Chapter 6

Love is .......

 

 

                      “This is my friend’s son. He is about the same age as you and he is also a manager at his father company. I will set the date for two of you Chaeyoung” her father is talking to Chaeyoung while showing the good looking guy picture. Chaeyoung is a not even looking at the photo and she wants to explain about what she wants to say but nothing comes out and she is just sitting silently. Her father looks at her and talks “Chaeyoung..you know that you cannot do what you are thinking right? …I help you to think chaeyoung.. You have to choose one of two people… your girlfriend or your mother?? That’s it” Her father said and throws the photo on the table roughly and he is just about to leave but his eyes met with his wife who is just standing at the door with confused face. He sighs deeply, sits on the sofa and waiting for the storm. Meanwhile Chaeyoung got shocked from her mother shouted question.

Chaeyoung’s mother   :   Girlfriend?? What is that chaeyoung ?? I need you to explain everything about it right now *chae’s mother is shaking because she was shocked and very angry*

Chaeyoung  :   Mom ..you need to take a rest . Your health is not still in good condition. I will explain everything later plz.  *Chae is begging her mom she feels like her head is dizzy and she just want to disappear from the world right now.*

Chaeyoung’s mother    :    *controlling her anger and speak one word  by one word slowly * No.. explain now

Chaeyoung  :    Okay mom..I  I have a girlfriend and her name is Mina , she is Japanese. We met in Japan last 1 year ago. After that she followed me to Korea and continues study at there. When I come to here, I requested her to take a break time of the relationship and we took agreement to meet after this. *Chaeyoung not even up her head once and explained everything with a fear that her mother will happen something*

Chaeyoung’s mother just laughs like no soul in it and that scares Chaeyoung a bit.

Chaeyoung’s mother  :   after this ?  After I died?  *she just looks at her daughter with angry eyes*  I don’t need a cancer to die , just you having a girlfriend makes me to die right now. You know that I have a homophobia. Seeing the same gender love makes me fire up and wants to kill both of them. You know that Chaeyoung?? You know that I have a painful past about those damn homouals. At the end, they will just leave you for another person; you are used just for a while.

                               Chaeyoung knows what her mother is talking and heard that story every single night. The story is when chae was just a child; Chaeyoung’s uncle (Chaeyoung’s mother younger brother) was married with his lovely girlfriend and got a son. They were just living happily until something comes to fragment their happy family bond. That something was her uncle run away with his male driver and left the message to his family that he is a gay since childhood and he was just pretending that he likes girls and happy that he got married. That’s all become because he just did not dare to go against with his parents. But this time he found his love and will try to find the real happiness together and never come back .And he asks for the forgiveness. His wife and son also go back to her family after he run away with his boyfriend .Chaeyoung’s grandparents was so angry and decided not to forgive him until that day that her uncle came back after 6 months that he run away. He becomes a totally alcoholic and saying that he was heartbroken cause his boyfriend left him by taking his money and got married with another girl. Until now her uncle stays with her grandparents and still being an alcoholic. Starts from those days, it’s not even surprised to see that her mother has homophobia. That even affected Chaeyoung but when she met with Mina, she has no more homophobia and loves her so much but she still has a fear that Mina will leave her one day.

        Chaeyoung’s thought to the past disappears by her mother’s emphatic order and she can just reply with a painful tear. Her father is not talking at all and silently looking at his daughter with a deep sad face like I’m sorry that I cannot help you.

Chaeyoung’s mother   :   Son Chaeyoung …break up with that damn girl right now, get a date with the guy who your father was showing to you and just get marry soon…… *mother her daughter’s cheeks and wiping the tears* just get marry with a man…my daughter…

 

Saturday’s Evening

Nayeon’s POV

 

                “Ya just eat the last one already…we cannot be late for our karaoke night.” Nayeon impatiently scolding her best friend to eat the last fried chicken faster. Today is the Saturday night and they made a plan to have a karaoke night cause they haven’t done for a long time. Jeongyeon as usual just taking a bite of the last one relax and making Nayeon wants to swear at her.

Jeongyeon   :   People will think that the karaoke night is the big party if they heard you. How can we be late when we are the only ones who going to karaoke?

Nayeon   :    “Why do I have a stupid one like you in my friend list? People will be crowded in weekends. And I will be afraid that there will be no more room left for us…..hello hey Mina” ..Nayeon gives the bill nagging Jeongyeon and about to get up but she hears the phone rings and it is from Mina so she answers it.

Mina  :   Unnie are you free tonight ? Shall we hang out??

Nayeon looks at Jeongyeon who is pretending that she is not interested in what they are talking. And she knows what she should do for Jeongyeon.

Nayeon  :   “ah..actually Jeongyeon and I are going for karaoke . You should join us, it will be fun. Only three of us will be there.” Nayeon invites Mina. She just ignores her wish that she wants to be only with Jeongyeon but to see her love smile; she can give up her wish.

               They meet at the karaoke and get a room. Jeongyeon is just looking at Mina and taking care of every little thing about Mina since they met. Mina also smiles shyly and enjoying each other existence and forgetting that Nayeon is still there. Nayeon just orders the alcohol and she starts to sing a song called “to him” by Jimin Park pitifully (ps: Nayeon even said that this song got her feeling in vlive long time ago).     

