Memory 20 : This is Love Song

I Need Memory...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

MIRA'S POV:

The warm summer breeze was blowing wild and free while I stood still for at least fifteen solid minutes. As the scenic view of the spectacular ocean ahead stole my heart, a sum of bittersweet memories also sneaked into my now wavering head. Same spot and the same person but, completely different ambience and different thoughts as well. Luckily for me, today the tourist attraction site was surprisingly deserted with just a handful of people here and there. Since it was middle of the week, I guessed most folks were busy with work and school or other daily routines other than vacationing at a lighthouse.

At a spot not so far from mine, I saw an old couple taking pictures of each other. They were obviously bickering over whose photography skills were worse while I laughed a little at their adorableness. Despite the fake annoyance in their gestures as they argued, the tenderness in the way they gazed at each other was inevitable to ignore. It felt truly magical to witness such everlasting love someone and it inspired my emotions. Grasping my manners right away, I stopped invading their personal space and settled back inside my own little bubble. On time, a familiar song that rather complimented the scenery began playing as I clutched onto the old mp3 device a little tighter.

"Perhaps if I have never encountered you, it would've been the best
If I had been living in another world
If we had been strangers in life
I will not have been left with this inflicting pain in my heart..."

A small smile snuck its way onto my lips as I recalled the soundtrack of the famous drama that was shot at that very spot as well. The irony of the lyrics effortlessly reminded me of a certain specific memory while I hummed along to the melody like a habit.

"Each day & each day forgetting you
Each day & each day abandoned you
In the midst of my heart deeply concealing something
That I can't really openly shout
About all of my love..."

 

Flashback ~
Mukho Lighthouse, 2017.

"And then you began to run away, leaving me to cross this stupid bridge all by myself. Honestly, every time when I thought that I've gotten used to your pranks, you just leap two steps ahead and prove me completely wrong, Mira-yah." He kept on ranting while I quietly guided him across the hanging bridge. I couldn't help but shake the small passage occasionally, only to hear him yelp and hold onto my waist even tighter than he already did.

"Come on, Kim Wonshik. You're not a child anymore." I giggled, enjoying his childishness.

"But I was still a child when you did that back then, Choi Mira." He exclaimed while obviously exaggerating the 'child' part and I could only laugh at his adorableness. Once we safely reached the other end, he released my waist right away and cleared his throat while casually observing the surrounding as if he wasn't glued to me like a caterpillar on a leaf a while ago.

"Checking if anyone witnessed how scared you were a while ago, Kim Ravi-shi?"

"Yah! I am not! I was just... making sure that nobody recognized me, okay?" He offered the lamest excuse which I actually pretty much predicted already.

"Yeah right? It is barely past dawn and I don't think anyone will be insane enough to visit a lighthouse at this time. Except for the lighthouse keeper. Oh, yeah... And us." I remarked smugly and dragged him forward.

"We can't make it to the other spots on time if we don't leave early and by the way, aren't you supposed to be a little acrophobic after the..." Both his rants and my steps stopped at the same time as he immediately regretted his choice of words. 

Yes, I was acrophobic and honestly, it was a sheer surprise to my own self as to how I managed to walk without fainting on that freaking bridge. Maybe it was a muscle memory that overrode my fear of heights or maybe it was the warm pair of hands that were holding me tight all the way.

"You know what, I think your brain is still not awake even after the early morning adventure, sleepyhead. First one to reach the lighthouse gets a reward. JIGEUM!" And I sprinted away without warning while he clearly stood spooked for a few seconds before finally grasping onto the situation.

"Yah! This is not fair!" He yelled before picking up his pace. However, due to the fact of how I was a better athlete than him and also the backpack I deliberately threw behind him to grab before running, I won the bet with ease. I know I shouldn't be proud because I clearly cheated but at least, it brought back the silly laughter back onto his beautiful face and he resumed his rants right after he reached beside me too.

"Will I ever get used to your pranks?" He flicked my forehead playfully and I exaggerated the yelp on purpose, earning another one of his melodic laughter.

