keep me warm underneath my skin ('cause i'm giving in)

lust for life

"She's not picking up her phone."

Jennie's words fall on deaf ears. She glances at her friends only to see them absorbed in the movie they had put on. Although absorbed in each other is more like it.

"Should I go get her?" Jennie asks, slightly louder this time.

"She did say she'll come here herself," Jisoo says. "She's probably still driving."

Jennie stands in Rose's living room balcony, looking down at the streets below, while the two lounge on the sofa.

"You guys better have food because it was such a chore finding a parking space."

Jennie, Rose and Jisoo whirl around at the sound of Lisa's voice to find the blonde standing in the doorway, still in her work uniform, an overnight bag slung on her shoulder.

Jisoo wolf-whistles. "Hey!"

"How did you get in?!" Rose asks in shock.

"Why weren't you answering your phone?" Jennie adds.

"Kind of a long story," Lisa sighs, letting herself in and closing the door behind her. "Also, you clearly forgot to lock this."

"Jennie!" Rose snaps. She shoots Lisa a grateful look as the girl locks the door.

"Oh, ," Jennie sighs, remembering she was the last one to come in, after a quick trip to the convenience store for snacks. "My bad."

"Are you cold?" she asks the blonde, who was kicking off her shoes.

"I'm okay, I brought a—"

"Come on, I'll let you borrow some clothes," Jennie grabs the girl's wrist and leads her into a small spare room.

"Jennie?" Lisa says questioningly as the brunette rummages in her overnight bag on top of an old bed.

"Here," Jennie hands her one of her oversized Stüssy shirts and sits down on the mattress.

"Thanks, but..." Lisa trails off, clutching the shirt to her chest, "are you alright?"

"Yeah," Jennie says quietly, "I just can't take the... tension... between those two."

Lisa stares at her in shock, whispering, "Wait, what?"

"It's been torture being alone with them," Jennie mutters.

"Oh my God, really?" the blonde breathes out an incredulous laugh. "I mean, I saw it coming, but..."

"I know."

She tries to be cool and collected as Lisa changes out of her uniform right in front of her, torn between watching to her eyes' content and respectfully looking away. She decides on just looking at her face.

"What are you guys doing?"

Jennie's eyes flit to the door and Lisa cranes her neck to see Rose peering into the room.

"Just changing," the blonde says plainly as she pulls Jennie's shirt on.

"Right, sorry," Rose says with an apologetic grin as she leaves.

"Thanks for helping me out earlier, by the way," Jennie says as Lisa folds her discarded clothes and puts them in her own bag. "I'd probably still be working on that essay if it weren't for you."

Lisa leans over the brunette as she places her own bag on top of the bed. "Don't worry about it."

Jennie stands, coming up face to face with Lisa. "Let's go."

The girl smiles in response and they walk out into the living room, where Rose and Jisoo are cuddled up on the couch talking amongst themselves.

Jennie and Lisa share a knowing look; the brunette rolls her eyes at the blonde's excited face.

"Hey, what are you watching?" Jennie asks, announcing their presence.

"The Conjuring 2," Jisoo answers. "You're just in time for the finale."

"Nice."

"Can we watch something else?" Lisa pouts, gazing at the screen in distaste. "I hate scary movies."

"Nope," Jisoo says with a mischievous smile. "We're going to watch scary movies all night."

"Stop smiling like that! It's creepy!" Lisa cries.

"Come on, come on, sit."

"There's no room," Jennie says.

"The floor is there for a reason," Jisoo replies with a cheeky grin.

The brunette rolls her eyes. She follows Lisa nonetheless and they sit on the floor, leaning their backs on the couch.

"Hey, Lisa, what took you so long?" Jisoo asks. "Where did you even park?"

"At the assigned visitor parking area," Lisa sighs. "It's a bit of a walk."

"I rent two parking spots," Rose says.

"Jisoo's car is down there with yours," Lisa reminds her. "Isn't it?"

"Oh, right."

"You never told us how you got in the building," Jisoo nudges the blonde's shoulder with her foot.

"I had to wait for someone to come in, and no one's really around this time of night," Lisa says with a shudder.

"Why didn't you just call me?" Jennie asks, frowning.

Lisa grins sheepishly. "My phone died."

"You're such an idiot sometimes," Jisoo sighs.

"Hey!" the blonde says indignantly.

"Are you guys comfortable?" Rose asks as she stands up. "I'll get us some blankets."

"Need any help?" Jisoo offers, already on her feet.

"Please."

The two walk out of the room, and Jennie turns to the girl beside her. "You can charge your phone over there. Grab mine for me."

She points to a power point next to the tv stand where her own phone was charging.

Lisa glances at the television nervously, as a particularly suspenseful scene plays. She looks at Jennie incredulously. "No way."

