Playing Dead

Afterglow

________________________________________

There was a dragging moment of silence, thick and foggy, which permeated the van. Mina had turned away to face the window and watch the buildings pass by. Nayeon was staring at the road, not daring to turn away. Dahyun was squeezing Jihyo’s hand, while Chaeyoung was leaning forward in her seat, staring up at the mirror and watching Mina’s reflection.

“So that girl, Akari, was the one who stabbed Sana?” Chaeyoung finally asked.

Mina swallowed loudly. “Yes.”

“And you’re sure?” Jihyo asked.

Mina sighed. “Yes.” There was a pause. “Shapeshifting was a power she didn’t use often. She didn’t really prefer stealth. But she had...has it nonetheless.”

“You left her there…” Nayeon mumbled.

“I did. I thought it was the right thing to do…”

“So she somehow escaped and found you? And she’s out for revenge?” Chaeyoung asked.

Mina bent her head down. “I’m sorry. I never meant for anything of this to happen. If I would’ve known...” her voice trailed off, but all the other girls knew what she meant. She would’ve let Akari out.

Chaeyoung reached forward and gripped Mina’s arm. “You couldn’t have possibly known this would happen…”

Mina bit her lip, fighting back tears threatening to spill. Memories flashed of only months ago when she left the facility. She could still hear Akari’s screams.

When Nayeon reached the school, she quickly parked and shut off the SUV. Dahyun practically jumped out when it was still moving, and Jihyo was right behind her. JYP was waiting inside at the foyer. Dahyun didn’t even need to ask before he pointed her to the medical wing, a small room that was almost never used. “She’s with Miss Suzy.”

Dahyun took off, and Nayeon and Jihyo were close behind. Meanwhile, Mina staggered forward, looking paler than normal. Chaeyoung was at her side, taking her arm and looking up at her.

“Go see her,” JYP instructed. “But when you’re ready to talk I expect a full report on what happened.”

They both nodded and Chaeyoung guided Mina forward towards the room Sana was in. When the two girls made it to the room, it was already overflowing with people, all circled around a hospital bed. Chaeyoung had to practically jump to see Sana, who had her eyes closed and was laying on her back. Momo was directly beside Sana, and Dahyun had fought her way through the crowd to Sana’s other side.

“Alright, we need space!” Suzy yelled, and all the onlookers and worried students hurriedly pushed out of the room. Chaeyoung pulled Mina closer to the bed, but the older girl couldn’t even bare to look at Sana like that; so incredibly sick and pale.

“She’s okay?” Chaeyoung asked, and everyone looked back at her. “Momo, are you—?”

“I’m fine,” Momo assured. “Sana will be too.”

Chaeyoung and Mina sighed with relief. Chaeyoung finally registered the fact that, at some point on their walk to the medical wing, Mina had taken her hand.

“She lost quite a bit of blood but I healed the wound,” Suzy explained. “She’ll just need some rest but she will recover.”

Jeongyeon was behind Dahyun, grasping the girl’s shoulders for support. Tzuyu stood quietly in the background, looking half depressed and half upset. “Someone needs to explain what happened,” she said, crossing her arms. She was still a bit angry she had missed so much, having been off by herself in the library studying. She wasn’t able to be there for Sana or Momo. Maybe she could’ve done something...maybe Sana wouldn’t be laying in this bed...

“Ask Mina,” Nayeon replied, as she snuggled into Momo, with one hand around the girl’s waist, clinging to her. Nayeon sounded tired but accusatory, and her eyes were red rimmed.

All eyes were on Mina now. She looked around from face to face before her eyes went back to the tile floor. Chaeyoung could feel her hand trembling.

“It was a shapeshifter...well, someone with many different powers. It was all a trap, she lured us in there with the HCA…” Jihyo quickly interjected, shooting Nayeon a disappointed look. “We can talk about this later, not here. All that matters is that everyone is okay.”

“Barely,” Dahyun sighed.

Mina took a step backward, shaking her head. “I’m so sorry,” she choked out and ripped her hand from Chaeyoung’s, spinning on her heel and running in the direction of her room.

“Mina,” Chaeyoung called, but she stood frozen and watched the other girl go. Each footstep reverberated on hardwood floor of the hallway.