Initially, he was kind of eager and talkative when we first stopped at the Chotdaebawi (Candlestick Rock) earlier. However, his excitement died out once he began driving towards Mukho though. He was quiet throughout the entire drive and didn't utter a single world until his apparent 'Hanging Bridge of Hell' came into the view. I knew this trip was quite nostalgic to him and so was it for me but his silence was quite unbearable because he was the only one who actually remembered what this place meant for us. So, I needed him to talk to me by hook or crook.

"Reward time, Ravi-shi!" I demanded cheekily for which he shook his head in defeat and complied like a nice kid.

"Geurae... What do you want, Mira-shi?" He leaned back against the fence and waited for my response while I pretended to ponder over a few options whereas actually, I already knew what I'd want even before I began the race.

"Sing me a song. A song that would be perfect for this lovely place. Romantic love songs would be highly recommended. Oh! And... Park Hyoshin's songs, in particular, might as well earn yourself a reward."

He chuckled a little at my demands while extending his hand for me. However, instead of just holding mine as I expected, he pulled me closer and caged me between his body and the railing. I could feel the slight panic attack piling up in me until a pair of strong arms enveloped my frozen figure from behind. Slowly, my body began to relax in that embrace and soon, my mind was doing the same at the divine sound of his deep voice. Right away, I recognized the song of his selection and to be honest, I wasn't content with it.

Nevertheless, all my heart and soul was trapped in his hollow voice in spite of the ironic lyrics. I realized how he could be singing 'Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star' and my heart would still beat out of my chest like right now.

"Perhaps if I have never encountered you, it would've been the best
If I had been living in another world
If we had been strangers in life
I will not have been left with this inflicting pain in my heart..."

"Each day & each day forgetting you
Each day & each day abandoned you
In the midst of my heart deeply concealing something
That I can't really openly shout
About all of my love..."

"Of all the songs from this old mp3 of mine, you chose that? Seriously? Wow, what a perfect song for this perfect scenery!" I stated sarcastically while attempting to clap with my hands that were still locked in his embrace.

"Why not? This song is from that drama you used to watch and if I'm not mistaken, the finale was shot at this very spot."

"Yah, Kim Wonshik! Which part of the 'love song' did you not understand?" I slightly elbowed his stomach, to which he faked a flinch before tightening his embrace more.

"Listen...This might not be a love song... but right now, right here, these are the words that come to my mind, Mira-yah... So, let me speak my mind through these lines and I will sing you a proper love song... some other time. Arasseo?" I could technically hear the hesitance loud and clear in his voice but I didn't know why.

Although I wanted to turn around and demand further explanation so badly, I managed to suppress my selfishness right away. A while ago, he was not even saying a single word but now he is willing to sing. So, it is better to let things flow his way in order to not ruin this romantic trip of ours because come what may, I believe we can face it anyway. So, I simply nodded and leaned back on his firm chest while he resumed the melancholic melody in his mesmerizing voice.

"My mind has already forgotten you
My speech has already forgotten you
Occasionally drinking to a drunken stupor
But afraid that I will utter my love for you
Really fear that...

It seems all along I've always thought that love was bliss & happiness
Unable to beyond words
That love is heaven's render punishment
I just have to love you & my heart will shiver & tremble
This is just living by wiping off tears..."

I don't know what was making him edgy and emotional all of a sudden but I wasn't brave enough to ask him either. So, in the end, I just stood there, succumbing to the warmth and welling affection in his embrace the whole time even after the song ended. All I wished at the moment was to take away all the pain and regret he's been piling up in his poor heart while I was gone and I would do anything in exchange for that.

"Excuse me, Agassi? Mind if I have a minute?" It felt as though I was literally pulled out of the trance when I whipped in the direction of that unfamiliar voice, startling the person in the process.

"I'm sorry about that... How can I help you, halmoni?" I instantly recognized the older woman from that elderly couple I was stalking earlier. She gave me a hesitant smile that wrinkled the corner of her eyes as she stole a few glances at her husband before speaking.

"My husband and I were trying to take pictures but that old man isn't that good with a camera. I was wondering if you could help us a bit, Agassi." I accepted her request right away and proceeded with the task happily.

Although they were quarrelling about which pose was outdated and which was in trend the whole time, their pictures still came out a lot more adorable than I'd expected. Fortunately, the older couple was quite satisfied with my skills too. In gratitude to my small favour, the older woman offered to share some of the homemade snacks they brought along even after I politely declined a lot of times.