Jennie nudges her shoulder. "Come on."

Like a child, Lisa scurries to the power point on all fours and hurriedly takes the brunette's phone, plugging the charger into hers.

"Hurry," Jennie says with a teasingly menacing tone.

While Lisa's back is still turned to her, a jump scare comes on and Jennie grabs the girl's ankle suddenly with a sharp cry.

Lisa jumps, letting out a startled scream that quickly dissolves into giggling with the brunette.

"Jennie!" she wails, crawling back to Jennie's side. "You're so mean."

"What the hell are you guys doing?" Rose raises an eyebrow at the two as she enters the room, dropping a pile of comforters on the floor. She grabs the remote control from the couch and pauses the movie. "The neighbors are going to call the cops on us."

"I might call them myself," Lisa pouts. "She's trying to kill me."

"Did you die though?" Jennie grins and pushes herself up onto the couch as the two spread the comforters out on the floor.

"Are we all sleeping here?" Jisoo asks as she walks in with an armful of blankets and pillows, setting them down on their improvised bed.

"Might as well," Rose shrugs while they settle down on the comforters.

Lisa wriggles her way into the middle, snuggling up to Jennie.

"Haven't you seen this?" Jisoo asks as she plays the movie.

"No," the blonde says. "I don't really like to watch horror movies, I get too scared after."

Jisoo flashes her an evil grin.

"Aah, stop it!"

As all sleepovers turn out, they end up on their phones, taking pictures and generally paying no attention to the movie; except for Lisa, whose phone was still plugged.

"Hey, looks like our live streams are pretty popular," Jisoo says, reading through the school website's forum.

Rose hums in agreement. "Yeah, people are talking about it on the university's social media pages as well."

"Let's do another one soon!" Jisoo says, checking herself out on her phone screen.

"You okay, Lisa?" she asks, looking at the girl lying still on her side quietly. Jisoo looks at the screen, in which a Disney movie was playing. "Oh, you changed it. Have you guys heard of the original story of this fairytale? It's crazy."

Rose frowns. "Don't ruin it for us."

"I'm hungry," Jennie declares. "Anyone else?"

"Yeah, I'm craving ramyeon," Jisoo sighs.

"Let's have some!" Rose says excitedly.

They get up to head to the kitchen, and Rose pauses by the doorway. "Lisa, are you hungry?"

"Oh yeah, didn't you say you wanted food earlier?" Jisoo asks.

The three glance curiously at the blonde curled up on the comforters.

Rose giggles. "Is she already sleeping?"

"Yeah," Jennie says lowly, watching the blonde's thin frame move with her breathing. "She's probably tired from work."

"Oh." Jisoo shrugs. "Alright then, we'll go make the ramyeon."

Jennie carefully adjusts the girl to a more comfortable position and gently puts a pillow under her head, covering her with a blanket. She takes a moment to admire the girl's doll-like face, brushing her hair aside softly. Lisa's nose twitches cutely, and Jennie laughs quietly to herself before catching up to Rose and Jisoo in the kitchen. The two were on the small dining table, sharing a big bowl of the noodles.

"Smells good in here."

"Yeah!" Jisoo cheers. "Now this is what I call a party."

"Is this even cooked?" Rose asks. "It hasn't really been 3 minutes."

Jisoo shrugs. "I don't like my noodles too soft."

"I think that's just an excuse to start eating sooner," Rose says, handing Jennie a fork.

Jennie nods solemnly. "I think so too."

"No way, I just have a criteria."

"Right, right."

They eat as they talk in hushed voices while the tv plays on in the other room.

"Hey, it's Saturday tomorrow," Rose says. "Well, today, technically."

Jisoo nods. "We could go out."

She immediately votes for the amusement park, while Rose suggests shopping.

"Jen, where do you wanna go?" the redhead asks.

Jennie shrugs. "I don't really have anything in mind."

"Let's ask Lisa," Jisoo says.

"She's sleeping. You can do that tomorrow."

"Wake her up then," Jisoo urges. "She has to eat anyway."

Jennie throws up her hands in resignation, heading to the living room defeatedly.

Dropping to her knees beside Lisa, she hovers over the sleeping girl and shakes her shoulder.

"Mm?" Lisa rolls onto her back with a soft groan. She opens her sleepy eyes and peers up at Jennie in confusion.

"Hey, Sleeping Beauty." Jennie teases, gently grabbing the girl's wrists before she could rub her eyes. "Let's go."

Lisa yawns as she lets herself get pulled up to her feet. "What time is it?"

"Nearly 2 o'clock," Jennie says, leading her towards the kitchen.

"Hey, we made ramyeon," Jisoo says with a goofy grin. She offers the blonde a fork as she joins the table. "Come eat!"

