Do You Remember?

Woogyu Land of Oneshots❤

Tags: amnesia_au, kinda cliché but please give it a chance, slight!angst, kinda fluffy

Summary: Woohyun suffers from amnesia and Sunggyu is forced to forget what they were before That Day. 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The loud clap of thunder woke Sunggyu up from his daydream. He blinked a few times, then looked around him, as if to remember where he is as of the moment.

He saw the whiteness of the walls and the palpable smell that could only belong to the one place he now hated the most: the hospital.

He looked at the limp form lying on the hospital bed. If not for the constant beeping of the machines, he might have convinced himself that the man was only sleeping. He looked so peaceful, like a baby enjoying his nap time. But for this man, his nap time is long over due. He's been sleeping for a whole 2 months.

 

No scratch that. Woohyun has been in a coma for 2 months, 21 days, and.. he looked at his wristwatch, 6 hours and 25 minutes and 56 seconds...

 

57..58..59.60 seconds...26 minutes now.

 

He felt his eyes sting with unshed tears. 

 

No time to be weak, Gyu. You have to be strong for the both of you.

 

He heaved a big sigh and looked out at the window once again.

 

The weather outside the hospital room seems like a taunt to his current predicament.. or is it empathizing with him?

 

Thunders roll once in a while and lightnings flash here and there. The sky an ominous color, as if some warning for something bad to happen. An omen.

 

His train of thoughts is interrupted by the shrill sound of the machine in the room. He snapped his head in the direction of the bed and was frozen when he saw the erratic lines on the machine. His eyes caught some movement and he almost lost it when he saw Woohyun's pinky finger flinch ever so slightly.

 

He went to the corner of the room where the button was located. Sunggyu all but pressed it nonstop just so the doctors and nurses could come quick and tell him everything will be alright. That he wasn't just dreaming when he saw Woohyun moved his finger.


A few moments later, a group consisting a doctor and two or three nurses came rushing to the room.  Before Sunggyu could tell them what he saw, he was ushered by one of the nurses outside of the room.

 

He dejectedly went out and waited right outside the door. He looked over the glass part of the door and saw how they are fussing over Woohyun.

 

His heart is beating faster now.

Are you..are you coming back to me now? 

 

He felt tears cascade down his face as he watched Woohyun's entire left hand move by itself.

What a miracle


Before he almost forgets, he picked up his phone from his pocket and dialed the number of Woohyun's mom. She had just returned home a few hours ago and if not for Sunggyu's insistence, she would still be here watching over her precious son. He knows the elder might have just slept or maybe not at all but still, he knows that this news is a good news and will surely lighten the burden she is currently carrying.

 

The phone rang twice before he was met with a groggy, "Oh, Sunggyu.. everything alright?"


"Mrs. Nam. Woohyun..he" he choked, too happy and emotional to quickly finish his sentence. Which was a wrong move based on the panicked voice on the other line.

 

"What?? What is it? What happened to my Woohyun?" 

He heard the rustle in the background and Sunggyu assumed she hastily stood up from her bed. He exhaled loudly trying to maintain his calm before he spoke once again.


"I saw him move his finger and the doctor and nurses are checking up on him right now. I thought it was an illusion but just now, I saw him move his hand completely. Mrs. Nam, our Woohyun. Our Woohyun is back." He managed to end before he broke down into tears. The other line was silent until he heard the unmistakable sound of sobs.

 

"Oh my... Oh my god. Sunggyu...my baby. My baby has returned. I'm so... This is great. I'm.. I'm coming over there, okay? Please tell my baby I'm coming"

 

Then she hang up the call.


Sunggyu didn't mind. What's important is that Woohyun, his Woohyun, their Woohyun has already gained consciousness.


xxxx

 

Mrs. Nam arrived ten minutes later and by that time, Sunggyu was already let in by the doctor. He asked the doctor to wait for the patient's mother before he could explain what just happened.


"Doctor. What happened while I was gone? Is my baby alright?" Mrs. Nam anxiously asked the doctor.


"Well, Mrs. Nam. Seems like luck is on your side today. The machine detected brain activity that could only mean he's slowly coming back to consciousness. And seeing as he just moved his hand awhile ago, there's a great chance that he'll wake up sooner. We just have to wait for a few days or so. And if miracle decides to side on you again, he might be able to wake up by tomorrow." The doctor smiled at them. He patted Sunggyu's arm and bowed to Mrs. Nam before he left the room.

 

Mrs. Nam then rushed to Woohyun's side and affectionately ran her hands on the other's face. Sunggyu remained quiet as he saw fat tears fall down Mrs. Nam's cheeks. 


"My baby.. I can't wait to talk to you again. I can't wait to be able to cook with you again. I missed you so much. And I'm sure Sunggyu also feels the same. Come back now baby. We need you. We need you our sunshine."


At this, Sunggyu walked up to where she was and patted her gently on the back.

 

"Ya. You should really wake up now. What did I tell you about not making our mothers cry? Tsk bad mandu. Disrespect!"
He added as a joke, just to lighten the mood.

 

And lighten it did because he heard Mrs. Nam chuckle beside him.

 

"Oh dear, I'm so glad you're always here for him Sunggyu. Thank you." 

 

Sunggyu felt his facade crumble down as he remembered the main reason why Woohyun is in this state.

 

"No.. This is all my fault Mrs. Nam. If only... Sigh. This wouldn't have happened if it weren't for me and my stubbornness."


"Oh dear. Of course it's not your fault darling. How many times have I told you this isn't your fault. This squishy dumpling right here just wasn't paying much attention. So hush now dear, no one is blaming you. Understood?"

