Empty Threat

Afterglow

________________________________

“So you got caught by a government agency? Like a sci-fi movie?” Chaeyoung asked incredulously, staring at Mina. She was sitting on the older girl’s bed later that night. Chaeyoung had come over at 7PM, and Mina couldn’t help but smile as she opened the door to find Chaeyoung standing in the hallway. This time, Chaeyoung wasn’t in her pajamas yet, but she was dressed casually, having changed out of her school uniform.

“You could say that. I was intercepted before I made it here. I’d been using my powers sparingly, you know, to get by. Somehow they found me and must’ve slipped something into a drink I ordered from a cafe. I was out before I knew it, and I woke up in a cell with no one else around. It was the most terrifying experience of my life.”

“God, I can't imagine. So where were you?” Chaeyoung was leaning forward, hanging onto every word Mina had to say.

“A Japanese facility, like a headquarters of sorts, here in Korea. I woke up with a chip in my head, it prevented me from using my powers. Except unlike the one I have now, I couldn’t pull it out. I tried and clawed at it but it was drilled into my head. Then they ran some tests on me…trying to better understand my powers...”

“My god, Mina….I’m so sorry you had to go through that.”

“It’s in the past now,” Mina assured, forcing a closed-mouth smile. “I’m just really glad to be here.”

“So JYP knows. That’s why he’s been so careful with you?” Chaeyoung asked.

“Yes, he knows everything.” Chaeyoung was only the second person to hear Mina’s story, and she was barely scratching the surface.

Being in Mina’s room again, Chaeyoung was worried the awkwardness from last night would return. There was still some lingering, but it was being ignored by both parties for now. Chaeyoung’s heart was beating quickly and her palms were getting unusually sweaty, but she tried to focus on what Mina had to say. Mina had to turn away a few times when she noticed her own gaze being held on Chaeyoung for too long. Chaeyoung had caught her staring and they both instantly turned away, reacting as quick as lightning. Yup. Totally not awkward at all.

“How long were you there?” Chaeyoung asked, swinging her dangling legs back and forth.

“Over a year.”

“But they...let you out of that cell...right?”

Mina hesitated a moment but then nodded. “Yes, they did. After a few weeks, when they thought they could trust me more. They started teaching me Korean, with a private tutor and everything. Eventually, they began training me to use my powers. They tried to help me strengthen them. When I passed all their tests and played along with their games they sent me out to do things for them. That was the only time I got to go outside.”

“Things?”

Mina shook her head, clearly pained at even recalling the memories. “Mostly infiltrating the Korean government and stealing secrets. Although they had bigger plans for me, but I got out before then, luckily.”

“How did they keep you there, I mean when they sent you out on missions, couldn’t you just...hypnotize your way out of their control?”

Mina adjusted her position slightly, wringing her hands in front of her. “They anticipated that, so they outfitted me with a permanent headpiece that would shock me if I stepped out of line. They had surveillance watching my every move from a room back at the facility. Any misstep and I’d get...electrocuted. Badly.”  

Chaeyoung ran a hand through her short hair. She didn’t know what to say to that, but the thought absolutely horrified her. The fact that Mina went through something so horrible…

She took a breath and made a choice, reaching her left hand toward Mina’s and placing it gently on top. It was meant to be a supportive gesture, but Mina flinched at the touch slightly.

“Sorry,” she whispered. “Talking about that...just upsets me a bit.”

“You don’t have to say anymore. Mina, what you went through is...insane. Thank god you made it out of there and found us.” And found me, Chaeyoung thought. Wait, what?  

Mina turned to the younger girl, forcing her lips up into a smile. Her eyes were sparkling, even in the low light the dorm room provided. “It was a complication but, all that matters is that I made it here.”

Chaeyoung wanted to ask her more—she had so many questions—but she thought it best to drop the topic. It was obviously hard for Mina to talk about, and understandably so. Instead, Chaeyoung began talking about her childhood. She talked about her favorite Christmas present, an oil paint set and an easel. She spoke about her older brother and the trouble they got into. Mina, in turn, brought up her own older brother, and the two were laughing together before they knew it. The atmosphere turned lighter and became breathable, finally.

It was 10PM and time for Chaeyoung to retire to her room. They said their goodbyes and Chaeyoung gently closed the door behind her. She left feeling more intrigued and confused about Mina than ever.  

____________________________________

“Tzuyu!” A warm voice called, and Tzuyu, immersed in her English reading, lifted her head to find the source of the sound disturbing her studies. She was in the almost empty library. It was a Friday afternoon, afterall. 

Jihyo was walking over, smiling brightly, and Tzuyu inwardly sighed. It wasn’t that she didn’t like Jihyo—far from it, she had so much respect for her—but she never knew what to say to the girl. Jihyo was bright, intellectually yes, but her personality glowed. Like the sun. Sometimes Tzuyu felt overwhelmed by it. While Tzuyu liked to keep to herself, Jihyo was a socialite who could get along with everyone. Sometimes Tzuyu felt inferior when she was around her for this reason.

