Epilogue

The Final Crescendo

 

8:30 p.m

“ Let’s run away together.”

Your eyes widened in shock, that was all it took to break you, your facade crumbled into a million pieces, tears painfully hanging onto your lashes, trying their best to hold on. You hung your head low, avoiding eye contact at all cost, you knew how you turned to putty under his gaze.

“(Y/n)… Look at me baby” He cup the side of your cheek with his gentle palm, you unknowingly leaned into his touch, your hormones betraying you, oh how you have missed his touch.

“Come with me, let’s finally get our happy ending”

As he rubbed his thumb across your cheek, the look on his face made your heart ache, he looked so defeated, what happened to the strong baekhyun who was unfazed by anything? Had so much changed the past few months? Was it your fault?

“We can’t Baek.” You voice faltering.

“Baby please”

“Please (y/n), don’t you want this too?”

His voice getting softer with every plea.

“I love you, please.”

“You can’t throw away everything you worked so hard for !” you cried, banging his chest with your curled fist.

“You are my everything” He said as he let you pound his chest.

You screamed, the tears now dripping from your chin.

“ YOU CAN’T DO THIS! IT’S NOT FAIR!” you shouted at him, turning your heel and started walking to the stairs.

“ He told me why you left.” You were surprised and stopped dead in your tracks.You had to end this now, before you’d never walk away,

You let out a hollow laugh,

“You’re naive to think that he cares! ”

“He told me how to contact you.” You were beyond baffled, how could your father tell him anything. Remembering how the last encounter with the old man went.

“Bull, he hated us being together!” You felt the pool of anger form within, you turned your heel, facing away from him.

“I talked to him (y/n), I told him I wanted to be with you.”  He wrapped his arms around your shoulders, pulling your back into his chest.

“Are you an idiot? You just debuted and you’re already a star ! Many take years to establish themselves, but you managed to do it overnight, why would you throw it all away?” You let out a choke as the words came tumbling out, the dried tears staining your cheeks.

“Im dying” he whispered as let his head fall on your shoulder.

You turned and looked at him begging it to be a joke, and for once you hated how you could read him like the open book he was to you. His dark orbs stared intenstly at you, this was all too real, you tried to formulate words, you had so many questions for him yet, they had vanish at the tip of your tongue.

“Brain cancer (y/n), I have brain cancer.” he bit back his tears, trying to be strong for the both of you. “Your father found out and told me how to contact you.”

A tear b once again on your already swollen eyes, you managed to choke a ‘Don’t lie’ before staring back at him.

“8 months, that’s what the doctor told me and you know what? The first thought that ran through my mind was ‘I want to spend it all with you’ (y/n), I know I’m being selfish, asking you to love a man who will soon be gone, but I’m allowed to be selfish sometimes right ?” His lips quivered as the last part escaped his lips “I love you (y/n), let me try to love you more in these 6 months than anyone could in a lifetime.” He pressed his chapped lips against yours, as your lips moved in unison with his, you felt the salty liquid reach your lips, but whose tears was it ? You couldn’t tell anymore as the pain in your chest grew with each passing moment.

 xxx

The ride to your house was silent, neither of you wanted to face the hard reality. It felt like you had been thrown into the deep end after just learning to swim, you didn’t know how to react, and imagining yourself in his shoes made you feel like you were drowning, just a matter of time before it all ends.

“Baek,” you gestured for him to take a seat on your bed, “I have something to tell you”, you made your way to your bedside table, fishing out an envelope and handing it to him. “This is yours.”

His eyes widen as he saw the black and white picture, “Why are you giving me a sonogram?” his voice was shaky, unsure, fearful almost of what you were to tell him next. You took his hands in yours and placed it under your sweater, you felt the pads of his fingertips graze over the bump of your belly, goosebumps forming on your arms at the sudden contact. “Why didn’t you tell me?” His voice now laced with hurt and betrayal, yet his hands never moved away from your bump.

“Meet our sweet pea, Baek”

4 months ago

‘Baekhyun had sudden disappeared’ according to the media, but here he was, arms wrapped around my waist as the morning rays shone upon his face. S.M had released statements saying that Baekhyun needed to take some time off to rest, they couldn’t announce the truth, it would be far too damaging for the company and even the people within would be emotionally affected.

“Baek, why don’t you go rest? I’ll call you out when dinner is ready.” You placed a kiss on his cheek before returning to the boiling pots on the stove. His health was rapidly deteriorating, the headaches getting stronger and also lasting longer, becoming more forgetful and the waves of fatigue were becoming more apparent, and all you could do was stand by helplessly as he suffered alone.

It hurt to know Baekhyun’s days were numbered, he too found it hard to be himself during these times, it’s hard to act happy when your body is literally destroying itself and you could not blame him, instead you allowed yourself to be his pillar, a place for him to seek comfort and release built up emotions. There were nights that ended with both of you crying in one another’s embrace with hushed apologies, but there were also nights of endless pleasure, where he kissed butterfly kisses against your skin while whispering sweet nothings.

