Second

Wolf Boy

The moon was still high up in the night sky as six men were all gathered up in the living room as they all silently stare at the creature seemingly sleeping peacefully by the sofa bed. The golden brown wolf had already been cleaned and cured. All bandaged up neatly by the veterinarian of the group using the first aid kit that they have there. Now only needing rest to be able to fully heal and it looks like the animal won't be waking up soon by the looks of it.

Chanyeol, sitting by a small stool beside the sofa bed, quietly sighed as he waited for his friends' reaction.

Earlier when he got back to the camp, he had been frantical and a little panicky as he struggled to carry the animal inside their cabin before immediately running to find supplies. All the while, his friends woke up with all the commotion and had audibly gasped at the sight of the creature but they were all too shock to say anything as the veterinary took care of the animal. Sehun and Luhan even complying to Chanyeol's commands of grabbing things he had needed. Base on him, the wound needed to be stitched a little for the bleeding to stop or the wolf could die by losing a lot of blood and thankfully, he managed to do so.

Now that everything had calmed down, Chanyeol was waiting for whatever his friends was going to say. He knew what he had done. He had acted on impulse again without thinking of the consequences of his actions. He just hopes that they wouldn't be that mad at him.

"..that's a large dog-" Jongdae was the first one to break the silence only to be cut off by the tall veterinary.

"That's a wolf, Jongdae. Not a dog."

"A wild animal," Kyungsoo butted in as he looked at Chanyeol incredulously, arms crossed over his chest.

Chanyeol sighed inwardly as he looked back at the smaller man who was standing at the other corner of the room.

"Chanyeol, what were you thinking? Bringing a wild animal here? This is dangerous!" Kyungsoo exclaimed, throwing an arm over his head.

"I know, okay!" Chanyeol whisper yelled as he didn't wanted to wake up the wolf. "But I couldn't just leave him there-"

"I understand where you're coming from," Kyungsoo cut him off, now speaking a little more calmly. "But that creature is dangerous," he pointed at the wolf who was still peacefully slumbering despite the small commotion happening around him before looking back at the taller man. "It's a wild animal that belongs to the forest! Yeol- I-" Kyungsoo took a deep breath to calm his erratically beating heart before continuing, "For all we know, it could attack us the moment it wakes up!"

"It won't, Soo," Chanyeol countered back a little calmly, not wanting to burst out in his friend because he knows Kyungsoo was just afraid. "His front leg is fractured. I doubt that he could even stand up properly with all his wounds."

"Still, Yeol, it's dangerous," Kyungsoo reasoned out more, gathering approving nods from their friends. "You need to bring it back into the wild where it belongs."

"Soo!" Chanyeol said as he looked up at his friend with disbelieving eyes. "I know that but I can't do that now. I don't think it can survive the wild yet."

"The wild is its home! I'm sure it can take care of himself. You had helped him enough. So, please," Kyungsoo almost pleaded. He was getting more and more anxious by the time the animal stays in their cabin.

"What are you so afraid of, huh?" Chanyeol bit back, slowly losing his calm. "I know what I'm doing-"

"Yeol, you're-"

"Enough," Junmyeon cutted in with a serious tone that made the two immediately shut their mouths. He sternly looked between the two before falling his gaze back on the animal.

After a few moments, Junmyeon let out a sigh as he brushed his hair up. "Chanyeol, Kyungsoo is right," he started calmly that made the taller snap his head up at him, giving him a disbelieving look. "As much I understand you, Chanyeol, he has a point," he started again, tone leaving for no excuses. "That is a wild animal and we can't predict what it would do when he wakes up. So, it's really better if we bring him back. Also, other wolves might have been looking for him and even if he won't attack us, those other wolves might."

Chanyeol breathed out exasperatedly. He knows they're right and now thinking about it, he doesn't even know why he was adamant on keeping the wolf anymore. Sighing, he nodded his head as a response that made Kyungsoo sigh in relief.

"Fine. I'll take care of this," Chanyeol said as he waved a dismissive hand. "You can all go rest up now."

With a slight nod, Kyungsoo proceeded to exit the scene and entered the safety of his room. The others following suit.

"Bye, wolfie," Luhan muttered as he gently patted the sleeping wolf's head with a grin. "Take care." He said before following the others after Chanyeol gave him a small smile.

"Just call if you need us," Junmyeon offered as he placed a hand on the taller's shoulder.

"I'll be fine, Myeon," Chanyeol said with a slightly amused smile.