 

Sunggyu nodded like a child as he was enveloped by the elder's warm embrace.

 

At this moment, Sunggyu was just glad that he was blessed to have such kind people around him and Woohyun.

 

"Aaaah I can't wait to see him awake. Ya. Wake up already shorthead." Sungyeol said to the unconscious Woohyun.

 

"Yeol, can you just shut up? We've waited for two months for this. Surely, we could wait for a few days more." Myungsoo, Woohyun's bestfriend since childhood spat.

 

"Oh well I'm sorry Mr. Goody-Two-shoes if I'm not as patient as you!Hmp." The taller man then stomped his feet and crossed his arms over his chest, staring daggers at Myungsoo and pouting his lips.


"What did I ever see in you? You probably had me charmed that day, didn't you?! Ugh. I can't believe I fell in love with the likes of you." The younger murmured the last part but it was still loud enough for Sungyeol to hear, which made the latter burst out in laughter. 

 


"Kids! Could you please stop being loud? Jesus. I can't even sleep peacefully now?" The old man, aka Kim Sunggyu, grumbled as he rose up from the makeshift bed. 


Sungyeol stopped laughing and in a serious voice asked Sunggyu, "Hyung! Do you really want to rest in peace?"

 

Myungsoo, with his quick wit, caught up with his lover's joke while the newly awoken man just blinked at him before he practically shouted curses at him.

 

He was about to lunge at the tall man when they heard a low grunt. They all stopped mid-action. Like someone just pressed the pause button all of a sudden, with Sunggyu's right arm slightly raised about to punch Sungyeol, and the latter who was bending backward in hopes of avoiding the fist.

 

Myungsoo on the other hand remained seated. 

 

"What was that? Are you guys hungry or...?" He looked at the both of them before going straight to Woohyun's side. And sure enough, the low grunt that they heard really did come from Woohyun, who looks like he's about to wake up.

 

Sungyeol rushed into Myungsoo's side while Sunggyu was left standing, his limbs refusing to move. Afraid that it was just a dream.

 

A few short breaths later, and they saw how Woohyun's eyes flickered, the same way he does when he's about to wake up from his afternoon nap or a good night's sleep. They all held their breath as they watched the slow opening of the eyes. The said eyes blinked a few times, then looked around him until he found Myungsoo.


"Oh, hey there buddy." He managed to offer a weak smile, which triggered Myungsoo to come to his senses. He all but spat out profanities at the man who was now wincing not from pain but from his bestfriend's nag.


"Don't you dare buddy me, BUDDY! How dare you stay in coma for almost 3 freaking months!!! And you said I was the one who loves sleeping? Well, newsflash, the longest I've slept is one whole day unlike some jerks out there!"

 

Sungyeol laughed which made Woohyun copy the former's action. Sungyeol then excused himself saying he need to inform Mr. and Mrs. Nam and the rest of their friends about Woohyun's comeback.

 

Woohyun smiled apologetically to Myungsoo and muttered a sincere "I'm sorry."

Myungsoo slapped him on his arm before he proceeded to hug him. He then whispered to him, "You idiot! Don't ever do that again! Don't you dare sleep on us for so long ever again. I missed you, Woohyun hyung."

 

Despite everything, Woohyun chuckled and patted his bestfriend on the back. And that's when he noticed the other presence in the room. He looked at the elder who seemed stuck on the floor, and he smiled at him, beckoning him to come.

 

"Hyung, what are you doing there? Come here and gimme a hug too." 

 

For a person who just woke up from a coma, Woohyun sure had the energy to act cute. Sunggyu shook his head and started moving his head.

 

"Aish. This mandu, always giving me a headache." He tsked and went in for a hug when Myungsoo let go of Woohyun. 

 

"I missed you so damn much. I'm so sorry. It's all my fault. I'll treat you better from now on. Just... Just don't leave me again."


"Awww hyung... You're so sweet." He then let go of Sunggyu and smiled at him.

 

Myungsoo excused himself, saying the two have a lot of catching up to do. He was just about to grab the doorknob when he heard Woohyun cursed loudly.


"What the was that for?!!" 

 

He quickly snapped his head to the direction of the sound and stared in horror as his older brother tried to hide the pain of being yelled at.

Never, not even once, did Woohyun ever yelled at him. It was always the other way around. So seeing Woohyun all flustered made him puzzled. 

 

"Y-ya! Why are you cursing? And what do you even think I'm doing? Are you playing hard to get now?" Sunggyu half-joked, although a huge part of him was whispering all the negative things that might be the reason for the younger's outburst.

 


"Well for heaven's sake, you just k-kissed me hyung!! On the lips!!!" By now, Woohyun was visibly fuming.

 

"Woohyun, this is not the time to joke. It's not funny. Just stop it." 

 

"I'm not joking hyung. Why the hell did you kiss me? Are you... Do you like me hyung? Are you... Are you perhaps gay?" Woohyun's voice started to quiver as he tiptoed on a sensitive question.

 

Sunggyu was flabbergasted and so was Myungsoo. And count in Sungyeol who happened to come inside the room without any of them noticing.

 

"Hyun...baby. What are you on? Don't pretend like that.. don't ever act like that. It's hurting me. Is this.. is this my punishment for what I did to you? I'd accept any punishment but not this. Please Woohyun, don't forget US." Sunggyu's eyes are now welling up with tears, as he tried (and failed) to control his voice.

 

He expected the other to shout "Surprise!" Or "Just kidding Gyu! Sorry" or just to laugh out loud but none of the aforementioned happened.


