Mirror, Mirror

Woogyu Land of Oneshots❤

Tags: non!idol_au, slight!angst, FLUFF

Plot: Nam Woohyun is an antique collector. And one day, he stumbled upon an antique vanity mirror which has Kim Sunggyu's soul trapped within it.

————–———x

 

Nam Woohyun is a man who has a knack for all things vintage. In his house, he has lots of collection ranging from vintage car spare parts to antique furnitures.

 

And in this summer morning, instead of spending his rest day from work dating or any other activities men his age do, he is casually strolling the street where quite a few  antique shops line up.

 

Together with his best friend, Lee Sungyeol, who he managed to convince to go with him to help him in choosing which treasure (for him) to buy, they went from shop to shop to look for an addition to his collection.

 

3 shops later, Sungyeol let out a huff and side-eyed Woohyun, who isn't looking the least bit bothered or annoyed. In contrast, he seemed relaxed. As if it was really normal to spend hours browsing through 3 different shops and not finding that one thing he'd want to buy.

 

"Ya! I'm tired. Let's eat already. I'm famished."

Sungyeol whined at his best friend, who only cast a glance at him and shrugged, "Just a few more minutes."

 

"Few more minutes...right. That's what you said three hours ago too when we entered the first shop." The younger of the two crossed his arms over his chest and pouted, though he knows it will be futile. Woohyun will only hear him out once he completes his mission today, that is finding an addition to his collection. So, he just walked and stopped at the seemingly new antique store (huh, how ironic) and followed Woohyun who went in immediately.

Compared to the previous shops they have entered, Sungyeol felt something different in the atmosphere in this new shop which as he saw before he entered is named Soo's Crazy Antics. He remembered shaking his head at the stupid shop name and wondered how drunk the owner was when he decided it.

 

He looked around and saw a lot of beautiful antiques, which if he likes them, he would've bought them all. He wondered how Woohyun decides to buy only one when there's really a lot of eye-catchers in here.

 

He looked for Woohyun and found him in front of a huge vanity mirror, seemingly dazed and starstruck while staring at his own reflection. He stepped closer to him and noticed how his heart is practically jumping out of his eyes. He turned to the mirror again, and was awed at the beauty of the said mirror.

 

The edges are made of ornate brass frame with elegant swirls on the edges, it's base forming that of a duck's feet, webbed but artfully done with little lines marking the base. Despite its age, the mirror looked new, though the chilly air Sungyeol gets from it says otherwise. He's totally not into antiques, considering the fact that a lot of horror movies he has watched have antiques featured.

 

He ignored the goosebumps he got from standing close to the mirror and flicked his fingers in front of Woohyun's face. That seemed to smack the elder out of his daze. He stared at Sungyeol as if only remembering they entered the shop together and then scampered off to the counter/front desk.

 

"Uh, excuse me. I would like to buy that mirror over there, " Woohyun said and pointed at the direction of the said mirror. "I'm willing to buy it at whatever cost."

 

Sungyeol smacked Woohyun's head at that and then pinched his ear, effectively pulling him closer.

"Hyung," he whisper-shouted at his best friend, calling him hyung once again after so long.

"You shouldn't say that. That guy might scam you for a large sum of money if you continue to act that way." He then eyed the man in the cash register, wearing all black clothes from head to toe. Weird.

 

He then approached the other man and said, "Please disregard what this fool said earlier. How much for that mirror over there?" He pointed again at the mirror's location.

 

The guy only stared at him blankly and then dismissed him when he turned his attention to Woohyun who is now lingering behind him.

"Do you really want to buy it? Are you sure?"

Woohyun nodded eagerly, determined to take the mirror home. 

"We are strictly implementing the 'No return policy', so if something is to happen concerning that piece of furniture, then I am not liable to pay you back or even take that mirror back. It's your choice so you must be 101% sure with your decision."

 

"I'm sure. 200%." Woohyun replied seriously.

 

"Then I guess that's it then. It costs 80,000 dollars. Are you still up for it?"

 

Woohyun got his wallet out of his back pocket and rummaged through his bills. Then he lifted his head towards the cashier and said sheepishly,  "Do you accept cards?"

