Lucky&Unlucky

Despicable Bacon

 

STILL AT SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA. 

And so, the human and minion begin their adventures together, with the minion on the human's shoulder majority of the time.

Despite the huge buildings and roads, most minions don't seem to struggle, mostly because they're already living in clusters around one another. Different families have gathered together in a few houses, and thanks to the bananas Baekhyun had left behind, they all seem to manage to survive on just bananas for at least quite some time.  Some have even managed to find some way to reach for the food that they want, by piling on one another like a long chain of minions! Everybody is laughing and chattering, with such friendliness that can almost make Baekhyun gag.

Ugh! I shouldn't have brought all those bananas!

Actually, just the Banana song is enough to turn the humans to minions, but Baekhyun thought that a badass villain has to foreshadow his attack first. So what did he do?

He planted all those bananas, thinking that they would make great foreshadowing.

And they're now biting him back in the .

I'm such an idiot... Idiot...

Chanyeol grins as he says, "They get along quite well, actually. You can get along with them too, Baek. Isn't this great news?"

"No way I can," Baekhyun refutes immediately. He knows the human and his schemes very well. Under his deceptive smile, he's actually a master of tricks. That's why Baekhyun befriended him initially, when he was still a human; Baekhyun needed a partner-in-crime, and Park Chanyeol fits that bill perfectly. However, he became a minion, and that's how Park Chanyeol went from his partner-in-crime to his enemy...

 

"What is that? Is that actually a minion?"

When Baekhyun's parents came to check on the boy, their jaws almost dropped when they saw what their son had become. The minion turned to look at his parents with tears b in his eyes, as if he himself was astonished by his new predicament.

"Dad... Mom..." he called out.

His parents shook their heads, refusing to believe that the minion in front of them was their child. That made no sense! Their son was supposed to be a human. How could he have transformed into a minion?

They concluded that there must be some black magic going on here- or maybe an alien invasion, as ridiculous as that sounded. Maybe the minions from the Despicable Me movie that their son watched the last night had really came to invade Earth. The minion in front of them must be one of them!

"Go! Call the police, honey!" Baekhyun's mother exclaimed. His father scrambled away to dial for the police, and Baekhyun stared at his once loving parents with glazed eyes. Their betrayal had stabbed against his heart. Although he didn't know what was going on with him and his body, he knew he had to get away. He didn't want to get jailed for doing literally nothing at all, except for watching a stupid movie about minions!

And so, he immediately climbed out of his window and escaped. It was easy and effortless since he became a minion. He could hear his mother's cries, and although they pained him, he knew that they were anticipating for his capture.

Baekhyun was an obedient and hardworking kid. He made sure to complete all his homework and revise for his exams. Sure, he was a prankster, but he did that all in good fun, to lighten up the atmosphere in class. He believed in the good of everyone. He never made any mistakes, except for those times when he flared up at people for intentionally pronouncing his name as Bacon. They deserved it, though. I mean, who would like to be objectified as bacon, right?

So why? Why was it that fate hated him and made him turn out like this?

 

The minion, with no home to go to, went to his school. It was still lesson time, but he knew that his best friend must be wandering out in the gardens. He always did.

That giant...

The minion kinda envied him, honestly. He is tall and (Baekhyun would begrudgingly admit) handsome, so he sorta has the looks for a model. Even though everybody laughed when he loudly proclaimed his dream, Baekhyun saw how the teacher was more lenient to him than the rest. Besides, Chanyeol's a happy virus. No matter how lazy or arrogant he can be, he has the appearance and power to back it all up.

It... It was just unfair, you know? Just look at poor Baekhyun! Even though he studied until his brain went bonkers and eyes about to pop up out of his face, he still never got As! Even though he went about pranking people, they all threw dusters at him and told him to shut up! Why, oh why was Baekhyun's life so unfortunate? Now that he thought about it, nobody ever smiled at him. Nobody ever laughed with him. Unless you combined those two together... Everyone only laughed at him. Ha. Ha. Ha. Byun Baekhyun's life was indeed funny.

Well, actually, maybe there was one person who didn't.

Chanyeol.

Damn, this is becoming like one of those cliche Kdramas. Everybody was an except for that very person you envied... Boohoo! Baekhyun didn't know whether to laugh or to cry at how dramatic his life had become.

But yeah... Chanyeol did mean a lot to Baekhyun, now that he thought about it. Chanyeol didn't really talk much (he laughed more than he talked), but when Baekhyun tried to prank him, he was the first time who readily laughed from the bottom of his heart. Amidst the stoic students who were busy revising for their work, Chanyeol was the only one who appreciated his pranks for their due worth.

He even patted Baekhyun on his shoulder and said, "Hey! With your prankery and my trickery, we're gonna be the best duo here! Let's be partners-in-crime, man!"