"No. Stop it hyung." He then turned to Myungsoo.

 

"You said I was in a coma for almost 3 months. Did she ever come to visit?" 

 

"Who?"

 

 

"Sooyeon. Did she visit me even once?" 

 

"Oh.. No. Not even once."

 

"Oh I see. It's okay. I don't love her anymore, anyway."


And it's in the way Woohyun says the word 'her' that tells Sunggyu otherwise.He watched as his heart gets broken into pieces right in front of him.

 

What the hell is happening...


"Woohyu-"

 

"Hyung, look. I've known you since I've known Myungsoo. And I have like, great respect for you. So I could just pretend you didn't kiss me earlier and just go back to how we're supposed to be. Me as your brother's bestfriend and you as my favorite hyung." He smiled a tight-lipped smile.

 

"But Woohyun.. The truth is-" 

 

Myungsoo was cut off by Sunggyu humming and saying, "Okay. I'm sorry. I won't ever do it again, I promise." He then forced a smile towards the younger.

 

Myungsoo and Sungyeol was staring at Sunggyu with their mouths wide open, surprise evident in their visage.

 

He pretended to look at his wristwatch and then in a fake tone bid goodbye to the group, making up an excuse of getting breakfast. Even if it was already 3 in the afternoon.

 

Woohyun managed to say goodbye before the elder rushed out of the room. 

 

Myungsoo stared at Woohyun and excused himself, but not before whispering to Sungyeol to stay with Woohyun while they talk.

 

Myungsoo went out the door and was met with the sight of his older brother crouching on the floor. It looks like he's just trying to rein in his emotions. He nudged the other and then convinced hin that they have to talk to the doctor, if whatever they think is happening to Woohyun a fact or just one of the greasy tree's bluffs.

 

They both informed the doctor of what transpired earlier and they were told to wait. The doctor congratulated them first for Woohyun's "return", despite the fact that he may or may not have the thing they're all fearing of.

 

"We'll have to do some tests before we can confirm. But based on what you narrated earlier, he may be suffering from amnesia, but since he can remember everything else except for a certain timeline, then it might only be a temporary amnesia. Which means he only forgot the most recent events in his life and managed to retain the older timeline."


"Ok Doc. By the time the results are out, Woohyun's family might already be here. So you could discuss it just once to all of us Doc." Sunggyu said calmly, although those who knows him could notice the slight twitch of his eyes.

 

 

 

By the time Woohyun's family arrived at the hospital room, it turned into a crying feast. Everyone in the room was crying. After a small talk with his parents and friends, Woohyun said he's tired and he's just going to sleep a bit. A few minutes later and the doctor came in.

 


"Oh seems like everyone is here." The doctor chuckled. "The results of the tests we made Woohyun undergo is now out. I must say miracle is not completely on your side on this one. But what matters is that he has woken up, right?"

 

Mrs. Nam, who had no time for small talk asked the doctor to get straight to the point, to which the doctor gave out a small sigh.

 

"We noticed a---"

 

 

"Doc, if you may, please speak in English so that all of us can understand." Sungyeol interrupted.

 

"Ah I see." He then cleared his throat and proceeded.

 

"We noticed a minor scratch on the part of the brain where the more recent memories are stored. And also based on what his friends has told me earlier, I can conclude that Mr. Nam Woohyun is suffering from temporary amnesia. But fret not! As I've said, it's only temporary so he may be able to recover his lost memories gradually. Though not all patients with the same condition reacquired their memories."

 

The room was all silent. And all heads snapped to Woohyun's direction who was now sleeping peacefully, unaware of the whirlwind of emotions he has caused to all the people inside the room.
"But you said there's a chance that he'll recover, right?" Myungsoo voiced out the one question every one is eager to ask and hold on to.

 

"Yes as I've said awhile ago. But I must tell you, it's not guaranteed. There's about a 45% chance of him recovering."


"That's better than no-chance at all. Thank you, doc." Sunggyu nodded to the doctor, who in turn bowed to all of them and went out of the room.


"Well, at least he's up and awake, right?" Sunggyu chirped, trying to lift up the somber mood.

"But hyung, he can't remem--"

"For now. For now Myung. He can't remember me for now but I trust Woohyun. I trust him to remember me.. to remember us."

He gazed at Woohyun with sadness in his eyes.

Please baby. Remember me.

 

 


A few days later and Woohyun was allowed to go out of the hospital. He still has no memory of what happened right after the time his girlfriend broke up with him.

He tried to contact Sooyeon but to no avail. He always pestered his bestfriend to let him meet up with Sooyeon, to which the younger would always shrug him off with a firm, "Forget her hyung. You don't love her anymore. Trust me."

And Woohyun will always be left sulking. And since it was the summer vacation, he always frequents his bestfriend's house. 

 


It was one of those days where he visits Myungsoo's house when instead of seeing his bestfriend, he found Sunggyu in their living room. He stopped in his tracks as he saw Sunggyu looking out of the window, his face a portrait of immense sadness. In a closer look, a stray tear or two is flowing on his cheeks. He felt his chest constrict as he watched how somber Sunggyu looked.

 

He waited for a few seconds before he backed out a few steps and purposefully stumbled, effectively announcing his presence to the other.

 

"Myuuuuuung. You are blessed with my presence. Come out and bask in the light that I emit!" He shouted then laughed albeit awkwardly (for it was a fake laugh.)

 

He heard a quiet shuffle on the living room, must he Sunggyu trying to compose himself.

 

Sunggyu turned to the entryway and saw Woohyun walking straight to where he is.