“It’s good to see you working hard with your studies. Unlike Chaeyoung, that girl has her head in the clouds recently.” Jihyo liked to take the School Meal Club under her wing. She considered herself to be their unofficial tutor, although they were all doing well in their classes. She still checked in with them often in regards to her school work.

“Chaeyoung’s been acting...strangely.” Tzuyu remarked, a bit surprised Jihyo had suddenly brought up Chaeyoung. Tzuyu had noticed the girl was unusually giddy, and noticed her daydreaming more often in class, doodling in the margins of her notebook instead of taking notes.

Jihyo looked over at Tzuyu and gave her an almost sympathetic look before she laughed to herself.

Tzuyu glared at Jihyo. “What? What’s so funny?”

“Crushes will do that to people. They make you act stupid. Don’t fall in love, Tzuyu,” Jihyo said, jokingly.

Tzuyu let the words spin through her head. Crushes? Chaeyoung had only started acting this way recently...and who had come along right around then? Oh. Wow, Tzuyu suddenly felt like an idiot for not realizing it sooner. Chaeyoung had a crush on Mina.

“Mina,” Tzuyu blurted out, and Jihyo simply smiled at the girl.

Tzuyu wasn’t sure how to feel about this development. She liked Mina, sure, although she was still bitter that Mina beat her in Clue. But, Mina was so...mysterious. Tzuyu was sure the girl was hiding something big. It made Tzuyu slightly uneasy, but perhaps she was simply imagining things.

Jihyo, sensing Tzuyu’s thoughts, reached across the table and took Tzuyu’s hand. “Mina’s a good person,” she affirmed. “Don’t worry.” Jihyo knew how protective Tzuyu could be, especially when it came to Chaeyoung. Despite having a rather hardened personality, Tzuyu had a soft spot when it came to animals and Chaeyoung.

Tzuyu simply nodded. She knew that was something Jihyo would know, due to her powers. It made Tzuyu feel less worried about the whole thing.

“I’ll let you get back to it,” Jihyo said, patting Tzuyu’s hand gently before standing up. Tzuyu watched as Jihyo walked away, probably to go make sure none of her other friends were causing trouble. Despite having interupted her studying, Tzuyu wished Jihyo had stayed a bit longer. 

____________________________________

After a few more days of watching, Mina decided it was time to start using her powers in her abilities class. Chaeyoung had repeatedly told her that she didn’t have to be afraid. Mina, though wary, listened to her friend. She didn’t want to hurt Chaeyoung, and would never forgive herself if she did somehow. She had agreed to begin using them again if Chaeyoung wasn’t her partner.

“Don’t...volunteer to be my partner this time,” Mina asked. At first, Chaeyoung was hurt and confused, but Mina explained herself. “I don’t know what I would do if I hurt you.”

Chaeyoung agreed. She’d help Mina in any way she could, and if that meant not volunteering, she wouldn’t.

The first person partnered with Mina was a boy with light red hair and bangs carefully styled across his forehead. His power was teleportation, which came in handy when avoiding physical blows from an enemy, But Mina’s power was intangible, and her thoughts alone could target someone regardless of their location, as long as they were within her vicinity. Mina was instructed to incapacitate him. Chaeyoung, from the sidelines, held her breath. She was nervous for Mina, but also strangely excited to witness Mina using her powers for the first time.

The boy disappeared and appeared, closer and farther away, fading in and out of Mina’s view. Mina nearly jumped backward as he appeared right next to her, smiling playfully, before he disappeared again. He was acting like this was a game. Did he think Mina would be a weak opponent? Mina’s brow furrowed, focusing, and she extended her hand out in front of her. He glitched into view mid-jump, a few feet away from Mina, and stumbled. He fell to the ground, asleep.

Chaeyoung began clapping and cheering for Mina. Other students murmured to each other, impressed. Nichkhun nodded curtly to Mina, who stepped back from the combat floor immediately. She waved her hand again, and this time Chaeyoung caught a glimpse of the air around it stirring, evidence that she was using her powers, and the boy sat up abruptly, eyes shooting open. He jumped up and blinked, confused. Everyone laughed, and Nichkhun explained that Mina had put him to sleep. He shook Mina’s hand, not bitter at all, but impressed.

The next few days occurred in a similar manner. Each time a new student would challenge Mina, and each time they’d drop in seconds. While everyone was impressed, there was a tension beginning to build. Mina was powerful, almost too powerful. Could anyone really stop her?

Eventually Nichkhun had her taking on multiple students at once. This required her to concentrate harder and dodge any incoming attacks from the other parties. Still, she was successful.

