He's Back

Let's Fall in Love Again

A/N: This is gonna be short. 3 chapters at most since this is my first time writing. I hope you enjoy~ and i would really love it if you comment down anything ^^ 

P S. Some lines are from my fave fanfics back in high school~

 

*Ten years ago*


"Your hands... They're so warm."


He was shocked, to say the least. He stood staring at the other with his mouth agape, confusion written all over his face.


"Oh. Uhm, did I say something wrong?" Sunggyu said, scratching his head.


"N-no. It's just that... My friends always say my hands are cold. You're the first to ever say it's warm."


He blushed as he said these words towards him.
The other man's spirits visibly brightened upon hearing his words. His mouth was pulled into an impossibly huge grin and he coughed to hide it, but to no avail.

"That feels great."


"What?" Woohyun looked at him, somewhat confused.

"I mean, it feels great to know that I was the first to you know, say your hands are warm. I'd love to have a lot of firsts with you, Woohyun-ah. (He blushed). Will you... Will you go out with me?"

He was shook, to say the least. It was just so random, though somehow he expected this to happen. But he always imagined it unfolding in a romantic place, not beside a lamppost near their university. He looked at his hyung's face and saw the honesty and sincerity all over his face.

"Wait hyung... Isn't your family strict? What if your father finds out that you're... You're dating someone with the same gender? Wouldn't that cause you trouble?"

Sunggyu only smiled fondly at him. He once again took Woohyun's hand into his and said, "It doesn't matter Woohyunie. They wouldn't know anyway." He stopped when he felt Woohyun flinch. 


"At least not for now. I promise I'd tell them soon. Just, not now, okay? So... Will you go out with me?" 
Woohyun only needs a full 5 seconds before he eagerly nods his head, all the while sporting an ear-splitting grin.

"This is our first day then. Err Can I... Can i perhaps kiss you? " Sunggyu said bashfully, his ears and cheeks turning red.

"Of course you CAN. But I won't let you. Not so fast, lover boy." He chuckled as Sunggyu's once delighted face turned into a sulky one.

"At least, not yet." He said, and winked at his boyfriend. His boyfriend stumbled down his feet as he tried to follow him on the way to the university. 


"Ugh. You're such a tease." He said as he made his best pouty face.


"You're the hyung but you're such a baby." His pout deepened as Woohyun chuckled at him. "Baby, baby, baby, baby. Sunggyu hyung is a baby~ dehet~"


By this time, Sunggyu's face is as red as a tomato so out of embarrassment, or maybe because he just wants to do it, he shoved Woohyun on the wall and put his hands on the wall, locking Woohyun's face in the process. He whimpered at the impact of his back hitting the wall and looked at Sunggyu with a mix of apprehension and something else?

"Who's the baby, huh?" Sunggyu said smugly, raising his eyebrows at Woohyunie's cowering figure beneath him. He saw how his plump lips trembled involuntarily and he was more than mesmerized. He wanted to know how it would taste so without warning, he leaned into Woohyun's face and stopped a few centimeres from his lips nd whispered, "I am sorry but I'm sure I wouldn't ever regret doing this" and then he wrapped his lips into his boyfriend's. Woohyun was caught surprised but after a few moments closed his eyes and answered the kiss with a passion that rivals Sunggyu's.

After their first kiss, Woohyun was left speechless. Sunggyu on the other hand smiled at him, liftd his chin snd gave his lips one final peck before taking his hand and said, "Strawberry used to be my favorite flavor. But not anymore. Because your lips are even sweeter." Woohyun blushed at this. For the years that they've known each other, Sunggyu is never one to randomly spout cheesy lines. It was always Woohyun's job.

"You're so greasy. Greasier than the burger we ate last night." He then joked to hide his blush. 

"Whatever you say, baby."


"Baby." Woohyun repeated and giggled as he did so.

"Yes, baby?" Sunggyu asked, his big smile making his small eyes turn into slits. 


"I love you."


"I love you too, baby." 


They smiled at each other like the stupid teenagers in love that they are. They walked hand in hand and Woohyun wishes they will forever be like this, inlove and happy together.


But you know how people say nothing lasts forever, right? He should've been warned, so as to prevent nursing a broken heart.

 


*Present*


"You still love me. I know it. I can feel it. Heck, even the people around you would know. You're not good at hiding your feelings Woohyunie. You've always been an open book. So why? You're still in love with me so why are you refusing to give me a chance to be back in your life?!" Sunggyu has the guts to talk to him like that, not even minding the stares that they have garnered from the people around them. He ran a trembling hand through his hair in frustration as he huffed and looked straight at the fuming Woohyun in front of him.