 

----------------------

In the end, Woohyun looked like a happy puppy when he managed to bring the antique mirror home. After purchasing the said item, he treated Sungyeol to an all-you-can eat buffet.

With this, Sungyeol wouldn't mind hanging out with his best friend if an approximate 4 hours of searching will end with a sumptuous buffet. 

After eating, they bid each other goodbye and went their separate ways. Woohyun thanked him for accompanying him and even apologizing for taking a lot of time in choosing. Sungyeol shrugged it off and jokingly said that if he'd feed him enough, he'd accompany him no matter when and where it may be.

 

When he reached his home, Woohyun felt so giddy as he thought of a rightful place to put his mirror into. He scanned the living room and imagined putting the mirror adjacent to the television area. He shook his head and then looked at the kitchen, No, definitely not here. Not in the bathroom or the storage room.

That left him with only one option, his bedroom.

He half-walked half-ran towards his bedroom and looked around. He spotted his bedside table innocently standing beside his bed. He moved it farther away from his bed and put it on the adjacent wall, so when he shifts right on his bed, the mirror would be the first sight to greet him.

 

He thought it was a great idea so he proceeded to put the precious mirror on the bedside table. He rummaged his storage room for a clean washcloth and wiped the ornate edges of mirror. He stared at his reflection and he felt it again. His heart skipped a beat and then raced so hard he felt like he ran a marathon,  much like what he felt when he saw the vanity mirror for the first time.

 

It was love at first sight. He felt a tug on his chest while still looking at the mirror, as if an invisible force is pulling him towards it like a magnet. Though there was something that happened awhile ago in the shop that made him freeze in his spot.

 

One moment, he was staring at his reflection amd the next, he was staring at another beautiful face, not his own, much to his horror. The said face has a small eyes, slightly chubby cheeks and pink supple lips he'd want to kiss anytime. He would rule it out as his imagination, thanking all the horror movies he watched with yeol for such vivid imagery, if only the beautiful face did not grow a neck and a body. And he smiled at him! 

 

Woohyun stared at the man in the mirror (mj ^^), shocked at himself for not screaming out of horror. In contrary, he was starstruck. Like he was with the mirror earlier. He looked at the man's eyes which are now turned into slits, his teeth so pearly white he could be a model for a tooth paste brand. He shook his head mentally, Am I dreaming?

 

He continued staring at the reflection until he heard someone flick their fingers in front of his face. He was out of his daze in a matter of seconds and when he looked at the mirror once again, there was no face that appeared. 

 

If Woohyun was a normal person, he would've been totally creeped out and run for his life, slam the door to the shop and never come back. But curiosity got the better of him so he scampered towards the cashier and managed to buy the said mirror.

 

And now here he was, lying in bed and facing the said mirror, half hoping the gorgeous face would appear again and the other half praying it was just a part of his silly imagination. He stared at the mirror for another half an hour and gave up when nothing appeared. 

 

"Silly me. Either way, the mirror was totally worth it, with or without the pretty face." He laughed at himself and drifted off to sleep.

 

Unknown to him, a pair of small eyes is watching his sleeping frame.

 

-------------

Few days have passed when he purchased the mirror and never, not even once, did he get to see the face appear again. He shrugged it off and put it in the back of his mind, thinking it was just a silly thought, his mind just playing games with his tired mind.

 

However, when his rest day came and thus signaling another adventure to antique shops, something eerie happened. Actually, somethings.

 

First, when he woke up, he was staring at the mirror with the man, that gorgeous face, staring right back at him.

 

Second, the man in the mirror smiled at him. He sat up in his bed, rubbing his eyes profusely.

 

Third and last, the man SPOKE!!!

It was a simple "Good morning" but it might as well be the same as "Your time is up" like he usually hears the killer in the movies say.

 

He stood up and sat back down again when he felt dizzy. He closed his eyes and massaged his temples a bit, willing his mind to wake up from this dream.

 

But then he heard the man spoke again, now in a much smoother voice than before.

