when can i see you again?

lust for life

"I got lucky." 

"You... did?" Jennie responds to the statement, puzzled.

"Yeah," Lisa says, gesturing outside with a jut of her chin.

"Oh, right." Jennie realises she was referring to the rain pouring outside. Before the pair had a chance to get out of the car, there had been a sudden onslaught of rain, hard and relentless. 

"Yeah," Jennie breaks the sudden silence. "I mean... You could still be walking right now."

She turns her head to the side and looks at Lisa. 

The girl is watching the rain turn to a light drizzle through the window. Her face brightens and she turns to look at the brunette. 

"It's not raining as hard now. Should we make a run for it?" she asks, beaming at Jennie.

The brunette nods, although she doesn't want to. Right now though, she thinks she could agree to anything this girl asks her. 

Still though... her jacket would be ruined. 

Lisa must have a talent for reading minds, because she pulls her own jacket out of her bag. Without a word, she hops out of the car right out into the rain and rushes to Jennie's side, opening the door for her. 

"What are you doing?" Jennie asks, alarmed. 

"Come on, before it starts pouring again."

"Lisa—"

The blonde unceremoniously pulls Jennie out of the car and throws the jacket over her head, wrapping it around her shoulders. 

Next thing Jennie knows, they were running and giggling like little kids, huddling under the roof of Lisa's front porch as the blonde unlocks the door. 

"Shoes off."

Lisa turns on a light as they come in, and Jennie complies without thinking, kicking her shoes off and leaving them neatly by the doorway. 

Lisa takes her damp jacket and gestures to Jennie's. 

The brunette shrugs off her leather jacket and hands it over. She watches Lisa hang it neatly on a coatrack. 

"Are you slowly undressing me or what?" she teases.

"Maybe," the blonde fires back. They share a short laugh, but out of the corner of her eye, Jennie sees Lisa's lingering smile.

She follows the taller girl down the hall to the living room.

"Make yourself at home," Lisa says. 

"Thanks."

Jennie takes the room in. It has a monochromatic black and white color scheme, with classic furniture pieces and a TV mounted on a wall. If she had to pick a one-word description, it would be 'sophisticated.' 

She notices a letterman jacket draped on the arm of the leather couch. She makes her way over and sits down comfortably.

Lisa picks up the jacket and sighs, excusing herself. She disappears somewhere; to get rid of the jackets, Jennie assumes.

"Sorry about the mess," her voice carries over to the living room. 

"It's okay." Jennie says, smiling inwardly. The room was perfectly tidy; except for the jacket. 

Lisa emerges from a hall with a towel and offers it to her.

"You live with someone?" Jennie asks, taking the fluffy towel despite not being wet. She's the one who could use it, she thinks, gazing at the water staining the girl's clothes and the droplets still on her shoulders.

"Yeah, with my friend Bam," Lisa is gesturing to a small table beside the couch.

Under the lamp sits two picture frames, one with a photo of a boy and a girl, both dark-haired and around the same age. The other holds a recent photo, and she can tell more clearly that Lisa is in it; it seems a lot has changed, but she still has the same smile.

"You seem pretty close," Jennie remarks. "Have you always been taller?"

Lisa grins proudly. 

Jennie scoots closer for a clearer look and Lisa walks over to join her, sitting on the floor beside the couch and resting her head on the leather armrest. From her place, she could smell Lisa's slightly sweet floral perfume. Jennie gets the sudden urge to lean over and bury her nose into her soft blonde hair. 

"Cute," is all she says as she sits upright. 

"Pssh. Right." Lisa adjusts herself into a kneeling position. "So, can I get you anything?"

"I'm okay."

"I don't want to be a bad host." Lisa says, going on to list things she could offer. 

"No, really, I'm fine," the brunette insists truthfully. 

"You don't want anything at all?" Lisa asks once again from her place on the floor, looking up at Jennie with puppy eyes. 

You. 

"Um..." Jennie clears . "Some water, maybe?" 

"Sure," Lisa pushes herself upright. "Give me a sec."

"I'll come with you."

"It's okay, just make yourself comfortable," Lisa says before heading off to the kitchen. 

Jennie takes the opportunity to look around, checking out more pictures on display and meandering around the space. She leaves the living room, walking down another hallway with a dead end. On either side of her were two rooms. She stops in front of one, resting her hand on the door handle.

Hearing Lisa's light footsteps, she turns to look at her. 