 

Jihyo began walking down the hallway toward Mina’s room, with Nayeon and Chaeyoung close behind. After explaining more to Tzuyu, Momo and Jeongyeon what exactly had transpired at the warehouse where Sana was stabbed, Jihyo had decided it was time to go check up on Mina. Jihyo abruptly stopped a few feet away from Mina's door, clutching her chest as if in surprise.

“What is it?” Nayeon asked, grabbing the younger girl’s arm in worry.

“My powers...they’re back. I can feel…” Jihyo’s voice trailed off, and she looked over at Mina’s door. The sadness she felt coming from the room had suddenly hit her like a tidal wave. Normally Jihyo could avoid feeling the emotions of others, something she’d mastered over the years, but these feelings were so strong they could not be avoided.

“If your powers are back that means—” Nayeon quickly pulled out her neuralyzer and prepared to travel back in time. She could prevent all of this from happening.

Jihyo however reached up and grabbed her arm. “That’s too far back for you to go and you know it,” Jihyo said sternly. “Sana and Momo are fine, after all.”

Nayeon pouted but she knew Jihyo was right. Jumping more than a few hours back in time was incredibly straining and could be a bit unpredictable.

“Be gentle,” Jihyo whispered, nodding toward Mina’s door. “She’s not doing well.” Jihyo looked pointedly at Nayeon, who looked guilty and a bit ashamed under Jihyo’s gaze. She hadn’t meant to come off so coldly to Mina earlier.

There was a knock on Mina’s door, and the girl, currently wrapped in a comforter like a burrito, simply groaned. “Mina?” a voice asked from the other side of the door.

Mina didn’t respond, but continued to lay in bed in silence.

“We’re coming in.” The door opened to reveal Jihyo, Nayeon, and Chaeyoung. Mina immediately regretted not locking it.

Mina remained snuggled in her blankets, blinking back tears at the sight of her friends. She felt exposed, now that they knew so much about her and the mistakes she’d made.

“Mina, this wasn’t your fault.” That was Jihyo, always kind and understanding, under any circumstances. She sat at the edge of Mina’s bed and peered at the girl through her layers of blankets.

“Seriously,” Nayeon agreed. “I’m sorry for how I acted back there. I’m just...shaken, that’s all. When Momo gets hurt I can’t bear it...and Sana too.”

“I’ll be gone tomorrow,” Mina replied, voice muffled through her blankets.

“What?” Chaeyoung asked, stepping forward beside Mina’s bed.

“I can’t put anyone else in danger. I’ve caused enough harm.”

Jihyo clicked her tongue and slid toward Mina. She practically picked the girl up, burrito blanket and all, and set her on her lap. “You didn’t do this. Akari did.”

“And besides, if you leave we can’t protect you. You practically have a target on your back. Don’t be stupid,” Nayeon sighed.

“She’ll hurt someone else if I stay. She wants to hurt me but she’ll do that by hurting all of you first. She always loved to play games,” Mina mumbled, and Jihyo uncovered the blankets a bit so she could the older girl’s hair gently.

“You can’t just leave,” Chaeyoung replied.

“She’s a threat, and we’re stronger together. The only way we can stop someone that powerful is by working together anyway,” Jihyo affirmed.

“But she can shapeshift so it’d be so easy for her to get here. She can walk right in and no one would know. And, she can teleport too—”

“Is there anything this girl can’t do?” Nayeon asked, sounding annoyed.

“She’s incredibly skilled and highly dangerous...that’s why I…” Mina’s voice trailed off.

“You had to make a tough call,” Chaeyoung said. “No one should ever be put in that position. You did what you thought was right.” She gave Mina an awkward pat on the shoulder.

Mina didn’t look convinced. “I should’ve let her out…”

“She could’ve killed you. Or more people. Maybe both. Who knows? You never would have found us anyway, if you had.” Chaeyoung responded. “You wouldn’t have ever met me.” It came out way sappier than she expected, and Chaeyoung could practically feel Nayeon making a face behind her back.

Mina was silent, continuing to look painfully sad. She avoided eye contact with anyone and looked like a little kid wrapped in her sheets.

“Stay,” Chaeyoung whispered. “Please.”

“If I do we need to figure out how we’ll stop her. She could already be here in the school for all we know, watching us…” Mina replied.

