chapter 1

Your stone is the diamond

Ok, so here I am, almost lost in Korea. Not almost, but certainly lost. I was looking for a café and I don’t think I’m near it. I was going to meet with my manager. It’s been 6 months since we are here. We both quit our jobs in our country. Not because they were bad, but we didn’t feel accomplished and decided to once do something crazy. I decided to officially become a writer and she is my manager. We know each other for ages and make a good team. Most of the time. We didn’t have a lot of connections, but slowly, we succeeded. I’m working on my book, but also write articles about k-pop idols. I have a rubric in a magazine where basically I write about my first impressions on idols. We started with small groups, but my articles became popular and we are going to the right path. Of course it was hard to break through in this industry. Especially for us, being strangers and not Korean. Even though my opinions are a little sarcastic, I try to say what’s on my mind and I don’t want to ruin anyone’s mood or image. People liked that and we grew bigger.

My great help was my manager. She gets all the meetings; she must have some specials powers or something. Step by step, the idols we are meeting nowadays are more popular. She established some good relations, I suppose. She’s not someone you say no to. I’m only in charge with talking to idols and writing because that’s what I’m good at and probably because she doesn’t let me do something else. I’m a little clumsy, you know.

Like now, I was supposed to be at the café 30 minutes ago. I can sense I am close. My phone began to ring and I knew it was Kim Ah Lee. We both adopted Korean names to fit in rapidly. Don’t know if Kim Cass fits me perfectly, but I got used to it.

- Yah, Cass ajusshi, you’re lost, aren’t you? Ah Lee asked.

- Not really, I’ll be there soon.

- Liar. What do you see? What’s on your right or left?

- Some shop, I think it’s for taking pictures or something.

- Wow, you’re closer than I thought. Take the right on the corner and you’ll see the café soon. Hurry up.

- Ok. See ya.

I wish we just meet at our apartment. That’s the way she uses to get me out of the house. I’m not lazy, though. I just want to write in peace. Maybe she got another meeting. I arrived at the café and saw her.

- So, what’s up? I asked her.

- Hey, you are late, again, you should at least buy me coffee. I have great news for you.

I got us two coffees, but became kind of anxious because Ah Lee was pounding her leg and looked stressed at the phone every 3 seconds.

- What got you in this state, darling?

- I would usually tease you, but this is too good news to waste time.

- You’re making me curious, tell me.

She sipped her coffee, and then looked at me mischievously.

- I got us another meeting. But this one is different. It’s bigger.-

- Who is it?

She looked at the coffee and said:

- It’s B.A.P.

At first I thought I didn’t hear right.

- Who?

- I know you’re old, but are you deaf. It’s your B.A.P, she said smiling.

I let out a little scream and she started giggling. B.A.P are my all-time favorites. I don’t believe I’m going to meet them.

- Omg, when are we going to meet them, I have to prepare.

- I haven’t seen you so hyped up for a while, like never, she said starting to laugh.

- It’s the thing I always dreamt for. This is why I came to Korea, right? I’m happy my dream is becoming reality.

- Of course, she said, looking at the phone. Probably she already started planning and taking cares of the things.

- Hey, Ah Lee, cheer up, I’m sure your dream will become reality too. You will meet Vixx one day.

-  Who says I’m not happy, you know I like B.A.P too. But there are a lot of things to take care and …

- Just try to enjoy it, okay? I said to her. Maybe they will forget us, but for us is a special moment and we should enjoy it.

- Definitely, you only live once.

- Since when are you quoting instagram? I laughed.

- I’m not, I’m quoting Ravi’s chest.

Couldn’t help but burst laughing. This is going to be a beautiful experience, can’t wait.

After a few days Ah Lee was supposed to meet with B.A.P and their manager to talk about how the interview was going to be. I expected her nervously at home. Normally, I would do some research on the idols, but since they were my favorite group, I knew about them a lot. I’m just curious if my opinions on them were true or not.

I heard Ah Lee getting into the house so I rushed to her.

- How was it, how are they?

- Let me breathe a little, will ya? Let me change, bring a bottle of wine and come to the balcony.

- Yes, sir, I said smiling. If there was wine involved, there is going to be good news.

We met at the balcony and put wine in the glasses, than sat on the chairs.

- They are so tall and handsome. Totally, she said smiling. The meeting will be next week and you have 30 minutes to talk to them. I have a bad news, though. Your bias couldn’t make it. He has a different schedule so he won’t be able to come.

My sky went dark blue at that moment. I hoped so badly I would meet them and now I find out he isn’t going to be there.

- I’m sorry, I know how much you wanted to meet him, she said frowning.

