Couples Night

Like the Lotus: The Continuing Story

The evening after their return to Seoul, Jan Di and Ji Hoo had invited Yi Jeong, Ga Eul, and Woo Bin over for dinner at their house. Jan Di was back and forth between the kitchen and dining room. She planted a lingering kiss on Ji Hoo, and they whispered I love you to each other before she returned to the kitchen. On the way out, she beckoned for Ga Eul to join her. Ga Eul smiled sweetly at Yi Jeong and promised to return. Yi Jeong insisted she hurry back, and she gave him a soft kiss. The girls left the guys alone at the dining room table.

Yi Jeong turned to Ji Hoo once the girls were out of earshot. "Well, you two are pretty sickening," he commented with a grin.

Ji Hoo gaped. "Us? What about you and Ga Eul?"

"Yeah, I guess we must appear a bit sickening, too," he laughed.

Yi Jeong turned to Ji Hoo. "Things seem to be going well for you, Ji Hoo-yah."

"Yes. Things are great." He smiled.

"You seem happy. I don't think I've ever seen you so happy," Yi Jeong commented.

"I am. I am extremely happy." He smiled again and Yi Jeong slapped him on the back.

"And you? I take it you're happy, too?"

Yi Jeong took a deep breath. "I am. In fact…," Yi Jeong leaned in as if to tell Ji Hoo a secret. Ji Hoo leaned in slightly.

"I'm going to ask her to marry me," Yi Jeong whispered.

"Wow," Ji Hoo commented, deadpan. "F4's legendary Casanova settling down…I'm shocked…," he cracked a smile.

Yi Jeong scoffed. "Well, I'm still in shock that F4's legendary 4th dimensional loner is married."

"Ya, watch it!" Ji Hoo punched Yi Jeong in the arm.

"Oww," Yi Jeong laughed.

"Well, when you meet your soulmate what else can you do?" Ji Hoo asked rhetorically.

"I agree," Yi Jeong said with a smile.

The guys looked up as the girls returned carrying trays of food. The guys immediately stood and helped them. Then, there was a ring at the door. Jan Di recalled that they'd also invited Woo Bin and his new girlfriend over. They had yet to meet her. All they knew was that she was a model.

Jan Di answered the door.

"Jan Di-yah! How are you?" Woo Bin caught Jan Di off guard and snatched her up in a tight hug, lifting her off the ground slightly.

"This is my new baby, Baek Min-Seo," he said after releasing her.

Jan Di bowed and introduced herself. The girl was stunningly beautiful, with long straight sleek black hair, legs that stopped in the clouds, and a face hauntingly reminiscent of Seo Hyun's.

Jan Di led them in and Woo Bin excitedly greeted his bros and introduced his girlfriend to them and to Ga Eul. Much to Jan Di and Ga Eul's dissatisfaction, the girl was extremely friendly with Ji Hoo and Yi Jeong, and she touched their arms flirtatiously and complimented them. Oddly enough, Woo Bin didn't seem to mind.

"I had no idea my handsome Oppa had such handsome friends!" she continued laying it on thick.

Ji Hoo gave a short awkward laugh and rubbed his neck, and Yi Jeong smiled. Jan Di and Ga Eul looked to each other and rolled their eyes.


The three couples sat down to dinner. Grandfather had said he was going to make himself scarce, so he did not join. Jan Di smiled sadly. Poor Grandfather had been so concerned about being in the way of the young people, mainly meaning Ji Hoo and her. She recalled a conversation she'd had with him earlier that day. Grandfather had seemed down, so she talked to him. He'd expressed that he'd been feeling like a burden lately and talked about finding some other living arrangement. Jan Di had put her hands over his as they sat together on the couch and told him that he could never be a burden. He'd smiled and gruffly asked, "Why would two newlyweds want to live with a grumpy old man? I'm just in the way…" Jan Di had immediately responded with, "You're a part of this family, and you could never be in the way. The three of us…and Fluffy," she added with a laugh, "…we're a family, and we all belong together, so you're not going anywhere!"

