Stay By My Side

I'll Be Your Light

You gave him a gentle nod and the two of you popped into the car. Once we arrived to the usual quiet spot alongside the Han River, Junhyung threw on a black cap and black mask before getting out. 

Hand in hand, we walked along the river. Words were not exchanged but you felt as if simply remaining by his side was the best comfort you could provide. 

The lights from the building reflected on the water and the night sky sparkled with stars. The warmth of his hands warmed up your heart and you were thankful to be able to stand by his side.

 

 A small tug on your hand pulled you back from your thoughts. The two of you stopped for a second when Junhyung broke the silence. 

"I'm sorry" He said looking directly into my eyes. 

"Pabo-ah! Why are you apologising to me? You did nothing wrong!" The second our eyes met, I knew he felt guilty about everything that has been happening. It frustrated and worried me that he would always blame himself, even for things he could never fix. 

"I know you've been worried. I'm sorry for worrying you. I didn't bring it up to avoid that, but in the end made you worry more. To the point you asked Kikwangie for help. I know that you hate asking for favours." He mumbled away looking at the distance. 

 

"Aniya. What are you talking about? You gave me an excuse to talk to Kwangie oppa" I said with a smirk trying to lighten up the mood. 

"YAH PARK JAEWON! How many times do I need to tell you to stop contacting him privately" He turned his head around, jealousy written all over his face. 

You couldn't help but laugh at his reaction. No matter how many times you used this trick, it would always work. Well it was true after all. Before meeting Junhyung, you were a big fan of Beast, more specifically Kikwang. You adored the way he eyes turn into half moons when he smiled, showing the most angelic look. But at the same time, the charisma that shone from him when he was dancing on stage was almost like he was a different person. Kikwang's innocent and naive personality was something you wanted to cherish, and his soft vocals melted your heart. Junhyung knew this well, or more like, you forgot that your phone screen was Kikwang when he asked for your number. And from day one, he was jealous of Kikwang and wanted to keep you as far away from him as possible. 

"Now that's the Yong Junhyung I know and love" You said was a smile! 

Junhyung looked at your with a soft bitter smile and pulled you to his embrace. 

 

Before heading home, we stopped by the cafe to pick up a drink. I came out with an iced americano in one hand and a hot chocolate in another. When I got to the car, I realised Junhyung was no where in sight. Confused, I was about to reach for my phone when I saw him walk out of the convenience store with a bag in his hands. 

I heard the clanking of the cans hit against each other and knew that he bought some beer to take home. 

 

I looked over at him in the lift with his black cap, black mask, holding a cup of coffee and a plastic bag of beer, I dazed out thinking about the first day we met. He was dressed in similar attire holding exactly the same thing. He brought me back to my senses by asking what I was laughing at but I brushed it off quickly. Despite talking it over, I know he was still in a bad mood. The fans were important to him and he is hurt hearing that from people he loved. 

 

Back in our apartment, I put some snacks into a bowl and left it on the living room table for him to snack on with his beers. I decided to leave him alone so he had some time to think to himself. 

I was folding some clean laundry when a familiar name flashed on my phone and a smile was brought to my face.

Tiffany, my best friend whom I have left in Australia. The girl who I have known for almost 20 years of my life. She was basically my other half, she knew me better than I knew myself.    

 

"Hey Tiff! What's up?" I picked up the phone happy but surprised by the sudden call. But what surprised me more was her response. 

Crying, her words were mumbled by her sobs. "Gaby! Make him... Make him stop"

"What's wrong babe? What happened? Make who stop?" Flustered by her sudden cry for help, I panicked.

"It's all our memories, I don't want them all gone. You need to stop him. Please" She said crying. 

At first I thought she might've had a fight with her boyfriend, but she explained further. 

 

"What is my Junhyung doing? Can't you stop him? You need to stop him" She sobbed. 

"Huh?! Junhyung?" I said, looking over to the man sitting on the couch with his phone in hands. 

"Wait babe, you need to let me know what happened. I have no clue what you're talking about" trying to calm her down. 

Her sobs died down, confused that I haven't caught on to what her beloved idol, my boyfriend is currently up to. "He's deleting all his Instagram posts. Every single one of them. Every time I refresh his profile, more photos are gone. He's already deleted over 200 posts" She cries in despair. 

"Okay, I get it now. Babe I have to call you back. I need to go check on him" I explained over the phone. 

"Yep, go!" She sniffled over the other end. 

"You got to stop crying Tiff! I'll make sure your bias is okay! I promise" I reassured her. 

 

I walked over to the couch and looked over to Junhyung. He looked up and made eye contact before giving off a bitter smile. Then looked back down to his phone, deleting each post, one by one.  

"Are you sure you want to do this?" I said softly while looking at the empty cans of beer resting around the table. 

"I'm not drunk" He replied, knowing exactly what I was thinking. 

With that response, I accepted that that was what he wanted to do and leaned into his lap while he continued deleting the photos.

 

An hour later, he finally reached the last photo. After clicking on the last photo, he heaved a sigh then looked down with a face of slight relief. 

I got up from his lap and sat next to him. "You've worked hard oppa. Please remember you still have many many fans by your side" 

"Only fans?" He questioned. 

"And the members" You replied teasingly, knowing that was not the answer he wanted to hear. 

"Oh is that all?" He stared into your eyes, making your heart skip a beat. 

"And me. I will always be by your side" I said blushing, quickly giving him a quick peck on the cheek. 

"Saranghae Jaewon-ah" He whispered before pulling me into a kiss.