 

"I apologize if I may have startled you. But you were so eager to see me the last few days but now that here I am, actually appearing in front of you, you seemed..scared?"

 

He looked at the mirror, puzzled at the look of, is that sadness?, on the man's visage. 

 

"Wait. So you're true?"

 

"True as can be. As true as your love for old things..and me."

 

"What the hell are you talking about?"

 

"I meant me as in mirror, idiot. I'm not an assuming man who thinks someone will actually fall in love with me at first sight."

 

Despite himself, Woohyun found himself laughing at the pouting face of the man in the mirror.

 

"Ok, so you're true. But why are you there? Are you a ghost or something?"

 

"I don't know what I am. And as to why I'm stuck in  this godforsaken mirror, it's a long story and I'd greatly appreciate it if you won't ask about it again. It's frustrating."

 

He watched as the man crossed his arms over his chest and huffed lightly, his cheeks bulging. Woohyun found it endearing, sue him.

 

"So..uhm this is a bit weird, i understand. But since you said you're real and is probably not a ghost, may i know your name then? I'm Woohyun by the way. Nam Woohyun."

Woohyun walked up to where the mirror is and sat at the chair in front of it. 

 

Sunggyu smiled and then said in a soft voice, "I'm Sunggyu. Kim Sunggyu. Nice to be of acquaintance with you, Nam Woohyun-ssi."

 

"Drop the formality please, I'm not that old. Just call me Woohyun."

 

"Okay Woohyun. And please let's not talk about age, it's a sensitive topic for me."

 

"How long have you been stuck in there Sunggyu?"

Woohyun watched as Sunggyu's features morphed into a thinking pose. 

 

"Err i really can't remember."

 

"Who was the president that you last remembered?"

 

"Park Chung-hee. I think it was his last year of service before I became like this." 

 

Woohyun then scanned his brain for his history lessons and jumped out of his seat when he remembered the name.

 

"DAMN. So you've been here for like..." He counted in his head, "38 years already?!!!"

 

"Oh, wow. Way to cheer me up, buddy."

He gawked at Sunggyu and watched as his face became pensive. 

 

"Sorry. Errrm, is there anything I can help you with? I mean, is there even a way to get you out of that..that place?" He said, carefully choosing his words to avoid pissing off the (obviously) older male.

 

The other only huffed in frustration, and then sighed deeply.

 

"Yes, there's a way. But I'm forbidden to tell you or else, I'd die or even be stuck here forever."

 

"Oh i see. Then, I'll keep you company as long as you want, hyung."

 

At that, the elder smiled and talked to Woohyun, engaging in a conversation in a friendly manner. 

In the end, Woohyun never went out on an Antique shop adventure that day, or for the rest of his rest days to come.

 

-----------------

It was already eight months from the first time Woohyun had a conversation with Sunggyu. And day by day, he felt more at ease with the elder, as if he was just a regular friend and not someone who's stuck in a mirror.

 

His colleagues at work noticed how he's practically glowing. And of course, it didn't get past his best friend's hawk eyes.

 

"Ya, Nam Woohyun! Are you perhaps dating someone?"

He asked his friend when he managed to corner him at the pantry.

 

He saw him flush at the sudden attack and stuttered out.

"W.what are you on about?? Are you crazy?!!" He half shouted at Sungyeol, though his ears are now all red. 

 

"Eeeey. Why are you hiding it from me? Afraid my good looks might steal her away from you? Tsk tsk. Confidence hyung. You got to believe in yourself. Now who's the unlucky girl?"

 

Woohyun jabbed the younger on the side and muttered a string of expletives reserved only for his annoying brat of a best friend.

 

The truth of the matter is, as stupid as it sounds, he seemed to like Sunggyu. Not because of his gorgeous face, though it's definitely a bonus. He was drawn in by the depth of the older male. Sunggyu seemed to be someone who is a wise old man trapped inside a young man's body, which technically he is.

 

He would spout out advices to him and even nag at him when he gets all lazy. He was like his mom. But despite that, Sunggyu would also remind him to eat his dinner when he's too busy with work to even notice the time.

