Chapter 2 - In the Car

Stop Comparing Us

“It’s just the two of you and your husband?” your mom asks Mrs. Lee as soon as all of you are settled in Mrs. Lee’s Hyundai.

 

              “Eric actually has two older siblings,” Mrs. Lee responds. “It’s just that they moved out for university, so you won’t really be seeing them.”

 

              All the while, you attempt to make conversation with Eric, who is sitting in the front seat. “So how old are you now, Eric?” you shyly inquire.

 

              “I’m 16 in international age!” Eric pipes.  

 

              “Hey, that makes me two years older than you then!”

 

              “So you’re in your last year of high school?”

 

              “I actually just graduated! Where I’m from, we start post-secondary earlier than you guys.”

 

              “Have you started working yet?” your mom adds in.

 

              “Actually, I’ve been working at my parents’ shop for nine years." Eric responds. "I recently became a trainee at Yuehua Entertainment, though. We just got a few weeks off from training, so I came home to see my family for a while.”

 

              “Wow, nine years! You’re such a hardworking boy. And you’re hoping to debut as an idol, yes?” Eric nods in response. “I’m sure you make your parents really proud.” Your mom then turns to you and whispers, “See, (Y/N), you have to be like Eric and start helping out earlier. You don’t really help out in the house at all.” You roll your eyes. It was such an Asian thing for parents to compare their kids to other kids. You hope Eric didn’t hear your mom’s comment, because you worry that he’ll look down on you for not being a more filial daughter.