“I can at least tell if it’s her if I’m close to her,” Jihyo said. “I could read her thoughts and aura right away, even if she looked like one of us. There’s a start.”

“We just have to make sure she doesn’t block our powers again…” Nayeon responded.

“It was the gas. It was sometimes used in the facility I was held in. If the HCA has their hands on it then it’s not good, and it’s even worse if she does.”

“Let’s all go talk to JYP,” Jihyo suggested. “He’ll have a better idea of what to do.” And so Mina finally agreed to get out of bed and join the girls on their trip to the office. Mina would have the most explaining to do, after all, even though JYP knew about Akari.

 

“I hate this,” Momo said, sitting in a chair pulled up next to Sana’s bed.

Dahyun, sitting on the other side of Sana’s bed, simply nodded. Both of the girls looked miserable, and had refused to leave Sana’s side today, despite Suzy’s assurance that Sana would be fine.

“I feel like this is my fault,” Momo admitted. “Sana just came into the room right before I was about to go out grocery shopping and I didn’t think anything of it...but I should’ve known something was off when she didn’t immediately flop down on her bed like normal. She was looking at me so strangely...and the next thing I know she raises her hand and suddenly I’m freezing...so cold the world around me stops...I couldn’t even speak...and she left me there...she left me like that…and I tried to call out for someone but I couldn’t...I was so cold...”

When she was frozen, laying on the carpet floor, an image ignited deep from the recesses of Momo's mind. Something she hadn’t thought about in years. Walking around the Nakamise Market, an eleven year old Sana had stumbled upon a booth with beautiful dresses on display. Despite not having an occasion to wear one, Sana was particularly fond of one dress that was white with dark blue designs. She delicately caressed its soft fabric, staring at it with wide eyes. Momo, who had been eying some food, turned to find Sana like that. She approached her friend and stared up at the dress Sana was still holding.

Sana turned to her. “Isn’t it so pretty?” Sana gushed. Momo nodded. It was quite beautiful, but way beyond their budget no doubt. The woman working at the booth stood behind them, smiling at the two young girls.

“How much is it?” Sana asked the woman.

“5,000¥,”  the woman replied. Momo could almost see Sana’s heart break. There was no way they could afford that, not with the money they earned from their street performances. They barely had enough money for food as it was.  

“Okay, thank you,” Sana replied, and let her hand drop. She took one last longing look before turning away.

Momo put a hand on her shoulder. “One day, when we’re older, I’ll buy you one-hundred dresses even prettier than that.”

Sana, whose eyes were shining with tears, smiled at Momo and grabbed her hand, swinging it in her own as they continued to walk through the market to grab something to eat.

Before Momo’s mind went blank from the cold she thought of that dress. Then there was darkness, until she heard Jeongyeon’s voice, which raised her from her slumber.

“This girl, from what Mina has said, is so dangerous,” Dahyun replied, and Momo blinked as she came back to the present. “She can look like anyone...it’s not your fault Momo. I’m so sorry you had to go through that. At the warehouse I thought it was you too until...well…” Dahyun stopped short, not wanting to conjure up an image in her mind of Sana being stabbed. “It was too late. The important thing is that you’re both okay.”

“What if she wasn’t okay though?” Momo asked suddenly, almost in a whisper. “What if she didn’t make it? She would’ve thought I was the one who did that to her. She would’ve died thinking it was me…me who killed her..” Momo buried her face into the mattress in front of her and began crying. The thought of that happening was too much to bear. Her poor Sana…

Suddenly there was a hand on Momo’s head, a soft pat. Momo lifted her head to see Sana’s eyes open, looking at her with concern, as if Momo was the one laying in the bed with an IV sticking in her arm. Dahyun was on her feet, but both of the girls around Sana were silent, unable to find the right words to express their joy at seeing she was alright.

“Are you okay?” Sana asked softly, and Momo couldn’t help but bark out a laugh as she continued to cry.

Dahyun immediately pulled Sana into a hug, squeezing tightly but not too tightly, and Sana sighed into her. “I’m so happy you’re alright,” Dahyun choked out, eventually letting Sana go to get a good look at her face.

“I remember...pain,” Sana slowly formulated her words, brow furrowing. “We were in a warehouse...looking for...Momo!” she sat up quickly and turned to face her older friend, who was kneeling down beside the bed. “We saved you!” she exclaimed.

