Himchan - Wine Isn't Made For You To Drink It

money got the world going

"Drinking good wine with good food in good company is one of life's most civilized pleasures." - Michael Broadbent

That was the quote Himchan had learned by heart, the one he would always recite when people asked him about his odd interest in wine. Except, Himchan did not drink it. 

No, he only collected it.

And Himchan didn't drink it in anybody's company. 

He put it in his basement, he kept it there. He also never had company, except maybe one of his cars. Which he also collected.

His friends found it quite weird, but he didn't really care. If Youngjae had his musical thing and Yongguk had his strip club obsession, then he could enjoy his wine and cars without having to explain himself.

Unfortunately, lately he hadn't had time to go looking for any of his addictions. He had been caught up with school, studying hard to pass.

Some would say it was his fault for deciding to attend Yale, but really it wasn't his choice. His father had paid the headmaster into accepting him and overlooking his not so great grades.

He was stressed and symptoms of withdrawal were starting to show.

So after considering it for a while, he got up from his desk, changed from his grey polo shirt to his blue polo shirt and headed out.

Himchan stopped in front of the key drawer, looking at them, before settling with his new blue BMW, as it matched his shirt.

It was Sunday and Sunday meant another day where he played golf at his uncle's club while stalking one of the girls that came to play there as well.

Himchan hated golf. He REALLY hated it, he thought it was boring and a waste of time, but the girl had caught his interest when she strode in with her yellow Porsche and for the first time, it wasn't the car that attracted his eyes.

He had heard her friends call her Y/N. It suited her, he thought it was a beautiful name.

She seemed to come from a good family, but Himchan could only assume, as he had never had the courage to talk to her.

Today however, that was gonna change, he was going to man up and at least introduce himself.

Y/N sat near one of the golf course, looking through her bag. She didn't understand why her friend liked this game so much.

"Sanha, what's that stick thing called again?" she asked, looking at them with bored eyes.

The boy turned around, his face carrying confusion.

"The- the what?" he asked, unsure.

Y/N only pointed at the fourteen sticks that were packed neatly into his bag. Sanha wanted to slap himself right there, right then.

"They're called golf clubs, Y/N"

"Isn't the place we're at right now called a golf club, though?" she asked.

"Well, yes but-"

"But wouldn't that be confusing? Imagine if someone said that they had ten golf clubs. The person they're talking to would think they own actual buildings, but in reality, they only owned ten sticks."

Sanha could only blink at her.

Y/N turned around sighing. She raised her phone in the air but, as usual, she had no signal.

"Your dad should really try and improve the signal at his club." She told her friend, but didn't bother to wait for the answer as she already started heading towards the cafe near the entrance.

It was pretty hot outside and she needed a drink. Sanha could surely handle a few sticks until she came back.

As she sat at one of the outside tables, Y/N spotted a blue BMW driving through the front gate by no other than Kim Himchan.

Of course, nobody at the club could not know who he was. He came in every Sunday, always with a different car, his wine-like hair shining with too much hair gel. 

She had seen him around a few times and as much as she found him attractive, Y/N didn't exactly have the best opinion about him. He seemed stuck up, the type of person who never had to work hard for what he had.

He was probably the richest person in the neighborhood and while Y/N was not far off, her family had worked ever since she was born for it, while Kim Enterprises had been passed from generation to generation in Himchan's family.

He was a student at Yale, but never showed any interest in it, he was never grateful for it.

It might have been quick judging on Y/N's part, but Kim Himchan was everything she hated. 

As he slowly got out of his car, the staff around Y/N slowly started murmuring words of admiration. He ran his hand through his hair, as if he thought he was in a movie and started walking towards the cafe entrance.

Y/N saw his eyes wander towards her and knew it wasn't the first time. He had been watching her for weeks. As much as Y/N wanted this fact to bother her, she was a bit flattered.

He stopped in his tracks for a second, then smirked and started making his way to her table, walking as if he owned the place.

And then he tripped.

The staff started laughing and Y/N had to hide a smile behind her glass. The boy now had cheeks as red as his hair. He seemed quite embarrassed and that made Y/N smile even more.

He got up and stumbled toward her table, head down. 

"Could I perhaps sit here?" He asked, his voice small.

Y/N raised an eyebrow at him, twirling her glass. So he was finally gonna introduce himself?

She nodded, gesturing toward the seat in front of her. He sat down, finally looking up and Y/N understood once again why so many of her friends were smitten with him.

"To what do I owe this pleasure?" She asked. "Not every day does one have Kim Himchan stumbling and tripping in front of them."

Himchan was taken by surprise when the girl said his name. Sure, a lot of people knew him, but the girls that did always tried to get with him.

"There are no other tables." he said out of panic.

Y/N looked around only to see that they were the only ones in the cafe. Himchan once again was embarrassed.

"Your cheeks are burning." She noted.

He raised his hands to his face and sure enough, he was hot. In more than one way.

"So" he cleared his throat "how do you feel about wine?"

Y/N giggled. She couldn't deny that the boy wasn't as arrogant as she would have expected.

"I do like my fair share of wine, why do you ask?"

Himchan starred at her, the only thing going through his head being "don't say anything stupid! don't say anything stupid! don't say anything stupid!"

"I collect wine and cars."

Y/N blinked a couple of times. Was this how Sanha felt when she said something stupid? Because the secondhand embarrassment was killing her.

"That's-that's something." she answered after a while.

Himchan seriously wanted to punch himself. He had waited for weeks to talk to this girl and now he was making a fool out of himself.

"What is your name?" he asked.

"That's usually what people start a conversation with, you know. It's Y/N."

"I'm Himchan."

"We've already established that, yes."

Himchan put his head in his hands. This wasn't going all that great. He felt like a stupid, love-struck teenager. It might have been the stress that made him lack any kind of neurons right now, but it was still embarrassing. Y/N, however, found it cute that she made him flustered. 

"Look" he sighed, finally getting over his existential crisis. "I really like you. I've been coming here for weeks just to see you, despite the fact that I hate golf with a burning passion. You're nice, you're pretty and I really want to go out with you, so could you please either accept or decline because I'm kind of dying of embarrassment here and I also would like to never step foot on a golf course again."

The fact that he managed to say that all in one breath impressed Y/N. She was taken a bit aback by how forward he was, but then again, it was Himchan.

And if anything, the way his confidence kind of lacked when it came to her showed that his feelings were to be trusted. So she smiled and nodded.

"Sure, I would like to go out with you."

Himchan threw his head back in relief, only to hit it against a wall.

Fast forward a few months, Himchan and Y/N are still dating. They stopped going golfing a while ago, both sharing the same hatred towards the sport. Their friends can't really stand them together, but since they're practically glued to each other's side, they have no choice.

"Drinking good wine with good food in good company is one of life's most civilized pleasures." - Michael Broadbent

Fortunately, Himchan now has company when he eats and drinks. He no longer has to cry in the backseat of his car about that, does he?

But he still doesn't drink wine.

No, those are for keeping. He collects them.

Though he suspects that if Y/N were ever to ask, he would gladly pop open a bottle for her.