"There you are," Lisa says as she approached, carefully holding a glass of water with a coaster underneath. "Here."

"Finally." Jennie takes the glass with one hand, grinning. "Did you get lost or something?"

"Yeah, sorry, this palace is just too big," Lisa sighs melodramatically.

Jennie laughs. "Tell me then, milady, where does this door lead?" 

Lisa places her hand on top of Jennie's and pushes the handle down gently, opening the door to her room. 

The rest of the house seems to have the monochrome black and white layout, except for Lisa's bedroom. The room was neat and tidy, themed pastel yellow. 

"Sorry about the mess." The girl walks past her and makes a beeline for a door in the corner. 

 Jennie scoffs. "You should see my room."

"I'd love to," the blonde replies, half-distracted. 

"Is that a bathroom?" Jennie asks abruptly, before she could let herself overanalyse Lisa's words. 

"Nope," Lisa says, emerging from the door with a set of clothes. "I can show you to the bathroom, if you need to go?"

"Nah, I'm good." 

Jennie sets the towel and the glass on top of the first flat surface she sees. As she looks around, she spots Lisa abandoning her clothes on her bed, walking over to lift the glass and place the coaster under it. Jennie laughs inwardly. 

She walks towards a shelf of trophies, picture frames and kitschy Disney figurines. 

"My friends love this nerdy stuff," Jennie says. "I think you'll get along with them."

"Nerdy?" Lisa laughs. 

Jennie strolls over to a vanity and checks her reflection in the mirror. She notices a photo wedged in it and takes a close look. Another photo of Lisa and her friend with a group of people, wearing coordinated outfits onstage.  

"So, you're a dancer or something?"

She turns around just in time to see Lisa lifting her shirt up over her head. Blushing, Jennie whirls back around and busies herself with the makeup scattered on top of the vanity.

"I like to dance," came Lisa's simple answer. 

Jennie sneaks a glance at her through the mirror. The blonde is in the process of pulling on an oversized shirt, tugging it down past her hips. It hangs loose around her slim thighs. 

"Oh," Jennie says, cringing at the fact that she's taken too long to respond. "That's great."

"It's raining pretty hard," Lisa remarks conversationally, picking up after herself. 

As Lisa paces around her room getting things in order, Jennie listens to the dull roar going on outside. 

"Good thing I don't have plans today," she muses aloud, glancing at Lisa's bedside clock. 4:13AM, it read. 

"Mm. Oh, hey, do you want some ice cream?" Lisa offers excitedly. 

"In this weather?"

"Yeah, why not?" Lisa shrugs. "I'll let you go when the rain stops."

They sit on Lisa's bed sharing snacks and ice cream, surrounded by cozy sheets and pillows. They've settled into a casual flowing conversation, more than Jennie asking Lisa questions about herself and vice versa. They talk about Thailand and New Zealand, Jennie's dogs, their studies and their mutual friends. 

"Anyway, you know too much about me now," Lisa says playfully, taking her teaspoon out of and ice cream off of it. "Tell me more about yourself."  

Jennie hums as she pretends to mull over an answer, eyes glued to the blonde's mouth. 

"Hmm, I think I've told you just about everything," she says. "I can't believe we go to the same university, though, let alone that you know Rosie and Jisoo."

"Right?" Lisa agreed. "How come I've never seen you around?"

Jennie knows she skips too much and cares too little, but she's not about to admit it. She shrugs in response instead.

"Well, we should see each other more." Lisa flashes Jennie another stunning smile. 

Jennie unknowingly returns the gesture, and they fall into a comfortable silence. 

"Sounds like it stopped raining," Lisa says. 

"Oh. Yeah."

"Come on," Lisa pushes herself up off the bed. "I'll show you out. Can't risk you getting lost in the palace."

Jennie laughs, starting to tidy up the small mess they've made. 

"Oh, don't worry about that," Lisa says as she takes Jennie's hands and helps her to her feet. 

They walk to the door in companionable silence. Lisa helps Jennie into her jacket while the brunette slips into her shoes. Jennie makes a move to step out, but stops in her tracks – to her surprise, Lisa has dropped down to her knees in front of her.  

"Shoelaces," the girl explains as she ties them up.

"Thanks," Jennie says as Lisa stands up, flustered. 

"No problem." 

After tonight, Jennie feels like the pretty waitress isn't such a big enigma to her anymore. 

"So, I'll see you on Monday?" Lisa asks hopefully. 

"Yeah." Jennie grins. "See you on Monday, Lisa."