“Yes, you saved me,” was all Momo could bring herself to say. She wouldn’t dare tell Sana all the details now, not when she was still recovering. She put on a small, fake smile, and Dahyun gave her an understanding look, a silent nod of agreement that they’d wait to tell Sana the truth.

“We make a good team Dahyun-nie,” Sana said, turning to face Dahyun, who smiled brightly as tears flowed down her face. “Please don’t cry, I’m okay,” Sana leaned forward, reaching up to brush a tear off of Dahyun’s cheek. Dahyun turned away to try to compose herself. “Is everyone else okay?” Sana asked.

Momo nodded. “Everyone is fine. You’re the only one who got a little banged up,” Momo smiled, taking Sana’s hand. “Don’t ever do that to me again, okay?”

“Well, I can’t make any promises…” Sana began, and Momo hit the girl’s arm playfully but softer than normal. “But I’ll try my best.”

“Okay,” Momo said gratefully. “That’s all I can ask for.” Momo stood up and leaned over Sana, lightly giving her a kiss on the forehead.

What Momo didn’t know is that Sana did remember being stabbed. It came back to her slowly, but it was all there nonetheless. She remembered the sharp pain, so extreme that she couldn’t even continue to stand. She’d fallen down and said the first thing that’d come to mind: “Dahyun?” And then she remembered feeling the cool cement floor beneath her, and she could hear Dahyun’s erratic talking and Nayeon’s screams, but she couldn’t make out any words. But before her vision faded out, she caught sight of Momo’s face and her narrowed, gleaming eyes. She saw the knife in Momo’s hand, but couldn’t quite process what had happened. Momo wouldn’t, couldn’t, possibly stab her best friend.

But Sana wouldn’t tell Momo she remembered, not right now anyway. She didn’t want Momo to feel even more guilty about something she didn’t do. Despite not knowing the truth surrounding that moment, Sana just knew in her heart that the girl she saw standing above her had not been Momo. Not her Momo. So instead Sana leaned back against the pillow Dahyun helped fluff behind her and let Momo gently her hair as Dahyun ranted about an old, funny memory. Sana willed herself to get rid of the image of Momo with the knife from her mind.
 

Meanwhile, Tzuyu was furious, pacing the campus without any destination in particular. She still couldn’t believe her friends hadn’t brought her along. Jeongyeon had tried to talk to her, calming her down, but at least Jeongyeon had helped Momo...she hadn’t been sitting alone in the library, completely in the dark about everything that happened. Jeongyeon hadn’t had to find out that her friends were hurt through whispered gossip between students on her way back to her room.

Tzuyu felt a strange sense of guilt. What if it had been her instead of Sana? She’d have much rather taken the knife for her friend instead. Her stomach dropped at the thought of such a violent, jarring motion of a knife strong enough to pierce right through Sana’s lungs. The thought made her hands clench into fists. She was tempted to punch a wall but refrained, knowing she’d surely punch right through it. Instead, she decided to suit up and head to the training center, where she could punch a bag specialized for her super strength.

She got changed into her gym clothes and headed over, listening to some music as she pounded the bag furiously, crying out sharply with each hit.

“Tzuyu!” she heard a small cry, barely audible above her music. Then, more loudly: “Tzuyu-ah!”

Tzuyu stopped what she was doing and pulled out an ear bud. She turned around and saw Jihyo standing her hands on her hips, watching her. “Can we talk?” Jihyo asked. She had just gotten out of her meeting with JYP.

“What is there to talk about?” Tzuyu replied with a cold voice. “I know everything that happened now.”

“Hey,” Jihyo grabbed the girl’s arm softly. “Let’s sit down.”

Tzuyu looked annoyed but let the older girl lead her out of the room into an empty classroom. They sat down at the desks in the back of the room.

“I know you’re upset, about not being told what was going on sooner. And I’m sorry for that, keeping you in the dark. When Nayeon got a call that Momo was missing, we both panicked and rounded up Mina and Chaeyoung, who happened to be nearby, and as we headed for a car we passed Sana and Dahyun, so we got them to tag along too. That’s why I didn’t call or text you about Momo, we were just focused on finding her,” Jihyo spoke quickly, finally taking a breath at the end of all that. Tzuyu was silent, looking down at her hands clasped in front of her on the desk, like how she sat during class.