 

"Oh hyung. Long time no see. How are you? And where is my dimwit bestfriend?" He then looked around the room.

 

"Oh Woohyun-ah. Myungsoo went out with Sungyeol. Seems like he forgot to tell you..."

 

"Ah I see. Tsk. Now that he has a boyfriend, he just shoves his bestfriend on the side. Ugh my heart hurts hyung!" He then faked being shot in the heart and stumbled on the couch where Sunggyu was sitting. 

 

Sunggyu just chuckled at the other's antics. Even if he lost a part of his memory, Woohyun is still the same Woohyun he knew and knows. He cleared his throat and then asked if he wants to eat something to which the younger nodded gleefully.

 

He then went to the kitchen and prepared their favorite snack, a strawberry milkshake and a piece of vanilla cake which they always have in stock because of their sweet tooth.

 

When he returned, he was greeted by Woohyun's biggest smile. Oh how he missed that smile directed to him.

 

"Hyung, you're an angel. It's my favorite!" He then dug in to the cake and sipped from the milkshake. He closed his eyes, savoring the taste and then looked directly at Sunggyu's eyes.


"I love you, hyung!" 

 

Sunggyu's heart started to beat faster at the words uttered by the younger. Only for it to break into pieces yet again when he noticed how Woohyun turned his attention back to his snacks.

 

Of course. How silly. It was just out of gratitude...

 

He watched as the younger devoured the food in front of him. Sunggyu quietly chuckled at the sight. He's really such a baby sometimes.

 

He sat beside Woohyun and just stared at the other. The younger felt the weight of his stare but pretended not to be intimidated. In a way, he loved the attention he was getting from his favorite hyung.

 

As far as he can remember, he have always looked up to Sunggyu. And if his memory serves him right, he respects and admires Sunggyu more than he does for his own older brother Boohyun. Kim Sunggyu was everything Woohyun wanted to be. Tall, smart and handsome. He even has a fair share of admirers from their school population, from male and female alike. He also has this aura that just speaks of how responsible he can be. Like he was born to lead. He also likes the fact that even if Sunggyu sometimes bickers with him, in the end, they'd still make up with the elder bribing him with foods for forgiveness, even if it was Woohyun's fault. In short, Woohyun likes how Sunggyu always prioritizes him. How Sunggyu would go soft when he acts cute just so that the elder can stop being angry.

 

He wondered how, even at the ripe age of 27, Sunggyu still isn't married, or at least in a relationship. He was about to ask the elder when he felt a thumb slide across the corner of his lips. He froze and wondered if Sunggyu could hear the sound of his heart beat like a thousand drums.

 

Sunggyu blinked a few times and muttered a sorry. He excused himself and told the younger he's going to get water for him. Woohyun then clutched his chest. Weird.

Ah I must be crazy.

 

He didn't wait for Sunggyu to come back and instead he just shouted at the elder who was in the kitchen.

 

"Hyung, I forgot. I have to meet with someone. I have to go now. I'm late. Thanks for the food hyung. Bye!" He practically ran out of the house, like a dine-and-dash kind of guy. 


When he was out of the door, he leaned his back and pressed his palm on his chest.

"What the hell is wrong with me? Tsk... Ah! I think I know how to stop this." He then smiled at himself and walked with a bounce on each step.

Meanwhile, Sunggyu just remained crouching on the kitchen table, his tears flowing out. He can't take it any longer. It just hurts too much.


He missed his Woohyun. He wants him back. But he won't be back while his memories of them together are still lost somewhere.

 

He remembered the conversation he had with his brother last night. Myungsoo found him crying on his bed, which by now the younger knew is what he's always been doing since the day they learned of Woohyun's amnesia.

"Hyung..." He patted his brother. Apart from the time when Mrs. Nam informed them of Woohyun's accident, this is the only time he saw his brother break down. 
Sunggyu is known to be a master at controlling his emotions. He never lets other see him cry or even take a glimpse of his weakness. So the fact that Sunggyu still hasn't stopped crying even when he knows Myungsoo is there speaks volume.
Myungsoo patted his brother's back until the other's crying subside and all that was left are sniffles and hiccups. He went out and brought a glass of water to his hyung. He waited until Sunggyu was calm enough to talk.

"Hyung why are you crying?" Stupid question. He knows why but what else can he say in this kind of situation? He was never one for confrontation. The man for this job should be Dongwoo hyung.


"Hyun..Woohyun is always asking me about Sooyeon. Remember how he said he doesn't love her anymore? What if he still does Myung? I..I can't love with that.What if the reason why he forgot about us is because it wasn't real? What if it was all just pretend? What if I was just a bandage for the wound Sooyeon left on his heart? Myungsoo, what if he never really loved me?" 
Sunggyu broke down in another set of tears and sobs. Myungsoo clenched his fist. If only he could just punch Woohyun to make him remember, then this wouldn't happen. His brother might not be crying his eyes out questioning the validity of their relationship before Woohyun lost his memories. Try as he may, he can't really blame his bestfriend because it wasn't Woohyun's fault that he's in this condition.

He watched as his brother bawled with his chest heaving, probably by the lack of intake of oxygen. Myungsoo hugged his brother and whispered calming words to him as he caressed his back.

"Hyung, we can always.. we can always tell him the truth. We can always remind him of your relationship. We can al-"

"No. We can't. Remember how he reacted when I kissed him back at the hospital? He was horrified Myung. As if the idea of being in an intimate relationship with me repels him. And also, the doctor said we can't force him to remember. It will only complicate the process of recovery. And it will only hurt Woohyun too."

