Keep You On My Side

Afterglow

___________________

 

“I just hate the thought of her being here...sleeping in a room in the same hallway as you,” Nayeon hissed. “What if Mina’s hypnosis didn’t work at all? What if Akari is just playing dumb, looking for her perfect opportunity to strike? What if she remembers randomly who she actually is and kills everyone here? What if—”

 

“—Nayeon,” Momo interrupted, placing a soft hand on the older girl’s shoulder. “Relax.”

 

“How can I relax knowing the girl who nearly killed both you and Sana is being treated like she’s some innocent girl who’s never done anything wrong in her life? How can I be expected to just welcome her with open arms?” Nayeon’s voice was rising. Momo was in Nayeon’s room, and the two of them were sitting down on her bed with their legs dangling over its edge.

 

“She didn’t kill us, okay?” Momo responded. “I’m here. Sana’s here. We’re fine.” Her voice was soft yet firm, and Momo snuggled up next to Nayeon in an attempt to calm the redhead down.

 

“I swear to God, if she so much as lays a finger on you…” Nayeon’s voice was a growl.

 

“Hey,” Momo wrapped her arms around Nayeon and pulled her closer. “Shush. Don’t you know what they say? ‘Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.’”

 

“Whoever ‘they’ are have surely never had to deal with someone like her. Momo, she can kill someone in seconds. She almost killed Chaeyoung in another timeline...all she had to do was lift a finger and she had Chaeyoung on the ground screaming in pain.”

 

“We’ll make sure she never hurts anyone again,” Momo assured. “Mina’s keeping a close eye on her...we all are.”

 

That still wasn’t enough for Nayeon. She huffed and pouted. Momo laughed at the sight. She always found "angry Nayeon" to be incredibly cute. She reached out and pinched the girl’s cheek and the older girl sighed but didn’t push her hand away.

 

“I’m sorry, I’m just worried. Last week when you were hurt...I’ve never been more scared in my life.” Nayeon let herself lean back into Momo, feeling comfort in her closeness.

 

“I was scared too...wanna know why? Because I thought I’d never get the chance to ask you out,” Momo giggled shyly, and Nayeon immediately blushed.

 

“Ask me out? Like...officially?” Nayeon stuttered. Momo nodded. “Like you and me...together...as a couple?”

 

“Only if you want that,” Momo replied. She was watching Nayeon’s face closely as her heart pounded loudly in her chest.

 

“Yes...of course!” Nayeon exclaimed, nearly squealing. She twisted around and embraced Momo and the two girls laughed.

 

“You seem surprised,” Momo said. “Is it really that surprising that I’d ask you out?”

 

“I thought I’d have to be the one to ask,” Nayeon admitted. “I was going to...soon. I was just nervous.”

 

“Well I’m glad I beat you to it,” Momo teased. Nayeon slowly moved her lips closer to Momo’s before she kissed her quickly on the cheek. A fake-out.

 

“Hey!” Momo whined causing Nayeon to laugh evilly. Momo pouted and Nayeon continued to smile at her. The strawberry haired girl scooted backward on her bed so that she was leaning against the headboard. Momo watched curiously as Nayeon beckoned her to come closer. She did as she was told, crawling forward until their faces were only inches apart. The air was almost electric between them.

 

Finally Nayeon put her arms around Momo’s back, pulling her closer and extinguishing the distance between them. The kiss was just what both girls expected it to be, soft and sweet. They remained like that for a moment before they heard loud, slow clapping sounding from only a few feet away. Momo and Nayeon turned toward the source of the noise to see Jeongyeon standing in a now open doorway. She wore a cheeky grin on her face and continued to clap.

 

“Finally!” she cheered. “I can’t believe one of you finally stepped up. Was it you Nayeon? I bet Tzuyu 6,000₩—”

 

Jeongyeon was interrupted by a pillow flying across the room like a bolt of lightning, striking the blonde haired girl in the face. “Yoo Jeongyeon!” Nayeon roared. “Get out!”

 

Jeongyeon simply laughed. “Okay, okay, I see where I’m not wanted. Have fun you two.” She tossed the pillow back onto Nayeon’s bed and began closing the door. “But wait, seriously Momo, did Nayeon ask you out or—”

 

“Get out!” Nayeon yelled again. Jeongyeon simply laughed but she did as she was told, closing the door shut with a satisfying click.