Grandfather had smiled, fighting signs of tears, and hugged her tightly. "My grandson certainly chose a good one…," he said tenderly and gave her a warm pat on the back. Jan Di pulled back and smiled, as Grandfather held her by the shoulders for a moment longer. Not only did Jan Di love Grandfather like her own flesh and blood, but if not for him she and Ji Hoo may never have ended up together. His caring, sage advice, and yes, meddling had shown two rather stubborn people that they couldn't live without each other. Ji Hoo had witnessed the interaction. He smiled, completely touched, and mused on how amazing his wife truly was.


During dinner, the model had gotten up to use the restroom. Jan Di and Ga Eul shot cautionary glances to Ji Hoo and Yi Jeong, as if to warn them not to watch her walk away. The guys looked at each other helplessly and communicated without words, as only two men as close as them could.

I wasn't going to look, Ji Hoo thought at Yi Jeong.

Me either…what now? Yi Jeong thought back.

Just stare at your plate… Ji Hoo suggested.

Staring at my plate… Yi Jeong nodded.

Ji Hoo sighed and exchanged a look with Yi Jeong. If their women only knew how hopelessly in love they truly were, they wouldn't worry a bit.

After dinner, Jan Di and Ji Hoo shared stories and pictures from their honeymoon, and Jan Di presented the souvenirs that she'd brought back: a handmade silver necklace for Ga Eul, a carving for Yi Jeong, a crazy outfit for Woo Bin, which Jan Di was sure he wouldn't wear but that he would find amusing. They all sat together in the living room, and Ji Hoo showed off an unusual instrument he'd gotten there. Jan Di wasn't sure how he had any idea how to play it, but somehow he was able to. And they talked and sipped the Kopi Luwak coffee that they'd brought back.

"This is really good," Ga Eul commented.

"Yes, I'll miss it when we run out," Jan Di said.

Once Ji Hoo grew tired of his instrument, he began to relate some of Jan Di's mishaps on their honeymoon. The group smiled and laughed, while Jan Di sulked silently. Ji Hoo prattled on, much to the amazement and amusement of Woo Bin and Yi Jeong.

"We went hiking at Mt. Batur, and Jan Di got a little bit too daring…" Ji Hoo began, "...She started climbing but slipped and cut her leg. …You're so accident prone, my love," he gave Jan Di an affectionate look. She gaped at him in mock anger then softened recalling the incident.

"I wasn't really hurt badly, but you still carried me out on your back." She smiled tenderly back at him, and he gave her a kiss.

This elicited an aww from the group, and Ga Eul hugged Yi Jeong's arm tighter.

"Then, Jan Di decided she wanted to go snorkeling, which I protested at first because of her shoulder, you know?"

"Yeah, always worrying about me," she shoved him playfully.

"Well, she talked me into going. Jan Di was all gung-ho about it and was the first one to jump in, so I jumped in after her… This girl has no fear, I tell you…but thankfully, that went OK." Yi Jeong and Woo Bin chuckled. Ga Eul smiled at Jan Di.

Ji Hoo continued. "And then we went deep sea fishing. That one was my idea. I caught a few small fish, but Jan Di hooked the big one, a 2 meter barracuda! And it nearly pulled her into the ocean! I had to grab onto her," Ji Hoo laughed. "It scared me a bit, I must say…"

Jan Di smiled and hugged his arm. "You're being a little dramatic, Ji Hoo-yah."

He laughed. "Yes, but Jan Di had some interesting animal exploits on our trip…" Ji Hoo continued, grinning.

Knowing where this was going, Jan Di whispered, "Don't tell them the monkey story…" The group looked on curiously.

"But it's my favorite one," he whispered back. The group looked to Ji Hoo and then to Jan Di and leaned in. "Fine," she said and crossed her arms and leaned back against the couch.

Ji Hoo smiled and continued. "When we went to the Ubud Monkey Forest, Jan Di set her purse down for a minute, and one of the monkeys stole her purse!" Ji Hoo gave a short laugh. "…But the Wonder Girl, she wasn't taking that lying down…" Ji Hoo stifled further laughter as he pictured it.

Ga Eul grinned, eagerly anticipating the rest of the story. Her arm was linked with Yi Jeong's, who was also grinning alongside her.

"Wonder Girl?" Min-Seo questioned.

"Yes, Baby, that was Jan Di's nickname in high school," Woo Bin replied and returned his attention to the storyteller. Min-Seo nodded, "Ahhh."