 

He liked how caring Sunggyu has become. And aside from that, there's this part of Sunggyu that he personally loves. Sunggyu just drips of sarcasm and stubborness. And call him stupid, idiot or whatever, but he has learned to love all those traits of Sunggyu.

 

It took him three months of prying and practically begging before Sunggyu told him he was stuck in the mirror when he was 26 years old. He was born on April 28, 1953. 

 

He looked at his desk calendar. It was already April 21, 2017. One more week and it'd be Sunggyu's birthday. He planned on celebrating the elder's day over a cake and good music. And though Sunggyu has greatly refused, Woohyun won't take no for an answer. 

 

He was busily smiling on his own when he felt a nudge on his side . He looked up and saw the annoying brat again.

 

"Tell me you're not dating and I'll punch that lovestruck smile out of your face."

 

He shoved the other away and looked at the clock, one minute before 5 pm. He counted off the seconds left, ready to dash out the door when the clock strikes five. And when it did, Sungyeol could only look at his friend's retreating figure,

"Not dating, my as*."

 

-----------

He arrived home in no time. He expected to be greeted with the usual "Welcome home" but when he opened the door, he was met with silence. 

He the lights and shouted out the name of the person only he knew exists.

 

"Sunggyu? Kim Sunggyu?"

He waited but heard nothing in reply. He panicked and dashed towards his bedroom, stood in front of his mirror and was shocked when he saw nothing but his own reflection.

 

He clutched both sides of the mirror and yelled in angst, "Sunggyu! Sunggyu! Sunggyu, please come out. Kim Sunggyu!!"

 

On the other side of the mirror, unknown to Woohyun, Sunggyu was watching with tears silently falling down his face.

 

"It's better this way, Woohyun-ah. Just forget about me. I'm a good for nothing person. A trash. You'll be better off without me."

 

He watched as the younger clutched his chest in great sadness, as he wept for someone who doesn't exist in the same dimension and reality as him.

 

-------------

The next few days were a blur for Woohyun. He had dark bags under his eyes each day he goes to work and Sungyeol was worried.

 

Did.. Did they probably break up?

He was at a loss. He doesn't know how to confront his best friend because he had never seen him this wrecked.

He would hear him sigh deeply or stare at nothing in particular, his eyes b with melancholy and unshed tears.

 

On the fourth day, Woohyun still tried to talk to the mirror... Begging Sunggyu to appear before him again, but at no use.

 

He knew Sunggyu is still there, just refusing to show up. He knew. He can feel his heart beat race the way only Sunggyu's presence can make. So, as to why he was not showing up, he doesn't know. And he's frustrated. Totally.

 

On the fifth day, two days before Sunggyu's birthday, he filed for an indefinite leave from his office and being the excellent employee that he was, it was immediately granted to him. He still talked to Sunggyu, albeit only one-sided since the elder still refused to show his gorgeous face to Woohyun.

 

Woohyun's heart was aching. He was so used to Sunggyu's presence that he felt so lost when he suddenly hid from him. 

 

It wasn't until the night before Sunggyu's birthday when he found himself in front of Soo's Crazy Antics antique shop. He was deliberating whether to confront the owner of the shop regarding Sunggyu and even disregarded the fact that he might be sent into an asylum if he talked about loving a man that was stuck inside a vanity mirror for years.

He went in and proceeded to the cashier, taking a deep breath before he said,

 

"Look. I bought an antique vanity mirror eight months ago and I-"

 

He was cut off by the cashier's cold voice.

 

"As I've said before sir, we are strictly implementing the 'No return policy' and whatever you're dealing with the purchased item is not our concern anymore. Have a good night."

 

The man said, indirectly brushing off Woohyun, which only annoyed the latter.

 

"Then, may I speak to the owner of the shop?"

 

"Speaking." The cashier/owner said confidently.

 

Woohyun felt his hope deflate but managed to brush it off. He then stepped closer to the owner and said in a desperate voice,

 

"I know this might sound crazy but please just hear me out. Please ."

The owner looked at him and the sadness and desperation he saw in Woohyun's eyes was enough to let him hear the latter out.