 

Momo and Nayeon turned back to each other with newly reddened faces. They both smiled. “Okay, let’s try that again,” Nayeon murmured. This time it was Momo who closed the distance between them.


Having Akari around, trailing Mina like a shadow, was a little strange for Mina to get used to at first. A sense of paranoia filled the atmosphere and Mina couldn’t seem to relax. Perhaps that was a good thing. After all, it was possible Akari could suddenly remember everything without hesitation and attack. Someone had to be alert at all times—and JYP had entrusted this responsibility to Mina.

This is why Mina made the choice to not have her chip in until she was sure that Akari could be trusted. Because of this, Mina had to really focus on controlling any emotions or feelings she could have. She had learned to use her chip as a crutch while here at JYP’s—she was able to think about things normally and without hesitation—but now she’d be forced to put up a wall.

Akari was timid at first after her memories were wiped, but she asked a lot of questions. She’d seemed to gravitate toward Mina, perhaps because she was there when she’d woken up. Mina had to come up with many details to answer her endless questions on the spot. Akari mostly asked Mina what she knew of her past—her parents, if she had any siblings, where she was born. It was easy for Mina to lie and say that she knew very little, which indeed was the truth. Akari had told Mina nothing about herself when they were stuck together in the facility. All Mina told Akari now is that she knew Akari was an orphan, and she’d come to JYP’s school around the age of 15.

Every one of Mina’s friends was clued in on Akari’s backstory, so they all had their facts straight in case the older girl approached them with curiosity. Everyone else in the school had been informed about Akari’s situation, knowing to give her space and to lie when necessary. They had to really sell her past if this plan were to be successful. They had to be convincing. However, Akari had rarely talked to anyone except Mina for the first week she was a student at JYP’s school anyway. Chaeyoung had joined Mina and Akari almost every day for lunch, as had Jihyo and Jeongyeon ocassionally, but everyone else had kept their distance so that there were only polite smiles and “hellos” exchanged. It was clear there was a tension building between the friends now that Akari was brought into the fold.

Mina had introduced everyone to Akari over the course of that first week, even a tight-lipped, clearly agitated Nayeon, who had simply grumbled and walked away.

“She doesn’t like me much...does she?” Akari had asked Mina, watching Nayeon walk away with a sad expression on her face.

Mina’s eyes widened in horror. “What? No! Please excuse her behavior, she must be tired. Sometimes she can be a bit moody and lately—”

“Mina, you don’t have to sugarcoat everything. You can be honest with me. After all, not everyone we encounter in life will like us, right?” Akari replied, smiling fondly at Mina.

“Yes, I suppose you’re right. The truth of the matter is...things between you and Nayeon are complicated. Things happened in the past but...this is a new beginning. I’m sure she will get over it in time.”

Akari nodded slightly. “I hope so. I can’t help but feel guilty for whatever it is I did to her. I wish I could remember, that way I could make it right. It’s so frustrating, not being able to remember anything. I feel like I’ve lost myself.”

“I’ll do my best to help you find yourself again,” Mina replied, reaching over and gently patting Akari’s arm. “Now, let’s get something to eat.”

Akari had moved into a room across the hall from Mina and next to the room Jihyo, Jeongyeon and Nayeon shared. Despite being so close to everyone, most of the girls had managed to avoid Akari, and by default Mina as well.

Mina and Akari normally ate lunch together in the library, avoiding the courtyard and garden where the other girls normally ate. Mina figured this was for the best, although she yearned to be back with her friends. Having to watch over Akari all the time was isolating her from them, but it was a responsibility she knew had to be hers. No one else would treat the older girl with as much patience and kindness. To be honest, sometimes Mina didn’t quite understand why she did so herself.

A part of Mina knew though that Akari had been subjected to torture and cruelty at a young age, and that no one should be put through something like that. After all, if Mina had been in the facility for a few more years, who knew what that would've done to her psyche. Perhaps she would’ve broken and become just as much as a monster as Akari had become. Like it or not, Mina and Akari shared a bond that no one else shared.

Today at lunch, Akari began asking Mina about her. “I’ve been asking so many questions about myself...but I know nothing about you,” Akari began. “So tell me, what was your childhood like?”

