The Answer (?)

Let's Fall in Love Again

Here's Part 2. Comment down your guess to Sunggyu's reason of leaving ^^ I hope you enjoy reading~

xx

 

A series of loud knocks woke Woohyun up from his deep slumber. He groaned and cursed at whoever it is that disturbed his sleep.

He stretched out his limbs before getting out of bed, sluggishly dragging his whole body and feet towards the door. He was rubbing his eyes and yawning when he opened the door.

 

"Whaddyowandisearlymownin?!" He mumbled out as he tried to stifle a yawn again, causing his eyes to close a bit. His yawn was cut off by a familiar laugh.

 

"You're still cute when you just woke up."


He doesn't need to open his eyes to know who the person was. He'd recognize that voice anywhere. He made a move to slam the door but the other person was quick enough to get inside his room.

"You know this is trespassing. Get out before I call the security."

He said passively, all signs of drowsiness now completely gone. He raised his eyebrow when the other man made no attempt to move.

 

"That's it. Im really calling security n-"


"Wait." Sunggyu holds his wrist when he turned to get the phone. "At least let me explain."

 

"And after your explanation, what do you want to happen huh? Do you expect me to be moved to tears and forgive you? Do you expect me to declare undying love for you like in all the movies and books i used to like? Because no, Sunggyu. It won't change anything. Your explanation doesn't really matter because in the end, it all hurts just the same."

 

Sunggyu was appalled and frozen to the ground. He didn't expect his sweet puppy to become this fierce. Where was his Woohyunie who forgives him for all his faults without even needing an explanation from him? He stood fixed on the ground as he contemplated on what to do next.

"Get out now Kim Sunggyu. Or do you really want to be manhandled by the security?"


He heaved a deep sigh and said,

 

"I'm sorry, baby."


He saw how Woohyun flinched at the use of their old endearment.

Sunggyu looked into his eyes and said once again,

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry if I was too weak back then but I promise. I will not back down now. I won't stop fighting for you, for us. Even if you keep pushing me away, I'll still come back.

Because I love you. You are my home and I know. I know you still love me too. So I will not give up. I'll come here again and again and apologize over and over if that's what it takes for you to come back to me."


As soon as he said the last sentence, he felt a sharp pain on his right cheek.


"Screw you Kim Sunggyu. How dare you want mw to come back to you when you were the one who left? And you said I was the drama queen between us two? Well, screw you because you're being overly dramatic right now. Go!!! Go out of my life like you did before and never come back again. Leave. Because that's what you do best, right?"

 

His words sting but it was also the truth, Sunggyu thinks. He was the one who left. He was the coward. He was the drama queen. But that wouldn't stop him from chasing Woohyun again and again.

He took a step back, two and when he was about to turn around, he paused and looked at Woohyun straight in the eyes and promised, 


"If you run, I'll chase you. If you hide, I'll find you. And if you never come back to me, I'll just hunt you down. Baby."


He then opened the door and walked out of his apartment, leaving Woohyun shook at Sunggyu's words of promise .

-------


The sky is blue and the sun is shining brightly which is a stark contrast to Woohyun's mood.
He scowled at the bowl of cereal in front of him, as if scolding it for the unexpected appearance of Sunggyu earlier this morning.


"Ya. Why are you staring daggers at the poor cereal? I can vouch for its innocence. It's not a cereal killer." His stupid bestfriend laughed jovially at his own stupid joke.


Woohyun then lifted his glare from the bowl to the man beside him, which immediately shut him up, muttering apologies.


He was in a foul mood because his day did not start right. He has a lot of plans to do today, each and every one of those do not include Kim Sunggyu's surprise 'visit'.

Upon remembering the scene earlier this morning, his anger rose up again causing him to stab the poor innocent cereals with his spoon, effectively sploshing some of the milk in all direction including Dongwoo.

He then huffed and stretched his hands on the counter and laid his head on his arms. He heaved a big sigh. This is not him. Hating someone isn't his feat.


