Tall&Short

Despicable Bacon

 

SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA. 

Alas, all the humans—I mean minions—have gathered in one lump. Yellow, bald heads (well, most had a few strands of hair but that's negligible) nudging one another about, gathering only to complain about the ridiculousness of this situation... Ah, what a sight indeed! 

"Come on! Where's that minion Bacon? I knew that rascal meant us no good the moment he arrived! Minions are now going to invade Earth with their ridiculous overalls!" a female minion bellows, her eyes darting about to find the culprit of this mess.

"I simply can't believe this! Humans are the most intelligent creatures on Earth, and yet we've fallen under the curse of this wretched minion! Where are our scholars? Where is our government?" another male demands. His voice reverbrates around the air. Although he seems to have a loud voice, he doesn't seem to have any brain cells.

When is the government ever reliable for anything?

And more importantly, is he even sure that humans are the most intelligent creatures on Earth?

"All right, all right, stop fighting kids. I'm sure we can find a peaceful way out of this-" advises a wise, old minion, though his voice ends up getting drowned out by the other minions' screechy voices.

"Get out of here, Bacon! Turn us back to humans now! I don't want to become shorter than I already am!" cries a kid who hasn't undergone puberty yet. Aw, how sad.

"Yeah! Who's Bacon over here? Confess right now!"

All the minions look at one another frantically. Unfortunately, all of them are basically carbon copies of one another with variations in age and gender, so trying to find Bacon among the millions of minions is like trying to find a specific ant in the midst of an ant army.

"Oh god," the old minion sighs, as if he has resigned to his fate. He just hopes he doesn't die as a minion.

"I was going to appear anyway even without all of you screaming around, but anyway, let me get one thing straight. My name is not Bacon! Stop mispronouncing my name, whether you're doing it intentionally or not! Because I'm going to spell it out to you. My name is Byun-"

Before the minion, Byun Bacon, can even finish his rant, he is whizzed away by some magical force and collides onto another minion, which collides onto another, which collides onto another, so on so forth. LIke a chain of dominoes, they all collapse pathetically and tragically. Desiring to know who the evil-doer is, they look up, and is dazzled by the garish glory of one certain creature.

...Finally, they lay eyes upon a human! A real human! I can only say that delight is an understatement for these joyous minions, because they've finally regained hope in ever walking with tall legs again!

Due to their excitement, they've forgotten all about the root cause of all evils, Bacon. They immediately get up on their two tiny feet and rush towards the lone human, marvelling him with praises and compliments.

"Are you actually a human?" a child asks excitedly, as if seeing a human has become a miracle of life.

"Well, obviously I am. I don't seem to have wings or anything that classifies me under a bird," the foreign human bluntly states.

Another minion asks, "Then, why are you still a human? Can you turn us into humans?" 

"Uh, I don't know. And I don't know if I can, but I can try...?" the human hesitantly replies under the pressure of so many watchful minion eyes. He attempts to do some magical spell he learnt on television and starts shooting at the minions in front of him, but nothing happens.

"Oh, too bad. Sorry folks, I guess I'm not like the superheroes in movies after all!" the human bursts into laughter at his own antics. The moment his vibrant laughter sounds, the air around him stills, quite literally. All the minions' eyes are sparkling, like they've been enlightened about the meaning of life. Slowly, they all move away from the human, nodding to themselves in a daze.

Bacon can only stare at the scene in front of him, stunned by all the atrocities that had happened. He is the one who created this mess, but he doesn't even know what's happening right now. And the more important question is, how has that human escaped his magical curse? Why does everyone look like they have been blessed by his very presence?

He actually kinda reminds him of a certain someone. Someone who who has a contagious laughter. Someone whose smile brightens up the entire atmosphere...

Wait... Can it be...

Him?

Finally, a lone kid breaks the silence.

"It's okay! You're still our superhero! Why are we even fighting like this anyway? Isn't it fun to be a minion?" the kid chirps as he giggles, twirling around in his full minion glory. One by one, the other minions nod at his words.

"Yeah! Finally, we don't have to worry about traffic congestion anymore!" a minion who was previously a businessman exclaims.

"I can finally squish my friends!" a teenager who has a strange obsession over hugging her friends yells delightfully, embracing the living daylights out of her friend just next to her.

"And I guess overalls are cool too!" the female minion who used to be so disgusted about the mere existence of overalls screams as she stares at the beautiful overalls she is wearing.

One by one, the crowd of minions slowly dissipates, like they've been brainwashed about the beauty of being minions. The only ones remaining are the human and the only minion who is unamused by everything.

"Well, I don't know what just happened, but it's great we can all live in harmony now," the human says with a contented smile on his face. Just as he is about to walk away, he hears a minion's voice calling out to him.

"Park Chanyeol, what's all that about?"

The human, Chanyeol, turns around, coming face-to-face with Bacon who's still very much unaffected.

"Oh, Baek! I was wondering where you are," Chanyeol grins as he picks up the minion and puts him on his shoulder. That's what the human has done to him ever since he turned into a minion...

Okay, stop getting all melodramatic, Byun Baekhyun. You have a mission to finish here, and this guy is thwarting all your plans!

The minion heaves a few breaths, as if attempting to calm his palpitating minion heart, as he firmly states, "Why are you the only one immune to my curse?"

"Oh please, don't make it sound as if you're some evil schemer when all you did is sing the Banana song to turn the humans to minions. Although I applaud you for planting bananas all around the city alone... You could've asked for my help, Baek," Chanyeol chortled at the minion, smirking triumphantly, though he appeared let-down by the fact that Bacon- I mean Baekhyun didn't approach him for help.