“It was nice,” Mina replied, smiling fondly at the memory of her family. “My parents were well off so I was lucky. There was so much love and laughter. My brother and I were so spoiled. We lived in a house outside of Osaka...oh, that’s right, I forgot to mention that I’m from Japan. I think you were born there too.”

“I have a vague recollection of the language,” Akari said in Japanese, to which Mina smiled. “But Korean feels more comfortable for me to speak. I think it’s because, from what you’ve said, I’ve lived here for a long while.”

“It’s becoming more comfortable for me to speak as well,” Mina agreed.

“So what brought you here to Korea?” Akari asked, leaning so that her head was propped up by her hands, elbows resting on the wooden table.

Mina adjusted in her seat, suddenly not liking the attention on her. “It wasn’t safe for me in Japan anymore. There are people who want to hurt people like us because we’re different. My parents thought it’d be best for me to come here, to this school specifically, where I’d be safe.” It was a bit of a stretch, but it was close enough to the truth. Akari didn’t need to know about the facility.

“Hello!” a voice chirped, and Mina looked up with a bit of surprise and also relief to see Sana standing next to their table with a plate and cup in hand. “Mind if I sit?” Sana looked from Akari to Mina.

Akari happily shook her head. “Not at all, please sit!”

Sana sat down at the empty seat next to Mina. This was the first time that Sana had really come anywhere near Akari, other than their initial introduction.

“What brings you to the library?” Mina asked.

“I figured I’d join you two for a change. Akari, I wanted to see how you’ve been doing,” Sana replied.

“I’ve been doing as well as I can be, with losing my memories and all,” Akari answered with a playful tone. It was light but there was still an air of seriousness to it; an air of pain. “But really I’m loving it here. This place is gorgeous, and it feels so tucked away; like we’re in our own little world.”

“We don’t go out much, no,” Sana said. “It’s for our own safety, but at least we have each other!”

“Mina mentioned that there’s people who want to hurt us…” Akari inquired. She looked at Sana expectantly for an explanation.

Sana made eye contact with Mina, slight hesitation, before the younger girl nodded slightly, giving Sana permission to answer, and Sana cleared . “Yes, they’re called the HCA. They believe that mutants like us pose a threat to their species. That’s why we live here at the school, JYP offers us protection. That’s also partially why we train, not only to control our powers but to prepare for any sort of threat these people may pose.”

“They hurt mutants?” Akari asked.

“Yes, they kill them...us,” Mina answered. “They want to get rid of us all.”

“Is that who you were running from then?” Akari turned to Mina, looking at her sharply. “Did they find you?”

 

“No, it was another group. I’m afraid the HCA isn’t the only threat to us. Some people want to take advantage of our powers and use us for their personal gain.” The answer was vague, but it was all Mina could afford to give. Akari seemed to be satisfied with that though, because she stopped asking questions.

For the rest of the lunch period, Akari inquired about more things about herself, and asked Sana questions about her own life. Sana was happy to oblige, and at one point the three of them were even laughing. Mina felt more at ease, knowing that even though Sana had every right to hate Akari she was still giving her a second chance.

After Mina and Sana walked Akari to the gym, where JYP was spending one on one time with her teaching her to control her powers, Mina grabbed Sana’s wrist gently and stopped her before she could head off to her separate class.

“Thank you,” Mina said. “I know it must be hard but—”

“—there’s no reason to thank me,” Sana assured. “I want to make sure she feels happy here. We need to make sure she has no reason to feel left out or else she’ll really be suspicious. Besides, I believe in second chances.” Sana smiled dazzlingly at Mina and the younger girl dropped the Sana’s wrist. “You should bring her out to the courtyard for lunch next time. I’ll sure she’ll love it outside. I’ll get Dahyun to join us, and I’m sure Chaeyoung and Jihyo will too.”

The next day, Mina did as Sana said and brought Akari to the courtyard. They sat at an empty table, being the first ones there. However, Akari suggested that they eat under the shade of the large oak tree in the grass, and Mina happily obliged. Nayeon and Momo were the second ones to arrive. Nayeon took one look at Akari and pulled Momo roughly toward another table. Momo gave Mina an apologetic glance before she let herself be dragged by Nayeon. Jeongyeon and Jihyo arrived shortly after, glancing between the Nayeon and Momo and Mina and Akari. Jihyo made the choice to join Akari and Mina, and Jeongyeon shrugged and joined them as well. Akari looked delighted to be outside for lunch, and happily chatted as Jihyo and Jeongyeon sat down.