“You’re unstoppable!” Chaeyoung mused one day after class, patting Mina on the back. The older girl simply shook her head. She looked very uncomfortable with everything, despite her growing popularity among the students and teachers. Nichkhun eventually requested that she do more than hypnotize people to sleep, which was her go-to move, and so she had to get more creative. She was a bit nervous to go beyond that point, but she did as she was told.  

Her two challengers today were suddenly convinced that they were supposed to be fighting each other instead of Mina. As the two boys decked it out, throwing fireballs and electroballs respectively, Nichkhun called to Mina to make it stop. With a wave of her hand it was done, and the two boys were left flabbergasted, looking at each other in confusion.

After that class, Mina was pulled aside by Nichkhun as students poured out of the classroom. Chaeyoung, who was standing next to Mina, paused and gave Mina an encouraging nod before she left the classroom. Mina gulped, having no idea what Nichkhun would have to say to her.

“Mina, you’ve been doing exceptional lately. Do you feel as though you’re honing your abilities to a greater extent?”

Truthfully, yes, the exercises were helping her hold back, which is what she wanted. She nodded at him.

“I think it’d be in your best interest to be moved to the higher level abilities class. I already talked to JYP and he agrees, as long as you’re comfortable with it.”

Mina’s eyes widened. She certainly didn’t expect that. She wanted to learn to control her powers yes, but not make them stronger. Would this be the way to do that?

“Okay,” she replied. She knew Nayeon, Jeongyeon and Jihyo would at least be in her class. She’d be leaving Chaeyoung, but the younger girl would certainly understand, wouldn’t she?

_____________________

Dahyun liked to walk around the school grounds. For one, the landscape was well kept, and she liked the fresh air. Being cooped up inside all day made her stir crazy. She’d take a walk daily, when weather allowed it, after her last class of the day. It allowed her to think and clear her mind.

A few days ago though, as she began her walk, she heard a high pitched voice calling her name, and spun around to see Sana running toward her. Her Sana. She flushed with embarrassment as Sana drew nearer, huffing a bit from the run, but smiling nonetheless.

“Can I tag along?” she asked innocently, staring at Dahyun with puppy eyes. How could anyone ever say no?

“Of course!” Dahyun sang, trying to hide her excitement. She’d been wanting to spend some time alone with Sana recently, but didn’t really know how to ask. Now, here she was, clinging to her arm and giggling. Dahyun was on Cloud 9.

Despite Sana’s normally hyperactive personality, the girl was silent as they took their walk, much to Dahyun’s surprise. It was nice to just spend time together in silence. They took in the view of the garden and flowers and that was enough.

It became routine for Sana to join her whenever their classes allowed it. They became “walking buddies”, as Sana put it. At first, the contact of Sana’s arm against her own had made Dahyun jittery, but she was quickly getting used to it. Being alone with Sana made her nervous, because she knew she couldn’t control the pounding of her heart. Did Sana hear it? Did she see right through her?

Today though, Sana started conversation amid their quiet walk. It was unexpected, but pleasant. “Do you ever think about leaving here one day, and where you’ll go?”

Dahyun reflected for a moment, turning her head to her right to see Sana’s thoughtful eyes shining at her. “I always wanted to be on TV,” she blurted out. The thought sounded ridiculous now, and Dahyun felt embarrassed for having said that out loud.

Sana smiled, and her gaze turned even brighter. “An actress?”

“Maybe. Or a talk show host. Maybe even on a variety show. Something where I could make people laugh.” Dahyun shyly turned away, but she could still see Sana’s warm gaze on her from the corner of her vision. Sana had a way of looking at people as if they were her entire world. Dahyun could feel her heart rate increasing.

“You’d be amazing,” Sana agreed. “A star. You’d capture everyone’s hearts.”

Dahyun could feel herself blushing. “What about you?”

“I’ve always loved music...maybe singing?” she said, shyly.

“Really?” Dahyun asked.

“My grandmother and I, when I was a kid, we’d watch performers on TV, and sing along to the performances.” This was back before her grandmother passed, leaving her alone. She’d run away from the aunt that took her in, a wicked woman who seemed to despise her as soon as she arrived, and after wandering around without a destination, ran into Momo.

“I bet you’d be amazing!” Dahyun replied.

“You haven’t heard me sing yet!” Sana laughed.

“Oh, right...well, I just have a feeling,” Dahyun said, with a sheepish grin on her face.

Sana ruffled the younger girl’s hair and they both laughed. “Thanks for having faith in me.”

“Sana? Sana!” A voice yelled, startling both Sana and Dahyun. The girls spun around to see Jihyo and Nayeon, across the courtyard, waving them down. “Come quick!” Jihyo yelled. The look of fear on Jihyo’s face was enough to send both girls running in their direction, even though Sana usually avoided running at all costs.

“Momo’s in trouble, we’re going to go get her,” Nayeon explained. “I called Mina and Chaeyoung and they’re both on their way. We got the okay from JYP to take a van and find her.”