"As I was saying..." Rose starts, turning to Jisoo to veto the amusement park idea.

Jennie tunes the two out, watching as a drowsy smile spreads across Lisa's face while she chews her first bite, doing a little dance in her place. The brunette chuckles, and Lisa scrunches up her face as she beams at Jennie.

Conversation comes easily; they listen to Rose and Jisoo gossip about people at uni and discuss the weekend plans.

"Oi, Lisa," Jisoo shakes the girl's shoulder. "Would you rather go to the park or go shopping?"

Lisa shrugs noncommittally in response. "Either is fine."

Jennie laughs at the look on the redhead's face. Jisoo sighs in annoyance, shaking her head at the two.

"You're both useless at this."

"If you guys are planning on actually going out tomorrow," Jennie says, "we should get some sleep."

"Right."

They finish their food and Rose insists on washing their utensils, while Jisoo wipes them dry. Lisa disappears into the other room briefly, returning with a towel bundled in her arms.

"Hey, where's the bathroom?"

"Near the bedrooms," Jennie replies. "You know where it is."

She looks up from her phone to see the blonde looking at her expectantly.

"Okay," she sighs. "I'll show you."

Rose and Jisoo return to the living room while Jennie accompanies Lisa to the bathroom, standing by the doorway as the girl gets ready for bed. She stays, watching Lisa wash off her minimal makeup and brush her teeth, despite the blonde profusely apologizing for making her come with and insisting that she can leave.

"You really don't have to wait there, you know," Lisa says, bent over the sink as she rinses . "I'm all good."

"Are you sure?" Jennie says teasingly, raising an eyebrow at the blonde through the mirror. "You're not scared your reflection will try to murder you? What if a hand comes out of the—"

Lisa straightens up, turning to face the brunette with a petulant expression.

"Fine," she pouts. "Maybe you should stay with me."

Jennie is suddenly speechless, taken by the girl's natural beauty despite being bare-faced.

"Jennie?" Lisa's gentle voice cuts through her thoughts of admiration. "You okay?"

Jennie shakes her head the tiniest bit, as if to shake herself out of her reverie.

"Yeah," she says slowly. "You just have a little something on your..."

She trails off as she reaches over and wipes a trace of toothpaste from the corner of Lisa's mouth. "Got it."

"Oh." Lisa laughs softly. "Thanks."

"Don't mention it," Jennie says. She grins, "You know Jisoo would never let you live that one down if she saw it."

The blonde finishes up her routine and they make their way back to the living room. Jennie turns out the lights and they tiptoe their way through the comforters by the television light.

"Are you guys watching cartoons?" Lisa asks as she makes herself comfortable at the end side of their makeshift mattress, scrolling through her phone.

"Yeah," Jisoo snorts. "We put it on so your whiny could sleep."

"Alright, shh," Jennie, lying in between the two, huffs in annoyance. She takes both girls' phones one by one and tosses them up onto the sofa overhead, much to Jisoo's displeasure. "No talking."

"Good night," Rose says from the other end of their made-up bed.

"Good night," the three respond in chorus.

Jennie is slowly lulled to sleep by the low light and the quiet garbles from the TV.

She feels as if she's barely slept a wink when she later opens her eyes to the dark, her sleep interrupted by a quiet conversation from behind her. She furrows her brows, absently gazing at Lisa's sleeping frame as she listens in.

"It's settled then," Jisoo talks lowly.

"Right," Rose concurs in a whisper. "If we're both not married by 30, we'll marry each other. Deal?"

"Deal."

"I'm giving you guys one chance to shut up before I kill you both," Jennie cuts in.

There's a pregnant pause before the pair giggle quietly, and Jennie rolls her eyes to herself in the dark. It doesn't take long before she falls asleep in the peaceful silence.

It also doesn't take long for her to wake again, when she feels movement behind her back. Jennie squeezes her eyes shut tightly in annoyance, until she hears the familiar pattering of footsteps. She opens her eyes to dim light and cranes her neck just in time to catch a glimpse of two silhouettes making their way into Rose's room. She reaches up and feels for her phone, checking the time. The screen flashes 5:29 AM, and she tosses it back up. She makes a mental note to ask about it later.

Jennie closes her eyes, hoping to catch a few more hours of sleep uninterrupted; but Lisa starts to stir beside her.

Curious and concerned, Jennie watches the girl toss and turn, sighing deeply in her sleep.

"What's the matter?" Jennie asks softly when her eyes flutter open.

Lisa shakes her head.

"Just cold," she says, her voice rough from sleep.

Jennie lifts her blanket and Lisa wordlessly shifts to the brunette's side, sidling up to her. Jennie drapes her arm over the blonde, covering the two of them with the blanket.

Wrapped up in Lisa's comforting warmth, Jennie finally drifts off into a dreamless sleep.