Chapter 3

I Miss Her

I woke up with the sunlight hitting my face. I groaned. I’m so tired and I’m not in the mood today. I had a fight with Joy yesterday, and now I had to do something about it so it won’t affect me and my hyungs. Ahhh… I am not in the mood for a press con.

“Sungjae…” Eunkwang-hyung called. I covered myself with my blanket. I heard my door room opened and someone blocked the sunlight. I also felt hands grabbing my shoulders and shaking me.

“Sungjae…” Minhyuk-hyung called out while shaking me. I groaned. This couple needs to leave me alone.

“Sungjae!” Changsub-hyung shouted. And I heard chaotic noises in my room as Peniel-hyung, Ilhoon-hyung, and Hyunsik-hyung came into my room. I sat up, annoyed. Minhyuk-hyung laughed at me.

“You should have woken up when it was just Eunkwang and I.” He said. I shrugged.

“You should have left and locked the room. I thought you could take the hint that I don’t want to wake up yet.” I said sarcastically. Minhyuk-hyung and Eunkwang-hyung just laughed at me.

I looked at them, they all looked… happy. Might as well say, they look excited.

Suspicious, I asked, “What is going on?”

They all laughed and sing. Then Peniel-hyung said, “We’re spoiler kings but you should figure this one on your own.”

Okay… what was that about?

“Come on, prepare for the press con already.” Changsub-hyung ordered. I sighed and did as they told as soon as I pushed them all away from my room. When I was done with all the prepping, I went out of my room and was greeted by the manager.

“Are you ready?” He asked, “You know what you’re supposed to say right?”

Honestly, I don’t. But my company and the managers have always trusted me to answer as I deem fit, and I don’t think I have ever answered anything that caused too much trouble, so they continued to let me just wing it.

“Yes, hyung.” I said as I followed him out. Before I was out I heard my members calling me out and wishing me luck while grinning at me. What is wrong with these people?

As we were heading to the presscon, I keep trying to focus my thoughts on what I’m supposed to say but the events yesterday just kept bugging me like crazy.

‘You’re not even trying, I hate you’ Ahhh… why am I recalling these useless things. I should just focus on what’s at hand. I need to do some damage control. Why am I getting angry?

I know.’ What does that even mean? What does she mean by she knows? That she didn’t try hard enough as well? What the heck?! And why does she look so hurt? And why am I even bothering with all these?

“Sungjae.” My manager called. I looked up, a little dazed. He sighed, “I was worried. You weren’t answering me after I called you a few times.”

I smiled, “I’m okay hyung. Ahhh… we’re here.” I was trying to divert the conversation but I realized the dread I had when coming here at the tv station for the conference. Still, I smiled, trying hard not to make my hyung worried.

I went down the car and quickly went inside with my manager. I saw where the press conference is, there’s a lot of people already; automatically I pulled my best self forward. But manager-hyung grabbed me and dragged me someplace else.

“Hyung, where are you taking me?” I asked. Suddenly, I am in a room, filled with people, famous people in the industry. What the heck? Then suddenly, my eyes landed on her.

What is going on?

“Sit down, Sungjae.” SM Ent President ordered. I didn’t even realize he was there. I sat down, still confused. I looked at my manager for an explanation. Mr. Lee, SM Ent President, interrupted the silence in the room.

“Since all of us are now here, I think we should start.” He started. Then he looked at me, “Sungjae, you do know how much ruckus you and Joy caused yesterday.” I nodded. Normally, Mr. Lee isn’t that overpowering but seriously… he’s scary right now.

“You deliberately met with Joy. How long has this been going on?” He asked, rather menacingly. Or maybe that’s just me.

“We only met that one time sir,” I explained. He looked at me with scrutinizing eyes.

“Let’s not kid ourselves, Yook Sungjae.” He said. I gulped. But that’s the truth; I feel the need to defend myself and Joy.

“Let’s not scare him,” My Company CEO said, “We’re not here to interrogate them.” Mr. Lee sighed.

“The news about you and Joy are all over the place; it’s everywhere. Damage control is not applicable anymore. We have to face it a different way. Do you both understand?” Mr. Lee asked.

I looked at Joy. She’s still quietly crying beside her company president. I am still confused as I look at my own company CEO. He just encouraged me to go on. I have no idea what that means. Looking at me, Mr. Lee sighed again.

He explained, “Rather than denying the rumors, we will fan the flames. We did our research, and there’s not a lot of hate for both you or this loveteam, luckily, so this will be more manageable if you both admit that you’re in a relationship.”

What??

“Sungjae,” Mr. Park, my company manager, started, “We will do more damage on both of your image if you deny it. Admitting will be better, especially since the both of you will star in a drama anyway. This will boost the ratings of the show as well as your images.”