Even at this moment of pain Sunggyu still thinks about Woohyun's welfare. He always puts Woohyun on the top priority, even above himself. Myungsoo watched as his brother wiped his tears with his palms and smiled at him.

"Thank you, Myung. I'm so lucky that I have you as a brother. Imagine if you were Sungyeol..." Then he let out a hollow laughter. 
Myungsoo just stared at him. He hates how his brother pretends to be okay. Like he wasn't there when he was bawling just a few minutes ago. Like he wasn't there to witness how broken he is.

"Hyung, trust me. He'll remember you in no time. He has to. Or else I'll burry him alive." He said to Sunggyu before getting out of the bed and heading out to his brother's bedroom door.

"Good night hyung. Have a sweet dream."

"I will. Thanks Myungsoo-ah. Good night."

 

He heard a shuffle on the door and for a moment thought that Woohyun is back, in all aspects. But he was disappointed when he saw that it was just his brother, fresh from his date with Sungyeol. The other was grinning from ear to ear but was replaced with a frown when saw Sunggyu's wrecked state.


"Hyung? I thought... I just saw Woohyun coming from the direction of our house.. and he was bouncing and I thought... He still hasn't remembered?"

 

"Eung. I thought I felt his heart beat faster when I wiped the cream off his lips. But I'm afraid Myung. I'm afraid it was only because he's surprised. And when I excused myself to the kitchen, he hurriedly left. I think he's afraid of me now Myung."

 

"Then.. then why was he bouncing? Did he happen to talk about Sooyeon when he came here?"

 

"No. Why?"

 

"Oh . He must be planning to go to Sooyeon's house. Now that I think of it, he was heading at the direction of the block where Sooyeon's house is located."

 

"Oh.." Sunggyu felt his heart constrict. What crime did he ever commit on his past life for him to be punished like this.

 

 

 


Woohyun was traipsing on the street. He has to do this. He's going to ask for another chance. He's going to make this work. And maybe, just maybe, what occurred earlier won't happen again.


He let out a sigh as he stood in front of the house. He pressed the doorbell and waited for someone to come out. He didn't wait long as an elder woman came out almost immediately.

"Oh, Woohyun-ssi. How are you? It's been a long time since we saw each other. Come come." Woohyun was not given the chance to reply as he was ushered inside their house.

He left his shoe on the shoe rack and walked a few steps before asking, "Is Sooyeon here?" Which made the elder stop on her tracks.

 

She turned to Woohyun slowly and with a grimace said, "Woohyun, what are you on? Why are you looking for her?"

 

"I.. I just wanted to talk to her, Auntie. I know she broke up with me but I want to ask for another chance. Is she here?" 

 

"Oh my poor darling. But my Sooyeon is not here anymore." Woohyun noticed the well of tears on Mrs. Shin's eyes.

"Where is she? Can you take me to where she is?" Woohyun doesn't know but he has a feeling of foreboding at Mrs. Shin's reply.

"Sure dear. I'll just... I'll just go get my keys."

He was now riding shotgun as Mrs. Shin maneuvered the car to where Sooyeon is. The atmosphere inside the car is tense. Woohyun opted to look out the window enjoying the view of the trees lining up on the street. He then turned to look at Mrs. Shin when he noticed the familiar view where she parked the car.

Woohyun was a bundle of nerves now. He looked at Mrs. Shin who is now telling him to get out of the car.


He looked up at the arc and read the sign, "Seoul Cemetery"

 

"Did she.. Is she here to visit her gramps? She always did love to come to her favorite granddad when we were together. Ah no wonder she's here. Ha ha "

Woohyun glanced at the elder for some assurance. That what he just said is the truth and not the words his brain whispered silently. They walked for a few minutes and there they found the Shin Family's mausoleum. Mrs. Shin opened the gate with the key and entered. 


"Sooyeonie, someone's here to visit you. Woohyun, Sooyeon's over here." She gestured at the other to come to where she is, at the corner of the area.

Woohyun reluctantly walked towards her and it took a lot of strength for him not to break down. In front of him is a plaque with Sooyeon's name written in a cursive and elegant gold. He watched as Mrs. Shin broke down into tears. In a way, he felt like he had known already. Like it was part of the memory he had forgotten.

 

Maybe it was his subconscious trying to forget about the pain he underwent at that time. Still, he felt tears streaming down his face. 

 

"Woohyun. She told me she broke up with you with some lame excuse. What..what did she tell you?"

 

"She said she fell out of love for me. She said she already found another man."

 

"Oh dear." Mrs. Shin cried harder.

 

"How did she.. how did she die, Mrs. Shin?"
Woohyun asked carefully, afraid he'll offend Mrs. Shin.


"Cancer. She was diagnosed with it when she was still younger but with all the chemotherapy she underwent, the cancer cells were wiped out. Or so we thought. For the rest of the years she was growing up, she was never put up in remission. But a few months before she broke up with you, I saw her vomiting blood. And.. and the frightened look on her face crushed my heart. And when we later found out that the cancer cells are back and are now stronger and deadlier, she cried. I thought she was afraid of dying but her reason for crying is not because of that."

 

Mrs. Shin wiped her tears before continuing. "She cried because she doesn't want to leave her family. She doesn't want to leave you. She wants to spend her life with you until she grows old but her illness is now going to take that dream away from her. She felt robbed."

 

Woohyun then remembered how Sooyeon drastically lost weight and how her hair seemed to thin. He had asked Sooyeon about it once but she only answered with, "Ah. I just used the wrong shampoo Oppa. It will grow back" and Woohyun just believed her. How stupid of him.