- It’s okay, I guess. It was too good to be true, I said taking a big sip of wine.

- Look on the other side, my bias kind of , she said.

- What? I asked laughing at her face. Yongguk was one of her ub. What happened?

- He is gorgeous, but I don’t think we fit, she said bitterly.

- No, kidding, I bursted laughing. What made you think that?

- He’s too serious. I mean, he seemed to busy to pay attention. And moody. Like you. I think it’s a guy thing. You will get along just fine.

- Sure we will do, haha. We didn’t really get what we wanted, did we?

- Guess not.

It was getting as we started the second bottle of wine and played would you rather.

- Ajusshi, would you rather kiss Choa or Jessi? Ah Lee asked.

- CL, I said. She is so beautiful.

- You are drunk; she wasn’t an option, fool.

- Look who is talking, keep your head up. Would you rather kiss N or Ken. But he wouldn’t remember after, I asked teasing her.

- Oh, he will definitely remember, trust me, she said blushing. I started laughing so hard, I couldn’t breathe anymore. In the end we both were a simple fanboy and a fangirl.

- Ken is my bias, did you forgot? I asked pretending to be angry. I noticed you like him a lot lately.

- Is it my fault he is so heavenly beautiful? His voice is my sunshine. I’ve been so busy with organizing, he’s the perfect escape.

- How dare you steal him? Yongguk doesn’t take care of you, I asked playfully.

-  He doesn’t know I exist, why do you remember me that? I’m worried, she said changing the subject.

The week passed so slowly. I couldn’t write anything because all I could think was meeting B.A.P. Finally, the day has come. I was in our studio (kind of a living room attached to my office, decorated casually so idols feel comfortable). Many thoughts went through my head. I was looking all over the room to see if everything was arranged properly, but of course Ah Lee took care of it. I looked in the mirror, usually I don’t dress spectacularly, the interviews are just recorded audio so I can write better afterwards. But no video so we can keep it comfortable.

The door opened and B.A.P’s manager came in. I was greeting them as I saw the members came in. Daehyun, Youngjae, Jonggup, Zelo and Yongguk followed by Ah Lee. Ah Lee gave a me a weird look and my eyes moved behind her. I couldn’t believe my eyes, that majestic creature came here. Kim Himchan. Ah Lee passed by me, gave me a wink and whispered “Surprise”.

I’ve got to keep this under control, don’t lose it, Kim Cass. I said my greetings and Himchan offered his hand to shake hands. His grip was strong but elegant at the same. My mistake was looking into his eyes. They were so dark and deep. I thought I was drowning in that black abyss when he said “Nice to meet you” and let go of my hand. It took me five seconds more than usually to turn around and occupy my place.

They all took places on the couch and chairs beside me while Ah Lee and their manager talked in the corner.

- Hello again, we are about to start our interview so I’ll start the recording. They nodded and I started the recording.

- So, we are here, with B.A.P. please introduce yourself so we can attest your presence, I said trying to make a joke. The members introduced themselves and I was just beginning to put on the table the first subject when Himchan said:

- I think it would be polite if you introduced yourself too, we’re not to a ghost are we? Even though he giggled, his voice and stare send shivers to my spine.

- Sure, I’m Kim Cass and I will be your host tonight. Hope we will have a wonderful time, I said blushing.

After that I gained control again and began the actual interview. We started talking about their new album, the meanings behind it and future plans. This was the standard part of the interview. Next there was a part of questions regarding their every-day life, passions and thoughts.

- Glad to hear such a deep meaning of your album, next we will have fun answering some questions about yourselves. With whom should we start?

I prepared the questions all week, thinking what should be appropriate and funny.

- Jongup, you are well known for your dancing skills. Which member do you think has the best skills after you? I was growing a little bit nervous because he looked at me as if he didn’t understand what I wanted from him. Guess he really is a 4D.

- It would have to be Zelo, we do the choreography for most of our performances and he is talented.

-Yes, I noticed that. Than what about the third place? I waited a little for his answer, hoped he would answer faster so I don’t make a fool of myself.

- It would have to be Daehyun, he did really well with his single Shadow. I helped him.

- It wasn’t for free, said suddenly Daehyun, I had to buy him meals for a week.

- That’s the least you could do, said Jonggup expressionless, making everybody laugh.

- Daehyun, which one is harder, dancing or singing, I asked.

- As Jonggup said, I think I showed I can do both very well, said Daehyun laughing.

- His best quality is modesty, said Youngjae.

- It’s the truth, I did well, Daehyun continued. I can’t say one is easier than the other, I work hard to maintain a good level and keep my fans happy.