Junmyeon nodded, "Just bring him back there before sunrise." With Chanyeol's nod, the older left to continue their much needed sleep.

Now left alone, Chanyeol heaved out a deep sigh before standing up only to sit on the floor beside the sofa bed. He then leaned his chin on top of the sofa, close to the wolf's head as he stared at the animal.

He doesn't know why he was doing this. Yes, he had loved animals since he was young and it had been his profession even but something was just odd about this certain wolf. He then gently the wolf's fur, feeling the softness of it as his thoughts run wild in his head.

"Why do I somehow feel attached to you?" Chanyeol whispered softly under his breath as he wondered out loud. Smiling when the wolf made a grunting noise in his sleep. The room was dark, only illuminated by the moon still shining bright outside.

It was a few moments after, the taller was almost falling asleep on his position when a howl was heard. His head snapped up towards the open window before glancing back at the wolf on the sofa in wonder. He noticed how the wolf's ears twitched as he slowly fluttered his eyes open.

Chanyeol held his breath as the wolf slowly woke up, eyes looking around before locking eyes with the taller. Those eyes, blue like the sea, was staring deeply into him as if it belonged to a person. Eyes that seemed to know him and Chanyeol couldn't make himself look away as they held gazes.

They held eye contact for what felt like hours before they were disturbed by another howl echoing outside. They both snapped their heads towards the window again before the wolf tried to stand up while the taller exhaled the breath he didn't know he held.

What is happening to me? Chanyeol thought but before he could maul over the thought, he quickly sat up as he noticed the creature tried to bite off the bandages on his leg.

"Hey. Hey. Don't do that. You're still wounded," he tried to stop him but only to back away when he received a low growl instead but the wolf suddenly stopped as he snapped his head towards the window again, ears twitching. The wolf then grunted before turning towards Chanyeol.

The taller could only stare back as he watched the animal slowly walk towards him with seemingly careful steps. He didn't backed away or run and only stayed frozen on his place even when the wolf nuzzled his snout on his cheek then sniffing him by his neck. Chanyeol opened his mouth to say something but to only close it again when he found no words to say as he silently stare back again into those deep blue eyes.

Then in an instant, the wolf was gone. Leaving only traces of dust and the bandage it managed to remove before leaping out through the open window and back into the wilderness.

Chanyeol stayed frozen on his spot. Replaying the earlier scene over and over, trying to comprehend anything that just happened.

He breathed out in both disbelief and confusion as he run a hand through his hair. A lot had happened for just one night and he found himself asking this words again, "What the actual just happened?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Weeks had past since the incident happened and their vacation had continued smoothly but only awkwardly at the first few days because of the small confrontation that had taken place between Kyungsoo and Chanyeol. The taller couldn't take the heavy atmosphere that seemed to occupy the place when they were in the same room so he was the first one who approached the smaller to talk things out.

"Soo. Hey. Can we talk?" Chanyeol said one day when they were on their way to the lake to spend the day there. He silently pulled the smaller male by his forearm as they both lagged behind the group. His eyes pleading as he looked at him. "Please."

Kyungsoo softly sighed as he nodded before the taller smiled in relief as he let him go but they stayed on their spot, letting their friends go ahead so they could talk privately for a few moments.

"Soo, look. I'm sorry for raising my voice to you that night. I don't know what got into me. I-"

Chanyeol stopped talking when he heard the smaller chuckle. "What? Why? Why are you laughing?" He asked, confused.

"Nothing," Kyungsoo said with a grin as he shook his head.

"What?" He asked, now more confused as ever. Was his friend a bipolar or what? "Here I thought you were mad at me-"

Kyungsoo heaved out a sigh at the look the taller was giving him. "Chanyeol," he cut him off. "I wasn't really mad. It's more like the other way around," he continued as he glanced up at the taller before looking away, unconsciously scratching his elbow as he felt a little awkward with this kind of situation. He wasn't one to voice out his thoughts or feelings. "I kinda avoided you because I thought I made you mad. I was being a little unreasonable there but I couldn't help it. You know how I am with.."

Chanyeol nodded with an understanding smile. "I know and I was really reckless back there. So, I'm sorry."

"It's fine. I'm sorry too," the smaller muttered as he gazed downwards on the ground.

"Does this mean we're okay now?" He asked hopefully with voice laced with giddiness.

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes before turning on his heel, intending to leave his friend behind, not wanting the awkward conversation to be more awkward on his part. "No."