Ji Hoo continued. "…So, the Wonder Girl actually chased after it until she got her purse back!" Ji Hoo shook his head, smiling widely.

The group laughed in unison. "That sounds like Jan Di!" Ga Eul exclaimed, and Yi Jeong chuckled beside her, as he rubbed her shoulder. Ga Eul blushed lightly.

"Oh, Jan Di-yah, you're such a funny one!" Woo Bin clasped his hands together and then turned to Ji Hoo. "Life will never be boring with her around, eh Ji Hoo-yah?"

Ji Hoo laughed, "Definitely not."

Jan Di swatted at Ji Hoo. "Why do you like that story so much?"

"Because it was cute and funny," he said matter-of-factly.

Jan Di crossed her arms and poked out her cheeks. She was relieved that he at least left out the part about her being jealous of the masseuse. Still, she decided he would pay for this somehow...

But when Ji Hoo smiled at her and poked her cheek she couldn't stay angry.

The group played a game and ended the night early due to Jan Di and Ji Hoo having to be at the hospital early the next morning. The group congratulated them on their new positions and thanked them for the evening and the gifts.


A half hour later, Jan Di and Ji Hoo sat in bed. Ji Hoo was reading but Jan Di was simply staring out, fidgeting with the blanket.

Ji Hoo took his glasses off and put his book down. He turned to her. "What's wrong, honey?"

She shook her head, "Nothing…," but she continued to frown.

He studied her. "Come on, tell me…"

"Why did you have to tell all those stories about me?" she pouted.

"I told you, I thought they were cute and funny."

"It was embarrassing…"

"I'm sorry, honey…. I didn't mean to embarrass you. No need to be embarrassed, though. It was just Ga Eul, Woo Bin, and Yi Jeong, and they know and love you so much…we all love our Wonder Girl and the stories about her… Not to mention, you know plenty of embarrassing things about them…"

"Woo Bin's girlfriend was there, too…she probably thinks I'm an idiot…"

"Of course not! And what does it matter what she thinks?"

Jan Di sighed. "I guess…"

"I'm sorry, forgive me?" he rubbed her arm and looked down into her eyes.

She sighed and nodded. Ji Hoo continued to study her.

Jan Di twisted the blanket between her fingers.

"Is something else bothering you?"

She continued to grip the blanket and sighed, "…Well, I just didn't care much for Woo Bin's girlfriend," she finally blurted out.

Ji Hoo nodded slowly and a faint smile formed on his lips.

"I mean, that was so rude that she would flirt with you and Yi Jeong in front of her boyfriend…Woo Bin deserves better!"

Ji Hoo sighed and ran his hand up and down her arm. "I agree. She was behaving inappropriately." He studied her for a moment. "But don't worry about Woo Bin. He probably has 3 or 4 more girls on the side anyway. He's F4's Don Juan, remember?"

"Yeah, well…she also hit on Yi Jeong right in front of Ga Eul!"

Ji Hoo nodded. Jan Di looked away and continued to squeeze the blanket. Ji Hoo glanced down and put a hand over Jan Di's. "Are you worried it will cause an argument between Ga Eul and Yi Jeong?"

"A little bit."

He caressed her hands. "I wouldn't worry about that. I'm sure they'll be fine…"

She nodded and released a heavy sigh.

"Is there something else bothering you?"

Jan Di mumbled, barely audible, "…And what was she doing flirting with someone else's husband, anyway…," her voice was bitter and trailed off at the end.

Ji Hoo smiled and nodded. He pulled her in and whispered, "You're so adorable when you're jealous…"

Jan Di gaped and appeared ready for a verbal comeback, but then he kissed her nose and diffused her.

"Were you worried?" he asked.

"Of course not…"

"Good," he said, going back to his book, "Because I already told you that other women don't interest me, or have you forgotten already?"

Jan Di gave a faint smile and sighed. "I just still find it hard to believe that someone like you would want someone like me…"

"You need to work on that self-esteem, Yoon Jan Di. What more do I need to say or do to prove it to you? I've looked at and loved only you for 7 years now. I married you… And I still think about you almost constantly. Did you know that sometimes I even forget the notes I'm playing because I'm so distracted by my thoughts of you…"

"Ji Hoo-yah…"

"What, you think that after waiting for you for all those years that I'm just going to start chasing after other women?"