“I know you feel guilty, like this is somehow all your fault...like if you were there that somehow Sana would’ve been okay, but I’m here to tell you that—” Jihyo continued.

“—stay out of my head, Jihyo,” Tzuyu snapped, causing Jihyo to flinch and look hurt.  

“Tzuyu, I’m not using my powers,” Jihyo assured. “I just know you...I know who you are and I know you’d feel responsible somehow.”

Tzuyu softened up a bit but still wore a cold expression. “I could’ve helped, you know? I’m just as capable as any of you and I wish you’d stop treating me like a child.” Her voice was raising again. She normally didn’t show any emotion but the weight of what happened to Sana and Momo was hitting her hard and all at once.

“I don’t think you’re a child,” Jihyo said softly. Her large eyes regarded Tzuyu with sadness. “I know how powerful you are. Trust me, I saw the dents you were making in that bag in the gym and it’s meant to withstand any amount of force. If you were nearby I would have brought you along, honestly.”

“Really?” Tzuyu asked. She regarded Jihyo with a bit of suspicion.

“Well, I didn’t tell Jeongyeon, did I?”

Tzuyu shook her head. Perhaps she really was overthinking all this after all.

“But to be honest I’m glad you didn’t go.” Jihyo’s voice was quiet, and Tzuyu had to strain her ears to hear the older girl’s voice, which was a first. “If you got hurt I’d never forgive myself.”

Tzuyu sat in silence, staring back at Jihyo with a look of disbelief and wonder. The older girl was looking at her intensely, so brightly, that Tzuyu was forced to be the first to turn away. “You know you can’t keep me away from going out on the field, right? That’s where I’m trained to be if need be. And with this new threat, it seems we’ll need everyone to be ready.”

“You’re right,” Jihyo admitted. “I know you can take care of yourself. But, what I’m saying is this girl is dangerous. She stabbed Sana without remorse, and her face looked sadistic, like she enjoyed it. From what Mina was saying, she’s killed many people. We can’t underestimate her.”

“No,” Tzuyu replied. “We need to be ready, all of us.” Tzuyu adjusted herself slightly in the chair and took a breath. “I’ll train harder. See you around.” Tzuyu stood up and prepared to head back to the gym. Jihyo sighed as she watched the taller girl go.

 

JYP had set a game plan for everyone to follow. The school, starting now, would be on lock down. No one would be allowed to enter without being checked through the front gate. Jihyo would be alerted when someone was entering so she could give them the okay before they passed through the gate. However, there was little to be done with Akari having the ability of teleportation. The gates could not keep her out. The students could only be ready to fight. And so, over the loudspeaker, JYP announced that every student and teacher had to keep an eye out for any suspicious activity, and be ready to deal with a girl who had many powers and was incredibly dangerous. 

Mina explained to JYP the devices used to block out her powers while she was in the facility. She wasn’t sure how the technology worked, but she knew the Japanese government had developed many different kinds of power-blocking devices which Akari seemed to have her hands on. Fighting with or without their abilities was a possibility, and Akari was skilled in both. Mina also made it clear that her friends would be targets. At this point, Mina suggested her early plan of leaving, to which JYP had shot her down immediately. “Akari is a threat not only you, but to mutants and humans around the world. She’s a threat that needs to be controlled and our best chance to do this is to work together.”

Mina, though stubborn, didn’t dare question JYP’s decision. She did sulk out of the office though, and when Chaeyoung tried to walk with her Mina had politely asked for a little time alone. She needed to clear head. Walking around the school grounds would help.

Nayeon gave Chaeyoung a reassuring pat on the back. “Don’t worry, she’ll be alright,” the older girl said, as they both watched Mina head off. Chaeyoung knew Nayeon was right, but it didn’t help her feel any better. "Keep me company for a bit, will you? My girlfr—er, my Momo..." Nayeon quickly corrected herself as Momo wasn't her girlfriend yet, "won't leave Sana's side, and I want to give her some space." As much as Nayeon wanted to dote over Momo, she knew Momo needed to be with Sana and that she shouldn't interupt that. The two had a bond that Nayeon sometimes envied, but came to accept. 