 “…………I didn’t even want to travel around the world…but the day I saw your bucket list, my dream became to travel the world………I really changed so much to be your ideal girl…….I listened to the song that you said was so good…I try to be the person you want, but I’m not, I can’t ……the girl you talked about yesterday likes hip-hop..she likes cats too….is she the girl you dreamed of?........ I’m not your ideal girl…..after forcing myself to act this way…Now I’m not the girl..And I’m not even myself……I’m becoming someone who is nothing to you……………..I don’t really like hip-hop…..I don’t really like cats too………..Actually actually….I, I just like you…..”

 

              Jeongyeon is not looking at Nayeon but she still can hear her pain and she knows something but her eyes still cannot keep away from Mina. She wants to punch herself that why does she feel so attacked by Mina’s beauty and every movements; even her shy laugh. Jeongyeon feels like she got the hypnosis from Mina.

                 After the karaoke, Mina says bye and goes back to her house. Jeongyeon walks Nayeon to her house. Jeongyeon glances at Nayeon and thinks that her friend is drunk.  So she offers her the piggyback to home. Nayeon smiles and accepts her offer and get on her tall friend’s back. But Nayeon knows herself that she did not take any shot and she is stone-cold sober right now but she got drunk by jealously and seems like a drunk person. Nayeon is memorizing her joy being with Jeongyeon, her body scent and every moment they are being crazy together. She is getting ready herself that if Jeongyeon leaves her one day. She will just stay behind with her memories and imagining Jeong’s smiles.

Nayeon   :   You know Jeong? We are staying under the same sky together, even if we are apart, we are still staying under the same sky. So, I think the sky doesn’t give a that we love each other or not, she just makes us to feel like we are under the same sky so we close to each other. But the real thing we need is Love..only love can make us to feel close or apart. If we love each other, even though if we living in different worlds, our love makes us to be just one person. But if we do not love each other, even though we are face to face and doesn’t matter how much we close, there will be no soul in it. I feel proud of myself that I just found out this kind of genius theory. Now I wants to sleep jeong ..send me until my bed thanks ..I feel sleepy..

Nayeon just casually sleeps on Jeong’s back. Jeongyeon is just carefully without waking up Nayeon walking back to Nayeon’s house.

 

Mina’ POV

 

                      “ Under the same sky means we are still together Chaeyoung…if you are looking at the moon right now I think that the moon will say Son chaeyoung your beautiful girlfriend is waiting for you….you should go back to her faster” Mina laughs at her own thought. But soon she feels guilty that she remembers that she just flirted with Jeongyeon this evening. The more she is hanging out with Nayeon and Jeongyeon, the more she understands that Jeongyeon is showing interest in her. She knows by how Jeongyeon treats her because she used to get those kinds of treatments from Chaeyoung. Nayeon unnie is sharp and protective friend meanwhile Jeongyeon is kind and soft person. The reason she flirted back this evening is she got drunk a little bit, when she sees Jeongyeon she remembers Chaeyeong and she want to change from Jeong’s sad eyes to happy and sweet eye smiles.

Mina knows herself that she is being apologetic to everyone and she cannot look at someone’s sad eyes. And she knows that her smile can make Jeongyeon’s days brighter and take away her sorrow for a while. So she always wants to do that for Jeongyeon but she is also afraid that she will be sending her wrong signal that she is falling for her. She decides that she will talk to her about Chaeyoung soon and makes it clear even though that will hurt Jeongyeon. But if she did not tell, Jeongyeon will get hurt more when Chaeyoung appears suddenly beside me. And then Mina’s phone rings.

Mina   :    Hello ….hey chaeyoung …long time no talk with you…how are you ?? is everything alright?? *Mina even got teary eyes that she is very happy chaeyoung calls her*

Chaeyoung    :       Mina I will say very short one and you have to accept that ….Mina I’m breaking up with you..*Chaeyoung lost her voice at the last word*

Mina   :   no why charyoung ?? no you cannot do that to me.

Chaeyoung   :    …………..

Mina     :       I am sorry that if I do something wrong and whatever the breaking up reason……Please give me one last chance Chaeyoung please…..

Chaeyoung   :   No, Mina….soon you will be leaving me behind ..that’s why I’m breaking up with you.

Mina  :   Chaeyoung now you are the one who leaving me first …you are just accusing that I will be leaving you..why you being so stupid right now chaeyoung?? I feel very tired of explaining your nonsense reasons…but let me ask you, can you live without me??

Chaeyoung   :    …………..* her brain is working but not cooperating with her heart*

Mina   :    You cannot live chaeyoung…you are just lying to yourself….so just give me one last chance and just come back to here please.

Chaeyoung looks at her mother while talking with her girlfriend on speaker mode. Chaeyoung’s mother saw full of hope and sorrow in her daugher’s eyes. The way she looks at her makes her mother to remember her uncle when he asking her permission to let him to run away with his boyfriend. She replies with a nod to her daughter and she turns around but she still can see her daughter smile among her tears.

Mina  :   thank you Chaeyoung… I will never leave you…I miss you already …are you coming back soon??

Chaeyoung   :   Mina this time ….no only me but my mother also will judge you …so you better behave        and yes I’m coming back soon………