But that didn't stop the taller as he bounded up towards the smaller, hugging him tightly from behind, making them stumble and almost falling face first on the ground.

"Yah!" Kyungsoo shouted as he tried to push the taller away from him but his attempts were futile.

"Yah, you guys! We've been looking around for the two of you!" Luhan shouted as they went back for their two friends.

"We thought we lost you already," came Junmyeon's voice before turning around and heading back to the lake first, satisfied to know that no one was hurt or anything.

"Stop being lovey dovey there and get your asses here already!" Jongdae screeched before Kyungsoo was being pulled by Chanyeol towards the rest of their friends.

 

 

 

And for the rest of the days of their vacation, everything went well up until the last night of their stay at the cabin.

 

The night breeze was relaxing as the tall veterinary gazes at the expanse of the forest at the back of their cabin. He was leaning on the railings of their back porch with one hand holding a glass of red wine. Tomorrow, they will be heading back to the city and back to their own old routines so despite it being late at night, Chanyeol wanted to spend his last night appreciating the nature.

As he glance through the tall trees ahead, his thoughts wondered again to the golden brown wolf he helped. Remembering those deep blue eyes looking and locking gazes with him. His brows furrowed as he took a sip of his drink, staring aimlessly in front.

Somehow, when he was alone like this, his thoughts would always wonder to that creature as he can't seem to forget the image of a pair of blue eyes. It was as if it had been engrained into the deepest pits of his brain.

He sighed, hanging his head low as he closed his eyes. Maybe he was just hooked up on the fact that he was able to encounter such beautiful creature after working with different species of animals.

And he briefly wondered if he could see it again.

"Hey."

Chanyeol looked up at the owner of the voice with a small grin, tipping the glass of wine towards his friend who was leaning back at the railings beside him. "Hey. Why are you still up?"

"I should be asking you that," Luhan said with a small chuckle before closing his eyes and heaving a deep breath, enjoying the night air breeze.

Chanyeol shrugged as he looked back at the forest. "Just relaxing and appreciating the nature one last time before we go back to the city tomorrow?"

Luhan only chuckled as he glanced back at his friend before silence falls over the both of them. The taller quietly drinking his liquor but after a few moments when a breeze past by, he felt his hair on the back of his neck stood up, suddenly feeling that they were being watched. In initial reaction, he quickly scanned their surroundings, trying to find anyone who would be there but he was only greeted by silence and an empty dark surroundings but the feeling of being watched never left him when he caught something in his peripheral vision. Turning his head around, he caught a small glimpse of something blue by the bushes but it was gone as fast as he blinked his eyes and for a moment he thought he was just seeing things.

Noticing his friend's behavior, Luhan turned around to glance at where the taller was intently staring at, trying to see whatever he was looking at. "Hey. What's up, Yeol?"

"A-Ah, nothing," he answered a little distractedly before prying his eyes away from where he saw a pair of blue dots to smile reassuringly at his friend. "I just thought I saw something but I guess it was just some animal like a squirrel that passed by."

Luhan snorted but didn't asked further. "Alright. Could also be because of what you're drinking," he said that earned him a raised eyebrow from the taller.

"I'm not drunk if that's what you're saying."

"What I'm saying is," Luhan answered after chuckling as he patted the taller on his shoulder. "That I think we should get going now. We'll be packing up early tomorrow and you know how Junmyeon gets."

Chanyeol shook his head at the mention of the oldest in their circle of friends before nodding. "Alright. I'll go back in a few," he said he watched his friend head back inside. He finished up his wine while looking around the place trying to see and confirm that what he saw in a glimpse just a few minutes prior wasn't just a dream but darkness was the only thing that greeted him. After a while, he headed back inside and went to his shared bedroom with Sehun, throwing his body down on his bed and falling asleep the moment he closed his eyes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I'll miss this place so much. One month wasn't just enough," Luhan sighed a bit exaggeratedly as they looked back at the cabin that served their vacation house for a whole month.

"It was fun while it lasted," Jongdae added, pursing his lips as he sighed dreamily towards the said cabin. Sehun and Chanyeol nodding in agreement as they too stare at the place, as if wanting to memories every detail of it.

Junmyeon shooked his head in amusement as he waited by the van's door, Kyungsoo still neatly packing the rest of their things at the back of the vehicle. "Come on, guys. We can always go back here whenever he have our vacation," he said as he ushered everyone inside the car and in a few minutes they were on the road back to the cityㅡtheir homes and workplace, unaware of a pair of blue eyes following them.