Chapter 4

Love is .......

7 years ago (1year just before Jeongyeon’s parents are divorced) …

That time Jeongyeon is only 10 years old. At first, Jeongyeon’s family was the happy family during her life time. But one day, the uninvited guest came to their family. That was her mother’s ex-boyfriend but for her mother he is not ex-boyfriend, he is still her boyfriend.

The story is that Jeong’s father and mother got married because of their parents’ arrangement. That time Jeong’s mother has the boyfriend but she cannot disapprove her parents’ tough decision that asking her to break up with her boyfriend and marry to Jeong’s father. That’s why she separated with her boyfriend but not breaking up. She gave him the promise that when the time comes, come back to me, I will follow you and we will leave everything behind. Then her boyfriend went to the overseas and she married to Jeong’s father. Jeong’s father loves her so much and takes care of her. But she wasn’t happy at all and always tried to run away but she got pregnant and gave a birth to Jeongyeon.

When Jeong was born, she starts to be happy because of her daughter and she starts to take care of Jeong’s father. Jeong’s father was happy that her wife finally starting to give attention to him and take care of him. He lost his worry that his family will separate but when Jeong become 10 years old, his worry appears again. Because his wife’s ex-boyfriend visited to their house as a friendly visit reason. After that day, her so called friend came to their house almost every day. Even when he is at home, her friend still visits, greet him a little bit and asking his wife that ‘are you ready to go out?’ and they both went out together. Jeong’s father just sits at the couch and sadly looks at them going out. He did never stop them because he is afraid that his wife will be sad. He wants to give her enough freedom because he feel sorry that she gave her time and life to him and their daughter. And he trusted his wife that nothing will happen. Jeongyeon’s mother knows that what she doing is wrong, she should stop and stays with her family but she can’t. She still has the feeling for him and as long as she talks and hangs out with him reminds her of every memories

But one day, he was so busy that he has to sleep at the office. When he called to his house to inform that he will not be back tonight, his wife picked up the phone and tell him not to worry about anything and say take care. At the phone call ends, he smiled alone that his wife said him ‘take care’ because during his married life, his wife never showed the concern. Next day morning, he went to the company what is held at the N hotel. And he saw the scene that he wishes never want to see. For other people, there will be like the near middle aged couple who just married and linking each other hands lovely. But for Jeongyeon’s father, the scene was like got fired up alive. But he just calmed down and went for the meeting.

 

Night at Jeong’s house

 

Jeong’s father is helping his daughter to set the legos. Then Jeong’s mother comes back and she is kind of drunk. She smiles that saw them playing together, Jeongyeon saw her and comes to hug her but she stops on the way when her mother talks to her.

Jeong’s mother  :  Jeong…it’s time to go to the bed.. wash up & go to the bed okay?

Jeongyeon  :  Yes mom…

Jeongyeon went to her room but she forgot to take her legos back then she goes down to take back. But at the corner of the stair , she heard her parents are talking so she just sit there and listens silently.

Jeong’s mother  :   You saw everything today right?

Jeong’s father  :  What are you talking about darling ? I don’t understand what you are saying. 

Mother   :   Don’t pretend that you are stupid. You know everything. Come on ..just be angry at me …shout at me…and   slap me please… *she holds his hands and put on her cheek to slap her*

Father just her cheek and say it calmly.

Father  :   You did not do anything wrong so I cannot slap you. *smiling*

Mother  :   No..you have to be …I am not even a good wife to you and good mother to Jeong. And …I just slept with another man…  *she talks slowly and trying any word to hurt his heart and make him angry*

Father looks at his wife with no facial expression.

Father  :   When I say I love you , I really mean it. It won’t change forever. Whatever you do, I will still love you. Just don’t leave me please. Don’t ask me for divorce. *he says calmly but it’s obvious that his voice is shaking and he is ready to kneel down whenever she starts to talk about divorce.*

Mother  :  *she got fired up*.. You are just unbelievable…just divorce me please ..let me leave you and Jeongyeon. Let me go with him please.

Father  :   It’s okay if you don’t love us anymore but please don’t leave us.

Mother  :   it’s not that I don’t love you anymore ..I never love you and I will never..the whole time I was just pretending and I am very tired please just let me go *she is begging from her tears*

Father just leaves and go to upstairs and see her daughter sitting there.

Father  :   hey jeong..let’s go to the bed..I will tell you the story  *he piggybacks her daughter and goes to her room and he feels that she is heavy but not the body weight , he knows that she understands everything what happened and he doesn’t know what is running on her mind*

Jeongyeon looks at her father blankly like she is waiting for the story but she is not, she just want to ask some questions.

Jeongyeon  :   Dad …can I ask you some questions?

Father  :   Okay baby..what do you want to know?

Jeongyeon  :   Why you don’t let her go ?

Father knows that her questions will be about their problems but he doesn’t mind it because his daughter needs to be clear about it. She has the right to ask him.