"But well, I don't know. I guess I'm just lucky?"

Damn you, Park Chanyeol. You're really a good-for-nothing.

Most people busied about with their own packed schedules like work and school, so they never ever bothered to observe their surroundings. This made it especially easy for a small minion like Bacon- or Baekhyun (since that seems to be his real name) to worm his way through the crowd and leave goodies like bananas behind.

Fortunately or unfortunately, people were also very acute about only one thing. Free stuff. Whether it was money, food or clothes, everyone fought over free stuff. So naturally, the bananas were devoured up even by the busiest people.

Sadly, Chanyeol is unlike them. He doesn't have much of a life, so he likes to observe people as if they are interesting specimens. That must be why he noticed Baekhyun's devious scheme.

Because he's naturally gifted with tall genes (and terribly lucky with stupid things like not transforming to a minion even when everybody else did), he likes to boast to the teachers that he's going to become a model when he grows up, and he uses it as an excuse to stop paying attention to the droning of those teachers and just stare at how beautiful the scenery is outside the windows during class.

Everyone hates him, yet they love him.

Why?

Well, for one very simple reason. Whenever Chanyeol laughs, it's as if he lights up the world with his laughter. Whenever Chanyeol smiles, it's as if everyone watching him has already forgotten about all their worries, mesmerised by the dazzle of his grin. And the only times when Chanyeol doesn't laugh or smile is when...

...

...Actually, I can't think of any significant time when he doesn't laugh or smile. Because, to be frank with you, Chanyeol is nuts.

But because of this, Baekhyun has always envied him. And now, Chanyeol is making use of that strange mysterious power of his to stop him! How appalling, right?

At the thought of that, his rage rises up his little minion brain again.

He fumes, "Whatever! I'm just warning you. Don't get in my way. I'm going to dominate the world and torment these wretched humans until they come in front of me to beg me to stop." Although he's clenching his fists tightly, throwing air punches in the air in a fit to appear more intimidating, he just ends up looking... cute. You know, ugly but adorable.

The human which now seems like a giant compared to the minion merely chuckles as he nods lazily.

"I don't really care, but are you planning to travel all around the world just to plant all those bananas and sing the Banana song? That's gonna be tough alone," Chanyeol remarks, pausing for a moment before he continues, "Besides, what about me? Are you going to leave me like this?" He spins around with his huge body, sending Baekhyun's head into multiple pirouettes.

"Stop, stop, stop! Stop boasting about how you're the only special one already, Park Chanyeol!" the irritated minion exclaims as he jumps off the human's shoulder, landing onto the ground lightly. One lucky benefit of being a minion is that you don't die even after falling from 1.85 metres height.

As usual, the human only laughs. That's probably his most distinguishing characteristic (well, other than his height), because otherwise, Baekhyun sees no bright future in a guy who lazes around in class all day, talking about his dreams that will never come true. Then again... Baekhyun doesn't see a bright future in anyone, not even in himself. All these humans are just so unbearably stupid and annoying, you see, even Baekhyun himself. You may wonder, why? The reason is very simple, actually.

Because Baekhyun was once a human himself, until he watched the Despicable Me movie with- you guess it! Stupid Park Chanyeol.

After he had a good night's sleep that day, Baekhyun had been mysteriously transformed into a minion to the puzzlement of doctors and scientists alike, and he has been stuck in this minion body since forever. On the other hand, Chanyeol is still his merry self.

I swear it's only because of the genes. You know, evolution? Survival of the fittest? All those terms your biology teacher has forced you to memorise them by heart? Yeah, those. I somehow got the minion disease because I'm short, while almighty tall Chanyeol didn't. That's my theory anyway. Life is unfair. Horrible.

After that eruption of laughter, Chanyeol blinks innocently, tilting his head like he doesn't understand a thing.

"Why? Isn't it good to be special?"

"No, it isn't. Not when I'm trying to take over the world. I'm not going to reveal all my plans to you, so don't get wayward thoughts. Find some way to sadify those people first!" Baekhyun demands in exasperation, totally forgetting that those people have already become minions thanks to his magic bananas, and that 'sadify' isn't a word, not even in a minion's dictionary.

The human looks at the minion seriously, before stating, "Sorry Baek. I would like to help you, but you know... I don't know a way. It just happens. Unless you find some way to agitate them again, like an alien attack or something." He shrugs, like the matter is already out of his hands.

Right. What did I even expect?

Baekhyun heaves a dramatic sigh. Considering Chanyeol can never control his laughter or smiles, he doesn't think asking him to do that would help. He has to find some other way...

Baekhyun coldly states, "Just find somewhere to hide, and don't let anyone see or hear you again. That'll do me a great favour." As the minion turns to walk away, he hears a voice call out to him.

"But Baek, are you going to be okay? Do you need my help?"

Baekhyun is about to ignore him when he realises one major problem.

Seoul... It's still very much untouched despite the transformation from humans to minions. This means that walking through the towns is going to be difficult without Chanyeol's usual help.

Well, he did it once (planting all those bananas), but he doesn't know if he wants to risk getting sore blisters on his minion feet by acting stubborn.

He silently curses under his breath. How exactly did the other minions manage?

This plan of his is not going as well as he thought it would be.

 

THE AUTHOR'S CORNER.
Can you tell that there's going to be angst coming up? Yeah, surprised right? What kind of angst can come up in such a situation? (Lol jk, it's most likely crack angst, a genre invented by Blu3Wind whom I have credited on my main page). Anyways, hope you've enjoyed this chapter. The next chapter will be more serious, if that's even possible for this story. xP
 

panda ri.