A bit dejected, Chaeyoung agreed to follow Nayeon back to her room, not wanting to be left alone either. She’d find Mina soon and make sure she was okay.

 

Mina had been walking for about an hour now. At first she sat in the garden, but felt restless, so she walked the halls instead. While passing the dorm rooms, she saw Chaeyoung, standing a bit nervously outside her door.

Mina stopped at the end of the hallway, unsure about whether she should pass Chaeyoung or not, but before she could chicken out and turn around, Chaeyoung caught sight of her.

“I was looking for you,” Chaeyoung explained, a bit sheepishly. “Well, I was about to knock on your door, but I figured you weren’t in your room anyway.”

Mina closed the distance between them, standing next to the girl awkwardly. “Here I am,” Mina tried to say lightly, but her voice sounded tired and monotone instead. She felt bad about sending the younger girl off earlier when she’d wanted to be alone. Now seeing Chaeyoung brought comfort, but her restlessness still lingered. “Want to walk with me?” Mina asked.

Chaeyoung simply nodded and the two girls headed deeper into the school. Staying in stride, with Chaeyoung’s shorter legs struggling to match Mina’s pace, Mina eventually suggested sitting outside in the courtyard. They sat on a bench by the flower garden, which had easily become Mina’s favorite spot in the school.

“How are you holding up?” Chaeyoung asked, looking at Mina worriedly.

“As best as I can be, given the circumstances,” Mina replied. “I feel better knowing JYP is confident about all this. I trust his judgement, and I feel safe with all of you.”

“You’re definitely much safer here,” Chaeyoung agreed.

“I don’t think I deserve all of you...all of this,” Mina motioned to the school. “To even be here, as a student.”

“Don’t be ridiculous, of course you do!” Chaeyoung insisted. “Why would you even say that?”

Mina clasped her hands in front of her, bracing herself. With all this guilt rushing in, Mina couldn’t help but feel the ache of something that happened years ago, something she carried with her everyday, but tried her best to forget.

“Chaeyoung, can I tell you something?” Mina asked. She looked very vulnerable, threatening to shatter like broken glass.

“Of course, anything.” Chaeyoung scooched closer to Mina, so that their knees were touching. 

“When I left Akari at the facility she said I’d have blood on my hands; that she’d be killed after I left her,” Mina began. “And I believed it. She’d showed how dangerous she could be and so they’d have to put her down. Start over. Find another mutant.” Mina paused, biting her tongue, clearly gathering all of her thoughts. Chaeyoung leaned forward and stared at her encouragingly.

“And I said something back to her...I said that I already had blood on my hands.”

“You mean the people she hurt?” Chaeyoung asked. “The people you saw her kill? You felt responsible for it? Mina, you know it wasn’t your fault…”

“Well yes, I did feel partially responsible, but that isn’t it. Chaeyoung, I did something terrible. Even more terrible than anything I’ve told you before.” Mina turned away, looking ashamed.

Chaeyoung sat patiently, leaning forward, waiting with wide eyes.

“When I first discovered my powers, I was a senior in high school. I remember being in a boring class I hated, wanting to be done. My teacher, he was the type that always held us until the bell. Never let us out early, even though it was the last class of the day. Well, I was thinking really hard about how much I wanted to go home and just lay in my bed. So I made a wish. I wished for him to end class just five minutes early, and you know what? He stopped mid-sentence during his lecture, smiled, and announced he’d let us out early. Five minutes early. The class was so excited, and I couldn’t believe my luck. That’s what I thought it was, coincidence.”

“But then other strange things started happening. My parents didn’t bother me about school work at all. My boyfriend seemed to know everything I needed, and he’d do it without me asking. Everything I wanted was happening. I was living in a fairytale. But then it began to feel wrong...too good to be true.”

“I told my best friend at the time my suspicions—how everything I wanted was happening—and so she came up with a plan to test it. Of course, that’s when things went horribly wrong. At first, she told me to wish for this guy she liked to talk to her, and of course he did...immediately while we were in the hallways at school. We were both amazed. But then, the more I wished, the more my head began to hurt. At first it was just a headache, but then it became too overwhelming. I put two and two together and realized it had to be related to my new powers.”