Without a word, Sana and Dahyun both hurried behind Nayeon and Jihyo, who were making their way toward the gate where the school’s vehicles were located.

Mina and Chaeyoung came running up behind them, both looking worried. The girls quickly got into one of the school’s SUVs, with Nayeon taking the wheel, while Jihyo entered Momo’s location into her phone’s map app. “She’s ten minutes away,” Jihyo said, and Nayeon stepped on the gas hard, nearly throwing everyone forward.

“What happened?” a frazzled Sana asked. She felt sick, knowing her best friend was in some sort of danger.

“Momo called me, saying she was taken by someone when she was out on a grocery run.” Momo stocked up on snacks weekly, venturing out the school walls and to the closest grocery store. “She said she woke up in a car but it was dark and she could barely see anything. All she remembered was a man who hit her from behind when she walked outside. She’s not sure where she was headed. The call ended abruptly, but with JYP’s help we were able to track down her location using her phone. She’s at some warehouse outside of the city.” Nayeon spoke quickly, and looking at her face she was trying her best to stay calm.

“We’re not sure who took her or how many of them there are, so that’s why you’re all here. Now’s the time to take what we used in abilities class and apply it to real life,” Jihyo said.

“It’s the HCA.” Dahyun leaned forward in her seat. “I just know it. How did they find us?”

A shiver went down Sana’s spine. If Momo was in the hands of the HCA, there was no telling what they were doing with her now. Hang in there Momo, we’re coming, Sana thought. She pictured Momo tied up. Alone and afraid. Her stomach dropped.

The rest of the ride was plagued in silence. Nayeon pulled up outside of the warehouse, on the side of the street. It was a large, industrial looking building with a dark grey exterior. Quietly the girls got out of the truck and approached a door. There was a single van parked near the building. “I can sense someone inside. 2 people,” Jihyo confirmed. She scanned the building as they approached. "One on the ground floor, and one on the second floor." 

Chaeyoung opened the door with her telekinesis, as it was locked. The metal door creaked with her force, and then slowly opened. Nayeon was the first to enter, peaking inside the building, which was totally lit. They entered a huge, empty room. A second floor was visible from where they stood, with stairs leading up to it on the far end of the building. There was not a person in sight.

“I don’t like this,” Dahyun whispered. “What if it’s a trap?”

Before anyone could say a word, there was a loud, blaring alarm, sounding a single note which lasted for a few seconds before subsiding. A white gas, nearly invisible and wispy in nature, began spraying quickly into the room directly at the girls from all sides. They were enveloped in the mist in an instant, and began coughing and shielding their eyes as it burned down their throats and in their lungs. It lingered in the air for a moment longer, before it suddenly cleared up, and the burning stopped.

“Yeah, definitely a trap,” Dahyun remarked.  

“What was that?” Nayeon nearly yelled, eyes wide. “Poisonous gas?”

“Well, we’re still breathing,” Chaeyoung observed. “It hurt to breath in but I think we’re okay, at least for now. Is everyone else alright?”

Everyone nodded.  

“We have to keep going and get Momo,” Nayeon exclaimed. “We find her, and then we get out.”

“We can all check in with Miss Suzy when we’re back, just to make sure we’re all alright,” Jihyo added.

“First sign of trouble and I’m jumping back in time,” Nayeon assured. “But for now let’s just go.”

“Chaeyoung and Mina, can you guys check the second level? Stay together, and call immediately if you need help,” Jihyo instructed.

Chaeyoung took the lead, with Mina trailing behind. Both looked on red alert as they began to cross the large room.

“We’ll split off too. Nayeon, with me, we’ll check this half of the ground floor, Sana and Dahyun, you check the other,” Jihyo continued.

The girls broke off, going their respective ways. Sana reached for Dahyun’s hand and held it tightly. She felt as if she might pass out at any moment from nerves alone. “This place is huge. I’ll duplicate myself and cover more ground that way,” Dahyun said. She closed her eyes and her brow furrowed in concentration. Sana watched her closely, anticipating the familiar cloning effect. They waited. Another minute passed. Nothing. Dahyun opened her eyes, looking frustrated and confused. “I can’t...my powers...they’re not working…”

There was a sudden panic. Sana was pulling Dahyun down towards the end of the building where there were multiple doors. “We need to find her,” Sana urged. “You can still see me right?”

Dahyun nodded quickly and Sana in a breath. “Then I can’t use my powers either. Oh God, Momo where are you?”

They kicked opened the first door after fumbling with a lock, and, much to their surprise, there was Momo sitting against the wall, hands behind her back. The brunette looked up in surprise as Sana and Dahyun entered and cried out at the sight of them.

“Momo!” Sana yelled, and ran to her friend, kneeling down beside her. Sana took Momo’s face in her hands, sighing with relief. “Thank God!”