"Being angry is tiring Dongwoo ya. I don't wanna do this anymore. But.. But I can't think of any other thing to feel or do when I think about that Kim Sunggyu. It's frustrating."


His bestfriend looked at him, and once again started his 'lecture'.


"You know Woohyunie, I think I know the reason why you're holding on to anger, even if you don't really want to."

He paused for awhile, gaining momentum and was very much appeased when Woohyun raised his eyebrow, signaling him to continue. He then cleared his throat and continued,


"The thing is, when you think you don't love a person anymore, you tend to hate them. You tend to be angry at them. But that's not the truth. Anger or hate is still a part of love. You can never hate someone you don't love Woohyunie. Hate is when you love the person but you run out of reasons to fight for it because you're just tired. Or maybe because you've had enough. But not enough to stop loving that person though.

Hate, by all means, is not the opposite of love. Indifference is. When you stopped caring about someone, that's when you know that love has ceased. That love has died. On your part however, you try to cling onto anger because you're too afraid to admit to yourself that you really still love him. Even after all these years."

Woohyun was silent. Hopefully he was listening because Dongwoo is really really serious right now. What he was about to say next may be viewed as him siding on the enemy but Jang Dongwoo is a man who likes to see the good in all people, that everyone should be given the benefit of the doubt.


"Nam Woohyun. What is Sunggyu really has a reason for leaving? What if it is a matter of life or death? What, stop looking at me like that! We never know okay? Anyway as I was saying, I have known Sunggyu and I've seen you fall in love with each other. I know how much he loves you and for him to leave you like that is just so confusing that I'd like to believe there really must be a good reason for him to do that.

 

This is not me siding with him but all I'm saying is that, you know Kim Sunggyu even more than me. He's hurt you and I am a witness to how much empty you were when he was gone. Yet you know who Kim Sunggyu really is. You know what type of a person he truly is. So it's really up to you Nam Woohyun. If you're giving the guy a second chance or nah. Just please...hear him out. Maybe, just maybe it will help you decide."


When Dongwoo finished, he looked at his best friend who is now wearing a teary eyes. He hopes everything he said has taken roots to his best friend's stubborn head.


Woohyun took a deep sigh and smiled at him,

"Thank you Dongwoo. You really are the best. I'm so happy to be friends with a genius fool like you. ㅋㅋㅋ But seriously though, this getting angry and not forgiving is a game I'm not willing to play. It's tiresome and bothersome too. I'll try to do what you said. But don't expect me to forgive him right away, that is, if he has a valid reason for leaving me 3 years ago."


Dongwoo smiled. That's good enough for him. Seeing Woohyun trying to look at the bright side, not angry nor sulky, is the best sight he's ever seen in such a long time.


'I hope you really find your happiness Woohyunie. And I know your happiness starts and ends with Kim Sunggyu.' he smiles as he  hugged his bestfriend tightly.

*Few days later*


Woohyun was at a supermarket shopping for food to stock at home when he felt a pair of eyes watching his every move. He quickly glanced at the direction where he felt it came from but ended up looking at a row of canned goods.

Ugh I'm being paranoid. Stupid stupid

He then continued walking through the aisles looking for the food on his list. He was focused intently on weighing which is better, peaches or mangoes when he inhaled a familiar scent.


The scent brought him a sense of nostalgia and he was in tears when he heard footsteps coming his way. Even with his eyes closed, he'd recognize that scent anywhere.


"Woohyunie... My baby woohyunie"


The other person who is now in front of him is choking on their own sob. He refused to look at the other person and instead opted to cast his eyes downwards. 


"I miss you. How are you my baby?"


The endearment broke his heart in a million pieces and as he started to lift up his head, he was enveloped by a warm hug. A hug he missed for the last 3 years that they were apart.


He hugged the other person back while crying.


"Ssshh baby. It's alright. Mommy's here now."