“But we’re not in a relationship, sir.” I reasoned. ‘Isn’t it lying if we admit to something we are not?”

Mr. Lee looked at me with sharp eyes, “Does that even matter? Once the public decided that you’re a couple, you’re a couple. That’s that…”

“But-“

“Oppa, I think we should just give in.” Joy said; it was her first words for that day. I protested. “There’s nothing we can do, ppa. If we deny, we’ll get more hate. People will keep pushing us to admit. And it’s not like I’m a bad choice, right?” She smiled, weakly.

Surely, Joy isn’t a bad choice for a girlfriend. She’s hella fine. Anyone will be lucky to be his boyfriend. But I have long accepted that I am not that person. But why now is this happening? I sighed.

“So what’s our story?” I asked, defeated.

XxXxX

“We’ve been dating shortly after our We Got Married ended.” I smiled. Flashes almost blinded me, but I continued to smile from ear to ear. I’m not sure if I should be feeling this, but I am genuinely happy to be in this situation with Joy… even though, these are all just lies. I looked at Joy, and Joy looked at me too. She was smiling. I wonder how true her smile is.

“We weren’t sure if we should tell everyone that we’re together.” Joy explained, “We were scared that people might not like us. We were actually so scared yesterday when people saw us. We didn’t know what to do.” She laughed, and then she looked at me before she gazed back to the audience, “But now, seeing everyone congratulating us and praising us, is overwhelming. I am so sorry for not trusting everyone before this happened.”

One reporter stood up and said, “Many fans are ecstatic that you both admitted your relationship. So what’s the next step for the both of you? Any wedding bells again soon?”

Joy and I laughed. Wahhh… I can’t believe I am really laughing with Joy again. This sounds so nostalgic… and so homely.

“Ohhh… You might.” We laughed again, “Joy and I will be starring in movie and drama soon, so look forward to it.”

“How is it like to be working together again?”

“We’re both so happy to be working again with each other. We’ve wanted to work again since our WGM ended. We’ve been on the same stage and the same place before yet we weren’t able to showcase our feelings for each other. Now, I can do what I have always wanted to do.” Joy looked at me, and he touched my cheeks. I froze, just like before. Then we both laughed.

“I guess, Sungjae is still the same as ever.” One reporter commented.

“He’s just shy. He always has been. He likes keeping things to himself.” Joy answered, and then she laughed, “I’m sure right now, Oppa is having a breakdown in his head. He’s not sure how to handle me when I become this forward.”

I sure don’t. Maann… Joy… Joy is so different. I mean she’s the same as before – radiant, kind and pure. But… she seems more confident now, and different. I mean, she can tell a lie now with that pretty and innocent-looking face. I wonder, what else has changed.

“How did you two get together?” One asked. “When did you realize you like each other?”

I smiled and looked at Joy, “I don’t know when. But I guess, I’ve always liked Joy even before we met.” Joy shyly looked down, I wonder if she really did that sincerely, “I mean, I watched her performance and I’ve always said she’s so beautiful.”

“Ehhh…” Joy reacted, she was laughing at me, “You like noonas so for sure, you like Irene-eonni.”

I laughed, “No…” I protested.

“As for me, I liked Oppa ever since they debuted. I think it was obvious back in our WGM days, but I am a Melody.” Joy laughed, I looked at her surprised. I didn’t know this. I know the President said we can make up our story as we go, but this is just too much. Is this real?

“I really liked Oppa’s voice. And I love their songs… I know every word and tone by heart. Then he got casted in School 2015, and I become even more attracted to him.” She laughed again, “I loved that Pterosaur screech.” Everyone laughed, even I did.

Then she looked at me and held my hand, I stared right back at her and squeezed her hand. “But I think I came to really love Oppa during our time in We Got Married. I came to see how reliable, kind and loving he is. He matched my personality well too. And I just… wanted to be with him more and more.”

What is this?? What is this?? Is this still acting. Sooyoung-ah, what are you doing to me?

“Thank you.” I said, and I kissed the back of her hand that was holding mine. Gosh! What am I doing? “Even though I lack in so many things, you came to love me and fill those gaps. Thank you. I love you too.” I said sincerely. Then we laughed.

“Whooo… what’s with that serious atmosphere earlier?” I joked. Everyone laughed.

The managers then broke the laughter and apologized to cut the presscon off. As we were escorted out, Joy clung to my arm. I looked at her surprise.

“They’re still looking.” She explained, I saw the audience still looking at us and I followed Joy’s lead… like always.

“You did great Oppa.” She said, then she murmured, “Sorry.”