Part 10

Summer

Junmyeon had never seen Jongin like that. After he came back to the dorms, he wasn’t himself. Jongin stayed inside his room, only coming out when he had to. Junmyeon knew it had to be hard for him, but he never expected their lives to be cut off from each other completely.

Almost two years later, and not a word from Jiyoon. In her defense, he hadn’t tried to contact her either. Junmyeon could tell that this wouldn’t just blow over. Jongin wasn’t going to be himself until he had Jiyoon.

He was sure Jongin wouldn’t be okay any time soon - he didn’t expect him to be. It seemed as if fate hated Jongin and Jiyoon; every time they had each other, they slipped through each other’s fingertips.

Why couldn’t they just be together? Why couldn’t things just work out for once?

Junmyeon surely thought they should’ve. After five years of not seeing each other, it was clear to every member of EXO, not just Junmyeon, that they still loved each other. Hopefully the next time they meet, they’d be able to stay together.

What Junmyeon hadn’t expected was to run into Jiyoon just on the streets one day. He was sure she must’ve moved far away - he hadn’t seen her in nearly eleven months. He had to take a second to recognize that it was her at first. She really hadn’t changed much.

He couldn’t help but walk up to her and tap her shoulder, smiling as she turned around to face him.

“It’s been a while.” His smile fell as he realized how confused she looked. After a moment of confusion, her eyes suddenly widened and she smiled back at him.

“Junmyeon!” She exclaimed. “It has been a while.” Just as she said that, another man walked up to her, holding a small child. As he wrapped his arm around her, she introduced him, “Junmyeon, this is my husband, Kang Jaeseok, and my daughter Jisoo, she’s almost two.”

Junmyeon tried to contain his shock. Husband? Daughter? In the span of two years? That didn’t sound like Jiyoon. Especially not after she promised to wait for Jongin. He’d never heard of a man named Jaeseok before, maybe he could ask Jongin without telling him.

There was no way he could tell Jongin that Jiyoon was married and had a kid. Junmyeon was sure the poor guy would break down and never get back up.

It was just so…unlike her.

“Who’s this, Jiyoon?” Jaeseok asked, eyeing Junmyeon. He didn’t seem very friendly either.

“Oh, this is Kim Junmyeon, he’s an old friend.” She told Jaeseok with a smile. She turned to Junmyeon. “It was nice to see you again, but we’ve got to get going! Keep in touch.” With that, he watched as they walked off. He was in shock more than anything.

Was she already pregnant when Jongin came back into her life? Junmyeon shook the thought from his head. She’d had a baby with Jaeseok, after she broke things off with Jongin.

Junmyeon got back to the dorms and was surprised to see Jongin on the couch, watching TV and munching on something he must’ve found in the cupboards.

“Jongin?” Junmyeon asked.

Jongin let out a noise that Junmyeon assumed meant ‘what’.

“Have you ever met a guy named Jang Jaeseok? At any point in your life?” Junmyeon saw Jongin tense.

“Why?” He asked.

“Just answer the question, please.”

“Well…yeah, back in high school he dated Jiyoon for a year…he broke up with her because she wouldn’t have with him.” Jongin narrowed his eyes at Junmyeon. “Why?” Junmyeon scrunched up his nose.

“No reason…this guy walked up to me and asked about you. That’s what he said his name was.” After Junmyeon said that, Jongin dismissed it.

It was almost 8 PM now, Jiyoon was working at her computer when Jaeseok walked up to her.

“Come on, let’s go to bed. Jisoo’s asleep and you’ve got work in the morning.” Jaeseok attempted to reason with her. When he saw that she was barely acknowledging him, he knew something was wrong. He asked, “Is everything okay?”

“How did I know Kim Junmyeon, Jaeseok?” She asked, not looking at him.

“You said he was an old friend, that’s all I know.” Jaeseok shrugged with a sigh.

“How could he have possibly been an old friend?” She looked at him. “How could someone like that be friends with me with no actual connection? How did I meet him? Why won’t you tell me anything?”

“I have told you, Jiyoon.” Jaeseok sighed. “It’s not my fault that you choose not to believe me.”

“Then tell me the story again.”

“Jiyoon -”

“Tell me the story again.” She repeated. “Tell me how we met, how we fell in love, when we even had the time to get married, Jaeseok, I want to remember these things.”

“And you would if you hadn’t…if you hadn’t gotten into the accident that day. It was your fault.” Jaeseok’s words stung her heart, but she just shook her head.

“I just want to remember.” She ran her fingers through her hair.

“Just come to bed, okay? Staying up late won’t help you.” He sighed, holding his hand out to her. She gave him a small smile and she took his hand, allowing him to lead her to their shared room. Once she changed, both of them situated on their bed.

Jiyoon her side away from him and let out a quiet sigh. She didn’t know what was happening in her mind but she knew he wasn’t being completely honest. He pulled her close to him and his lips gently brushed against her neck.

“Jiyoon, are you tired?” He asked.

“No.” She replied bluntly, wishing he would go to sleep. Instead, his lips pressed harder against her skin and he added his tongue.

“I want you, Jiyoon.” He whispered, his hands trailing over her hip.

She immediately tensed, a dizzy feeling coming over her as she moved away from him. There was something in the back of her mind, she couldn’t see what was happening, it was all going too fast.

She nearly ran out of the bedroom, finding the bathroom quickly and attempting to calm herself down. What was going on with her?

She smelled fire, she heard herself speaking to someone else, a house she didn’t recognize - what was happening to her? She felt like someone else was kissing her neck, whispering to her that he wanted her…who was it?

Who did she forget?