“Despite it all, I kept going to school. I couldn’t miss my senior year, after all, and I didn’t want my parents to worry and start asking questions. My friend, she kept asking for things. And each time I complied, even though the pain was becoming unbearable. Eventually I told her it was becoming too much, but she got angry. She told me I was being selfish. I tried to be patient, reason with her even, but I couldn’t take it. Her voice, combined with the pounding in with my head...I just snapped. I don’t remember much about that moment, but I cried out and closed my eyes. I heard a thump, and when I opened my eyes my friend...she was on the ground. A crowd of students had gathered around us, and they were all staring at me…”

“She was just lying there...in a heap, with her eyes wide open. I fell to the ground and shook her, trying to pull her up, but...she wasn’t responsive. She didn’t move. I screamed. Someone got a teacher and the school nurse, and it was all a blur from there. I just remember someone pulling me away. My parents were called and they took me home. I told them everything…”

“My parents told me that my friend had died. She died because of me,” Mina choked out. Chaeyoung reached forward and grabbed Mina’s hands, squeezing them. Mina could feel tears welling up but she took a deep breath. “That’s when my father took me away, to try to find me help...something to stop the pain and help me control whatever it was that was wrong with me. But the kids at my school, they knew I’d caused her death somehow. I was wanted for my possible involvement, for questioning, but my parents knew what would happen to me if the government found out what I was capable of. That’s why they helped me run, and that’s how I got here.”

“Oh Mina,” Chaeyoung began softly, looking at Mina with gentle eyes. The younger girl pulled Mina into a hug and Mina didn’t hesitate to reciprocate it. She was trembling slightly as they embraced. She didn’t know why she was telling Chaeyoung all this, but it was a relief for someone else to know. No one beside her family knew about this.  

Chaeyoung nuzzled her head into the crook of Mina’s neck, and Mina could feel the warmth of her breath, it almost tickled. Mina wished she could stay like that forever. “You’re a terrible person,” Chaeyoung said, suddenly and flatly. was only inches away from Mina’s ear at this point, and the volume of her voice sent chills down Mina’s spine. Mina went limp in Chaeyoung’s arms and her eyes widened.  

“You killed your best friend in cold blood,” Chaeyoung tsked, still wrapped around Mina. Her neck craned so that her lips were right next to Mina’s ear. “You’re a monster.”

Mina ripped herself away from Chaeyoung in shock. She certainly thought those things about herself, but she definitely didn’t expect to hear them from Chaeyoung.

“And I thought I was bad,” Chaeyoung murmured. “Holy .” She smirked slightly, staring at Mina with almost hungry eyes. “No wonder they locked you up with me.”

Mina jolted up off the bench and took a steps backward, heart pounding. In an instant she reached to remove the clip from her head but Chaeyoung stood too and wagged her finger back and forth.

“Not so fast,” Chaeyoung warned. “Attempt to remove that and you’re dead before you can even blink.”

Mina gritted her teeth, fighting back tears. “Just kill me, okay? Just do what you’ve come here to do but leave my friends alone.”

Chaeyoung laughed, a harsh, cruel laugh. No, it was Akari, Akari who was standing before her looking like Chaeyoung. Akari, who she’d stupidly allowed herself to open up to. Akari who now knew her darkest secret...the worst part about herself.

“That wouldn’t be any fun, would it? I said we’d talk soon, so here I am,” Akari mused, smiling at Mina.

“I don’t like...seeing her like that...please…” Mina stammered. Seeing Chaeyoung stare at her like that, with wolf-life eyes, chilled Mina to the bone. “Shift back.”

Akari walked forward, closer to Mina, and Mina stepped back. The shorter girl snickered. “What? Didn’t expect your little girlfriend here to actually speak the truth? I bet you wanted her to tell you it was all a mistake. That you didn’t mean it. That you’re still a good person, underneath it all. You wanted to hear those pretty lies to hold onto whatever’s left of your pathetic, self-righteous ego. But the truth hurts, doesn’t it Mina? It’s ugly and unkind. And now I know you’re even darker than I thought, which is just too good.” She smiled a chilling smile, and Mina had to dig her nails into her palms to stop herself from crying. She had to be strong, she wouldn’t let herself crumble in front of Akari.

“What do you want?” Mina growled.