Father  :  Cause I love her. The way I love her is strange Jeongyeon ya not like other people. The way other people love is like can leave their love if he/she is happy. It’s okay that they don’t see each other and it’s enough that they know they love each other. But for me, I don’t mind that she loves me or not but will be happy if she loves me. I just want to own her. I don’t care whatever she is doing and everyone talks about it. I’m just okay that she stays beside me and her relationship status is with me. I don’t want to care about she is crying almost every day that she wants to leave me and run away. Because if I care about it and allow her, she will never come back then I will die. So, I just let my tears fall down and feel my heart pain seeing her crying.

Jeongyeon is still thinking about her father is right or her mother is.

Jeong  :   but dad ..isn’t it hurt both of you?

Father  :  Jeong I am totally selfish  person. I did my best to own her even though she did belong to someone else. I did fight for her. And when she was with me, I tried my best to see her smile, happiness and joy. Did you ever see that I’m shouting at her or argue with her? Never..cause that’s the best I can give it to her and all the time I’m ready to kneel down if she starts to fight with me and find the reason to leave me. You know Jeong?

  “I just want to keep her in my pocket all the time and never give up to lose ”   

Father thinks that her daughter is sleeping so he put the blanket over her daughter, kiss her foreword, switch off the light and leaves. But Jeongyeon is not sleeping at all. She just closing her eyes shut and imagining that if her mother leaves him, what will happen to him and all she see is her father is dying and she falls asleep.

Starts from the Next day, her mother is trying her best to get the divorce. She goes to the court and discuss with the lawyer with the help of her boyfriend. She is not even staying at her house since that day. Meanwhile Jeong’s father is just living in his normal life and not even prepare anything. Jeong asked her dad that you said you will fight for your love but I don’t see u ..why dad? Her father said relax, my life will never leave us cause I gives up everything for her so she will concern and will just come back home.

But after the court day, she wants to tell her father that dad you are wrong, she is leaving us but she did not cause she did see her father locked himself inside their bedroom. That time, her mother is with her and telling her to stay healthy and grow up well. She cannot hear what her mother says clearly but she saw her mother smile that she never see before and will never see again.

She found that her father’s bedroom door is opening then she go in.She thought she will see her father dying just like inside her imagination but she didn’t ..and she see is her father is talking to her mother’s photos and paintings what are hanging all over the room. Inside the room, she see her mother’s things like clothes and items, she even feel her mother’s scent it’s like she is still staying with them.

When she is wondering the room, her father saw her and talks smiley.

Father  :  Jeong ..your mother say that she wants to go out and have dinner with us. Get ready jeong. *talking to her daughter while combing his hair and being ready*

Jeongyeon changes clothes and see her father is sitting on the couch and waiting .

Jeong  :   Let’s go dad.. I’m ready.

Father  :  okay ..wait your mom is not ready yet.. *calling his wife* I think she needs my help ..wait ya jeong *he gets up and go to their bedroom*

Jeong feels like she not understanding anymore. I don’t see mother around and not hearing her voice but she hears like her father is talking to someone. When he comes out, her eyes got wild cause what she seeing is her mother’s large painting like the size is over her height.

Jeongyeon  :  Dad ..what is this ? where is mom??

Father  :  You must be hungry ..what are you talking about this is your mom ..look at her..isn’t she gorgeous. I choose this dress for her. .*and turns to the painting and talks sweetly* hey darling .. today just go to your favourite restaurant, your daughter and I don’t mind. We like whatever you like. Right Jeong?

Jeongyeon is very confused and want to ask to stop doing nonsense but she can’t. Her voice never come out cause she can see her father’s sad eyes within his smiles. And she doesn’t want him to feel like her mother is not really with them.

One week after that her father is getting worse that even his company is afraid of him and our neighbour as well. But I did not leave him. Now I’m getting used to him talking with non-alive painting, laughing pointing at the painting touching the painting and even dancing with the painting. There were more and more her mother’s paintings and at least one painting is always with him all the time.

And there is also one family who is their neighbour never leave their side. They are always with them since the problems happen. That is Nayeon’s family. Nayeon is being friend with Jeong since they were 7 years old that they moved there. And Nayeon’s father is the psychiatrist and he keeps checking on Jeong’s father. He is the only person left talks friendly with Jeong’s father and secretly gives him treatments. But what they all did not notice is Jeongyeon’s behaviours getting to change.

 

Nayeon’s POV

 

At the middle school, there was the break time so Nayeon, Jeongyeon and some classmates are playing together. And Nayeon noticed that Jeongyeon was staring at somewhere so Nayeon looks at what she is staring. Then she saw one of the classmate is playing with his robot toy. And Jeongyeon still staring at that then she asked her why you keep staring at that thing , and if you want it ,we will buy after school.

But Jeong reply still staring at.

Jeong  :   That is pretty. I love it and

                “I want to keep that in my pocket and never give up to lose”

Nayeon  :   Okay ..we will buy like that, we can get even prettier one.

Jeongyeon  :   No, I just want that even if other things r prettier.

Nayeon did not want to argue with her then she just ignores her and continues playing.