- That’s very nice of you, Daehyun, I said. Gosh, why does he have to be so cute? Youngjae, you mentioned Daehyun’s best quality, what about yours then?

- I have many qualities, it’s hard to choose one, giggled Youngjae.

- Liar, shouted Daehyun.

- You’re right, it’s easy, replied Youngjae. My best quality is my charm. I can make everybody smile and be a real sunshine for my fans, he said doing a little aegyo.

- Stop it, hyung, it’s not a video recording, said Zelo, making everybody laugh like crazy.

- It doesn’t matter, they can feel my good energy, Youngjae replied.

- Actually, I’m sorry to disappoint you, but your fans won’t even hear you, they will just read the words I write, I said almost having tears from laughing.-Oh, really, Youngjae asked, everybody just cracking from laughter.

After the atmosphere cooled down a bit, I turned to another member.

- Yongguk, I can say you have blessed your fans with your mixtapes, I said looking at Ah Lee making her feel like as I felt when Himchan walked in. Should we expect one in the near future?

- Of course you can. I always want to deliver good quality music to our fans, since we spoke about qualities before. So you can look forward to it.

As he spoke, I couldn’t but be distracted by the man standing next to Yongguk. I felt the stare and I gathered the courage to look towards him. I wasn’t wrong, he was looking intensely at me. We maintain the stare for a bit than I returned to Yongguk.

- We will look forward to it, indeed. Let’s turn to your giant maknae, Zelo. How do you feel with this nickname?

- I think it’s well deserved, said Zelo shyly.

- How does it feel to be youngest in the group? From my own experience I can say it is wiser to let the maknaes alone, I said thinking about Ah Lee and how many problems her youth created me.

- You are right, said Yongguk.

- We sometimes have different opinions which can be based on the , but my hyungs always helped me and we ended resolving all the issues, explained Zelo.

- I have a curiosity, I said. I have a maknae friend.

- Is she a celebrity, asked Youngjae.

- In her own way, I giggled. Anyways, I noticed she emphasizes more with the maknae of the groups. Does it happen to you also, Zelo?

- I believe I understand her a little. Maybe it’s because the youngest of the group feel sometimes misunderstood and can understand the feelings of their kind, Zelo continued.

- Doesn’t it sound like maknae think they are special humans, Youngjae interfered.

- We are young too, said Daehyun causing everybody to smile.

- Let’s go to the last member, Himchan…

I was distracted by their manager who stood up and came towards us.

- I believe the interview is over. We only had 30 minutes, time has passed and they have another schedule, said the manager.

I felt disappointment, but there was nothing I could do. Honestly, as I thought he couldn’t come, I haven’t prepared something for him.

- I understand, thank you for coming and I hope you enjoyed it. The boys nodded and begin preparing to leave.

- If everything goes well, we might see each other in the future, told their manager winking at Ah Lee. As he left, I asked her what was that.

- I set him a date with an acquaintance of mine, don’t ask.

She went to speak to the manager outside and the boys left the room one by one after they bowed and said their goodbyes. I noticed Himchan was the last, however he didn’t said anything. He just looked at me for what felt an eternity and just left the room. I don’t know what happened to me, I must have held my breath. I was still standing in the middle of the room, thinking about him when Ah Lee returned.

- Why are you so pale, wake up, ajusshi.

- Are you crazy, why didn’t you tell me he was coming?

- I didn’t know, I was waiting them at their dorm and they all came. We drive back here with their vane and I didn’t get the chance to warn you. It was a good surprise, right?

- Of course it is, I can’t believe it, I said starting to jump around the room like a little child. Kim Himchan was here, I stated looking at the room and where he sat.

- I know, fool, Ah Lee giggled. I’m so happy for you. I’ll even spice up things a little, telling you that he smells heavenly. We sat nearly in the van and I can affirm he’s hot, totally, she said spinning like a superhero in the room.

- Don’t you think I noticed that?

After we laugh for a while longer, we both went to do our jobs. I had to go through the interview again and begin writing. It was past midnight when I finished. I turned to my office window and saw a beautiful moon watching the city. It was hard to accept the situations. I didn’t believe in the past I would give up everything and come here. But here I am. Maybe it’s time a new me. As the moon watches the city, I want to watch over the ones I love. People may find the moon cold and gray but that doesn’t stop it from shinning in its unique way. Staring at it and realizing how much warm is it spreading through its white light, I started thinking about him. I was so close to him, yet chances were against us. Maybe if I fought just a little. Maybe this is what it’s meant to be. Not every day a man can see the one he likes.