-------


After their dramatic meeting at the supermarket (and after Woohyun paid for hid grkceroes , theyy went to a nearby café and ordered caramel macchiato for the both of them.


They sat in a corner table and Woohyun's mom held their hands tightly together, afraid of not getting to see his beloved son  again.


"How are you doing?" His mom broke the silence.  She smiled a sad smile at Woohyun who is also sporting a teary eyes.


"I-I'm fine. I guess." He squeezed his mom's hand when he felt he was about to cry.

 

They have not seen each other for 3 years since that day. Even though his mother doesn't want him to leave their house, he was way too humiliated and pained to stay in their neighborhood.

 

He moved in to the apartment that he was supposed to share with Sunggyu, which is their first step before they take their relationship to the next level. However, it turned out that he will be all alone in that apartment since Sunggyu left him.


His mother reached out to his face and wiped the stray tears that flowed on his cheeks.

"I'm sorry my baby. I'm sorry if I wasn't able to do anything to help you or even to convince your father to understand you. I'm sorry. I'm the worst mother for letting you be by yourself without doing anything in the best of my ability."

He wiped his mother's tears and assured her that it's okay and he understands. She sniffled and then gripped his hand tightly again.


"You know you can always come back home, right? Your father misses you." He flinched at the last sentence and huffed.

 

"Now he misses me? Wow. Did the world turn upside down? First Sunggyu comes back and now my father misses me? Ha! The Fates must be laughing at me right now."

 

His mother sighed. She looked at him intently.
"It's been three years. Of course he misses our baby. No matter what happened in the past, I believe he has gone past that and accepted your fate. He really misses you Woohyun. Please come back home."

Woohyun slowly retracted his hand from his mother's grasp. 

"I'm sorry mom but I don't think I can call our old house as home anymore. That place holds too much pain for me. I can't live there anymore. Not now. Not ever. Anyways, it's good to see you again Mom. I really missed you. But I don't think we should keep in contact. The old man might find out and lash out on you."


He then stood up and bent down to kiss his mother's cheek. He hugged his mom tightly and then said his goodbye. 


His mom watched Woohyun walk away from her. Her phone rang and she smiled a small smile as she read the caller's ID.

"Yes, I met with him. He's still stubborn...yes even with me. Sigh. You're our only hope. Please bring us back our baby. Thaw his frozen heart. Please, Sunggyu-ssi."

She heard the man on the other line promise his son's safe return to his normal self and she heaved a sigh.


Good luck, Sunggyu-ssi. May the fire of your love melt down Woohyun's wall of ice.

 

Three years ago...


"YAH! NAM DONGHYUN! NAM SUNGKYUNG! GET YOUR FILTHY SON OUT OF YOUR HOUSE NOW!"

The neighborhood was shocked to see a strange man yelling in front of the Nam Residence. The said man was red all over the face and his veins are popping out of his neck.

He banged the gate continuously which effectively gained all the people in the neighborhood's attention. 

"YAH! I SAID COME OUT! I NEED TO TALK TO THAT FILTHY SON OF YOURS! WHERE IS HE? WHERE IS THAT RASCAL NAM WOOHYUN?!"


By this time, the neighbors are forming a group of circles and started murmuring among themselves. The Nams are the kindest family in the neighborhood so it was really a shock for them to see someone going off and causing ruckus in front of their house.

They shoot a worried glance towards the family who ran out of their house to face the yelling man.

The man of the house, Nam Donghyun, was all composed except for his red ears and spoke calmly.


"What do you need with my son? And why are you even shouting? We're not a family of deafs."
Despite this, some neighbors who heard Donghyun's intro snickered. That was sort of funny, they thought.

 

The man ignored Donghyun and swept his eyes to look for a certain young man. When he spotted the man who was standing next to his mother, he stalked towards him and held him by the collar of his shirt.

 

The said young man was surprised and fear was also written all over his face.

