Jongup: Just My Luck

money got the world going

Y/N wanted to curse whatever was up in the sky and responsible for her getting her menstruation the day before she was set to leave for her trip to Germany. She could only imagine how wonderful the flight would be. Moreover, she would have to use the plane's toilet, which she absolutely hated.

And, as if her strike of bad luck just hadn't messed up her life enough, her maid had called in sick, which meant she had to go to the pharmacy herself  and get her tampons. While she was bleeding. 

Was this karma for that one time she was too lazy to bend over and pick the old lady's purse? She didn't know. 

But screw whoever decided that this would be her punishment. 

She wasn't ashamed on getting the pack herself, but she had to hurry or else she would stain her pants. 

Y/N crossed the street towards the pharmacy, checking to see if there was anybody around. Fortunately, not a lot of people were around in her neighborhood at 8AM on a Saturday. 

She slowly opened the door, wincing when the bell chimed at her entrance. Taking a deep breath, she walked directly towards the aisle where she knew they usually stored the tampons. Her steps were hurried, probably arising suspicion from the staff because as she was about to enter said aisle, she heard a voice.

"May I help you?" 

Y/N turned around to face the boy. He was dressed in casual clothes, but his hair was styled perfectly. He was incredibly handsome and usually Y/N would try and strike up a conversation, but right now there were greater forces to please.

So Y/N shook her head, slowly backing with her face towards him, just in case her period didn't cooperate. However, it seemed that the boy didn't get her "I'm bleeding out of my private parts please go away" face, because he only took a step forward.

"You look suspicious." He admitted, confirming Y/N's earlier thoughts.

"I'm not." She responded calmly.

"That's what a thief would say. Are you planning to steal some..." The boy looked around, noticing what aisle they were in. "Hair-dye?"

Y/N stopped dead in her tracks, looking around. This was supposed to be a completely different aisle, but it seems that the manager had decided to rearrange the pharmacy. Noticing her lost gaze, the male took another step forward, making Y/N flinch.

"Please, stop. I don't need any help." She said. Why did she feel as if she was about to cry? 

"You look lost." He commented. "I can assume you're looking for something that used to be here? Maybe I can help you?"

The girl jumped a bit, the frustration eating her alive. Couldn't this boy just leave her be? The pharmacy wasn't even that big, she could surely find her way around.

"No, I'm fine, really. Thank you." Y/N put her hands in front of her and continued backing from the guy. He eventually nodded and shrugged, leaving her be. She sighed in relief, turned around and started wandering through the store. 

Every now and then, she would sneak a glance towards the boy, who now stood behind the cashier machine, typing on his phone. He was truly something to look at and Y/N didn't know if it was her hormones going crazy, but her stomach felt as if it was being turned upside-down.

Eventually, she did find the right aisle and took a pack, putting it under her arm. She made her way towards the checkout when she realized cute-boy was the only person currently in the store.

Y/N stopped in her tracks. She truly wished she would have been the kind of person not to get flustered when a male scanned her tampons, but unfortunately she was very shy and emotional. 

Taking in a deep breath, she bravely stood in front of the cashier. The guy looked up, confused. Y/N placed the pack on the counter, looking away for a second.

Cute-guy looked at it, then back at Y/N, looking dumbfounded.

"Yes?" He asked, voice unsure.

Y/N weakly gestured towards the pack, not wanting to mutter a word. Cute-guy looked at it again and raised an eyebrow. 

The girl stomped her foot slightly, frustrated at him. Couldn't he just scan the goddamn thing and end her pain? She felt like suffocating.

"Could you just-" she started, pointing at the pack.

"Just?" He asked.

"Just, do it. End my suffering." Y/N mumbled, but apparently the guy heard because he let out a heartfelt chuckle.

Her heart was going to explode.

"I'm sorry, miss, but I don't understand what you wish to get from me." He said. Was he purposely playing dumb to annoy Y/N? Because he was a good actor then.

"Just scan the stupid tampon pack." She growled, already getting angry.

Realization seemed to dawn upon the boy's face, then he started laughing like a madman. Eventually, he calmed down and gestured a "no".

"Ah, no, you've got it wrong." He said. "I don't do that."

"Shouldn't you be working?" Y/N snarled, just wanting to get out of here.

He smiled at her, leaning over the table a bit.

"This is a misunderstanding," he started. "I don't work-"

"Yes, I can see that!" Y/N screamed, slamming her hand against the table. "But I don't care how lazy you are. I just want the goddamn tampons pack so I can go home. I'm bleeding out of places that shouldn't be bleeding and I'm very, very pissed! So scan the bloody thing."