Baekhyun didn't know 'prankery' was a word, and maybe it wasn't. Or maybe it was. He didn't care anyway, because he had someone who appreciated him and that was all that mattered.

That was why even though Baekhyun had transformed into a minion and his parents had abandoned him, he knew that Chanyeol wouldn't. Because Chanyeol didn't have brain cells. He didn't judge creatures for what species they were or whether they had intelligence or not. Perhaps that was why Baekhyun hated him but loved him at the same time, as with everybody else.

Eventually, he did find the giant. He walked in front of him and waved his hands. Chanyeol didn't appear to notice him though; he was sighing to himself. Damn, Chanyeol sighing only happened once in a blue moon. So, of course, Baekhyun was concerned.

"Where exactly is Baek? Baek is never late..." Chanyeol murmurred to himself like a worried mother. Baekhyun didn't know the tall guy cared for him so much. He felt a little flattered, actually.

"Is it because I dragged him to see that minion movie yesterday? Baek, please be all right. I don't want you to die from minion attacks..." Chanyeol mumbled incessantly, like he was going through some panic attack. All the warmth in Baekhyun's heart instantly vanished.

Seriously? Chanyeol must either be nuts, or... nuts.

Seeing that Chanyeol was completely oblivious to his presence, he decided to try another method to get his attention instead. The minion slowly crept behind Chanyeol's back.

"You can't die yet, Baek...! Not when I haven't told you how I feel!"

Chanyeol's random outburst almost caused Baekhyun to trip over his feet, but thankfully, he managed to catch himself. His partner-in-crime was sure overdramatic. Why was he randomly blubbering about in the school garden, anyway? 

"Actually, I..."

"Booyah!" Baekhyun screamed when he managed to creep behind Chanyeol's back. The human jumped in surprise, frantically glancing back at the intruder.

"A minion?" Chanyeol verbally voiced out his doubt, wondering if he had finally gone crazy hallucinating about minions in broad daylight.

"It's me, Baekhyun," Baekhyun admitted, a little nervous that Chanyeol might reject him like his parents did. Strangely, Chanyeol didn't seem turned off; instead, his face flushed a deep red.

"Yeol?"

Baekhyun was never a fan of shortening names, but he remembered fondly of how he was teased as Bacon and how Chanyeol was teased as Yolk. So Chanyeol proposed that their duo name should be Bacon&Egg, and from then on, they called one another Baek and Yeol with affection. BaekYeol.

"Baek, what happened to you? Did you get attacked by minions?"

At that point of time, Baekhyun felt like facepalming himself. When Chanyeol actually verbalised that out, it sounded ridiculous. But he really did transform into a minion, so he wouldn't be surprised if minions came barging in Earth any moment to attack them.

This tall guy was stupid. Unbearably so. But at the same time, he was unbearably imaginative and caring. Perhaps that was why Baekhyun could tolerate him.

And liked him, perhaps.

"I woke up, and then I turned out like this. I don't know why..." Then, Baekhyun paused, as he scrutinised the human in front of him. Was it due to the movie they watched yesterday? It couldn't be, right? If not, Chanyeol would've turned into a minion too...

But he was still unbearably tall, and he towered over the minion like a mighty giant.

Why? Why did unlucky things always befall on Baekhyun?

"Now, my parents called the cops on me, and I became a fugitive for literally doing nothing except for watching a minion movie," Baekhyun lamented. Tears almost welled up in his eyes as he thought about the betrayal of his own parents.

"Don't cry, Baek. I believe you. I'll try and convince them, and maybe they'll listen..." Chanyeol attempted to comfort the sobbing minion. Just then, the police walked past the school with Baekhyun's parents in tow.

"I think you have been dreaming too much, Ma'am. There's no way a minion might've appeared in your house," the policeman lazily dismissed the frantic woman, probably wondering if they should perhaps send her to a mental hospital.

"I saw it with my own eyes! My darling saw it too! My son disappeared because of that minion. You have to catch him!" the woman shouted. Everybody around turned around, shaking their heads at the woman who had gone nuts.

The policeman eventually said, "Forget it. I think we should get the mental hospital's staff here. This woman is clearly not right in the head."

Hearing the policeman splutter such atrocious words, the rage built up in Baekhyun like a volcano that was about to explode. He stormed up to the policeman in huge minion steps.

"She's right! That minion is me," Baekhyun said.

In a flash, everybody glanced at the small, little minion.

Chanyeol runned up to the crowd of people as he attempted to explain, "He's Baek, aunt. He turned to a minion for no reason. It's probably because of the movie yesterday. Don't bring him to jail-"

"What is this alien thing here?" the policeman yelled, stunned by the fact that minions actually existed. But nobody understood. How could bizarre things that only existed in fiction exist in reality? And because they didn't understand it, they chose to ostracise it. The policeman grabbed the minion forcefully.