 

"Thank you Woohyun for making her feel loved on the last few months before it was taken away by cancer. Thank you for making my baby the happiest. And I'm sorry if she broke up with you that way. You know how selfless our Sooyeon can be right?" She then smiled proudly at her daughter's picture. Woohyun just nodded along. Sooyeon is the most selfless woman, apart from his mother. He stared at Sooyeon's smiling face om the picture and was surprised at Mrs. Shin's question.

 

 

"How are you and Sunggyu-ssi? Are you faring well? You guys look good together, though I didn't expect that to happen. But apparently our Sooyeon did. Here, " she rummaged through her bag until she found what she was looking for.

 

"I just found this when I cleaned her room last month. I'm so sorry it took me so long to deliver my daughter's message to you."

 

"Ah. Mrs. Shin, what do you mean by Sunggyu hyung and I look good together?" Worry was written all over Woohyun's face. He doesn't know how to interpret the elder's statement so he asked her straight to the point.

 

Mrs. Shin looked equally as shocked as him but then realization dawned on her.


"Ah! I'm sorry. I forgot you have temporary amnesia right now. I shouldn't have said that. Aigoo I'm so dumb sometimes." 


She rubbed her temples and then gave Woohyun the red envelope she was holding.

 

"Here. Woohyun-ah. I think everything will be clear after you read that, or at least that's what I hope. Come now, darl. Don't stress yourself over what I said awhile ago. You'll remember it gradually. And I hope you won't ever blame yourself for forgetting such precious memories" She smiled and then turned to Sooyeon's picture. She bid goodbye and turned to Woohyun, signaling the other to say bye to her daughter as well.

 

Woohyun cleared his throat and said, "Sooyeon-ah. I hope wherever you are, you are happy. I'm sorry if oppa was too oblivious to even notice your sudden weight loss. I'll try to be a  better person from now on. Be my guardian angel and guide me Sooyeon-ah. I missed you. But it's time to say goodbye now. I promise to visit you once in a while, so you won't be lonely. Ok?" 


Woohyun noticed how Mrs. Shin tried to hide the fact that she's crying yet again. He pretended not to see. His mother once told him that it's a noble act to comfort someone who's crying. But if that someone is trying to hide their tears, then it is also noble to pretend you didn't see them crying.


When Mrs. Shin is all composed, she lead Woohyun out of the place and into the car. She dropped him off in front of their house but not before hugging him tight.

 

"Thank you, Woohyun. Really, thank you. I hope you'll be happy and healthy always. Don't mind what other people might throw at you. The people who love you will always believe in you. Don't be afraid to be yourself. Promise me that."

 

Even though Woohyun doesn't know why Mrs. Shin was talking like that, he just nodded and promised to her. Which he thinks is a good decision since he saw how Mrs. Shin smiled so warmly at him. They bid each other goodbye and then he went inside his house. 


His mother and father are busy at their restaurant while his brother is probably out on a date with Jihyo noona. So basically, he's alone. He went straight to his bedroom and plopped down his bed. He clutched the envelope tight and hesitated on opening it for real.


His mind is a mess right now. What the hell is between Sunggyu hyung and him? First there was that kiss his hyung gave him. Then Mrs. Shin asking how they are and even saying they look good together. And now, and now, he's clutching a letter which may or may not help him recover his lost memory.

 

Does he really want to recover his memory? Is it really important? What if it wasn't? What if it's just of him doing his daily routine? 

 

Woohyun rolled on his bed and cursed out loud. He kept doing the same for almost an hour with some time in between to just gaze up the ceiling. He then sat up and looked at the now crumpled envelope. 
He sighed. He should read this. Sooyeon wanted him to read this. He should read this. He must.

 

He released a big sigh before tearing the envelope open. He unfolded the letter and tears immediately well up his eyes when he read the first few lines. Sooyeon sounded so happy and sorrowful at the same time. She enumerated the things she loved about him and also the things that he did that made her feel very special and appreciated. Then came the part that rendered Woohyun shocked.

 

"..oppa. I know I'm not the only one. I'm not saying that you're cheating on me. He was there first and I was only second in your heart. I don't know if you're aware of it but to the people around you, it is really obvious how much love you have for Sunggyu oppa. I can see it whenever you talk about him. Your voice may be calm but your eyes will always betray you oppa. Your eyes are way too honest and it hurts me. It's painful. It's painful to watch the one you love love someone else. And no, I'm not saying that I didn't feel your love. I did! I really did, oppa. But in a way, your love for me was inferior compared to your love for Sunggyu oppa. He'll always be the first. He'll always be my toughest competition.

And you know what cemented my suspicion? Remember when we went to your bedroom and you said you'd show me something but then your mom ended up calling you to help in the restaurant for a while? You asked me if I could wait in your room, that you'll be back in no time, so I said yes I'll wait. But then I was bored and I apologize, but I went through your stuff. I found your diary and read some entries, and not one of them isn't filled with Sunggyu oppa's name. I realized then that you really loved him and you're just so afraid to accept that fact thinking how you'd become an outcast in society. Because you think you aren't gay. Well I'm telling you oppa, there's nothing wrong with being gay. You're still a human being but with a preference not within the society's set up norms. I am going to make another confession. I.. I actually hid your diary. I hid it under the closet. I am so sorry oppa. I hope you'll understand that I acted on my feelings and was really immature back then."

Woohyun remembered how he lost his journal and tried to search for it everywhere, except under the closet. He stopped writing when he lost his journal.