The man in question barely looked at him, his gaze burning on Sunggyu's whole being.


"You left. You left me at the time when I needed you the most. And now when I'm doing very fine without your existence or the ghost of you lingering in my thoughts, now you want to come back?! Do you really think it's that easy? I'm not some book you put down when you get bored of it and expect it to still be where you left it and continue reading at the point where you left off. For heaven's sake Kim Sunggyu, I'm a human. I was hurt big time. Do you expect me to just wait for you for the whole 3 freaking years that you're gone and then jump in joy when you finally return to me? Do i have to scream in happiness, jump on my bed squealing or even welcome you with a band?! You have no idea what I have to go through just to forget you. Maybe I'm still not over you, at least not completely. Yes, maybe I'm still in love with you. But so what? This is my feelings and my own problem. So even if I still love you, what business is that of yours?"


Sunggyu felt like he was hit by a train. It was too much. Woohyun's words hurt too much. But even after everything, all he wants to do at the moment is hug his human. All he wants to do is wipe his tears and promise him he won't ever leave again. 
He looked around the place where theyre in. Some people in the marketplace turned their heads to their direction and he was mortified by the judging looks that were sent their way.

This is  what I am afraid of. These people's stares. People judging us without even knowing the extent of our love.


He stood in his place. He promised to himself he would never walk out of Woohyun's life ever again. So he waited for his beloved to leave before he allowed himself to move.


He went back to his car i and slammed the steering wheel once twice, until his anger subsides. Anger towards himself for hurting the only person (aside from his family) that he loved with all his heart. He saw how Woohyun was holding back his tears and his body is visibly trembling with anger and hurt. He thinks of himself as the worst idiot in this whole universe for breaking his precious Woohyun.
Bu now he's back. And he will make sure that he will be back for good in Woohyun's life and he would stay there. He will never make the same mistakes he evwr did before. He promised himself to fix what he broke, to patch up what's destroyed and to make Woohyun accept him again.


-----------------------------


"Dongwoo-ssi, why is it that we forget what needs to be remembered and remember the things that we need to forget?"

 

Dongwoo looked at his best friend and noticed the far-off look in his eyes, as if he's not in the present but in the past, looking through snippets of memories he specifically stored in his mind palace. He heaved a sigh before answering, even though he's not sure if it really needs to be answered or if it is only one of his rhetorical questions. Either way, he still leaned his back on the couch's arm rest and spoke in a serious tone.

 


"You know Woohyunie, the brain can only do so much as what we ask them to. We forget things because we think they are mundane, because we don't give too much importance to them. Like our lessons in school, because we think 'Why the hell do we need to learn Calculus? It's useless once we face the real world and have our own job' so more often than not, we forget the formulas and even the basic mathematical definitions because of what we deemed as its insignificance. So even if we consciously want to remember the lessons in order to pass exams, our subconscious files that information, stamps it with Insignificant and puts it somewhere at the back of our brain, out of our consciousness' reach."

 


By this time, Dongwoo is sure he got his best friend's attention, even if this stance hasn't changed a bit. 


"So? I still don't understand Dongwoo-ssi. You know I'm not as smart as you right? Can you please get to the point of this 'lecture' professor?" 


He smiled at Woohyun's amused expression. At least he's really listening to him. For the past few years, he was either half listening or lat-out ignoring Dongwoo's rants. He rarely keeps his attention when they talk seriously. He gained his attention. And this time, he intends to keep it."

 


"As I have said, our brain can only do so much as what we ask them to do, either consciously or subconsciously. I believe that the reason why we forget or remember certain things is because we subconsciously deemed its importance. You know, we can lie to other people or even convince ourselves that we are happy or whatever. But the thing is, we can never lie to the subconscious part of our brain. That is why, even if you made yourself believe that you're okay and that you've got to forget certain people or memories or things or whatever it is, deep inside you might have wanted to cherish it. If if were tangible, i bet you'd wrap it up nicely and put it in a box and maybe put it under your bed or somewhere really close to you. You never want it gone. You just wanted it to be out of reach because you think it'll help ease the pain but it didn't. And it won't. "

 

He would have added more to his 'lecture' when he heard a quiet sniffle beside him. When he turned, he saw his best friend silently crying and his heart ached. His heart ached seeing his best friend cry. For the past three years, he has only seen him cry and just when he thought his best friend is getting better, the jerk appears acting as if nothing happened. 

