THE END [PART 2]

Antidote
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You made sure they cleared the area?”

 

Luna turned to His Majesty and nodded with a reassuring smile as they neared the empty residence in the West Wing of the palace. Apart from the Imperial family, everyone else was restricted from coming up to the fifth level of the Western Wing.

 

It was the King’s strict orders after the incident took place.

 

Despite the vacancy, he had guards to keep watch every day and every night; not allowing anyone to step foot unless his orders were retracted.

 

“I’ll keep watch for you.” Luna told, ing her chin towards the dark and empty hallway. “You might need to hurry. It wouldn’t be nice to keep her waiting.”

 

Luhan drew a beam and pulled his sister, passing several doors and room along the way. He felt a tight squeeze on his palm before he was dragged to a halt.

 

“Luhan, I don’t think we should be here.” Krystal mumbled, her eyes trembled as she coiled her hands around her brother’s arm. “Father will be furious—”

 

“Krystal, I’m King now.”

 

The princess looked up to her brother’s eyes, his gaze as gentle and adoring as they could ever get. When Luhan saw that her hold on him loosened, the man turned and took her hand into his again. Although Krystal didn’t understand how big of a gift it could’ve been, she decided that it would be fine to trust her brother now more than ever.

 

The hallways on this level never failed to hit her hidden memories with her brother when they were younger. She stopped coming up to this level a few years back when the King personally forbade her from doing so. Out of the rest of the imperial members, Krystal was the only one restricted from even stepping on the fifth level.

 

Luhan stopped in his tracks right before an oak door, the scent of gardenias still filled the air heavily. But before he opened the door, he turned back to his sister and held both of her shoulders.

 

“Krystal, do you remember the promise I made to you when we were younger?” Luhan’s voice was as light as air, “The promise I said I’ll fulfil—to you—once I become King?”


 

~”~


 

“Krystal!”

 

Luhan came rushing out of the shelter as he pulled his sister up, both of them now drenched in the rain despite the servants rushing with umbrellas. But the other wouldn’t budge from the muddy ground as she wailed and cried for her mother. 7-year-old Luhan didn’t know why, or how things got to how they were now. Despite it all, he knew he couldn’t shed a single tear as he too watched his mother being escorted out of the palace.

 

On foot.

 

All the respect and honour his mother had built on her own, instantly gone overnight because everyone thought she didn't deserve her title. And not him, nor his father could undo this decree. His palms fisted by his sides as he realised that even the King wasn’t the mightiest of them all. His father was in the puppet’s seat while the ministers—

 

They were the puppeteers.

 

It amused Luhan so much, how everyone else in the Kingdom thought that his father, their King, was the most powerful man amongst them all. He knew that His Majesty probably didn't want things to get to this, but he should've known—especially since Luhan’s mother was a person of smarts and intellect. The ministers from the opposing faction feared keeping such a dangerous woman by the King’s side, but of course, this wouldn't be their first attempt at deposing queens.

 

“Father, I want mother back! Please bring her back!” Krystal screamed her lungs out, and Luhan didn't know how to console and assure the 5-year-old. “Please bring her back! Luhan, please bring her back!”

 

“Your Highness, we have to go back into the shelter. You will catch a cold,” Luhan’s turned to see an equally drenched Luna who held an umbrella over their heads. He was about to retort when she gave a soft smile in return. “You will worry your mother, don't you want her to have a peace of mind?”

 

Luhan didn't know how to respond, but bent down to bring his sister into his arms, facing the opening gates as they both watched their mother’s white dress and slumped silhouette. And even though the rain seemed to blur his vision, Luhan was certain, that even though the woman was all drenched and soaked in the rain, she still spun around and wore her comforting and tender smile—as if wanting to tell them that she will be okay.

 

And that they’ll meet soon again, one day.

 

That was when Krystal clung tightly on Luhan’s wet shirt, looking at him with puffy and glassy eyes.

 

“Luhan… Will we ever see her again, will father make her come back to us again?”

 

Luhan knew that their father could never. Because if he took back his own edict, he would still be endangering her life. And there was no way anyone could bring her back, Luhan knew at least that much despite his age. No one at all could bring her back unless—

 

Unless a new heir rises to the throne.

 

The young prince pressed his sister close to his chest as his arms enveloped around her, a burning flame ignited in his eyes as he whispered softly in his sister’s ear.

 

“Father can never bring her back, but I can.” He told, determined as ever. “I’ll bring her back Krystal, I promise. I promise, I’ll bring her back.”