“The food here is so good,” Akari praised after taking a bite of her pasta.

“Yeah, we’re lucky we have great chefs,” Jihyo agreed. “They try to mix things up every week.”

Tzuyu and Chaeyoung arrived at the courtyard. “Great,” Tzuyu muttered under her breath, clearly uncomfortable with the divide that was forming. “I’m going to go with Momo and Nayeon.” Despite Tzuyu having not seen Akari’s attack against Sana or Momo, the younger girl was very much against the idea of Akari being here. It wasn’t that she felt unsafe herself, but she was scared for the safety of her friends.

Chaeyoung took note of how happy Mina looked, sitting next to Akari. Mina was watching Akari speak, animatedly talking about something. Mina's eyes were shining, watching Akari. Chaeyoung’s stomach dropped. “I’ll join you,” she replied and walked fast to catch up with her tall friend. Nayeon raised a brow as Chaeyoung set her tray down next to Momo’s but the redhead said nothing.

Mina saw Chaeyoung and Tzuyu enter the courtyard. After Akari was done talking Mina turned her head slightly, seeing Chaeyoung walking toward Nayeon and Momo. Mina watched as the short girl set her tray down at the table across the courtyard. Mina felt a pit in her stomach as she watched Chaeyoung sit down, but Akari said her name softly, snapping Mina’s attention back to the conversation happening in front of her.

“I can’t stand this,” Nayeon muttered, watching Akari’s group in the grass. They were smiling. Laughing. It made Nayeon sick.

Chaeyoung looked from afar with a neutral expression, but there was a bit of darkness behind her eyes. Akari was awfully close to Mina...their knees were touching as they laid out in the grass. Akari was looking at Mina with a look that was awfully familiar…

“Woah, easy there tiger,” Nayeon said, staring at Chaeyoung’s white knuckles as she gripped her plastic fork harder. “We can’t be too obvious and make her snap, remember? We’re walking on a tightrope now and if one of us loses our balance we’re all going to fall.”

“Nice metaphor,” Chaeyoung observed. She relaxed her hand and scooped another bite of mac and cheese into . “I don’t like this either, but there’s nothing we can do about it.”

Nayeon crossed her arms and pouted, knowing the younger girl was right.

“She’s so pretty, isn’t she?” Momo remarked, obviously not paying any attention to what was just said.

Nayeon looked offended, looking back and forth between Momo and Akari “Yeah, when she’s not...you know...trying to freeze you to death or stab Sana,” Nayeon scowled.

Momo pouted slightly at Nayeon’s remark but said nothing.

“I don’t like this either but it’s the only way,” Tzuyu remarked.

“Is it?” Nayeon challenged, but didn’t elaborate.

Tzuyu’s eyes lit up suspiciously and Chaeyoung seemed to snap out of whatever haze she’d been stuck in. “You can’t avoid her forever, you know,” the younger girl told Nayeon.

“I can try,” was all Nayeon responded with.

Once the lunch period was coming to an end, Jihyo received an alert on her phone, pulling it out quickly and scanning the notification. “Good news!” she trilled. “The government voted against the Mutant Registration Act!”

Jeongyeon let out a sigh of relief and Dahyun smiled excitedly. Akari blinked a few times, but couldn’t help but smile at everyone else’s happiness. Seeing how Akari looked a bit lost, Mina whispered: “The government was planning on making every mutant register with them, so they’d know our names and address...even our powers.” Akari nodded in understanding.

“Maybe people are actually starting to see us for what we are...people,” Dahyun pondered. They could only hope that sympathy for mutants would rise, and people would no longer be afraid.

“Class starts in five minutes everyone,” Jihyo announced, looking down at her phone again for the time as she noticed some other students were throwing away their trash and preparing to go back inside the school. Dahyun and Sana quickly bounced up. Jeongyeon and Jihyo followed closely behind. “This was fun,” Jihyo replied, looking down at Akari and Mina, who remained sitting. “Let’s do this again tomorrow.”