 

"Spill."

 

Woohyun talked about what happened eight months ago, to the time when Sunggyu and him had a proper conversation up to the point where Sunggyu refused to show up.

 

"How do you know he's just refusing to show up and not gone?" The owner inquired.

 

"I know. I just know. I can still feel his presence in the mirror. So I know he's just hiding from me. Though i don't know why. We were fine until we talked last week about his upcoming birthday, which by the way is tomorrow."

 

"And how old will he be tomorrow?"

 

He counted off the years and grunted at the age he came up with. He looked at the owner's eyes and said in a soft voice, "He'd be turning 65 tomorrow, technically."

 

He caught a look of surprise on the owner's eyes and then panicked when he saw how it morphed into sadness and helplessness.

 

"I'm... I'm sorry. But I guess you should just forget about him."

 

He was deemed speechless at the other's statement. 

 

He stared at the clock and saw how it was a quarter before 12 midnight. How could time run so fast...

 

The other man followed his gaze and then shook his head. He ducked down the counter and when he popped up again, he was carrying a huge black book.

 

He flipped and flipped and stopped at a certain page.  He then shoved the book to Woohyun and as he read out the words, his eyes are threatening to bulge out of its sockets.

 

"The special curse of trapping one's soul in an inanimate object is a feat only a select few witches can execute... It is said that when whatever curse the witch has bestowed was not broken until the trapped soul turns 65 years old, the said soul would vanish into thin air, leaving the inanimate object to slowly rot into inexistence..."

 

He looked at the clock again and saw how it was already five minutes before the clock strikes twelve.

No... Sunggyu.. Sunggyu, you can't.

 

He ran as fast as his legs can take towards his house, and right now he knows he needs a miracle because the distance between his house and the shop is a good 10-minute car ride. He ran and ran even when he felt his lungs burning.

 

He was sweating heavily by the time he reached his house. In a lightning speed, he opened the door and quickly ran to his bedroom.

 

He then went straight to the vanity mirror and noticed how empty it felt. His heart ached as he clutched the mirror on his chest, crying out pleas to someone, anyone.

 

"Sunggyu!!! S-s-Sunggyu!! You can't leave me. Please, you just can't. I am nothing without you. I'm just a mess but with you, I feel so alive. So full of life. So loved. I feel so complete. Please... Please Sunggyu. Come back to me. I love you." He whispered, his chest heaving as he cried loudly.

 

He looked at his wall clock and saw that it was already 12:10. He was late. Too late...

 

And now his love is gone.

 

"SUNGGYUUUUUUUU!!!" He cried in anguish, not caring if his throat will be soar the next day. He doesn't care what happens tomorrow because today, he feels so dead inside.

 

He hugged the vanity mirror and whispered words of love to his Sunggyu. That night, Woohyun cried himself to sleep.

 

 

----------------------

It's been two years since that fateful event. Woohyun was back to his old cheerful self, much to Sungyeol's happiness.

 

But then one day, it was April 28, 2019, when Woohyun came to work looking all sad.

"Hey. What's wrong with you this time?"

 

"Nothing."

 

"Cut out the crap puh-lease." Sungyeol rolled his eyes at him.

 

"It's just that... Today is April 28." He heaved a sigh again.

 

Realization dawned on Sungyeol and he immediately hugged his bestfriend.

 

"I'm sorry, hyung. I forgot today is Sunggyu's birthday" He tapped Woohyun on the back for good measure.

 

After that fateful event, Woohyun was forced to tell Sungyeol the whole story, starting from the day he bought the vanity mirror until that 12:10 am of April 28, 2017.

 

He heard Woohyun sigh again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I don't even know why he still refuses to celebrate his own birthday. I mean, who doesn't want to celebrate the fact that they're gifted with another year to live?!"

 

Sungyeol laughed out loud at his hyung's huge problem, aka Sunggyu's stubborness.

Looking back, he was thankful to all the gods and deities that made Woohyun the happiest man on earth.

 

...April 28, 2017...

The sun was already peeking out his window and poking through his eyes, forcing him to wake up and get his lazy up from the floor.