"Anyway, since I've confessed everything to you, it's time to say goodbye. Thank you for making me the happiest woman to ever walk on this planet for the three years that we are together. I hope you find your happiness and I mean you have to be with Sunggyu oppa. I hope you realize your feelings before it's too late. I really am sorry oppa for leaving you like this. Know that you will always be in my heart and I'll carry all our beautiful memories on the other side.
I love you, Nam Woohyun. I love you..goodbye.


P.S. You should confess to Sunggyu, if you haven't already! You've got a big chance. Trust me! I see how he looks at you too! It's not a one-sided love, okay?! Confess now, go go go~
P.P.S. I'm gonna miss you. I love you so so so so much."


Despite the tears flowing freely on his cheeks, he can't help but chuckle at the postscripts written on the letter. He could still imagine Sooyeon using her cute voice. He wiped his tears away and headed towards the closet. He ducked down and sure enough, there was an outline of a notebook right underneath. He reached for it and coughed at the amount of dust it has accumulated.


He browsed through his journal entries and almost everything is about Sunggyu. How one day he saw Sunggyu with girls around him and he was angry because he doesn't want other people to grab his hyung's attention. And then there was that time when he felt his heart beat faster and he was so flustered when he stumbled upon a newly-showered Sunggyu with only a towel as a cover. That was the day he decided to get a girlfriend. There were a lot of similar entries that just praises Sunggyu or disses Sunggyu. Everything is just about Sunggyu.

 

He slammed the journal shut as he tried to process the new information. He felt his head hurt when he tried to remember. He cursed as his skull felt like it's cracking open. He banged his head on the desk and was now crying. He wanted his memory back. He wants to convince himself that Sooyeon and everyone is just playing with him. That this is all just a joke. That this isn't real. That this is all just a trick or something.

 

He heard the door open and a hand stopped his head from continuously banging into the desk. He looked up, his face now tear-stained. 

 

"Hyung..I.."


Then everything went black.

 

 


Sunggyu is now pacing the hospital room. He really hated the hospital now. Not a good news could ever come when someone yells at you to go to the hospital. He stopped walking around and stared at Woohyun. He was busy moping around when Boohyun called him and told him that Woohyun is in the hospital.

 

"What did you do this time? Idiot." He went beside Woohyun. He resisted the urge to smack the other awake and shout profanities at him. "Idiot. Idiot. Idiot." 

 

Sunggyu was busy punching the bed that he wasn't aware that the patient woke up. Woohyun watched as his hyung punched the bed, his face lined with tears streaming down his chubby cheeks.

 

"Hyung.."


Sunggyu stopped mid-punch. He slowly turned to Woohyun.

 

"Wo-Woohyun-ah..." He sniffed liked a kid 


"Hyung. I'm sorry. I.. I'm really really sorry."


"Do you... Do you remember now?"
Sunggyu didn't wait for his reply as he felt more tears prick his eyes and he hugged the other.

 

"Ssh. It's okay. I understand baby. It isn't your fault you forgot about us. Ssh." He patted Woohyun on the back but then felt the other slowly pushing him away. He looked at him questioningly.

 

"About that hyung... I'm sorry but I still can't remember anything."

 

Sunggyu's face fell . "Oh.. I.. I'm sorry. I assumed. I'm ssorry. I thought.."

 

"It's okay hyung. I just.. i want to tell you something."

 

"What is it Woohyunah?" Came the weak reply of the other.

 

"Mrs. Shin gave me Sooyeon's letter."

 

Sunggyu just looked at him, prompting him to continue. 

 

"Why didn't you tell me she was already dead hyung? Why did you keep it from me?"

 

"I.. the doctor said not to say anything that might cause you stress or trigger your brain. He said you have to remember everything by yourself and that the memories shouldn't be forced out of the place where it's hidden. Or else, you'll experience skull-splitting headaches, which i presumed is the reason why you're here right now. What were you trying to remember, Woohyuna?"

 

The other was silent for a moment.


"Sooyeon said in her letter that I was in love with you. And then earlier, Mrs. Shin asked how we were. Also, there was that kiss.. I wanted to remember us hyung. I wanted to know if it isn't just some sick joke. I wanted to know the truth." Woohyun's voice was so quiet that Sunggyu strained to hear the words properly.

 

"Woohyun... Woohyun, please don't stress yourself. No one is rushing you to remember. We will wait for you patiently. I will wait for you, no matter how long it takes." Sunggyu caressed Woohyun's cheek, and he was thankful that the other did not push him away this time.

 

"Hyung.. Hyung I wanted to try. I wanted to try doing the things we did before I lost my memory. Tell me how we got together hyung. And maybe I'll be able to remember. Please hyung."

 

"Are you really sure about this? What if you just end up hurting yourself again?"

 

"There's nothing to lose hyung. We're already in a hospital anyway hehe"

 

"Tsk. You still joke around even in your current situation. But really, there was nothing special with how we got together. In Myungsoo's word,'it was expected that you'll end up together'. So apparently, everyone but us noticed the chemistry between us. And when we did, it was one of the best. We just turned out to confess to each other at the same time." 


Sunggyu chuckled as he remembered that day. They were both flustered and were telling the other to go first, they were doing it for quite some time that the impatient Sunggyu decided they should just say whatever they wanted to say at the same time. And it turned out they just said the same thing.

 

"What did we say hyung?"

 

"It's "Ilikeyoupleasegooutwithme!" And we said it so fast that we were at a loss when we realized we said the same thing. And the rest was history. We were really happy for the whole year we've been together."


Woohyun nodded along and winced once in awhile when he tries but fails to remember.

 

"Then.. do you know how I got into an accident hyung?"

