A Day in the Life of a Teenage Dirtbag

Sundaes and Black Parades


It was just an average day for Im Changkyun, teenage dirtbag.

His dog Frank walked in to wake him at precisely 8:30 a.m., and with a panicked yelp he rose from bed to sprint into the bathroom. He was late again. The swish of his black flannel pants echoed off the linoleum floor of the bathroom. He had to pause to check and see if he was presentable enough to skip a shower. From the greasy bangs hanging in his face and the newly risen pimples along his jawline, the mirror said no. God must have been drunk on his birth day to have created such trash.

Changkyun groaned as he inspected himself from every angle before he hopped into the shower to vigorously scrub himself. Soon, the scent of his lavender body wash was surrounding him. Well, there were worse ways to start a day. He heaved a sigh before quickly turning off the water and climbing out. There were some black jeans and a hoodie in the pile of laundry on the floor of his bathroom, and since they didn't smell gross to him he pulled them on for school. Maybe no one would notice that he'd worn this for four days in a row. It was Friday anyway, so he'd just do laundry tomorrow. After slapping on some jet black eyeliner he deemed himself at least halfway decent, and he grabbed his ratty messenger bag before heading to the living room.

Payday wasn't for another week, so he helped himself to a bowl of stale Cheerios (dry, of course) and a glass of delicious tap water. It would hold him over until dinner time, at least. His school didn't offer free lunch; it was a private school, and if it hadn't been for Changkyun's straight A's in middle school he wouldn't even be allowed on the premises of the school. 

He glanced at the clock to see what time it was now. 9 am. He was a full hour late now. He might as well take his time. With a wave towards his dog who was sleeping on the broken down sofa, he was out the door. Hopefully his trusty skateboard would hold up until next Friday. He couldn't afford duct tape to fix it just now. At least it wasn't raining right?

The main hall was deserted when Changkyun entered, leaving him alone with only the squeaking of his Converse on the floor to accompany him. His only two friends, a freshman couple, were probably already in class. They hadn't yet learned that the first class of the day didn't really matter all that much. He hummed softly, plopping down on the bench just outside the library doors. There was only an hour or so until his lunch period anyway, so he might as well just wait rather than going to class. Missing one class period wouldn't affect his GPA.

The lunch bell soon rang, and he stood to go sit at the table he usually shared with Dahyun and Nayeon. A strange tapping caught his eye, and upon looking down he noticed that his shoe was untied. Seeing as no one appeared to be around he knelt down to fix it. Out of nowhere, another person collided with him and sent him sprawling out onto the lunchroom floor.

Changkyun immediately scrambled to his feet, ready to give this person a piece of his mind when he noticed the Italian leather shoes that had kicked him in the first place. There was only one student in the school who would be rich enough to be wearing a pair of shoes like that.

Oh . Chae Hyungwon.