“My hands,” Momo replied. She attempted to stand but stumbled, and Sana quickly helped the girl to her feet. She saw that Momo’s hands were bound with thick rope.

“I’ll find something to cut it,” Dahyun replied, running out of the room. Sana pulled Momo towards the door, and they staggered there together, Momo leaning against Sana with every step.

“Here!” Dahyun cheered, holding up an unusually large knife. A hunting knife, the girl supposed, but she didn't question it. She had found it conveniently sitting near another door. She ran over to Momo and carefully sawed at the rope until Momo was able to pull her hands free.

Sana squealed and threw herself at the older girl as soon as her arms were free. Momo stepped back in surprise but hesitantly returned Sana’s hug. “We were so worried! What happened?” Sana cried.

“It was the HCA...a man jumped me…” was all Momo said. She looked slightly out of it, but Sana couldn’t blame her. She had just been kidnapped, after all.

“Jihyo, Nayeon!” Dahyun called out, hoping the older girls would hear her. She still held the knife in her hands awkwardly. When they didn’t respond, she set down the knife on the floor to the side and pulled out her phone, immediately dialing Jihyo’s number. She held up the phone to her ear and waited as it rang twice, before Jihyo picked up.

“We found Momo!” Dahyun practically yelled.

“Be right there,” Jihyo responded. “I’ll call Mina and Chaeyoung too.” She hung up the phone, and Dahyun sighed with relief. Sana had finally let Momo go, and was anxiously shifting her weight from foot to foot, waiting to leave.

“This place is giving me the creeps,” Sana whispered, looking around at the large warehouse. Momo walked over and picked up the knife Dahyun had set down, looking at it curiously. Dahyun and Sana looked over at her and gave her no mind.

“Hopefully Mina and Chaeyoung are alright, Jihyo said there was someone else here...maybe the man that kidnapped Momo?” Dahyun was thinking out loud, and Sana was nodding along, looking worried. They were both looking across the huge expansive room, where Jihyo and Nayeon were quickly approaching.

“At least we found Momo and we can just…” Sana’s eyes widened suddenly and her brow furrowed. She coughed, parting her lips slightly, as if in disbelief and shock. “And we can just…” she tried to continue, and this time she looked down at her chest, where the point of a knife was suddenly protruding, tip shining with red, hot

blood.

Dahyun’s mouth was open in a silent scream as she stared at Sana in horror. It was like the world around her had stopped and she could no longer function. Sana? Sana. SANA.  

“Dahyun?” Sana asked, looking up at Dahyun with the face of someone who was very afraid. The knife was ripped backward, slicing back through her chest the same way it had entered in one, smooth . Sana winced and a strange, inhuman noise escaped . “Dahyun?” she repeated, eyes turning blank as her knees buckled and she fell onto the cement floor.

Dahyun collapsed beside the girl, mouth still open, chest refusing to breathe. All she saw was red. Red everywhere. And familiar looking boots standing beside Sana. She followed the boots up and was looking at Momo, whose face was twisted into a triumphant smile. And the knife. The hunting knife from before. It was in her hand.

The screams rang out from all sides but they sounded far away. Dahyun was beside Sana, squeezing the girl’s trembling hand while pressing her free hand against Sana’s bleeding wound.

Blood. Red everywhere. Seeping through the cracks in Dahyun’s fingers. Smelling like iron. Dahyun could almost taste it in . Bitter.  

And Sana. Sana who was always smiling, always laughing, always there. The forward, violent motion of a knife was enough to rip that all away. “Hang on, we’ll get you to Miss Suzy, alright? Miss Suzy will heal you up, you’ll be fine!” Dahyun whispered, almost pleading. Her voice was wavering. “Sana? Sana, look at me. You’re fine, alright?”

Nayeon, across the room, had seen Momo approach Sana. Momo, who sat next to her at lunch. Momo, who gave her piggyback rides when she was too tired to move. Momo, who told her she looked beautiful no matter what she did with her hair. Momo, who she loved. That person, with Momo’s eyes and hair and face, who took a knife and stabbed it without second thought into her best friend’s back, that was not Momo.

Nayeon’s screams rang out too late as she saw the knife, glinting in the sunlight spilling through the cracked windows. She lifted her neuralyzer, the tool which helped her travel precisely back through time, and clicked the button on top. She expected to feel the familiar rush of being pushed back, but there was nothing. Nothing. She clicked her neuralyzer again. Nothing. She cried out; frustration, anger and devastation bursting from her chest. Why wasn’t it working? IT HAD TO WORK.

“My powers,” Nayeon said weakly. Jihyo’s arms were around her waist, holding her up.

