to happen somewhere nicer! I was taking you to that stupid hill and—”

She trails off, realising that Lisa was giggling.

“What?” she snaps.

“Such a perfectionist,” Lisa laughs. 

Jennie shrugs defeatedly. “Yeah, well.”

“It’s okay, you know,” Lisa says. “It’s perfect. You’re perfect.”

“God,” Jennie says through a watery laugh. “I…”

The blonde is looking at her expectantly. “What?”

“I think I love you.”

“Yeah?” Lisa smiles her ever-so-perfect bright smile, and Jennie’s heart skips a beat. “I think I love you, too.”