 

Woohyun used to be a ball of sunshine. He can always make someone smile because that's just how he is, his energy is infectious. His best days were when he was in love. He was radiating love and warmth during those times and when he left... Oh god when that jerk left, Woohyun's life turned upside down.


His smiles became frowns and his laughter turned into choked sobs. The neighbors who he used to smile at cast worried glances at him when he passes by without even the usual greeting, his eyes puffed out bloodshot and his back hunched.
It was only a few months ago when he gained back his smile. Not as bright as before but Dongwoo thinks it's a start, that it's a huge improvement. He thinks everything is fine until he found him this morning on his apartment. He comes there every so often to check on his best friend and also to eat (because his bestfriend is the best at cooking). But when he opened the door of the apartment, what he expected to be a sight of delicious food was replaced by Woohyun's figure on the floor, bawling his eyes out while clutching on to his chest.

 

"Hey Woohyunie. What's wrong? Are you okay? Hey. Stop it. Talk to me." He said as he kept on tapping the other on the back. When he saw no sign of him stopping, he quickly got up, went to the kitchen and got a glass of water.

 

"Here. Drink it." He offered the glass to the crying boy. His heart was clenched when he saw how hard Woohyun is trying to calm down and stop crying but to no avail. He gently placed the glass of water on the table near them.


"What's wrong Woohyunie? You're scaring me."

"Dongwoo... Dongwoo he's back. He's freaking back." He shouted in between his sobs which caused him to cry even more.


 He hugged his best friend and waited for him to stop. A few minutes later and a soaked shirt for Dongwoo, Woohyun stopped, but his lips are still trembling and he's having hiccups. Dongwoo reached for the glass of water again and watched as his best friend drank the water in one gulp. 

 

He did not prod for answers to his question. He merely looked at him and waited for Woohyun's reason for his earlier distraught. His bestfriend is now staring off into space and his face is full of angst.


"Dongwoo-ssi. What should I do now?"

 

"Why? What really happened? Why did you break down like that? What's the reason?"

 

Woohyun just continued to stare off into space, which irks Dongwoo and makes his patience run thin (which for Dongwoo is a rarity). He's about the give up on getting the answers when his best friend spoke up again.

 

"Sunggyu. He's back Dongwoo. He's back and he thinks he can still come back as if nothing happened. As if he weren't gone for three freaking years. And he even thinks i still love him. And the worse thing is that i think he's right. " With that, a fresh batch of tears flowed from his eyes. He angrily wiped it with the back of his hands 

 

"I hate him Dongwoo. I hate him because even up until now he still has this much power over me. He can still flip my world upside down and i don't like how a part of me is happy now that he's back. I really hate myself Dongwoo. I don't know what to do. I still love him. We both know  that. But it still hurts. His leaving is still a fresh wound and him coming back is putting salt to my wounded flesh. It freaking hurts Dongwoo. I'm torn apart."

 

Dongwoo stayed silent, only listening to Woohyun's rant and occasionally wipes his tears with the sleeves of his sweatshirt. He can't do anything as of now anyway. 

 

"No. He can't get the satisfaction. He can't manipulate me." He turned to Dongwoo and said in a very determined voice, "I don't love him anymore Dongwoo. I'm over him. I don't love him. Not anymore."

 

Dongwoo heaved a sigh. As much as he wanted to support his best friend in his declaration, he thinks being in denial will only make things even worse.

 

"You know, pretending you don't feel anything for someone is like convincing yourself that you could probably deny the only thing you can be sure of. Drop it Woohyunie. You still love him and you got to accept that. All you need to do is to never let that guy manipulate you. You have a very functional brain and I know you can handle this mess. The Nam Woohyun I know will never back down in a fight. I'm not saying you should fight with him physically, okay? All im saying is that if the guy offers an explanation, you should take it. But that doesn't mean you have to accept it. It is still your choice after all, don't you want to know the reason why he suddenly disappeared from your life? Without even a warning much more a goodbye? Indulge yourself to the opportunity Woohyunie. You can actually turn this into your advantage if you just play the right cards."

 

He watched as his best friend takes his time to absorb what he just said. And the  visible lighting up of his face showed how much he liked the idea. He smiled his big toothy grin at him and said,

 

" Yes. You really are a genius Dongwoo. Of course. I should make it my advantage right?"

 

Dongwoo flinched when he saw the evil glint in his best friend's eyes.

Uh-oh, i smell trouble.