“Something’s blocking them,” Jihyo murmured. “I can’t use mine either.” Together, the two of them rushed forward toward Dahyun and Sana, as Momo quickly backed away, spinning on her heel. Nayeon wanted to chase after Momo but she was so in shock that her legs felt numb. She could only watch as she headed toward the stairs leading to the second floor. There was a pit in Nayeon's stomach. She knew that girl was not, could not, be Momo.

“We need to get her back to JYP’s now,” Jihyo ordered, trying to put a brave face on for Dahyun and Nayeon.

 

Back at JYP’s, Jeongyeon had been watching Youtube videos when her phone suddenly vibrated with Nayeon’s contact lighting up the screen. She hesitantly picked up.

“What?” she asked, sounding slightly annoyed. Sometimes Nayeon would call Jeongyeon just to get on her nerves and she didn't think this time would be an exception.

“Have you seen Momo lately?” Nayeon asked, and Jeongyeon instantly stood up, hearing the fear in Nayeon’s voice.

“No, why? I figured she’d be with you…”

“Can you check her room please?” Nayeon pleaded. Her voice sounded borderline hysterical.

“What happened? Tell me.” Jeongyeon made her way out of her room, down the hallway toward the room Sana and Momo shared. Sana and Momo almost never locked their room. Jeongyeon knocked once, then twice, and when she didn’t hear anything she opened the door.

“There’s no time but—”

“Oh my god!” Jeongyeon cried out, and Nayeon, where she stood next to Jihyo, began trembling.

“Jeongyeon! Jeongyeon? What is it?” Nayeon gripped her phone tightly, trying to block out the sound of Dahyun’s crying in the background.

“It’s Momo...she’s...oh my god, Momo,” Jeongyeon shrieked. Nayeon had never heard Jeongyeon sound so unsettled. A wave of dread washed over Nayeon, more than what she already felt. “I need to go get help!” Jeongyeon spun on her heel, leaving the door wide open as she ran for the boy’s wing. She waved her hands and the world around her froze as time came to a stand still, allowing her to move as quickly as possible. In that moment, Nayeon was quiet, and Jeongyeon took the time to gain her composure. Once she reached her destination, she snapped and time started again.

“Jeongyeon!” Nayeon screamed. Tears were running down her face. “Is Momo okay? Tell me! Tell me!”

“She’s...frozen. Frozen solid. Nayeon, I’m getting help, I’ll call you back—”

“Jeongyeon!” Nayeon screamed again, and nearly threw her phone across the room, seeing the call had ended.

 

Jae. That was the one named burned into her mind at the moment. Jae. Need to find him. Need to find him. Jeongyeon pounded on the older boy’s door. “Jae! You in there? Momo needs help! Please!”

There was the sound of movement on the other side, and then Jae opened his door, glasses askew, blonde hair sticking up in every direction, looking frazzled.

“Come with me, now!” Jeongyeon commanded, turning to run back towards Momo’s room. “Hurry Jae!”

Jae did as he was told, not even questioning it. The look on Jeongyeon’s face was enough to tell him whatever it was it was serious.

They abruptly stopped in the doorway of Momo’s room, and Jae opened his mouth in shock, staring at Momo, who was on the ground, practically a shade of blue.

“Can you help her?” Jeongyeon asked, collapsing down beside the girl and grabbing the girl’s arm, only to recoil at the burning cool touch.

“I...I can try,” Jae stuttered, quickly bending down onto his knees beside the girl. He put both hands on her left arm and furrowed his brow as a light began to appear from both his hands; an orange glow. The frost on Momo’s arm was beginning to fade and melt away. The frost was retreating, further and further. “I just have to be careful not to overheat her,” he exclaimed.

“I’m calling Miss Suzy now,” Jeongyeon said. “Just keep doing what you’re doing.”

“C’mon Momo,” Jae muttered, continuing to concentrate. The frost had almost retreated now, leaving the floor beneath her wet with what was once ice.

Momo’s lips were slightly blue, but she was no longer a human icicle. “Miss Suzy? Yes, this is Jeongyeon. Can you come to Momo’s room now? She’s hurt. Okay.” Jeongyeon hung up the phone. She moved Momo so that her head was lifted onto her lap. Jeongyeon held her hand in front of Momo’s mouth, hoping to feel breath. Nothing. She grabbed Momo’s wrist, searching for a pulse, she held her breath.

They waited in silence. There! Jeongyeon felt something. It was weak, but there. “What happened?” Jae asked. “How…?” No one at the school had this kind of power.

“I have no idea…” Jeongyeon sighed. “But I think Nayeon might be in trouble too. She knew something was wrong…”

Suzy appeared in the doorway. Without a word she was beside Momo. Jae jumped out of the way as she held a hand to Momo’s forehead. Everyone was still. Jeongyeon was staring at Momo, willing her to open her eyes. Right now, she felt as though her powers were useless. Pausing time would do no good. Reserving time would, maybe. Where was Nayeon?