"I'm sorry about that, Agassi. That old lady never listens to anyone. Not even me." He whispered the last part after making sure that his wife was at a safe distance and I could only giggle at his cuteness.

"That's okay, haraboji. I'm really happy to be able to help. Is this your first time at Mukho?"

"No no. This is our third time actually. We first visited when we were dating, then with our firstborn and now. But you know what, Agassi? She's been debating that it is our fourth and not the third time since the day we planned this trip." He rolled his eyes dramatically while shaking his head in defeat and I laughed even louder.

"How about you? Why are you alone at such a romantic place on such a wonderful day, Agassi?" Too much concern was clearly present in his voice for a total stranger like me.

"It is my third time here too, haraboji. I was supposed to be accompanied by someone but he couldn't make it due to work." Right after I said it, the older man began to shake his head disapprovingly.

"What kind of a heartless man bails on his woman like that? Agassi, are you sure he is the one?" I began to laugh at his remark as I mentally pictured that said 'man's' reaction for this particular insult.

"I know right. He is a bit heartless, isn't he?" I joined the badmouthing spree as the older man agreed with my comments too.

"Indeed he is. You should definitely punish him for this." I chuckled as we sat down at the nearest bench. The mention of him reminded how much I missed him at the very moment and I started to feel bad for leaving him alone while he's busy with work.

"But then, he's working very hard actually... and I never had the heart to punish him at all. Ottokajo, haraboji?" I placed my palms on my chest and exclaimed dramatically, to which the elder man gasped in an equally dramatic manner.

"Ottokajo, Agassi? If you keep forgiving him like this, it will be very bad for your heart." I pursed my lips as if I'm thinking hard at his serious comment.

"I don't think so, haraboji... do you know why?" He adjusted his glasses and waited for my response expectantly.

"Because... my heart is already with him." Both of us broke into laughter while he cringed a little at my cheesy answer.

"Aigoo... kids nowadays are so cheesy! You sure have a way of speaking, Agassi and I guess that's how you get away with your man too. Am I right?" He pointed his index finger at me with his eyes narrowed. I could only laugh and nod in response because he was absolutely on point.

"He must be a very lucky man then. You are both pretty and sweet-mouthed as well. Unlike that old lady of mine."

"Is this old man badmouthing me, Agassi?" His earlier laid back stance tensed up once his fierce wife's voice interjected.

"Anieyo, halmoni. He was only telling me how this was your third time at Mukho." The older man mouthed a silent 'thank you' for saving him from his wife as I sent him a secret wink in response.

"How many times do I tell you? It is our fourth trip to Mukho, you old man. We visited three times before already. First, while we were dating. Then, after our wedding. Later once, after Minshik was born and finally now." She began to twist his ear rather violently as she argued her stand with more facts.

"After our wedding? When?" He yelped when she twisted harder and his wrinkled ears were turning red due to her surprisingly strong force already.

"Before we left for our honeymoon. You even tripped on the stairs and bruised your knees. Oh my God, your memory is getting worse as you age." Suddenly the older man jumped up from his seat, startling both his wife and I as he exclaimed.

"Hah! You're right. How did I forget that...? Maybe my memory is indeed dulling due to old age..." The hint of sadness was way too clear in his suddenly gloomy voice and it immediately affected his wife too.

"Ah... gwenchana-yo. It doesn't even matter actually. It is normal to forget a few memories over time anyway. As long as you remember my face and that I love you no matter what, then that's enough already. Agassi, here. Take these snacks." She diverted the topic in no time as her spouse's face lit up in bliss at her heartfelt words. The childlike grin on his face clearly proved that he was very much touched her sincerity.

"It is getting late. We need to be home in time for me to cook. Agassi, I'm sorry that we have to leave now. Our grandchildren are visiting tonight." She giggled like an excited teenager as her husband seemed visibly charmed by her involuntary habit. It was totally cute. I got up to bid farewell to the old couple when I finally noticed the notifications stacking up on my phone's screen.

"Drive safely, haraboji and thank you for the snacks, halmoni. I'll eat them well."

"Guerae guerae. You take care of yourself and that heartless man of yours too, Agassi." The older man tapped my shoulder affectionately and walked away with his wife who began asking about my heartless man. Right then, my customized ringtone blared, indicating a call from that very man. I guessed he finally had enough with the unanswered texts.