"Hey, let Baek down!" Chanyeol yelled after him to futile use.

"This thing is disrupting public order. Move away, young man!" the policeman yelled back, more out of fear than out of actual rage. Despite Baekhyun's desperate attempts to squirm out of his grasp, the firm grip that the man held on him restricted his movements. It hurt. It really did hurt. But what hurt more was the judging glares the passers-by gave him, as if he was an alien object that shouldn't exist...

He looked up. Chanyeol, who desperately tried to explain the situation, and his parents, who still regarded his words as nonsense... Their figures gradually blurred, eventually merging into one, leaving him behind in the cold, steel experiment room...

 

"You understand Hangul, right? Who are you? Where are your other partners? Where did you hide that lady's son?" the policeman interrogated him.

"I'm Baekhyun. I'm that lady's son. And I don't have partners. I don't know why, but after I watched a minion movie yesterday, I became like this," he tried to explain. Yet, the policeman shook his head at his attempt to justify himself.

"But you're the only one so far. Clearly, you're just an intruder. Stop lying already, Bacon!" the policeman shouted, ignoring whatever he was trying to say. The minion dramatically sighed. Of course, the police just had to label him as their only enemy. Believing in a minion invasion was much easier than trying to figure out how one sole human had been transformed to a minion.

Besides, he remembered saying that his name is Baekhyun. What's with people not pronouncing his name correctly? Besides, they're Koreans! They should know how to pronounce basic Hangul characters!

"I'm Baekhyun, not Bacon, sir," Baekhyun clarified, extremely irritated by the fact that the policeman's Hangul was so poor.

The policeman scoffed, refuting his claim, "Pft, don't act as if you're Korean. There's no such thing as a Korean minion in this world."

Baekhyun couldn't believe it. Not only was he being labelled as an intruder to Earth, he was also been denied his name and race. What had happened to his human rights?

Oh right. He was not a human anymore. He was a minion...

"Forget it. It's clear you're a tough nut to crack. We'll need to get you some experts," the policeman concluded and stalked out of the room.

Afterwards... Well, you won't want to know what happened afterwards.

The torture he experienced was immense. Mere words can't fully describe just how humiliated and anguished he felt. Then, he pitied all those rats that the country used as test specimens for their evil experiments. All he could do was hope for a miracle to save him from that horrendous place.

And so, to relieve his grief even by a little, he sang the Banana song to appease the pain in his heart. The guards somehow shrunk and morphed to become minions right in front of his eyes!

The guards themselves were stunned, and then Baekhyun discovered something. Singing the Banana song transformed humans to minions! 

He slithered across the door when the guards were still wondering what sorcery had transformed them to minions and then he escaped from the experiment room. Lucky for him for being so small.

But because he was running so quickly, he bumped onto a mega-sized thing.

Uh oh, Baekhyun thought. He looked up, and thank goodness it was Chanyeol, the only person who didn't give up on him.

"Baek! Good timing. I was going to-" Chanyeol was about to speak, but Baekhyun stomped on his foot furiously, rendering his words into an anguished cry instead.

"Shut up! People may see us!" Baekhyun screamed in a hushed tone if that was even possible. He was somewhat thankful that Chanyeol was there with him, though the resentment that built up inside him didn't cease. In fact, he might be feeling even more bitter.

"Chanyeol, can you help me out with something?"

It was the first time Baekhyun didn't call Chanyeol 'Yeol'.

Still, Chanyeol didn't seem to find that strange, and he just merely nodded with a wide grin.

"Anything for you, Baek."

 

Baekhyun doesn't know why he's thinking about the past, because memories are all useless. What matters now is the present, and the fact he has everything under control. It would be, if Chanyeol didn't disrupt him.

"C'mon, don't be like this! Hey guys!"

Ignoring Baekhyun's protests, Chanyeol hauled the minion over to the large table where all the minions were gathered. They blinked slightly, and soon, they surrounded the giant like he was their favourite idol.

"Oh, human! Nice to see you! Come come, sit down!" they fawned over the human, and at once, a few minions pushed one chair towards the giant with their combined forces. With a thankful smile, Chanyeol melted all hearts. He sat on the chair, with Baekhyun still on his shoulder.

Seeing this, the minions start expressing their envy.

"Can we sit on your shoulder too?" the minions exclaimed.

Chanyeol smiles slightly as he rejects their request, "No, sorry. My shoulder is reserved for someone special." Saying this, he glances at Baekhyun.

Baekhyun's heart might have skipped a beat if he didn't start recalling the hardships he had to experience and how Chanyeol, that insanely lucky guy, escaped every single one of them. His minion heart is corrupted with jealousy towards the tall one, which nothing can save, except...