As if reading her thoughts, Suzy explained what she knew. “JYP told me eveything. Sana is in trouble, she was stabbed. As soon as Momo’s feeling up to it she has to go get Sana and bring her back here.”

Momo’s eyes opened and she coughed. She looked up at Jeongyeon and began shivering uncontrollably. Jeongyeon wrapped her arms around the girl, attempting to keep her warm.

“Momo,” Suzy said softly. “You need to go get Sana, she’s hurt and you’re the only one who can get her fast enough.” At the sound of Sana’s name Momo lifted her head. Suzy handed her a phone with the coordinates of Sana’s location already plugged in.

Momo simply nodded, stood up, and despite her chattering teeth, began running. She disappeared in a blur.  


 

Meanwhile, Mina and Chaeyoung, who were in another room on the other side of the factory, had no idea what had just happened. They had entered a few rooms and found them empty, before finally stumbling across a room with a man sitting at a desk inside, phone in hand. He was a short man, but was quite muscular, with a big frame. Certainly not the type of guy you’d want to mess with. Especially not with the pistol sitting on the desk, easily within reach. The man quickly stood up at their entrance, causing Mina and Chaeyoung to freeze.

“We’re mutants,” Chaeyoung stuttered. “Don’t move and we won’t hurt you.” She held up a hand menacingly, and Mina did the same. Chaeyoung hoped they looked somewhat intimidating, but doubted it, with them wearing their school uniforms and being each less than five foot four inches tall.

The man hesitated for a moment, but then simply smiled, looking smug. “Nasty, filthy mutants,” he muttered. “You came after all, just like she said.”

Chaeyoung’s phone began vibrating in her pocket. She hastily pulled it out after seeing Jihyo’s contact lighting up the screen, making sure to keep a close eye on the man in front of them.

“Sana’s been stabbed,” Jihyo blurted out, and Chaeyoung took a sharp intake of breath, so fast that it felt like knives were sticking into her own lungs. “We can’t use our powers, something’s blocking them—it might have been that gas, maybe—so we need to get her back to the school, now.” Jihyo’s usually calm voice was wavering slightly. Chaeyoung couldn’t help but notice how she sounded afraid.

The room was quiet enough for Mina to hear every word Jihyo had said. She covered with her hands and held back a sob.

“And Chaeng...it was—”

The door to the room they were in swung open, revealing Momo with the knife in hand, slick with blood. The movement was so unexpected that Mina almost jumped. So in shock, Chaeyoung was barely able to choke out: “Momo?”

The girl continued to walk forward toward Mina and Chaeyoung, with a smile stretched out on her face. It looked foreign, out of place on Momo’s features, like it had been stuck on.

“Momo...what did you do?” Chaeyoung gasped.

Momo ignored Chaeyoung, and instead looked at Mina. Mina and Chaeyoung were backing up with every step Momo took forward, almost joining the man where he stood, back against the wall. “Oh Mina, I really didn’t want to do this. But you gave me no other choice.”

Mina stopped backing up. Her eyes lit up with confusion, and then finally recognition.

“That’s right,” she said, smile widening at Mina’s expression. “You know me, your old friend. Partners in crime. Remember all the secrets we stole together?”

Mina was speechless, but her hands were clenched into fists. Her mind was screaming in agony to render the girl in front of her unconscious but it seemed her powers weren’t working as well. “Having a little trouble there?” Momo laughed, sensing her struggle.

“You…” was all Mina could manage to say, meanwhile Chaeyoung looked between Mina and Momo with a confused and terrified look on her face.

Momo’s appearance suddenly changed, skin flipping back into tiny scale-like flecks, until almost instantaneously she no longer looked like Momo, but Mina instead. A spitting image of the girl. Chaeyoung almost cried out at the sight.

The girl that looked like Mina held the knife out in her hands, almost tauntingly. Blood had trickled down and stained her hands red. “Look what you did,” the girl said with a voice that sounded just like Mina’s, and she tsked her tongue like a disappointed parent.

The girl dropped the knife, and it fell to the floor with a clang, like the volume of a fire alarm going off in a library. “I’ll be in touch,” she said, winking at Mina before she walked past Chaeyoung and Mina, toward the exit.

“H-hey!” the man cried at the girl. “What about me? Don't you have to round up the rest of them? We had a deal!”

Chaeyoung made a lunge at the girl but Mina, the real Mina, held her back. “Don’t,” she begged, and Chaeyoung didn’t fight her. The girl disappeared out the door.    

Mina collapsed to the ground, breathing haggardly. Chaeyoung’s hand was gripping her forearm, and the younger girl fell to the ground with her, albeit more gracefully.

“It’s my fault,” Mina whispered, tears beginning to erupt from the corners of her eyes.

“It’s not your fault,” Chaeyoung assured, staring at the older girl’s tear-stained face. “There was nothing you could have done. She’s obviously a shapeshifter, she fooled us all.”

