Chapter 5

I Still...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara pushed him as her right hand flew, palms flat, striking Jiyong’s cheek, the sound resonating inside the quiet kitchen. Anger reared up inside her making her want to claw him. How dare he! How dare he touch her! Her chest looks like it’s close to bursting as she tried to keep her anger at bay but failing.

 

Jiyong’s head was turned to the side from the force of her slap, his cheek red with the outline of Dara’s hand faintly imprinted on its skin. “I deserve it,” Jiyong quietly said turning to her, not even rubbing the pain away.

 

“Yeah, you do,” Dara said with gritted teeth. “And so much more.”

 

“I’m sorry,” Jiyong apologized. The sincerity was ringing on each word but Dara doesn’t want to accept it. Whatever he’s apologizing for, she doesn’t want to accept it.

 

“Sorry doesn’t cut it,” she said her voice shaking with the anger she’s trying to contain.

 

“No, it doesn’t,” Jiyong said looking at her.

 

“Then you can keep your apology.”

 

“I’ve missed you….” His voice came out in a bare whisper as his eyes strayed down but Dara heard it all all the same.

 

Dara cannot believe this. “You have no right to tell me that.” She’s getting angrier by the minute.

 

“I don’t,” Jiyong said looking up at her again. “But I’m still saying it anyway.”

 

Now her whole body is shaking. Oh, how she hated him! “You’re 10 years too late.”

 

“But I’m still here.”

 

“I don’t give a ! There’s no amount of time that can make me forget what you did to me.” She can feel the tears welling up in her eyes now but she blinked them away as she focused on her anger. She won’t cry in front of him. She had spent countless nights wasting her tears for him.

 

“I’m not asking you to,”Jiyong said. “I don’t have any excuse. I don’t want to to give you an excuse. You deserve a reason.” Jiyong slighty shook his head. “And I can’t give you that.”

 

Dara stared at Jiyong’s eyes. It held all the sadness, the misery, the longing that she had felt 10 years ago when she left for the US hoping that he would still reach her. For any reasons. For any lies. For anything.

 

But he didn’t.

 

And all she had was the memory of the love that he had promised. And one she had blindingly believed in.

 

 

 

 

Dara tightened her sweater as she stepped out of her dorms and feel the cool night breeze whipping her face. It was only 7 in the evening and she was supposed to study for their midterm exams but she couldn’t concentrate. She had been waiting to hear back from Jiyong since early this morning. It had already been a week since his mother was rushed to the hospital and he had been nothing but a zombie everytime she saw him. One of his professors, though very sympathetic on what he’s going through, is now getting worried of Jiyong’s grades slipping and losing his scholarship in the end.

 

She’s only giving him one day. One last day. And then she’s going to call her dad to help with Mrs. Kwon’s surgery. Jiyong might hate her for that but he had to see why she had to do it. She was about to call her dad to discuss it when she received a message from Jiyong asking to meet and she had all but rushed out, worried sick for both him and his mom.

 

She strode to the courtyard near the water fountain where they agreed to meet and found Jiyong standing near it with both his hands tucked inside his jeans and she jogged over to him. He still looked tired, haggard, and he’s not even wearing a coat on this cold night. He smiled when he saw her coming..

 

“Are you okay?” Dara asked, concern etched all over her face as she studied him.

 

“Mom already went through surgery this morning,” Jiyong said, the look of relief evident in his face. “I was able to get a loan. She’s doing fine now.”

 

A breath of relief whooshed out of Dara. “Oh, thank god.” It seemed like all the stress that she didn’t know she had left her in an instant by that news.

 

Jiyong grinned as he placed his hands on her shoulders. “I made you really worried, didn’t i?”

 

Dara pouted. “Yeah you did. I mean look at you. You already look like the walking dead.”

 

“I’m really sorry,”Jiyong said pulling her slowly in his arms and Dara wrapped her arms around his middle as she breathed in the familiar scent of him. “I hate making you worry.”

 

“It’s okay,” Dara mumbled. “As long as you’ll end up being okay.”

 

Jiyong looked into her eyes with a soft smile in his face. “I must’ve done something in my past life to have you in this life.”

 

Dara tried hard not to let that sappy smile appear on her face but it still did anyway.

 

“I love you so much, Dara,” he said, seriousness all over his face now. “I promise to keep on loving you even if you get tired of me.”

 

Dara frowned then rolled her eyes. “Yeah right. There is a much bigger chance of you getting tired of me.”

 

Jiyong chuckled at that. “Let’s face it. Being inlove with a princess has its perks. Do you really think I would let you go?”

 

Dara grinned. “Yeah, I guess I see your point.”