The Next day at school

           On the way she walks with Jeongyeon to school, she saw her playing with the robot exactly same like the guy’s one from yesterday. But she did not ask about that she is busy eating snacks and she think that Jeong bought the same one. As soon as the class starts, the staff from headmaster’s office came to the class and walks back with Jeongyeon. I was worry that Jeongyeon still not coming back from the office. When the break time starts, she was looking for Jeongyeon and she saw her doing sit up in front of the headmaster’s office. She seems like her legs are shaking but she is still doing it. Nayeon asked about what happened but Jeong did not answer but say one thing “don’t give my robot back to others even they ask” Nayeon cannot understand the situation and then she saw Jeong’s father come out from the office holding the large painting then she asks Jeong’s father what happened.

Jeong’s father  :   Nothing important Nayeon . She just wants the toy from that guy and asked to give her but the guy say no and don’t give it to her. Then she got angry and punched him 2 times and took his toy. She did even tear with her nails. That’s pretty bad for him but I am glad that she got that toy that she wants …*and look at beside and talks to the painting* ..right Sweetheart?..our daughter is doing good job that she fight for what she wants ..she is indeed our child.. bye Nayeon ,she is just doing her punishment …thanks for taking care of her. I need to send your aunty to hair salon…she say she want to get hair massage. *and leaves , Nayeon just looking at him ..seeing him like that is funny for her but she cannot even smiles cause she can see the sorrow behind those smiles.*

After school, Jeongyeon cannot even walk that her legs are so hurt so Nayeon went back to her house first, takes bicycle, comes back to the school and goes back to their houses with Jeongyeon by bicycle.

After some times Nayeon just forgot that case assuming like normal fight and never discuss about that with her parents. But when the school holidays start, the similar case like before happened.

          Nayeon visits to Jeongyeon’s house to play and she saw Jeongyeon is talking with something in the kitchen then she goes to near and saw that was the cute puppy and Jeongyeon was feeding that pupy. She thinks Jeongyeon just got the new puppy present from her father. Nayeon got allergic to dogs so she stays away from them and goes back to the living room and waits for Jeongyeon and she saw Jeongyeon goes up to her room holding the puppy soon she hear the lock sound then she saw Jeongyeon coming down holding her room key.

Nayeon watching TV and asks Jeong.

Nayeon  :  You got yourself the cute puppy and ignore that your friend has allergic to the dogs. Now I can’t go inside your room.

Jeongyeon just ignore what Nayeon said

Jeong  :   Sorry Nayeon, I cannot play with you today. Let’s play tomorrow.

Nyeon  :   Me too , I have to visit to my grandparents today . I came here to say let’s not play today. I brought some snacks for you and I will bring more from my grandparents.

Then they hear the barking sound from Jeongyeon’s room and Jeong just runs to her room without saying anythings. Then Nayeon just went back to her house. Nayeon heard that they got new neighbour who just moved at the opposite of jeongyeon & her houses last week ago but she haven’t meet them but today she saw some people from that house are looking for something and she is about to ask but her mother called her to get hurry and she just went back to her house.

The Next day when her family was back from grandparents’ home, the new neighbour that I met visits to our house to introduce themselves and talked about that they lost their dog yesterday early morning and they still cannot find it. As soon as she heard dog ,she remembers Jeong’s puppy and wondering that what Jeong will feed the puppy and thinks that next time I should bring some snacks for that puppy too. After the neighbours went back, her father asked her that she should inform them if she see any puppy wondering around.

Nayeon  :   Dad ..I have allergic to dogs right??

Father  :   yes nayeon ..why ? do you want puppy?

Nayeon  :   No like that dad …cause I cannot go to Jeongyeon’s house

Father  :   why??

Nayeon  :  she got new puppy dad..

Father  :   her father bought it for her or herself??

Nayeon  :   I asked that too but she did not answer back.

Father thinks something and asks her daughter how the puppy looks like

Nayeon  :  The puppy has brown hair, eyes are so pretty and a little bit small.

Then Father calls the new neighbours’ house phone and hear that asking how the dog looks like and then he just end the call and asked me to stay at home and not to follow him. So, Nayeon just looks at his dad and the new neighbours went to Jeongyeon’s house. After that day, she never see that puppy again at Jeongyeon’s hous but at the new neighbours house. Then she asked her dad that is the puppy the new neightbour’s lost one and he said yes and explained her that Jeongyeon saw their dogs wondering around and took to her house and looking for the owners then we went to her house, she just gave the puppy back to the owners. After that happened, Nayeon’s father tried to talk to Jeongyeon friendly and asked about her daily life and feel free to tell him if she got any strange feeling. And she even noticed that her father gave Jeongyeon some medicines and ask Nayeon to make sure her friend take medicines he gave. But she did not know is that Jeongyeon got the new puppy doll in her bedroom and even talks with that. And soon the neighbours’ puppy was lost again and cannot find everywhere even in Jeongyeon’s house and Jeong says she don’t know…and the dog was never found again…..