"Well, no but…"

He began tickling her as punishment. "No, Ji Hoo-yah, stop it!" she squirmed.

He chuckled and decided to show mercy. Then he grew serious again and squared her shoulders to him and looked into her eyes. "I'm finally with the girl of my dreams, and I'm not going to mess that up. I don't care how many models you parade in front of me…I'll still only see you…"

"Ji Hoo-yah…" she gazed at him lovingly. She wrapped her arms around his neck, and they shared a tender kiss. After, he smiled at her affectionately and ruffled her hair.

"Oh, do you want to hear a secret?" Ji Hoo leaned toward her.

Jan Di leaned in, "Yes!"

"You have to promise not to tell anyone, especially Ga Eul…," he whispered as if the walls had nosy personalities and big mouths.

"I promise!" she held a hand up indicating that.

He leaned in closer. His lips brushed her ear and she felt his warm breath as he whispered, "Yi Jeong is going to propose to Ga Eul."

Jan Di gasped, "You're kidding!"

"No, he told me. See, I told you that you shouldn't worry about them."

Jan Di clasped her hands together, "That's so great! I wonder what he'll do! I wonder when he'll do it… Do you know when he is he going to do it?" she turned to Ji Hoo.

"No, I don't," Ji Hoo replied and returned to his book casually.

"You didn't ask?"

"No, it wasn't really my business," he replied, not looking up.

Jan Di sighed. "Oh, it's going to be so hard to wait…"

Ji Hoo looked at her once more. "Remember, you absolutely can't say anything, or he'll kill me…or perhaps have Woo Bin knock me off…either way, you don't want to be responsible for that, do you?" he pointed a finger in warning.

Jan Di shook her head fervently.

"Ok, good."

Jan Di poked out her cheeks and exhaled. "I guess I'll be too occupied to really focus on it…Oh, I can't believe I start at the hospital tomorrow!" she exclaimed suddenly, as if she'd somehow forgotten. "I'm so nervous!"

Ji Hoo put down his book again and began to massage her shoulders. "You'll be great, Jagiya, don't worry." She rolled her head around contentedly and let it drop to her chest, as he continued to work out her tense muscles. He placed a few soft kisses upon the spots he'd just worked out.

"I guess we should get some sleep then. We need to be there at 6AM," he said.

"Yeah, I guess I better at least try to sleep…," she replied, knowing full well that it was unlikely. They turned out the lights and lay down. Ji Hoo wrapped his arm around her stomach, as she clutched her pillow and attempted to shut off her mind's power switch.


Jan Di awoke to a stomach full of knots and a slightly aching head from loss of sleep. She'd had a graphic nightmare about a patient dying. She'd woken gasping and breathing heavily and staring at her hands, still expecting to see them covered in the patient's blood. This had woken Ji Hoo. He'd asked her about the dream, and she'd shakily related it, as he held her against his chest and d her hair. He'd kissed her forehead and whispered loving, reassuring words to her until she calmed and fell asleep against him. She felt badly that she'd woken him up when he had a big day ahead as well.

In the early morning, they showered and dressed for work. Jan Di pulled on a pair of scrubs and put her hair up. Ji Hoo wore a suit underneath his lab coat, as he had a morning meeting with the board. They wore their wedding rings on silver chains tucked safely inside their shirts.

Ji Hoo seemed so calm and collected, as usual. Meanwhile, she felt as though she'd been swept up in a tornado. This was all too clear to him when he noticed that she wasn't eating breakfast.

Jan Di and Ji Hoo said their goodbyes to Grandfather, who wished them luck, and they drove to work. It was still dark out, and the world was just beginning to stir. Jan Di clutched her backpack tightly against her chest as they drove. She went through a mental checklist of what she needed and what her tasks would be upon arrival. moved but nothing came out. Ji Hoo glanced at her extraneously, as he drove.

"Don't be nervous," he said sweetly. "Your firefighter will be on call."

She smiled and nodded, though she knew that he couldn't possibly come running every time she rang the emergency bell at work. He had to work, too.

"Just page 119 if you need anything," he grinned.


They pulled up to the hospital. Before getting out, Ji Hoo gave Jan Di a kiss. "Have a great first day, darling, fighting!" he said, "And remember, page me if you need anything…I will come as fast as I can."

She smiled, "Thank you, Sunbae." She'd decided to call him sunbae once again at work. "Have a great day, too!"

Their first day was a 12 hour shift.

"I will see you around here and there, and we should be able to meet for lunch at noon."

She nodded.

"Remember, don't be nervous. I love you," he squeezed her hand.

"I love you, too," she squeezed back.

They walked in together and reluctantly parted ways.


Jan Di went to the administrative office to fill out paperwork and to get her ID badge. She still hadn't gotten used to going by Yoon yet, so it wasn't difficult to remember to put down Geum instead. She wasn't exactly thrilled with her picture, but it was acceptable she supposed. And she was not one for vanity. She clipped the badge at the neckline of her baby blue scrub top. The administrative assistant instructed her on where to go, and she made her way to the 4th floor to meet with her group of interns.

Jan Di stood in a group of 4 other terrified looking interns. Though she'd learned that she was the only one whose first day it was. She took a deep breath and steeled herself. A girl about her age approached her and introduced herself as Go Mi-Nyu. She had short hair and wore round black glasses. Jan Di bowed and introduced herself. The girl informed Jan Di that she had been an intern there for about a month now, and she began to fill Jan Di in on what she felt that she would need to know. Go Mi-Nyu was a sweet, timid thing, who had immediately latched onto Jan Di. And Jan Di was thankful that she'd made a friend so quickly.

Jan Di stood with her new friend at the nurse's station waiting for Dr. Jang to arrive. Jan Di noticed Ji Hoo approaching from down the hall. A small group had begun to surround him. She felt immediately more at ease upon seeing his face.

"I think that's Dr. Yoon Ji Hoo," Mi-Nyu whispered to Jan Di.

"Yes, that's him," Jan Di couldn't help but beam proudly at her husband, who looked quite dashing in his lab coat.

"Oh, you know him?" Mi-Nyu asked.

"Uh, yes, we're good friends, actually." Jan Di hated not being completely forthright with her new friend, but she really didn't want word spreading around the hospital that she and Ji Hoo were married, especially not so soon.

"Oh wow. He's very handsome," she commented. Jan Di simply nodded and gazed affectionately at Ji Hoo. Ji Hoo caught sight of Jan Di. He met her gaze and smiled.

Dr. Jang arrived shortly after, and he greeted Ji Hoo and the group. He wore his lab coat over a white button up shirt, black tie, and black pants. He was in his early thirties. His raven hair was styled with gel, with tufts of hair haphazardly twisted upward.

Jan Di and Go Mi-Nyu stood back from the group that was surrounding Ji Hoo and Dr. Jang.

"And that's Dr. Jang," Mi-Nyu whispered.

"Yes, I know," Jan Di replied.

"You know him, too, Jan Di?"

"We've met a couple of times outside of the hospital." Jan Di recalled her meetings with Dr. Jang at the clinic and at the symphony.

"He's the attending and oversees the interns right now," Mi-Nyu continued, "…He's very handsome, too," she commented. Jan Di acknowledged to herself that she found him handsome when she met him.

Not as handsome as my husband, though… Jan Di mused dreamily, as she watched Ji Hoo interact with Dr. Jang and the group.

"But he's kind of rough on the interns…," Mi-Nyu continued.

"Oh, yes, I did hear something about that. Is he really so bad?"

"Well, let's just say he yells a lot…"

"Oh." Jan Di put a finger to her chin. That's odd. He seemed so polite when I met him before… She recalled how he'd even kissed her hand when they met at the symphony. Very odd indeed… Still, Ji Hoo seemed to have some problem with him… Probably just because of that and the clinic…

Another man arrived. He was a man in his 60s, dressed in a suit, and he was accompanied by a younger woman in her late 20s. She was tall and slender, wearing a dress and heels that Jan Di could only assume must have been very expensive.

"Oh, Jan Di," Mi-Nyu grabbed her arm and whispered. "That's the new director of the hospital, Director Hwang." The group instinctively bowed at their arrival, and Jan Di and Mi-Nyu followed suit.

"And that's the director's daughter Hwang Si-Yeon. She's very spoiled…supposedly she has her MD, but she makes no use of it. She kind of just floated through medical school because of her father. I wouldn't even let her put a bandage on me or anyone I care about…," Mi-Nyu sneered. Jan Di stifled a chuckle.

Director Hwang greeted Dr. Jang and shook his hand, and then Dr. Jang introduced him to Ji Hoo. Ji Hoo bowed, and they shook hands. Jan Di watched the Director introduce Ji Hoo to his daughter.

"Dr. Yoon, this is my daughter Hwang Si-Yeon." The girl approached Ji Hoo smugly and held out her hand to him in a regal fashion, almost as if she expected him to kiss it. She looked at him like he was some kind of treat. He gave a polite smile and then shook her hand.

Then the director and Dr. Jang stood beside Ji Hoo and introduced him to the group as the new Chief Resident, an honor that had never before been bestowed on someone so young and only in his second year of residency. The crowd clapped, and Ji Hoo bowed deeply and thanked the group, glancing around and nodding his appreciation. As he did so, Jan Di noticed the hint of a wrinkle in his perfect brow, which always indicated he was feeling uncomfortable or anxious about something. He glanced to her, and she gave him an encouraging smile. He smiled back, and his eyes thanked her. She always knew just how to ease his unrest.

Jan Di was so proud of him, and it was written plainly on her face. He was handling being the center of attention so well, too. Time was when such a gathering and being in the spotlight would have sent him into a full-blown internal panic attack, which he would have kept locked away from all but her of course.


After the introduction, the director and his daughter left. The crowd continued to surround Ji Hoo and offer their personal congratulations.

"Alright everyone, get back to work," Dr. Jang barked. "Except my interns, stay."

Ji Hoo and Dr. Jang approached Jan Di and Mi-Nyu, who stood in the front of the small group of interns.

"Dr. Jang, you remember Geum Jan Di don't you?" Ji Hoo asked.

"Yes, of course. How are you Geum Jan Di?" he revealed a perfect set of teeth.

"I'm well, thank you," she bowed. "It's nice to see you again, Seonsaengnim."

"Think you're up for this?" he grinned.

Jan Di nodded.

"Go Mi-Nyu, here is your patient list for the day. Go and get their case histories." Dr. Jang handed Mi-Nyu a chart. Mi-Nyu bowed "Yes, Seongsangnim," and she smiled at Jan Di and headed off. Dr. Jang gave jobs to the other four interns.

"Well, Dr. Yoon, I will see you later," Dr. Jang said and turned to Jan Di. "Come along, Geum Jan Di," he headed off in the other direction.

Ji Hoo smiled and nodded to Jan Di and she returned the gesture. He mouthed I love you before she jogged off after Dr. Jang. She caught up and followed silently behind him. Ji Hoo watched after her and silently wished her a good day.


Dr. Jang didn't say a word and walked steadily ahead. Jan Di struggled to match his stride but stayed behind him. Dr. Jang finally spoke rattling off where things were in the hospital and what the daily routine would be like. Jan Di pulled out her notepad and pen and fumbled with it. She began writing down some notes for herself. She fell behind slightly as she wrote and had to jog again to catch up.

"Keep up, Geum Jan Di," Dr. Jang demanded.

"Yes, Seongsangnim!" she replied and hurried onward.

Dr. Jang suddenly stopped and Jan Di bumped into him lightly.

She bowed deeply, "I'm so sorry, Seonsaengnim!"

He sighed and shook his head at her. "You're going to shadow me for a few days since you're new. Come along." They went into a patient's room. Dr. Jang smiled widely and greeted his patient by his first name. Dr. Jang introduced Jan Di as one of his interns. The patient had just had surgery, so Dr. Jang checked the incision site for any signs of infection. He pulled out his clipboard and started asking post-op questions.

"Normally the surgeons do this, but I like to be more involved," he explained to Jan Di.

Jan Di continued to follow Dr. Jang around throughout the day. He encouraged her to watch him closely and take notes. He would occasionally give her something simple to do, such as asking questions of patients or typing up patient histories.

A few hours in Dr. Jang turned to Jan Di. "Your friend Dr. Yoon is performing surgery on one of my patients. It's his first time as lead, and I'd like to watch, so we're going to stop in the observation room of the OR."

Jan Di was thrilled by this. She was hoping to be able to see Ji Hoo in action and to support him. She kept her excitement in check and simply nodded and followed Dr. Jang to the OR.