Mina groaned and shook her head, burying her face in her hands. “You don’t understand!” she yelled, and Chaeyoung flinched back at the volume. “That girl...she did this because of me. She warned me, but I—I didn’t listen. I didn’t let her out. She begged and screamed...I thought I’d never see her again but...she found me. I thought we were safe here. I thought we all were. I thought I’d never have to hurt anyone again. But if I—”

Chaeyoung the girl’s hair, trying to calm her. “Slow down,” she murmured. She couldn’t begin to make sense of what Mina was saying, as it was jumbled and nonsensical. “Breathe. Sana will be alright, as soon as they get her back to JYP’s. In the meantime, we need to go back, now.”

Mina looked up at the man in front of them. He seemed much more confident now that it was certain that their powers were somehow rendered useless, but slightly on edge now that the girl had left him. But something had snapped in Mina. She scrambled over to the man’s gun, which laid untouched on the desk. She grabbed it, clocked it, and held it levelly in front of her, aiming it directly at the man’s head. He shouted and held up his hands immediately.

“Don’t shoot!” he begged, but Mina’s eyes were wild, almost animalistic. Her lips were pulled back in an almost snarl.

“You,” Mina spit the word out like it was poison in . “You’re working with her.”

The man continued to hold up his hands and shook his head wildly. “She recruited me...us...I don’t know anything about her...we had a common goal...said we could work together…”

“Mina,” Chaeyoung said, alarmed at what was transpiring in front of her. “We need to let the police deal with him.”

“Where is she going, do you know?” Mina asked the man, voice shaking.

“N-n-no! I swear! She found us. We almost didn’t want to work with her...a filthy mutant...but she...convinced us.”

“Mina, we need to go...Sana needs us,” Chaeyoung begged, carefully treading closer to the older girl, whose arm was trembling slightly with the gun in hand. Eventually Chaeyoung placed a hand on the girl’s shoulder, trying to coax her to put the gun down.

Mina’s finger hovered over the trigger, she took a breath.

“Mina.” Chaeyoung’s voice was in her ear. Soft. Reassuring.

Mina took another breath and lowered her arm. The man in front of her let out a sob of relief, lowering his arms.

“C’mon,” Chaeyoung said, pulling Mina toward the exit, back towards the main room. “We need to help Sana, she needs us.”

Mina wordlessly began following Chaeyoung. The gun felt heavy in her hand, but she didn't dare drop it with that man still staring them down. She clicked on the safety though. 

“The police will deal with you,” Chaeyoung remarked, glaring at the man. He took a few steps backward and sprinted toward the door in which the mysterious, shapeshifting girl had disappeared through.

Chaeyoung took Mina’s hand and together they ran to where Jihyo, Nayeon and Dahyun were standing on the main floor. Dahyun was knelt down on the ground beside Sana, who appeared bloody and crumbled.

Jihyo looked up as they approached. “Thank God you two are okay,” Jihyo said. “That girl...Momo…”

“She’s a shapeshifter, among other things,” Mina said, and everyone turned to her. Their eyes widened upon seeing the gun in her hand. 

“You know who that was?” Nayeon asked. Mina saw her eyes were red rimmed, and she was shivering, but not from the cold.

“Yes.”

“We’ll discuss it later. JYP is sending someone to pick up Sana. Momo, the real Momo, should be—”

Immediately a blur whizzed by, and a gust of wind blew back the hair of the girls gathered around Sana as Momo appeared. “Help her on my back,” Momo instructed, lowering herself so that Sana could be lifted up. Dahyun and Nayeon wordlessly helped to lift the girl up. “Hold on, okay,” Momo whispered to a barely conscious Sana, who simply murmured, but managed to cling to Momo. “I’ll see you all back there.” Another gust of wind, she became a blur, and was gone. Dahyun held back a sob, leaning against Jihyo for support.

“Everyone in the car, now,” Jihyo instructed. Everyone wordlessly followed Jihyo outside and to the back parking lot. As soon as everyone was seated, and Nayeon started the car, Dahyun began to sob. Jihyo rubbed her back and let the girl cry into her shoulder.

Mina felt numb, watching Dahyun cry, she felt like a dagger was being into her heart again and again.

“How do you know her?” Nayeon asked Mina, who was sitting in the passenger seat beside her.

Mina sighed.

“Mina,” Nayeon’s voice was loud and commanding. She was gripping the steering wheel with white knuckles as she gunned it toward the school. She gritted her teeth. “Please.”

Mina leaned forward and blinked, causing a tear to fall down her cheek, clinging to her skin and leaving a wet, glossy trail. “I guess I’ll start from the beginning.”

____________________________

____________________________

Who is this mysterious girl from Mina's past? Will Sana be okay? Are any of the students at JYP's school safe anymore? What about the gas which seemed to render everyone's powers unusable? Find out more in the next chapter! xx