Akari nodded enthusiastically with a giddy smile on her face and Mina felt her heart soar. It made Mina unbelievably happy to see Akari like this—carefree and excited. She’d never seen her like that on any of their missions together.

“See you tomorrow!” Sana called to Akari and Mina, waving to them before taking off with Dahyun’s arm hooked around her own. Jeongyeon waved as well before jogging to catch up with the two girls. Jihyo looked over at the table her other friends were taking up and saw they too were preparing to head to class. Jihyo walked over there, leaving Mina and Akari alone. For some reason Mina didn’t feel like moving. Maybe because this was the happiest she’d felt in awhile. She didn’t want the moment to end. She wanted to lay down in the grass and close her eyes, feeling the warm sun rays soak into her skin.

Jihyo approached Nayeon, Momo, Chaeyoung and Tzuyu, explaining the news about the Mutant Registration Act she’d just found out about. “That’s what you were cheering about, huh?” Nayeon asked. “Well, maybe something will actually go right for once.”

“That’s the spirit,” Momo chirped, smiling at Nayeon as she stood up and collected her lunch tray. Nayeon, Momo and Jihyo walked toward the trash can by the door of the school. Tzuyu glanced at Chaeyoung, studying her for a moment before standing up, but said nothing. Chaeyoung looked over at Mina, watching Akari whisper something into Mina’s ear. Chaeyoung felt numb, so she quickly stood too. She hated feeling this way, but she needed to get away.

As Tzuyu guided Chaeyoung toward the door, Chaeyoung couldn’t help but look back at Mina, who caught her eye and smiled slightly before Chaeyoung turned back around and headed into the school.

Finally, Mina forced herself to stand, grabbing her own lunch tray as well as Akari’s. Akari remained on the ground through, staring up at Mina with a smug smile on her face. “You don’t have to dote on me all the time, you know,” Akari remarked.

“I don’t dote on you all the time,” Mina protested as she ran over to the trash can and neatly disposed of the trash and stacked the plastic trays on top of the trash can. She walked back over to Akari, who still remained on the ground, watching Mina with a lazy smile on her face. Mina reached a hand down to the brunette, offering to help her up. Akari took Mina's hand and groaned as Mina lifted her up, as if it took too much effort. Akari gave Mina a knowing look and Mina sighed. “What, is it a crime to be a good friend?”

“But you’re like, going way above and beyond the job description for “good friend”. You’re a shoe in for employee of the month and it's only been two weeks,” Akari joked. “But seriously, I know I’m still really clueless about everything but you don’t need to worry so much about me. I’ll manage.”

“I can’t help but worry,” Mina admitted. “Besides, I like spending time with you.”

Akari cleared , turning her head slightly to look back at the edge of the garden, decorated with cherry blossoms. “Can I ask you something?”

“Sure,” Mina replied nervously.

“Before my accident, were we…” Akari’s voice trailed off, but she looked pointedly back at Mina. “You know…dating?”

Mina’s eyes widened and she shyly looked down at ground in front of her. “No, no,” she assured. “We’re just friends. We’ve always been just friends.”

“Okay,” Akari replied, smiling at Mina’s sudden shyness. “In that case, are you and Chaeyoung together then?”

Mina let out a nervous laugh. “N-no, what makes you say that?”

“Oh c’mon,” Akari replied. “I might have memory loss but I’m not blind. You two are totally obvious.”

Mina began playing with the ends of her hair, continuing to look down at the ground. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Uh-huh,” Akari teased, and her voice was light and cheery. “Whatever you say. Well, one of you two better make a move soon. You never know when someone will come along and snatch you up.” Akari winked at Mina, smiling smugly, and Mina just about started choking on air. Akari picked up her backpack off the ground and slung it over one shoulder. “I’m gonna head to my session with JYP now. See you later, obvious.”

Akari sauntered away, leaving Mina standing by herself. That girl loved to make an exit. Luckily no other students were around Mina now, or they might have seen how painfully flustered she was as she reached down and grabbed her own backpack, hurrying toward the door to make it to class on time.

 

Akari had one-on-one training with JYP every day. Mina assumed it was quite difficult to help train a girl with so many different powers, but if anyone could pull it off, it was JYP. Mina had explained to Akari the day she’d woken up that she could steal another mutant’s power, but at the cost of their life.