 

~”~


 

Krystal raised both her brows when Luhan mentioned the promise he made back then, but she didn't have any expectations raised in her heart. Because after he made the promise, Luhan barely spared her time. He was always running and rushing off to the library and had to study more about the external affairs of the palace. Truthfully speaking, it was as if Luhan wasn't even there.

 

“I know, I wasn’t around as often as I thought I would be but… All I wanted to do then was to find out, how I could bring her back.” Luhan paused and let out a soft sigh, smiling as twisted the knob of the oak door. “And… I think, I finally… I finally did it, Krystal.”

 

The door flew open and bright lights suddenly lit the empty hallway as the glow from the room stood out from the end. The scent of gardenias wafted through the air as Krystal’s eyes widened in surprise, her lips parting as they gape.

 

There, a woman stood in the purest and whitest gown. Her hair made up nicely in a french bun, and as she turned to face the opened door—Krystal saw the crested peacock. The same one she had given to Luhan earlier, fastened and comfortably resting on the left side of the woman’s chest. Her skin was a healthy glow of rich honey, and Krystal couldn’t believe that it has been more than 20 years since she saw the woman.

 

“Mother…?”

 

Krystal’s eyes slowly and silently welled with tears, her feet suddenly felt heavy and glued to the ground. She could barely move an inch as the woman before her gave a tender smile towards her daughter.

 

“Krystal, my baby.” The woman’s voice rang sweetly, reaching an arm forwards as she ushered for her daughter. “It must’ve been hard for you. I’m sorry you had to see me leave without—”

 

Krystal broke into a sob and dashed forwards right into the woman’s arms, circling her own arms around the latter’s upper back. She frantically shook her head at the crook of the woman’s neck, sobbing and catching her breaths desperately as she held on to her tight.

 

“No—please.” Krystal cried into her mother’s chest, “Please don’t apologise, please.”

 

Her mother caressed Krystal’s hair gently as she wailed into her chest, letting a lone tear slide down her cheek as she coaxed her daughter.

 

“I missed you, so much.” Krystal breathed heavily, not letting go of the tight grip she had on the woman. “I wanted to go and see you, but I… I—”

 

“It’s okay Krystal,” her mother cooed into her ear, “I’m here now. I’m here.”

 

Luhan watched the loving scene with unspilled tears in his eyes. He was about to walk out of the room when his name was called.

 

“Luhan?”

 

The newly crowned King swallowed dryly, turning his heels as he came face to face again with his mother. A broken smile crept up his lips.

 

“Yes…?”

 

The woman shook her head lightly, “I’m sure you’ve been strong enough in front of your sister too.” She reached her left arm outwards, her smile unwavering as she motioned her fingers and gestured for him to move. “Come here.”

 

Luhan let out an inaudible gasp, both his palms by his sides as he tried to suppress his sob. But of course, a mother knows their children best; even if they’ve been apart for more than two decades.

 

“It’s okay Luhan, you’ll always be the first baby I fell in love with, ever since you were born.” His mother assured with a soothing voice, “You’ll always be the son I’m proud of, no matter what you feel.”

 

Luhan instantly lost himself and sunk deep into his mother’s embrace, letting his eyes flutter shut and wash his cheeks with the tears he’d been holding back. He couldn't express how much he missed her even when he was around Krystal. He was expected to be King, and he knew that he would lose his chances of being a successful one once he grows if he showed his emotions. It has always been like this, except when…

 

Except when he was with his mother.

 

“There, there.” The woman gently ran her fingers through her son’s gold locks. “You did well, Luhan. You’ve done well, my son.”


 

~”~


 

Shixun leaned her head against Baekhyun’s shoulder and heaved a grunted sigh. She didn't think socialising was so, exhausting. It has been so long, in fact, she didn't remember the last time she had to mix around with so many people. But what warmed her heart was the fact that even commoners from the outskirts of the city were invited in. Of course, thanks to the Kingdom’s advanced technology, they were able to track if there would be any suspicious activities.

 

But so far, there wasn’t even a single one.

 

“Did you see where the King was headed to?”

 

Baekhyun cocked a brow, jerking his chin towards the corner of the ballroom. “Um, he’s right there. Talking to our parents and some other new intern researchers I guess…?”

 

“No,” Shixun rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest. “I meant Luhan.”

 

Baekhyun let out an ‘ah’ in realisation, forgetting that Luhan had already ascended to the throne some time around a week ago. He proceeded to shake hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter