chapter 3

the darkness is coming

It was the third day of school and Kyungsoo was already studying for his O.W.L.s. He was a hard-working student, and he took much pride in the fact that he had been chosen to act as a Prefect. He was already ahead of everyone else in his year, thanks to the "Ravenclaw Prefects' study group". Yes - they had their own study group, and the sixth and seventh years helped Kyungsoo and his Prefect counterpart, Acker Clarissa, in their studies.

 

"Do, it's time for dinner." one of the Prefects notified Kyungsoo. He groaned and reluctantly gathered his books in his bag.

 

"I can take your bags, you go ahead," Kyungsoo offered.

 

"Are you sure, Do?"

 

"Yeah, yeah. I'm in no hurry to go to dinner." The Ravenclaw Prefects gave Kyungsoo their bags and Kyungsoo left for the Ravenclaw Tower. When he reached the spiral staircase, the door to the common room flew open, and someone ran straight into Kyungsoo.

 

"Hey, watch it!" Kyungsoo yelled as he tripped and the bags of his friends were scattered all over the hallway.

 

"Oh, sorry." Kyungsoo looked up and saw a student standing in front of him with an odd expression on his face.

 

"You're a Slytherin. What were you doing in the Ravenclaw common room?" Kyungsoo asked and stood up. Unfortunately, the Slytherin was taller than him, and his attempt at looking intimidating went down the drain.

 

"Uh, I was visiting a friend," the boy said.

 

"What's their name?"

 

"Umm ... I forgot. We just met." Kyungsoo raised his eyebrows in suspicion and shook his head.

 

"What were you really doing in there?"

 

"Allright," the Slytherin said. "It was a dare. If I could get inside the common room, my friends would do my homework for a week."

 

"Oh, really? Well - I'm impressed you got in. What's your name?" Kyungsoo asked.

 

"Kim Jongin, fifth year."

 

"Right then. Kim-"

 

"Call me Kai." Kyungsoo frowned at the boy for interrupting him, but kept talking.

 

"Kai, I don't want to see you going in or coming out from our common room without another Ravenclaw, got it?" Kai nodded with a smile.

 

"Got it. Can I go and eat now?"

 

"Go, whatever," Kyungsoo said and shooed the Slytherin away. Then he picked up the bags which were still scattered around the floor, and stepped in front of the Ravenclaw Tower's door. He quickly threw the bags to the common room and went to the Great Hall for dinner.

 

 

 

The next day Do Kyungsoo was studying in the library again, but this time he was alone. It was a cloudy afternoon, and the library was almost empty. Kyungsoo was reading a thick book about the different uses of magic, when a bird made out of paper flew in front of him. The bird looked at Kyungsoo, and then opened its wings, so he could read the words written on them.

 

'Thanks for not getting me in trouble yesterday. -Kai'

 

Kyungsoo frowned and looked around. He did not see the Slytherin anywhere near him, though it was rather easy to hide behind the tall shelves that were stacked with books. The paper bird offered a clean side of its wing, so as to encourage Kyungsoo to write a message back to the sender. The Ravenclaw sighed and took his quill, writing a short 'No problem' with his full name as a signature. Then the bird flew away, and Kyungsoo was finally left alone with his book. He continued reading, until he was interrupted again. Someone had sat down opposite him without even asking for permission first. Kyungsoo grew irritated and looked up to see who the rude intruder was.

 

"Hi," Kai said with a smile.

 

"Can't you see I'm busy?" Kyungsoo asked.

 

"Sorry, but I just had to ask you something ..." Kyungsoo lifted his eyebrows and waited expectantly. "I was just wondering whether you were single or not," Kai blurted out like it was the most natural thing to ask from a stranger. Kyungsoo's ears flared red and he looked shocked.

 

"E-excuse me?" he stammered.

 

"Do you want to go on a date with me?"

 

"You must be kidding, right?" Kyungsoo asked and looked around for any proof that this was all just a prank.

 

"No, I'm not. I'm very sincere," Kai said with a handsome smile. "I've noticed you since last year, and only now I got the courage to ask you out. Please, if you're going to reject me, do it gently." Kyungsoo couldn't believe his ears. What was the Slytherin boy talking about? Noticed since last year? Kyungsoo's head was a mess, and he didn't like it. He was confused and didn't know what to think. His heart thumped in his chest and suddenly a childlike excitement and hope filled his thoughts. Kyungsoo felt adrenaline flowing in his veins and he wanted to be reckless.

 

"You're absolutely sure this isn't a joke?" Kyungsoo asked one more time - just to make sure.

 

"No."

 

"Fine. I'll go on a date with you."