"That's right. Fear me. I bet you already know who I am right? You can't not know the father of the guy you're ing right?!!"


Woohyun's eyes widened even more and now his fear isn't from the man himself, but from his parents' reaction to the older man's statement.

 

"What the hell are you talking about? My son is a man and he will never be in a relationship with another guy. You must have mistaken him for another person. Now if you please, just let my son go before I call the police."

 

Even after everything, Nam Donghyun still maintained his composure. Woohyun's mother on the other hand, was shocked and was covering with her hands.

 

"Do you really think he's a man? Does a man like another man? Does a man kiss another man? Does a man have with another man?! Tell me, Nam Donghyun. Is that what a man does?!"

The spectators, along with the Nam family, was shut silent. 


Woohyun was barely moving and fell on his when Sunggyu's father let go of his hold on his shirt. He was frozen on his spot as he thought of how his parents would react in everything that the older man will say.

 

"This 'man' right here", he said as he put air quotations on the word man, pointed to Woohyun and then continued, 
"Is a gay. He is a disease to this society and it is only today when I learned of how he infected my precious son with his disease.

He manipulated my son and made him believe that it was okay to be gay. He screwed with my son and now my son is saying stupid things like it was love. 

 

"You, boy! Are nothing but a . Don't come near my son again and bewitch him with your words. And you," the older man now pointed at his father's expressionless face, 


"You did a poor job in raising your son. You should send him in an asylum or a monastery to cleanse him off of his filthy disease."

 

Woohyun was about to cry when he noticed how his father was reaching his limit of patience. However, he kept his cool and asked the man to leave, along with the  neighbors who flocked to watch the show.

 

The older man had the audacity to grin at his father and bow down to the people milling around, as if to signal that the show is over.

 

Before he left however, he looked back at Woohyun and said,

"Don't you ever come near my son ever again. God knows what I'll do to you if I find out you're out seducing him again."


With that, he walked away from Nam Residence.

 

Nam Donghyun guided his quivering wife inside their house and sent his son a glare that says a lot of things.


Woohyun gulped as he followed his parents inside the house. Just when he closed the door behind him, he felt a sharp sting on his right cheek.

"Explain."


His father commanded. Despite cowering in fear, Woohyun confessed how everything was true. That he was a gay and have been dating someone secretly for 7 years. He saw how his father's eyes lit up in anger and stormed on his room.


He was shocked when his father came back with some of his clothes on his arms.


"Take this and leave. From this day on, I never had a son. How dare you go out screwing other men?! You're a disgrace to this family. Now scram! And don't ever come back here again."

 

He was left speechless and he turned to his mom for help, but she was just standing there behind his father, tears freely flowing from her eyes. She couldn't do anything against his father, and he knows it.


He sends a smile of reassurance to his mom and picked up his clothes that were strewn on the floor. 


"Alright, I'll leave. But once I'm out of here, don't expect me to come back knocking on the doors because I won't."

He went up to his room to gather some more clothes and his important things, his laptop, cellphones and all his personal things that can fit inside the bag. He then went down to where his parents are and faced them.

"I'm sorry Mom if I disappointed you. I'm sorry. I love you." He hugged his mother tightly and reluctantly let go.

"This will be the last time I'm calling you Dad. You don't deserve to be called one after this since you put more value on other people's thought than your own son's feelings." He said the words with as much venom as he can.

His father stood with a blank expression and then Woohyun left with a sad but a very stubborn heart.

-------------


He called Jang Dongwoo, his bestfriend and asked him if he can stay at his apartment, since their apartment's key is with Sunggyu and he thinks he shouldn't call the elder as of this moment.
He stayed at his apartment for 2 days and profusely apologized to Dongwoo for freeloading. 
Dongwoo didn't mind, of course. They're best friends and that's what they do, help each other right? 

Woohyun missed Sunggyu so much. He hasn't called the elder and the elder hasn't called him either. He was worried for him. He wonders where Sunggyu is right now and how is he doing.