 

 

Jiyong laughed and pulled her into his arms again. “Don’t you forget it, Dara. Always remember that I won’t stop loving you. Promise me.”

 

“Promise what?”

 

“That you won’t forget.”

 

Dara let out a little scoff. “Like I would.” She tightened her hold on him and gave him what he is asking anyway. “I promise.” If that would make him happy since he had been looking miserable the past couple of days.

 

“Love you,” she heard him whisper.

 

Dara felt Jiyong kissed her on top of her head and she smiled, perfectly contented. Little did she know that it was actually the beginning of realizing that promises are made to be broken expecially if that promise is nothing but the result of a sweet lie.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The memory had emerged, assaulting her brain as she stared at Jiyong with jaws clenched, fury brewing inside her. Seething. There is no amount of apology or reasons that can make up all the hurt and pain she had silently suffered and endured.

 

Even the hopes that she had held onto.

 

Taking a step towards him, she grabbed the back of his nape and slammed his lips to hers as she kissed him ferociously. The kiss depicted all the anger, the hurt, the longing, the hunger she had kept for 10 years. She wanted to hurt him as much as she hurt right now but she wanted it all to go away. Kissing him was her only reprieve from all these. She wanted to be free from all these.

 

But Jiyong was kissing her just as hungrily, his mouth deliciously warm and hot as it washed over her senses making her want him more. His lips slanted over hers as he pulled her closer, his hands splayed over her back as her arms automatically encircled his neck, her fingers threading through his hair as she pulled him closer. Their breaths mingled and he only lifted his head a fraction of a second to let her some air before he swooped down and captured her lips again.

 

Dara could only let out a soft sound as Jiyong’s lips sealed . His kisses are still so familiar even after 10 years but the fervent hunger in his kisses made it feel so strange and yet she couldn’t let go. She doesn’t want to let go.

 

And that realization made her return to her senses, dousing the fire that Jiyong is evoking within her.

 

She pushed him hard and stepped back away from him, her lips still throbbing, her eyes widening in horror at what she just did. Jiyong didn’t put up a fight but just stood there with his chest heaving, his hands at his side.

 

Only silence filled up the kitchen as they both stared at each other. Dara with horror and shock all mixed into one and Jiyong with nothing but an obvious longing in his face.

 

Without a word, Dara left the kitchen, walking directly to the guest room, the feel of Jiyong’s lips still vivid in her mind as she closed the door, the tears filling up her eyes for some inexplicable reasons that is connected with the rapid thumping of her heart.

 

She have to get out of here.

 

She can’t stay here another second. Trying to be as silent as possible, she went to her bed and grabbed her bag, stuffing her phone, her wallet, and her used clothes. She would return the clothes to Mrs. Kwon next time she visits. She glanced at Jennie sleeping soundly on the other bed and felt guilty for leaving them under Janey without any instructions. She’ll just send her a message.

 

She was able to slip out of the house without being detected by anybody and Jiyong probably still inside the kitchen. She should’ve at least said her goodbyes to Mrs. Kwon but she really don’t think she can speak without bursting into tears in front of the woman she had treated like her own mother. Wiping the tears that she didn’t know streaked on her face, she walked to the direction of the bus stop and hoped Lee Sung Kyung’s manager wouldn’t mind meeting her in a fleece sweatpants and a baggy shirt with a mickey mouse print on the front.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She didn’t hear anything from Jiyong after that incident in his kitchen two weeks ago. His documentary was wrapped up, she was able to get Lee Sung Kyung as a guest in The House Talk and she was able to schedule an hour guesting of the rising band, Winner, to one of their variety/talk show. It’s true what they say. Life does go on.

 

She tried hard hard not to think about him. Really, she does. But there were times when he just pop up at her most vulnerable moments. At nights when she couldn’t sleep, at dinner when she’s eating alone, inside her car when she’s going home alone or even riding the bus when she gets trapped in her own mnd.

 

She’s living the memory all over again.

 

Seeing Jiyong was a mistake. Kissing him was a failure of trying to correct that mistake. And she honestly doesn’t know how to go from there. It’s like she’s stuck with nowhere to go but back.

 

And it’s not somewhere she wants to go forward to.

 

She smiled at her dad’s secretary as she passed by her and only knocked once before entering her dad’s office. He looked up when she entered and smiled when he saw her. Time has not been really good with her dad. He had been admitted to the hospital at least five times this year for hypertension and he had lost a lot of weight. The doctor had advised him to take a rest but he still insisted in going to work. The only reason he probably had some color in his cheek was because of the mediciines he had been taking.

 

“Hi dad,” she greeted brightly kissing him on his cheek.

 

His dad frowned at her. “About time you visited me.”

