Chapter 5 - Interrupted

Stop Comparing Us

Sitting on Eric’s bed while waiting for him to finish showering, you suddenly wonder what this Produce 101 he was mentioning the other day was really about. You type in “Lee Euiwoong Produce 101” in the YouTube app and click the first video you find.

 

              “Dude! Why are you watching this?!?!” Eric walks in on you and cringes. You’re laughing your head off. You had the video paused just as he was lifting up his shirt during a performance of BTS's "Boy in Luv". What kind of person were you staying with again? “Watch this instead!” He switches you to his second performance, a rap composition to a Show Me the Money beat. Wow, kid could spit out fire when he rapped. 

 

              “This is just as crazy,” you blurt out. “You referenced a Pokémon in your rap?! Well, that’s better than you showing off your abs in front of a gazillion fangirls, I guess.”

 

              “Kids! It’s almost dinnertime! You should help out!” your mom interrupts your moment.

 

 

              “Thank you for the meal, Mrs. Lee,” you say after that delicious homemade bibimbap. As you offer to carry a few of the dishes over to the sink, you slip, causing one of the nicer plates to fall and shatter on the kitchen floor.

 

              Your mom glares at you. Eric just looks worried. You apologize over and over to Mrs. Lee, hoping she’d forgive her clumsy guest, but find your eyes welling with tears. Why couldn’t you do anything right? You followed your mom’s directions to be more helpful like Eric, yes, but you just ended up making things even worse. Your mom was definitely going to kill you after this point. You could barely even look her in the eye. “Mom… I can explain…I’m sorry…” you stutter.

 

              But it does nothing to reduce her visible anger. “I just wish you were a less difficult daughter.”  You dart out of the kitchen into the bathroom, where you can cry in peace.