“That means...I’ve killed people?” Akari asked, wide-eyed. She was sitting up on Mina’s bed at this time, gripping the sheet laid over her for support.

“Yes,” Mina had replied. “But accidentally, when you were young. You’ve learned to control it now. You haven’t done it again, but that’s why you can do so many different things.”

Akari simply nodded, looking a bit in disbelief. “So I can shapeshift, control water, teleport and steal powers?”

“That’s all I know yes, but you may be able to do more.”

Akari hugged her arms and shivered a bit at the thought of having taken a few lives. Perhaps, she thought to herself, it was better that she didn’t remember her past. She’d thought that then, but now Akari found herself desperate to learn more about herself, and she’d only find the answers in the past. For now, she’d stick with reviving any ties with these people whom Mina said were her friends—though she remembered absolutely nothing about them—so daily life here at JYP’s school could go smoothly. To do that, she’d have to start with the obvious elephant in the room.

“Nayeon,” a soft voice called, and Nayeon froze in her tracks, internally groaning. She knew that voice, but had normally only heard it from afar. “Do you have a minute?” It was after the afternoon block class, and Nayeon was headed back to her room.

Nayeon spun around and found herself face to face with Akari. “Yeah, a minute,” Nayeon replied. She crossed her arms and attempted to look intimidating, which was a bit hard since Akari had a good two inches on her.

“I’m not sure what I did to upset you in the past,” Akari began. “I don’t remember anything at all about myself...about this school...about you...but whatever I did, I’m sorry. I wish I could remember so I could make things right, but I have a feeling my memories might never come back. So whatever I did; whether I hurt you, or pettiness came between us, I truly am sorry. I hope you can come to tolerate me in time. I’m not asking for you to forgive me but, I’d just like us to coexist, at least for Mina’s sake. I hate how awkward things are. She wants everyone to get along, I can tell.”

Nayeon was shocked at Akari’s sudden apology. She was actually speechless as she digested everything the taller girl said. “Okay,” she finally managed to say. “But just for Mina’s sake. I don’t think I can ever forgive you,” Nayeon confessed.

That was enough for Akari, because she smiled hopefully, causing her dark brown eyes to shine with an intense brightness. “That’s alright.” There was an awkward pause. “I must’ve really been a b*tch, huh?”

At that, Nayeon couldn’t help but laugh. “You could say that,” was all Nayeon responded with. “Alright, I gotta go. See you around.” The strawberry haired girl spun around and continued to walk down the hallway, leaving Akari standing there with a small smile on her face.


Later in the day, Tzuyu was approached by a cheery Jihyo in the library once again. It seemed almost like clockwork that Jihyo would interrupt her studying, but Tzuyu found herself getting less and less annoyed, even looking forward to Jihyo’s short visit.

“Hey,” Jihyo replied, sitting down across from Tzuyu without asking for permission—she’d stopped needing permission long ago.

“Jihyo, can I ask you something?” Tzuyu began. She’d had a question for Jihyo all day, but hadn’t been able to ask her at lunch. Jihyo nodded, and Tzuyu continued. “Akari...she seems...normal to you right?”

Jihyo could see the hesitation and suspicion in Tzuyu’s face, so she nodded assuredly. “I always check on her whenever I’m near her and I can find nothing insincere about her. She has no thoughts indicating she remembers anything. I think Mina’s plan is actually going to work. But I’ll keep checking for awhile. I won’t stop—don’t worry.”

Tzuyu sighed with relief. “Thank you. I just can’t help but worry.”

Jihyo reached across the table and grabbed Tzuyu’s hand reassuringly. She smiled dazzlingly, and Tzuyu’s breath caught in as it so often did whenever she was with Jihyo recently. “We’ll be okay. Things are getting better, I can feel it.”

In that moment, Tzuyu believed everything Jihyo said. Sitting there, she felt things truly would be okay. Akari would never remember her past. The world would become more acceptant of mutants. They’d no longer have to hide in fear and shame. Her family could visit more often. She’d be happy, so happy.

And for a few weeks, just a few, she was truly happy.

But then reality set in, like it too often does, and a series of gunshots echoed throughout the front halls of JYP’s school.

______________

Hey guys, sorry this update took a bit longer than usual, but I hope you like it. I'm pretty busy with work and college but I'm trying my best to get content out asap.