"By the way, this is Baekhyun. He's very adorable," Chanyeol bluntly states. Baekhyun trys not to blush after hearing his words, but if one looks closely at his clear, yellow skin, they can see a faint tinge of pink colouring his cheeks.

"Baekhyun! Is that you?" a sharp, high-pitched voice resounds. The minion turns and spots a minion couple. Tears almost blur his vision as he stares at his parents whom he now no longer recognises. They used to vehemently deny his existence. What happened? Are they only acknowledging him as their son now that they're in the same position as he is?

"Mom..." he utters hesitantly. Chanyeol lifts his parents up to his shoulder, and in an instant, his parents envelope him into a warm embrace. Yet, their touch feels strangely cold at the very same time.

Everyone cheers at the dramatic reunion scene, and it seems like no one has realised how similar his name is to the evil villain's name, Bacon. He awkwardly hugs his parents, unsure of how to receive this overwhelming affection. Affection has been such a distant word from him for these few days.

As if sensing Baekhyun's discomfort, Chanyeol peels the two away from the minion.

"See! I told you, uncle and aunt. That minion was Baek," Chanyeol says. 

"Right. I knew it. It's just I was too shocked at that time," Baekhyun's father says, putting on a tough front as he pats the shorter minion's head.

"We're so so sorry poor Baekkie! You must've suffered a lot, mustn't you?"

His mother tightly holds the shorter minion again.

Baekhyun doesn't know how to feel about it all. Emotions of joy, hope, relief and anger are intertwined inside him. Why? Why must they apologise now? Just when he wants to take over the world...

Why must they do this to him?

He nuzzles in his mother's now shorter neck, just like what he used to do when they were still humans. He know he's hesitating now. He's probably falling into Chanyeol's trap. But still, he merely indulges in the comfort of his mother, even when the tall guy forcefully tears them apart after what seems like an eternity.

"Now now, I know you guys are excited, but look at everyone else. They're green with envy," Chanyeol jokes. Clearly enough, everybody is now piling on one another, hugging the other minions as they watch the touching reunion of the Byun family. Lots of 'awwing', 'wahhhing' and whatever '--ing's you can think of have been echoing around the room, unknown to only the mother and her son. Even Baekhyun's father appears very left out from the hug. He darts towards the two, inadvertently crashing onto them and knocking them out of Chanyeol's shoulder. When they land on the ground, they rush up to all the minions to give them a 'minion group hug', though Baekhyun appears slightly reluctant.

As Baekhyun is nudged about by the other minions, he thinks if they are only this tolerable because of Chanyeol's magical virus, or because he actually transformed them to minions. He had seen how cold-hearted and indifferent humans could be, and so this sudden affection by the minions has thrown him terribly off-guard indeed. But when the lump of minions separates and they start to bring bananas and even potatoes out on the table, the party later on begins to soften the walls that Baekhyun had set up around his heart. Without discrimination, without biasness, the minions' chattering and laughter resound in the room and in Baekhyun's heart.

He doesn't know if their happiness is artificial, but for now, they seem genuine. They're like the friends Baekhyun never had in his past life...

Amidst the laughter, he glances at Chanyeol, the human who's momentarily left out from the fun. The guy merely watches the bustling minions with a placid smile etched on his face. It's the first time Baekhyun sees such serenity in the troublemaker's expression. The minion wonders why. Chanyeol is always the center of attention (or laughter), and the fact that he's not joining in the conversation at all feels off. But still, the giggling of the minions never ceases. It rings, like a bell that tinkles in a dark, silent night. And Baekhyun realises something.

Although Chanyeol is stupid, arrogant, obnoxious and perhaps gifted with luck, he has a pure heart that shines through.

And perhaps, that's why everyone hates and loves him at the same time, including Baekhyun himself.

Noticing how Chanyeol is in awe by the chaos of the minions, Baekhyun steals a potato and sneaks behind his back. He climbs up the motionless giant, about to surprise him when-

-Chanyeol's head turns behind the moment he's on his shoulder. His handsome face appears magnified in the minion's small eyes. His huge, dark brown eyes glimmer with cheekiness, while his wide lips curl into a crescent-shaped grin.

The giant declares, "You're not fooling me anymore, Byun Baekhyun."

And to stop himself from being taken in by Chanyeol's stupidly beautiful face, Baekhyun stuffs the potato into his mouth out of both embarrassment and gratitude.

 

THE AUTHOR'S CORNER.
Is Baekhyun caught? Hoho. We'll see. I was planning for this story to end in 3 chapters but I have a feeling it's going to be 4 or even 5 chapters now ;; (Why does this always happen to me...) Anyway, hope y'all enjoy the crack-angst over here! This story is going to be a very deep and meaningful story like what I promised ;) (or is it??)
 

panda ri.