He would sing you to sleep on those nights where you had trouble sleeping,

Cause you

You could be my only star

You could be the moonlight

You’re all I need in my world forever

I run to you, through the darkness

I’ll hold you close to me through this crazy race

Let’s make it forever

Don’t disappear, this is the end for me

We’ll never find a love like this again

Don’t break my soul

Your gaze,words and everything forever

His voice as beautiful as it is and will ever be, could not hide the sadness behind the words, every word hitting a chord, sometimes you found this song too real, as if it were meant specifically for both of you and the tragic love story you will become.  

It was a far cry from easy, this path you chose to walk on. As you stared at his now sunken features in the moonlight, you realise the entirety of everything,

First, you realise how much he means to you

Second, you realise your child will never remember it’s father

Third, you realised how stupid you were to push him away, how much time you had wasted with your immature behaviour

Fourth, You realise the excruciating pain Baekhyun must be going through physically and mentally  

Last but not least, you realise you love him so much, you wish it were you facing the wrath of the terminal illness in his stead.  

Like a broken record playing, you prayed it were you and not him suffering.

Baekhyun was alone, no one could possibly know how he felt, he was full of imperfections, but so was every unpolished diamond, yet in times of darkness he shined the brightest, he was your only star.

3 months ago

A week before your due date, you both had decided it would be best to both be admitted at the nearby hospital. You were worried for him if you were not around, how if he suddenly lost consciousness, on the other hand, he was worried he would be too weak to help you in an emergency. You had requested for Baekhyun to be able to share the room with you, given your circumstances, no one had the heart to deny you your request.

It was not even a week after you had been admitted, and there you were screaming in pain as the waves of contractions hit you like the crashing tides, baekhyun was in a wheelchair by your side, never letting go of your hand.

“(y/n), deep breaths, I love you.” His voice now very weak but just audible, and after what seemed like hours of labour, your baby girl was born, she was so tiny.

The nurse had placed her in Baekhyun’s arms and you swore you saw the world in his eyes, he placed a small kiss on her forehead before her face with his thumb, you felt your heart swell at the sight of the man you love and the child you shared.

“Baek hee-ah, I’m your appa.” She gripped his finger tightly, before letting out a cute smile.

“I can’t believe you named her that” You sighed, but your lips tugging at the corner said otherwise.

“Shh, Baek hee-ah you like your name right? Your eomma doesn’t appreciate good taste.” He gave her a big smile, the second last you’d see.

Present

You rushed to the hospital with your father and child, you had mended your relationship with your father, he was the only person you could lean on in this time of sadness.

You received a call from the doctor in charge, saying how Baekhyun’s condition took a dive, he advised to come and be prepared for the worst.

You ran to his room, being second nature to you after visiting him everyday for the last 3 months, with your father fast on your tail with baby in hands.

As you reached the room, you took a deep breath before sliding the door and entering, with every step forward you took, you felt your vision cloud, you knelt beside his bed, taking his pale hands between yours. He turned slowly to face you, his body so frail and weak, your father placed Baekhee between you and Baekhyun, there it was, his final smile. He wore that smile like an apology, a sorry stretched across his teeth, “Take care my loves, till we meet again.” as he took his final breath.

“Baekhyun-ah” You whispered as the tears rolled down your pale cheek.

Swallowing the lump in your throat, you managed to say “ I love you”.

Before you saw the light in his eyes fade, his smile now gone forever, his skin as cold as ice in your grasp as you choke back the tears you didn’t know were holding.

Cause you

You could be my only star

You could be the moonlight

You’re all I need in my world forever

I run to you, through the darkness

I’ll hold you close to me through this crazy race

Let’s make it forever

Don’t disappear, this is the end for me

We’ll never find a love like this again

Don’t break my soul

Your gaze,words and everything forever

His voice playing from the small cd player he had left in the bedside table, along with a ring and a small note which read :

‘Marry me in our next lifetime my love, and maybe then it’ll be forever.’

As you sat there alone, you let the tears flow as you felt the wind caressing your cheek, drying your tears , as if he wanted you to know he was there, watching over you both.  

The days that have passed, had already turned into years, yet you had always remembered him with these silent tears you shed,

Your love, Baekhyun.

 

 

A/n: This marks the end of The Final Crescendo, it’s my first finished piece. I hope you all have enjoyed it, thank you for being with me through this journey of mine, I have written other fics so please do check them out. It is a great honour to have been given the support my readers have given me. I am thinking about writing an alternate ending, but only if you want it too, so please tell me, send me a message or

https://ask.fm/Ba3kkie [If you’d like to stay anonymous]

Thank you !

Love, Manda