A surprise came on the doorstep on the 3rd day of Woohyun's stay in his bestfriend's apartment. Kim Sunggyu was standing outside the door, looking uneasy and worried. When he saw Woohyun opened the door, he enveloped him in a tight hug and kissed him on the temple.

 

"God. I missed you so so much. I'm sorry. I'm sorry I couldn't be there when you needed me. I'm really sorry baby."

 

Woohyun's heart clenched at the helplessness in Sunggyu's voice. He patted him on the back and murmured reassurances to him.

 

"I'm sorry for what my father said to you and your family. This was all my fault. I wasn't careful enough. He had his suspicions before so one day he sneaked into my room and investigated my phone while I was on the shower. He saw our messages and also our photos together. He even went as far as reading my diary and the love letters you gave to me. I was too careless, too complacent. I left all those in plain sight and now look at you."


Woohyun tried to stop himself from crying but to no avail. Sunggyu kissed his tears away and held his face so they're staring at each other's eyes.

 

"They want to break us apart baby. But I won't let them. You are already a part of me and I won't let them take you or me. I promise I'll fight for us baby. I promise I'll protect our love. I will never give up on us no matter what. That's a promise."


He finished with his lips kissing Woohyun's nose. He smiled as he nodded fervently, and said "I promise to fight for us as well."


Sunggyu let go from the hug and kissed Woohyun on the lips. The fact that they haven't seen each other for almost 3 days intensified their longing and was shown on the fervor in their kiss.  When they let go, they were out of breath.


Sunggyu placed his forehead on Woohyun's and smiled at him lovingly.


"Let's go home, baby." He said as he showed Woohyun the key to his apartment.

 

Woohyun moved in that day and they lived like a normal couple. They're both professionals right now, Woohyun a licensed teacher while Sunggyu is an accountant.

Woohyun would cook their breakfast in the morning and they'd go out together on their way to work. Most of the time however, Woohyun goes home earlier especially this audit season where accountants like Sunggyu are barely even leaving the office.

One night he waited out for Sunggyu's return, expecting him to be home earlier since the audit season has already ended. He fell asleep while waiting and expected Sunggyu to be back when he woke up. But it was already morning and a weekend at that, but there was no sign of Sunggyu.


He still waited anyway and said to himself that Sunggyu might have slept on his office due to fatigue. He then went and cooked breakfast, hoping that his man will be back by the time everything is ready.


But it was already 10 am and still no sign of Sunggyu. He started to worry.


Sunggyu would always text him if he can't go home. So he checked his phone for any messages but found none. He started to panic and came up with a lot of worst case scenarios, including his boyfriend being mugged last night and was probably beaten to pulp.

 

By 12 noon, he can't wait any longer. He tried to call his phone but ended up with the operator's voice saying the number cannot be reached. Now he is really panicking.

 

So even if it wasn't related to business, he tried to call Sunggyu's office and was relieved when the secretary Annie was the one to answer.


"Oh thank god it's you Annie. By any chance, is Sunggyu still there at the office? He hasn't come back home yet and I'm worried something bad might have happened to him."

 

"Oh. Uhm. Woohyun, didn't you know?"


Annie's voice was laced with uncertainty, as if she was crossing a very dangerous and unknown line. 

"Know what , Annie? " Now Woohyun is really nervous. He doesn't know why but he dislikes Annie's tone.

 

"Well, uhm. Sunggyu already resigned from the firm. Effective yesterday. His desk is even clean now. " 


Woohyun was shook. How could this happen? He never said anything about resignation. 

 

"Is that so? Okay. Thanks Annie. Uh wait, do you perhaps know if he left his cellphone there in the office? He's not picking up my calls."

"I'm sorry Woohyun. He already left."

He put down the phone, not even bothering to thank Annie. 

Where are you Sunggyu-ssi.

He muttered as a lone tear escaped from his eyes.