A Day in the Life of Royalty

Sundaes and Black Parades

It was just an average day for Chae Hyungwon, high school student.

The maid walked in to wake him at precisely 6:30 a.m., and with a yawn he rose from bed to begin his skincare routine before showering. The swish of his blue silk dressing gown echoed off the marble tiles of the bathroom. He had to pause to admire himself in the mirror. God must have been in a good mood on his birth day to have created such perfection.

Hyungwon smiled at himself, making sure he looked good from every angle before hopping into the shower and starting to wash himself. Soon, the scent of his jasmine body wash was surrounding him. What a relaxing way to start his day. He breathed a pleased sigh before reluctantly turning off the water and climbing out. His maid had laid out a nice pair of of jeans and a black polo for him, which he immediately put on. He really ought to tip her for making him look hot everyday. Wait a minute, what was he talking about? He was hotter than tteokbeokki with or without her. Hyungwon flashed another smile at himself in the mirror before he headed downstairs for breakfast.

"Good morning Mommy, Father. What's on the menu for this morning?" he greeted his parents. His mother smiled at him while his father grunted from behind his newspaper.

Mrs. Chae reached out and moved a stray piece of hair from his forehead. "It's Friday, dear. We're having eggs benedict and rosé." Just as she finished speaking, their personal chef appeared with three plates of the aforementioned meal. Hyungwon hummed in approval, beginning to eat.

Once everything had been devoured and the dishes cleared, he stood and grabbed his keys to drive to school. His black BMW 335i sat outside, gleaming in the early morning light from being freshly waxed. Hyungwon slid smoothly into the leather seat, inhaling deeply. The serviceman had been thoughtful enough to put in a new air freshener, and it smelled heavenly. Since the sun was out, he decided to drive with the top down today. The warm September wind whipped his freshly bleached hair around, giving his hair a y tousled look.

The crowd of students gathered in the main hall seemed to part as he walked in, calling to mind the image of Moses parting the Red Sea. Chae Hyungwon was the most popular boy in the entire school, and girls swooned at his feet whenever he was near. Guys tried desperately to copy him, wanting to get the same attention that he got. As captain of the lacrosse team, all of the students knew who he was and all of the teachers gave him special treatment. He was without a doubt spoiled.

"Oppa!"

Hyungwon turned his head to see where the familiar voice had sounded from. His best friend, a fellow senior named Soyou, was hurriedly walking towards him with her high heels clicking loudly against the grubby floor. Soyou was the student body president, and the queen bee of the entire school. She ruled student council with an iron fist, and their peers often compared her to Regina George from Mean Girls. She gave him a perfect smile and offered him her arm to link with. "You look gorgeous this morning. I like the blonde hair."

He smiled in return and hooked his arm through hers, allowing the smaller girl to guide him towards their first class of the day. "I know, right? I decided to take your advice on it. It really does suit me, doesn't it?"

The two continued their chatter as they headed to their class, and the next three periods passed uneventfully. Lunch arrived rather quickly, and the pair began to make their way to their table near the windows. Hyungwon was deeply engrossed in their conversation about whether to go shopping or to go try and be seen by model scouts at the mall when he suddenly crashed into another person. Food from both of their trays went flying, covering both him and the other in various substances.

"What the hell?!"