 

He noticed how he was still holding the vanity mirror, and felt his eyes pricked again.

 

He was about to bawl again when he heard a loud crash in the kitchen and a familiar voice cursing loudly.

 

"! How do you even use this piece of crap?! How am I supposed to cook huh, how?!!"

 

He shook hid head, slowly got up and tiptoed towards the kitchen.

"S-s-sunggyu?" He called out.

And the man who was currently wearing Woohyun's pyjama turned slowly and showed him a toothy grin.

 

"Good morning, baby!"

Never did Woohyun have such a lovely morning.

He ran to the kitchen and hugged Sunggyu for a good ten seconds before pulling out of the hug and suddenly crashing their lips together.

It was just as how Woohyun imagined kissing these lips would be. It was soft, so supple that he can't help but swipe his tongue over it to taste. Sunggyu was caught offguard and gasped at the younger's action, which earned Woohyun an entry to his sweet cavern. They kissed each other passionately, tongues clashing and exploring each other's mouths.

 

They broke the kiss when they both ran out of breath. Woohyun leaned his forehead on Sunggyu's, his left hand holding his nape and the other on the elder's hips.

 

"That was better than I imagined.." he said in between breaths.

Sunggyu chuckled and said, "That's because I'm the best kisser in town."

With that, he pecked Woohyun's lips, earning a smile from the younger.

 

He then turned serious, his hands holding Sunggyu's face, gently carressing his cheeks as he stared at him with love and confusion.

 

"How?"

Despite the vague question, Sunggyu knows what the other meant.

 

"You broke the curse, baby. And I'll be forever grateful."

 

"But.. the shop owner said you'd turn into ashes once the clock strikes twelve. So how?"

 

He kissed Woohyun's nose and lips before answering..

 

"You made it on time. My soul was about to be out, hence the fact that when you arrived, you can't feel me anymore. My heart was shattered seeing you crying your heart out for me.. You don't know how much i wanted to just get the hell out of there and hug you. But then you said the magic words.."

 

Confusion was seen at the young man's face and then when it hit him, he smiled widely and said...

 

"I love you?"

 

"Yes, as cliché as it sounds. I just need someone to fall in love with me, despite my bad attitude. Blame it on that stupid witch. Such a romantic tsk tsk. But anyway, I'm still happy.. now that I'm out of that place and free to love you.. i will surely shower you with love. That's a promise"

 

Sunggyu ended that with another passionate kiss with Woohyun, until he was pushed away.

 

Woohyun hugged him tight and whispered, "I love you, Kim Sunggyu. Even if you're the worst nagger and the most foul-mouthed in the whole wide world, I'd still love you. Happy birthday, baby. Please spend the rest of your birthdays with me."

 

Sunggyu hugged him tight and then replied, "I have no place I'd rather be than by your side, Nam Woohyun. I love you too. So much."

 

After the tear jerking moment, Woohyun clutched his hand and said, "Let's go out and celebrate your..err 65th birthday?"

 

Sunggyu glared at him and said, "That's it. i won't celebrate my birthday ever again."

And true to his words, two years later and Sunggyu still refuses to celebrate his day, which almost always annoys Woohyun, though he blames himself for stating Sunggyu's real age back then.

 

Though it has never stopped Woohyun from whipping up a simple celebration just for the both of them to enjoy.

 

Sungyeol watched as Woohyun stood straighter when he heard the familiar ringtone from his phone, like a dog wagging his tail at the sight of his master.

 

He observed how his best friend's somber face a few minutes ago lit up when he talked to the phone.

 

 

"Yes baby.. I'll be home early.. happy birthday again...no..ah, sorry.. ok. I love you too baby. See you soonest."

 

Sungyeol sighed at his hyung's sudden change in behavior. He was now grinning from ear to ear that he worries his hyung's face might right apart. He shook his head and blamed it on the one thing that made him like that. Only love.

 

God help this love babo.

 

 

xxx

So uhm, I wrote this for 4 hours straight on my phone . I  hope you enjoyed this impulse story^^ Comment down your thoughts :)

 

​​​​