"Hello, heartless man." I giggled when he gasped exasperatedly on the other end.

"Mwo? Yah, Choi Mira! You are the heartless one. Why didn't you reply to my texts?"

"Mian. I was talking to someone and didn't notice your texts. Also, he's the one who said that you're heartless for not following me to Mukho by the way." I purposely emphasized that particular word and it earned me the exact response I'd expected.

"HE? Who is this HE? Yah, Choi Mira! Why do you talk to strangers?"

"Hey, he is a nice man, okay. I took pictures for him and I even got snacks as a token of gratitude."

"Seriously, Choi Mira. You know you should not accept food from strangers for God's sake and how do you even know that he's nice? You just met him!" He was definitely frustrated and I was enjoying it.

"Because he is a loving and filial husband who was bringing his wife on a date for the fourth time to Mukho and you won't believe how extremely adorable they were." I squealed in excitement like a fangirl when I recalled their cute interactions. There was a solid one minute silence on the other end before he spoke again.

"I think I was just pranked by you again..." He let out a soft chuckle and I could picture him shaking his head with that silly smile.

"Yeap." I popped the 'P' deliberately and he only laughed like a dream for that.

"Okay, fine. You scored again. Now, I'm sorry I couldn't follow you, Mira-yah. You know I really wanted to." He sounded very guilty and I didn't want him to feel that way at all.

"Hey... No problem at all, Won-ah. The chief priest only informed about the prayer date at the last minute and it'll be dumb of me to ask you to ditch your own concert anyway. So, just chill."

"Okay then... you will make it back in time, right?" Anticipation was overwhelming in his angelic voice.

"Of course, I will." I have to. As I promised in the past, I am not missing any of his shows at the cost of my life.

"Cool. Then... do look forward to tonight, okay? See you later, Sarang!"

"See you later..."

By the time I placed the device back in my pocket, I was smiling like an idiot and it took more effort to calm my racing heart at the intriguing expectations.

★★★

RAVI'S POV:

I was pacing back and forth like a wild stallion while my eyes were glued to the door for over an hour now. Plenty of pathetic scenarios were piling in my rather pessimistic head and I was miserably failing to ignore them.

"5 more minutes before your entrance, Ravi-ah. Gaja!" Shinwoo hyung announced eagerly while the rest of the crew cheered and wished luck for me but I couldn't move at all.

She was supposed to reach the venue at least half an hour ago and I haven't heard from her since our last phone call. What worsened my worry was the heavy sound of rain and thunder as she spoke earlier. Suddenly, I felt so stupid for letting her drive alone to Gangwon-do. I should have at least sent someone with her. Even Sanghyuk would have willingly followed her, only if I had asked. I ran my hands over my hair for the nth time and my stylist finally gave up fixing it. Right then, the door was flung open again but to my utter demise, it wasn't the girl I've been expecting.

"Wonshik-ah, why are you still here?" Binnie asked in confusion as I hurried towards him.

"Bin-ah? Thank God you're here. I've been trying to call Mira but the line is failing me. She was supposed to reach here half an hour ago..." I rushed out of the room and scanned the corridor to find nothing.

"She must be caught in traffic, Wonshik-ah. Plus, I heard about the heavy storm on the Gangwon-do route from the radio a while ago. Mira might be waiting for the climate to clear up. Don't worry too much and get on the stage now. Your parents and sister have already arrived." My best friend was clearly trying to prevent me from ditching my own concert and run out looking for her in the ravaging rain. The image was ominously familiar while the pain it brought along felt amplified by tenfold.

"They're here? Why didn't they stop by the backstage to meet me first?" I tried to divert my mind too. I really did, but I couldn't.

"They were late actually. So, Jaehwan hyung led them to the VIP box straightaway with Moonkyu and Jongin along. Wonshik-ah, it's almost your cue. Come on, man." He was technically dragging my body to the backstage position I was told to be on standby at least ten minutes ago. San-E hyung showed an enthusiastic thumbs up from the other side of the stage but I could only wave back weakly. I was supposed to make a fierce opening entry with 'BOMB' whereas all my dynamism felt already drained out.