At this, Sunggyu sighed and looked at him straight in the eyes. 


"It was my fault. We were arguing over something really trivial. But I had a bad day at work and you were really pissing me off so I.. I told you to get out of my house. You begged for me to be rational and argued that it was raining cats and dogs outside and that it's too dark and totally not safe for you to drive. I should've listened to you. I should've been rational. Then you won't even be in an accident in the first place."


Sunggyu was sobbing, but he wiped his tears as fast as he could. Woohyun on the other hand just stared at his hyung. He stared at him for a few moments before he said

 

 

"Hyung. I want to try again."

 

"Try what?" Sunggyu was confused.

 

"Us. I want to try again.."

 

Sunggyu was drowned with the feeling of happiness and relief. He smiled at the other as he held his hand.


"Okay. Okay, let's try again." 

 

 


Weeks passed with them actually trying. And Sunggyu saw how Woohyun really wanted to remember, how he was trying hard. Every morning, without fail, Woohyun will always send him a good morning text message. And when it was time for work, Woohyun will always be outside his door, waiting for him inside his car. There are also times when he receive random gifts in his workplace. They were really happy, though not as much as before Woohyun lost his memories.

 


One day, Woohyun called him and he giddily answered. But he was met with the other's grave voice.

 

"Hyung.. I can't do this anymore."


Sunggyu remained silent as he tried to swallow the swirl of emotions threatening to cause havoc in him.

 

"W-why. I thought everything is going fine.."

 

"That's what I thought too hyung... Can we talk face to face hyung? Please.."

 

"Okay. Let's meet at that cafe shop near your house. I'll be there at ten." 


He then hang up the call. He's afraid. No, he's horrified. How can his happiness be short-lived. Just when he thought that they'd be back to how they used to be. And then now..
He sighed.

 

Nothing lasts forever.

 

He then grabbed his keys and drove to the café. It's better to be early, so that whatever jt is can end early too.. and then he'd have all the time to mope over the love he had lost twice in a row.

 


He arrived five minutes earlier and went to the corner table, right beside the window. He sat down and faced the window. He watched as people pass by. He kept himself busy with that that he wasn't able to notice Woohyun sliding on the chair opposite his.

 

"Hyung..."


He snapped his attention to the man in front of him.

 

"Oh Woohyun-ah.. Hello."

He has nothing else to say. Well, aside from the fact that he just wanted Woohyun to reverse his decision, then he really has nothing else to say.

 

"Hi. Hyung.. I.. I want to discontinue this pretend relationship."Straight to the point, Woohyun's face was so serious and Sunggyu was forced to copy the same expression, to act nonchalant.

 

"I see. You still haven't recovered your memories?" He stated matter-of-factly. 

The other nodded.

 

"So this is a goodbye then?" He nodded when the other didn't respond. He then stood up and was about to walk away when Woohyun caught his arm.

 

"Wait hyung. I still have more to say."

 

"Woohyun, please! You said you want to end this, then let's just do it."

 

"Do you want to end it too, hyung?"

 

"Well, if the decision rests solely on me, then I don't. If I could just be selfish then I won't let you end this! But this is your decision. And if this no longer makes you happy, I'd be willing to let you go." Sunggyu was now shaking from  all the control that he's doing. They're still in public after all, so as much as he wanted to shout at the top of his lungs he can't. He just can't.

 

He then felt arms wrapped around him. Then a whisper, "I'm sorry hyung. But I won't ever let you go."

 

Sunggyu pushed the other away. Woohyun just pouted at him.

 

"What the hell are you trying to pull this time, Nam woohyun?!" 

 

The other scratched his head. 

 

"Well hyung to be honest..."

 

"Wait! Did you perhaps recover your memories now? Do you remember now?" Sunggyu's face lightened up with hope.

 

"To be honest hyung, I still can't remember. But!" He raised his voice when he noticed how the other's face darkened once again. He sighed and then held Sunggyu on the arms.

 

"Hyung, no matter how I try, I really can't remember. But does that really matter? I liked how you make me happy. I like how you spoil me with your attention. I like how you nag at me sometimes. I like how you look at me with such tenderness that I feel so special. I love how you make my heart beat fast with just one simple glance or a touch on my cheek. I love everything about you hyung."

 

He paused, and looked at Sunggyu with a huge smile plastered on his face.

 

"So what if I end up not remembering the year that we've been together? So what if I can't recover my lost memories? We could always make new ones hyung! And that's what really matters. So Kim Sunggyu, will you let the most handsome man named Nam Woohyun have another chance at being your boyfriend once again and to create new and even better memories with you?" 

 

Sunggyu was speechless. His tears kept falling and he doesn't even care. He wants to bask in the happiness that the man in front of him right now is giving him. He punched the other's arm and blushed harder when Woohyun gave him a rose.

 

Of course. Woohyun is right. The past is the past. And they can always create new ones today and for the future years.

 

He smiled and said, "Yes. I'm giving you a chance my greasy cheeseball mandu."

He then hugged the other and heard the people inside the cafe clapping and congratulating them. Apparently, their whole conversation was loud enough for the whole people to hear. Sunggyu just smiled.

 

"I love you, hyung."


He just nodded to which the younger whined. He chuckled and then whispered at Woohyun's ears, "I love you too, Nam Woohyun."

 

Who cares about PDA. He just got his Woohyun back. Nothing is more important than that. Strike that.

 

Nothing matters other than that.

​​​​

 

 

 

 

 

This is the longest fic I've written so far (apart from Playing god). I started it yesterday and just managed to finish it now. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this story. ❤