The boy blinked for a few seconds at her sudden outburst, but then got the pack and scanned it, not making eye contact again. He placed the pack in a bag and tried to hand it to Y/N, but dropped it when her hand was close, too scared to touch her.

"3.21$" he said quickly.

Y/N slammed a 5$ bill on the counter, took her pack and exited the pharmacy, not even bothering to take the change or look back at the scared man.

***

"Did you pack your charger?"

"Yes, mum."

"What about your toothbrush?"

"Yes, mum."

"Towels?"

"Oh my god, yes. And even if I didn't, it's not like I can't afford to just buy another one." Y/N sighed as she adjusted the glasses on the bridge of her nose.

She was going to Germany to spend time with her father in their vacation home. Her parents usually had business in different countries, which meant that Y/N had to fly out to spend time with them.

Her maid took her hand luggages, bringing them closer to the young girl. Y/N took one of the jackets her mother had put out for her and kissed her on the cheek. A voice rang through the airport, signaling that her flight was boarding.

"Text me when you get there!" her mother said, waving at her as she went to check in.

Y/N waved back at her mum and her maid, then went through the scanner quickly. After picking up her things, she made her way towards her section. Fortunately, her father had gotten her a first class ticket, which meant that Y/N wouldn't suffer as much as she would have thought. Her family was not overly wealthy, they had just started making money from their businesses a few years ago and were still settling into their new lifestyle. It had its ups and its downs, Y/N had to admit.

She made her way through the small corridor of the plane, stopping before her seat. There was someone already seated at the window, which was a bummer because Y/N had always loved sitting there. 

After putting her luggage above her head, Y/N sat down on the comfortable chair, glad to see that it wasn't too cramped. She had taken some pills earlier today, but she could still feel a small ache in her lower abdomen and her back. 

Honestly, why did her period have to come the day before her flight? That was the worst way to spend eight hours above the ground.

"Oh, I know you." A voice sounded beside her and Y/N quickly turned towards the person speaking.

To her surprise - and in great irony - the person sitting besides her was no other that lazy cashier boy.

"Are you stalking me?" Were the first words to leave Y/N's mouth, despite her best thinking.

The boy threw his head back laughing and Y/N thought he was very pretty.

"No, not really. My name is Jongup though, nice to meet you, again." He extended his hand towards the girl and she gladly accepted it, shaking his hand and introducing herself.

"What are you even doing here?" She asked, intrigued.

"Isn't it obvious? Flying to Germany." Jongup answered.

Y/N raised her eyebrow.

"Does your pharmacy job pay that well that you can afford first-class tickets?" She questioned further, turning her body to fully face him.

Jongup looked confused for a second, then slightly offended, then amused. 

"I do not work at the pharmacy." He explained.

"What were you doing behind the cashier then? Were you stealing?" Y/N's eyes widened at the possibility of having helped him.

"My family owns the shop, among others, I was just passing by." Jongup then proceeded to take out a card and show it to Y/N. Sure enough, there was the Pharmacy's name.

Y/N felt dumber than she usually would feel. The boy had tried to tell her at the time, but she was too focused on getting out of the shop to listen. Her cheeks flamed red at the embarrassment.

She started apologizing, but Jongup only waved her off.

"Ah, I get it alright. You were on your period and everything."

Y/N nodded, glad that a boy could understand her frustration.

"How are you feeling?" He suddenly asked, seemingly concerned. "It must be horrible flying like this."

She could only approve his words, sighing and throwing herself back in her chair. Truth be told, she hoped that she could fall asleep and just wake up when they landed. 

"It is." She admitted. "I feel like dying."

Jongup then opened his pack and looked for something. He took out a pack of gummy bears and gave it to her. Y/N felt like crying out of gratitude, she did feel the need for something sweet. And gummy bears were so, so precious. She sighed in content and accepted it, thanking him.

"My mum complains a lot, too. I learned how to handle it." He explained. "We should try and keep your mind off of it during this flight, right?"

Y/N stopped from her chewing to look at him.

"We?"

"Well, we are stuck next to each other for eight hours and I would appreciate if you would not go off at me again."

"Fair enough."

"And perhaps," he continued sheepishly. "I could get your number afterwards, if I do not anger you."

Y/N's eyes went wide again, surprised that such a nice guy was actually interested in her.

"Sure." She smiled. "But only so I can return your pack of gummy bears."

"Of course, only for the gummy bears."