“I came to offer you a little deal. Come with me, and no one else gets hurt. The two of us, together, we’ll recruit mutants from this school. We’ll form an army, to take down the HCA, the government too, anyone who attempts to limit the powers of mutants. We’re meant to take over, it’s evolution after all. Survival of the fittest.”

“Even if I do come with you, no one will want to join you.”

“That’s fine, I’ll just take their powers then. In that way they’ll still be supporting the cause, whether they want to or not. I’ll offer them a chance to live but if they don’t want to take it then they’re just standing in my way.”

“And if I don’t go with you?” Mina replied, shaking her head and narrowing her eyes.

“I kill all of your friends. Every. Last. One. Now, what’s your choice?”

Mina was shaking, with her hands clenched into fists. “Is there any scenario where my friends don’t die? I go with you—they’re dead because they’ll want nothing to do with you. I don’t—they’re dead too. You’re delusional.”

“Am I though?” Akari asked. “Aren’t you the one who’s out of her mind? After all, you came here expecting to make friends...to find a family!” Akari laughed. “But how could you ever expect people to welcome you with open arms when you’re a murderer? If they all knew from the start do you think they’d actually want anything to do with you?”

Mina stepped backward again but said nothing. She bowed her head.

Akari sighed. “You know, it’s funny. I spent days rotting in that cell you left me in, hating your guts. I imagined all the ways I’d kill you when I escaped. Torturing you first of course, in countless, creative ways. But now, here in front of you, where I could just end you where you stand and take your powers for my own, I can’t bring myself to do it. I can’t bring myself to kill that pretty face of yours. Pathetic, isn’t it, that after all this I’d still care about you? You make me soft.”

“If you really cared about me you wouldn’t be doing this,” Mina whispered.

“I’m doing what’s best for you,” Akari snarled. “I gave you a chance to stay with me, to be free of people trying to control you, but you threw it away. You came here, a place where you have to hide and you left me to die. And yet, after all that, you’re still all I have.”

Mina crossed her arms and looked away, thinking for a moment. She took a deep breath and stepped toward Akari, taking her hands. “Akari, think about this for a moment. You’re free of the facility. No more experiments. You’re not a puppet anymore. I know you were there for so many years...and along the way you forgot...how to be human. But now you can put that all behind you. I’ll...I’ll go with you if you promise to leave my friends alone and put this mutant v. human narrative behind you. I'll help you. We can see the world...go anywhere you want to go. You deserve to have fun and make up for those years that were taken away from you.”

Mina’s eyes were sparkling, and Akari felt, somewhere in her chest, the tug of her heart. She wasn’t used to looking up at the younger girl, but always down at her because she was naturally a few inches taller. It was strange to see her from this perspective and sounding so sincere as well. Akari could imagine the two of them together...going to Paris, a place she’d wanted to go since she was a child, or visiting the Sydney Opera House…

Akari pulled her hands out of Mina’s grasp and laughed. “This is rich, Myoui. You tell me all this now, instead of offering me this chance when you were staring back at me from the other side of that cell. The only reason you’re saying any of this is because you’re trying to protect your friends.”

“If you would’ve just got in the car with me...if you wouldn’t have gone back to the facility...if you wouldn’t have killed Miss Tanaka…” Mina tried to explain, “...then I’d be with you, somewhere in the world, doing exactly what I just said.”

Akari shook her head and closed her eyes. “You have a day to decide. I’ll be back then, ready to act on whatever you choose. You can run and tell your friends but you know you won’t win. Especially not when you see what exactly I have in store.”

“Mina?” A voice called, from the doorway of the school that opened into the courtyard and garden. Mina and Akari both turned their heads to see Chaeyoung—the real Chaeyoung—standing there with wide eyes.

Akari began to run toward the garden wall. Picking up speed, right before she collided with it, she disappeared, teleporting to wherever it was she was holed up, Mina guessed.

Chaeyoung ran out from the school to Mina’s side, practically holding the girl up as she looked like she was about to faint. “Was that…?”

“Akari,” Mina answered. “She gave me a choice, but either way I lose. We all do.”

___________________________

Hey guys! Thanks for being patient with this update. What do you think Mina is gonna do? How can they stop Akari? Thanks for all the kind comments and upvotes so far, you guys are the best.