 

“Aww c’mon dad. Didn’t you forgive me yet?” She sat down on the chair in front of his desk. “I had been really busy in the past couple of weeks what with new projects being pushed in my way and you know, my station manager is working on my promotion so I have to really work hard to deserve it.”

 

Her dad scowled. “Why do you even want to work when you have this company to be under your name?”

 

“Dad, I really really wanted to try living on my own two feet for a while and… I really wanted to be in the film making industry.” She had told this dad a lot of times everytime he badgers her to take over the company and even resorts into guilting her with his sickness. Not to mention his exasperation when she told him she’s quitting to be a PA that first year she returned in Korea after living and training in the US for five years. “Can’t you give me at least this year to make it on my own?”

 

“What if I get sick again?” her dad countered. “Or if I die? Who will take over the Park Industries?”

 

Here goes with the guilt trip again. “Give it to Carswell for a while.” Carswell was his faithful assistant for forty years now. “I’m sure he can handle the company a lot better than I can.”

 

“Carswell is not my blood. Though, I do feel he’s more suitable to run the company.”

 

Dara grinned. “He is. Dad, just give me this year. Once I have fulfilled my dream, i can continue your legacy.”

 

Her father sighed heavily as he leaned back in his chair. “I don’t even know what’s in film making that you’re so fixated on.”

 

“Everybody has dreams, dad,” Dara said. “I always wanted to work behind the camera and see the complexities of a three-day hard work for a 30-minute video. I really don’t know what makes it so interesting to me but… it made me feel I’ve earned my right to live in this society. And I’m not just living because I’m earning the fruits of the Denny Park’s sweat and blood. Besides, I’m doing something I really really enjoy doing.” She gave her dad a pouty look.

 

Her dad watched her then sighed loudly in defeat. “Alright. I’m only giving you this year. After that, you train again to take over.”

 

Dara grinned knowing her dad would give way for her. He always does. “I promise!” She held up her hand as she said that. “C’mon dad. Let’s go to lunch. My treat. I just got my paycheck.” She stood up with a bright smile on her face.

 

“Aish,” her dad muttered but he stood up anyway and with Dara holding his arm chattering happily about the food she will buy her dad, they strode out of his office.

 

She returned to WinKon Networks’ building two hours later when she received a message from her station manager about needing her for a project. As soon as she stepped inside the floor, she heard a loud pop making her jump and a chorus of Congratulations meeting her. Waves of confetti showered her as her teammates all crowded her.

 

“Congratulations, Dara!”

 

“Congratulations!”

 

“What?” Dara asked in confusion looking around before her station manager gave her a name plaque with SANDARA PARK and underneath it says WinKon PRODUCER.

 

formed an O as she looked back at her Station Manager. He really did work through her promotion. And really fast too. “Oh my god!” She shrieked, happiness filling up as she jumped and hugged her station manager who was caught in surprise but then patted her on the back.

 

“You deserve it,” he said.

 

And she alsmot felt like crying because she suddenly felt so fulfilled now. As it happens, a tear escaped from her eyes and she happily wiped it away as she jumped up and down with Bom and the rest of her team.

 

“Your office would be ready by next week so you might have to endure being at your desk for a couple more days,” Bom told her which Dara could only chuckle at because she really doesn’t care about having her own office space anyway.

 

Of course, having a promoted staff means a celebration. The station manager had ordered a lot of food for her promotion and she felt so touched that her station manager had gone out of his way to do this for her but she realized that after having him call on her in the wee hours of the night to run after a celebrity or going through crowded places to get a manager’s attention in another town, she really does deserve it. Her station manager had run her ragged since she started working for him.

 

She was eating happily wth Bom and Jennie sorrounding her on her cubicle when Jennie told her, “They’re done editing Kwon Jiyong’s documentary. It’s scheduled to show on Friday night. Do you want to see it?”

 

Dara’s eating slowed down and she met Bom’s eyes but they didn’t say anything. “I don’t see any reason why I should. That’s Janey’s project.”

 

Jennie shrugged. “You had a lot more insight than Janey. And besides, I would’ve thought you would be interested since he’s your ex.”

 

Dara choked on her meat getting stuck on her windpipe and Bom handed her a glass of water looking amuzed. Turning beet red, she turned to Jennie. “What?”

 

Jennie rolled her eyes. “Please. Anyone with a brain can see you were the ex. Jackson and I had been talking about that and we just didn’t say anything because you don’t look like you want to talk about it.”

 

And here she thought she had been very successful in concealing their relationship.

 

“Actually, the only person who’s probably dense and blind enough not to notice you guys had something going on is Janey and the director probably doesn’t c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter