Safety Zone

Don't Leave Me Hanging....!!! LMAO's One-Shots

 

Hoya is popular. That’s all Yumi knows. And although she had a small crush on him ever since her first day at the school as a transfer student when he brought her to the school infirmary quickly to retrieve a bandage for her, she knew she should stay away from him. If she hadn’t fallen down the staircase when she was reading through her schedule, she wouldn’t have developed the crush in the first place.

Don’t get her wrong; she had thanked him that day for his kind deed, but ever since she found out that he has a crazy fan club that follows his every move, she’s steered clear of him. Yumi likes boys, but she’s never liked a boy enough to pursue him at the risk of being murdered. But it really didn’t help that he embodied all the qualities that she found attractive in a boy. He was an excellent student, hard-working, and kind. And on top of that, he was a dancer and had a shy smile. At least she only had one class with him.

These couple months in, Hoya isn’t a problem to Yumi. But his fan club is extremely bothersome, even to others. They roam the hallways, chatting and updating on his life and like it was their job. She absolutely despises people looking into others’ privacy where they weren’t invited. Although she felt bad for Hoya, she was just glad that nothing of the sort would ever happen to her. At least, it wouldn’t as long as she didn’t associate herself with guys like him.

That wouldn’t have been a problem if she and Hoya weren’t assigned to seats that sat right beside each other. Yumi thought it was easy enough. Just don’t get caught in any situation that may look like you’re paying unnecessary attention to Hoya or flirting with him and she’d be safe. Hoya doesn’t ask his neighbors too many questions because it’s a literature class, so there isn’t much time for group work anyway. However, the teacher does choose to have each student in the class recite a poem for an assignment one day.

That seems to be the day that Yumi captures Hoya’s attention. She is called up by the teacher after several other students had already dryly recited their poems – some better than others – and she just draws in the class’s attention the minute she starts. Her aura demands everyone’s awe as she reaches the third line or so, her voice narrating magic into the air as she speaks of a glorious love that brings mountains together, it’s so powerful. Her entire performance screams majesty and passion, and how can anyone ignore such a performance?

She is given a loud round of applause as she bows and returns to her seat. Several students keep their eyes on her as she sits down, Hoya being one of them. She sinks in her seat, wanting to sink away into the floor and not return, because she can feel the menacing stares starting to blink at her as Hoya eyes her.

After school that day, Hoya follows Yumi out of the classroom, complimenting her on her performance during literature. “Thank you. You did well too.” She bows curtly before heading way towards the exit, away from him before she is spotted by any one of Hoya’s fan girls. She makes her escape quickly.

However, over the next couple of days, Hoya’s attention towards her doesn’t seem to waver. Yumi does everything she can to avoid being near him. When she sees him walk down a hallway she would normally walk down, she takes an alternate route. When she sees him getting something from the vending machine, she decides she isn’t thirsty anymore. When he tries to talk to her in class, she answers with short replies that don’t keep the conversation going. She knows that all of his fans are somewhere near. He has so many of them. She has to avoid danger at all costs. Although she feels bad for being so curt when Hoya is so nice, she has to maintain a safe reputation at the school.

When the teacher assigns another poem recitation by each student, he requires a summary analysis on the message implied in the piece they choose to read. Yumi once again blows the class away with her gorgeous recitation and analysis on a poem about fire, and the hidden emotions behind the wording. But something else happens this time. Hoya’s poem is more significant.

His own recitation is filled with deep hidden meanings and Yumi can just feeling the weeping and sadness in his performance as he speaks of dying willow tree. The actual poem isn’t exciting, but his analysis is what captures her attention, because he locks eyes with her when he says, “The willow is a symbol of grief or unrequited love. In this piece, the writer speaks of a gut-wrenching love that tears it apart until it’s left to die. Even when it does, the love will still be there, showing that the love he felt for someone who didn’t love him back, won’t completely die even if he does.”

The girls in the classroom give him a standing ovation when he steps away from the podium, still looking into Yumi’s eyes before heading back to his seat. He shares one last glance with before turning to listen to the next performer. And Yumi suddenly feels uneasy.

→←

“Did you not hear me calling for you?” Hoya stops Yumi by catching her shoulder and turning her around.

Truthfully, she had heard him. But of course, she had sworn not to associate herself with Hoya, so she pretended to be ignorant and deafened by the earphones in her ears. She reluctantly pulls one out and addresses him, “Sorry. Did you need something?”

“No. But I was wondering if you would like to go get some odeng with me right now. If you have time that is.” He smiles shyly. His smile is so kind and hard to resist. His expression is like that of a puppy’s.

It was the last day of school before spring vacation, so she couldn’t use the excuse of not having time. But she decides to hint it in another way, “No thank you. I don’t like odeng.” She lies.

“Oh, well we could eat something else?”

“I’m not very hungry.” She declines.

“Oh, alright then.” Hoya says glumly, finally getting the hint. He leaves with a saddened expression and Yumi hopes to god that none of Hoya’s fan girls saw that and assumed anything about her. At the end of the hallway, they are eyeing her suspiciously, but they do see Hoya walking the other way, so they decide to ignore it and follow him. Yumi lets out a sigh of relief. I’m sorry Hoya. Maybe when the time is right.

→←

Hoya doesn’t stop lightly pursuing Yumi throughout the rest of the year. She always gives him the same reactions, and he leaves slightly more disheartened. It gets harder to ignore him when he keeps calling for her attention. It also gets harder to avoid Hoya’s fan club, but graduation is just around the corner. Soon, Yumi would be in a nice university with mature grown up students who don’t obsess over boys the same way that these students do. She hoped they wouldn’t, at least.

Graduation finally comes and Yumi couldn’t be happier to throw her cap into the air. She spends her entire vacation congratulating herself with overseas trips and indulging on relaxation. When the time comes for her to fly over to her new university, she has the biggest smile on her face.

What a coincidence it is that she finds Hoya sitting at the same terminal gate. Since she had totally blown him off throughout her last year of high school, she figures she should make up for that. Yumi plops down on the seat next to Hoya and greets him, “Hi.”

A surprised look comes across his face and he sits up to greet her back. They chat for a few minutes, confirming that they would be going to the same location and attending the same university, but studying different majors. Yumi expresses her happiness that she’s finally reaching adulthood where she doesn’t have worry about what others will do to her when she makes decisions.

“What do you mean by that?” Hoya asks, trapping her.

Yumi sighs and decides that she should tell him why she was so cold to him before. But she would have to confirm something first, “Why did you always try to talk to me?”

Hoya looks down at the floor with his shy smile, “Wasn’t it obvious? I had a crush on you.”

“Why?” Yumi couldn’t help but be curious.

“I just liked the stage presence you had. I first realized it when you recited your poems for literature class. And then you delivered an amazing speech during graduation. You had me totally mesmerized. I knew that you would be destined for greatness if you pursued the stage.” Hoya smiles, “And look at you now. You’re going to an arts university.”

Yumi blushes a bit at his praise, sinking into her seat. “You know,” Hoya continues, “I just grew more and more infatuated with you as the year went on. I’d think about you whenever I studied for literature class. Whenever I watched a romantic movie or read a sad story, I’d think of you. I didn’t really want to think of sadness whenever I thought of you, so I started trying to get closer to you. But… I guess it didn’t work out.” He shrugs.

After another short silence, Yumi apologizes, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings if I ever did. I was just a small transfer in a large school of fish. You were extremely popular and even as a newbie, I could see that you had some really… protective admirers. So I didn’t want to put myself into a place where I shouldn’t have been. And honestly, I just wanted to survive high school. So I’m sorry. For letting peer pressure get to me.”

Hoya smiles amusedly as she explains, “So since they’re not here anymore, what are you going to do?”

“I don’t know. Do you… want to be friends?” Yumi offers.

“We’re in college now, Yumi.” Hoya reminds her, “I think it’s safe to take it a little farther than that.” He says boldly as he takes hold of her hand, “What do you say? Would you like to go on a date with me?”

Yumi hesitates, but she realizes that she doesn’t have anything to lose with a new start, “Okay.”

“Great.” Hoya smiles widely, “Now I don’t have to be the lonely willow tree anymore.” He jokes.