"You can do this, Wonshik-ah. Mira will be here any minute now. You don't want her to walk in and watch you bail on your own concert, do you? Wait, what about the surprise? What if she doesn't reach by the cue for the surprise? Damn it! I'm making things worse, aren't I? I at pep talk! God, I wish Hakyeon hyung was here!" Hongbin facepalmed himself while exclaiming in frustration.

To be honest, I wished Hakyeon hyung was here too. Things would have been a lot easier with our leader hyung around. He would have helped me take care of the surprise preparations with Jyani hyung while I rehearsed for the show with ease. He would definitely have suggested or even precisely, assigned someone to accompany Mira and kept tabs on her in my place. He would always know the right things to say and do at even the worst of times and I missed him more today than I've been doing for the past whole year since he enlisted.

"Are you ready, Ravi-shi?" The stage manager tapped my shoulders softly. Even he seemed utterly worried. I guessed I appeared like an absolutely helpless pathetic mess right now.

Shaking away the fret and fear that gnawed my core, I pleaded a silent prayer and pulled myself together. Nothing will happen to my Mira. She's going to appear in time before the big surprise I've been planning for a long time now and she's going to love it. It is all going to turn out just right. I repeated those words like a chant as I exhaled a deep breath and took my position in the centre of my dance troupe for the opening formation. In a few seconds, the electric beat for 'BOMB' was dropped and I was striking onto the stage as the charismatic rapper Ravi instead of the weakling Kim Wonshik.

"Yeah Bomb and Bomb
Feel this energy
Bomb and Bomb
How is my explosive potential?"

By the time, San-E hyung appeared on the stage for his part, my system had already switched from Ravi to Wonshik on its own. Instead of dancing with the troupe like I rehearsed, my legs were aimlessly running across the vast stage while I struggled to find her familiar face among the sea of crowd. I stood rooted to the floor while my eyes were too focused on the VIP box above as I tried to scan past the tinted windows to detect her presence.

I was too focused to the point I even missed the beat to harmonize for 'Ching! Ching! Ching!' with San-E hyung and luckily, my Starlights were loud enough to sing both that line and the chorus I missed in my place as well. My mind was in complete disarray and I felt like my heart would burst any minute if I don't see her silhouette in that stadium right then. With my sanity still on loose, the first song ended and I didn't even realize when the next one came on.

"Wonshik-ah! Mwo-hae? Get yourself together, please." Taekwoon hyung's worried voice through the earpiece dragged me out of my terrified trance.

Tears were threatening to fall without my consent and I don't even know if I want to hold them back any longer. Forcefully, I bit my tongue and fought the sniffles back as I tried to regain my shattered stability. Almost half of 'DamnRa' was over when I finally scurried to my spot in the centre and attempted to make an impression with the bridge and the powerful chorus that followed right after. Fortunately, the crowd hailed louder than before when my voice began to resonate like a deep growl when I sang again.

Just like that, the first three songs were over before I could crawl back to the corner of my catastrophic mind. It was truly unbearable to have a happy ment section with my Starlights while all my heart and soul were shrinking an inch with every passing second in her absence. My members kept taking turns in pep talking through the earpiece the whole time, just to prevent me from sprinting off the stage in angry tears and surprisingly, that did help me a little.

The rest of the evening went by the same. My members trying to save me from myself while I was practically parading the stage like a dead man with a smile that never reached my eyes. Though the held back tears were stinging my eyes and occasionally blurred my vision, I somehow made it till the second break. Although I was supposed to have my first break after the first few songs, I chose to skip that in the fear of running right out of the arena once my feet left the stage and thankfully, my members and manager didn't oppose my decision either. They feared the same case, I guessed.

By the time I reached backstage, all my members with even Jiwon and Jongin were gathered in the waiting room. All of them appeared equally tensed and I couldn't help but imagine the worst from their faces. I wanted to scream and cry out loud at every single person in there when I left the stage a while ago. However, both words and my vocal cord failed me and I only walked past everyone in utter silence. I began to change my costume in the same sick silence while everyone was staring at me like I'd grown a pair of feelers on my head.

"Op... Oppa... gwenchana?" Jiwon's voice was rather strained when she carefully approached my side. It took me a few solid seconds before I nod

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter