New Life

Like the Lotus: The Continuing Story

Ga Eul awoke to the sun gently kissing her face after sneaking through the curtains of Yi Jeong's and her hotel room in Rome. She had a huge smile on her face. In fact, she had awoken with a smile on her face each morning for the past week, ever since their wedding. Yi Jeong had taken her on a European tour for their honeymoon, and they had one week left. She rather hated to see it end; it had been so amazing…

Ga Eul blinked back the sleep from her eyes and turned to Yi Jeong lying peacefully beside her. She released an audible sigh of pleasure. Jan Di had been right. She had never known such happiness as this…

Is this what Heaven is like? Ga Eul wondered, as she gazed upon her beautiful sleeping husband. This certainly appears to be the face of angel… She smiled wider as she continued to watch Yi Jeong. She blushed lightly when he woke and caught her watching him sleep.

Yi Jeong graced her with that angelic smile that made her weak in the knees.

"Good morning, Jagiya," he whispered.

His honeyed voice calling her that did things to her… "Good morning, Jagiya…," she replied back, once she'd regained control of her senses. The rosy color of her blush deepened slightly upon calling him that. She was still not used to the term of endearment.

Yi Jeong dazzled her with an even wider and more perfect smile, as he pulled her gently to his bare chest. Ga Eul instinctively snuggled deeper, and he wrapped his arms thoroughly around her.

"What were you thinking just now, Jagiya?" Yi Jeong asked before placing a kiss upon her forehead.

"Just being here with you like this…," she replied with pure love in her tone. It was all either of them could think about these days…being as close and intimate as possible.

Yi Jeong gave her a look… It was a look that she was beginning to know and love well, yet it was a dangerous look. This look threatened to prevent them from keeping their plans for the day. Then he leaned in and pressed his lips to hers, slowly deepening the kiss. His kiss was dangerous, too. His kiss was something she felt she could never grow tired of, and she was quickly becoming addicted to it.

She surrendered body and soul…


Ji Hoo made his way to the psychiatric department between surgeries for a session with Ha-Joon.

Four Weeks Ago…

Dr. Baek had requested a meeting with Ji Hoo, and he came to her office.

"Dr. Yoon, nice to see you again. Thank you for taking the time to meet me."

Ji Hoo gave her a short bow, and she ushered him into her office. "Dr. Baek, what can I do for you?" he asked after taking a seat.

"Well, I wanted to give you an update on Ha-Joon."

Ji Hoo nodded and waited for her to go on.

"I was able to get him to speak, but he…asked to speak to you."

Ji Hoo looked at her quizzically.

"He doesn't want to speak to me, but he does want to speak to you. He agreed to talk to me if you could be present. His caregiver was agreeable to this and signed a consent to release information to you…so, my question is…are you willing to participate in therapy sessions with Ha-Joon?"

Ji Hoo cleared his throat and rubbed his hands together. He hadn't been expecting this.

"I know it's a lot to ask, and I know you're a busy man, Dr. Yoon. The family and I would work around your schedule, of course."

Ji Hoo nodded. "I'll do it."

"Great, thank you, Dr. Yoon," she paused, "Ha-Joon told me that he heard what you said when he was in the hospital…about trying to save his father…and about losing your own parents…"

Ji Hoo tightened his mouth slightly. "I see..."

"I'm sorry, Dr. Yoon."

"It's OK. It was a long time ago. I've moved past it now."

Dr. Baek nodded, "I just wanted to prepare you. He may ask questions, so old feelings may resurface for you…"

"I can handle it."

Dr. Baek nodded. "OK. You know, he seems to really admire you."

Ji Hoo smiled faintly. "Well, I need to be going."

"Yes, thank you. Just let me know your schedule, and we'll set something up."

They shook and then Ji Hoo left.


Ji Hoo had told Jan Di about this, and she was supportive so long as he was fine with doing it. She thought that it was nice that he was trying to help, but she expressed concern for Ji Hoo's own feelings. Ji Hoo had assured her that he was fine, but he still didn't like to talk about the sessions with anyone.

The latest session was an emotional one for both Ha-Joon and Ji Hoo. Ji Hoo didn't like feeling so vulnerable. He hadn't realized how talk of his parents could still bring up such emotions within him, but he kept them in check. He refused to get too emotional in a session, but he did his best to talk openly about it. He just kept in mind that he was doing this for Ha-Joon.

Ha-Joon was talking more now and crying… He would often cry during a session. But he seemed to be progressing and dealing with the horrific experience. Ha-Joon didn't always speak of his parents. Sometimes he talked about life with his aunt and cousins. Sometimes he talked about wishing for friends and feeling like an outcast. Ji Hoo could relate to that in a way, and Ji Hoo shared with Ha-Joon his own experiences and his friendship with F4.


After the session and Ha-Joon had left, Dr. Baek caught up with Ji Hoo.

"Dr. Yoon, wait."

Ji Hoo stopped and turned to Dr. Baek.

"How are you doing?" she appeared genuinely concerned.

"Fine," Ji Hoo replied, though a lot of emotion was bubbling beneath the surface. And he knew that she knew that. Ji Hoo gave her a polite nod and prepared to leave.

"Oh, Dr. Yoon?" He turned back to her. "Would you like to have lunch with me?" she asked.

"I'm sorry. I'm having lunch with my wife. Perhaps another time."

She nodded, and they parted ways.


The First Trimester

The first trimester of Jan Di's pregnancy was an experience for her and Ji Hoo… She'd read about all the horrors of pregnancy during weeks 1 through 12, some of which she'd experienced with her last pregnancy, so she prepared herself for the worst. But this time around was not so bad for her. She wasn't as nauseated as before, for one. Still, her body was certainly changing in a lot of ways.

Jan Di was having cravings and food aversions. And even though she tried to keep them in check, she had experienced some mood swings. She'd thought all the talk of mood swings in the books was exaggerated, but she quickly learned otherwise.

Ji Hoo's protective gene had kicked into overdrive with Jan Di's pregnancy, and he'd been hyper-vigilant of her. So, naturally, it completely unnerved him the first time he came home to find her sobbing uncontrollably with a box of tissues in her lap.

Ji Hoo had rushed to her, nearly panicked, and wrapped her up in his arms. He gently asked what was wrong, with fear in his heart about what she would say. Consumed by embarrassment, she told him about a very sad commercial that she'd seen. He'd simply smiled tenderly at her, relieved that it was not something serious, and kissed the top of her head. Then, being the sweet man that he was, he commented that the commercial did sound very sad.


It came as no surprise to Jan Di that Ji Hoo was being amazing during her pregnancy. He was always incredibly thoughtful, accommodating, and loving. He would rub her back nightly. He would go on food runs for her whenever she got a craving, even if it was the middle of the night and meant him sacrificing his much needed and precious sleep. And he never once complained about it. Jan Di felt worse for Ji Hoo than herself. She felt that she had made things difficult on him, which brought her constant guilt.

By contrast, Jan Di felt that their little bundle of joy had been rather easy on her so far, her symptoms being relatively mild.

One evening, while Jan Di and Ji Hoo sat together, her legs over his and her back propped up with a pillow against the arm of the couch, she told him that their baby must have a very calm personality.

"He will probably be just like you, sweet and even-tempered," she said with a smile. Ji Hoo smiled back at her. "Oh, but he or she does have my genes, so she may have a temper," Jan Di added in afterthought.

"I hope she is like you, my otter… She would be beautiful, strong, and caring…"

Jan Di smiled at him sweetly, "He'll probably be a musical prodigy like you, especially if you keep playing classical music to my stomach..."

Ji Hoo gave a short laugh. "I'm no prodigy. And I know the baby can't really hear sound yet, but it's never too early to start exposing him to music. I'll play for him once he's able to hear."

Jan Di smiled. Clearly Ji Hoo wanted their child to share his love of music.

"Do you hope for a boy or a girl?" Jan Di asked, placing a finger on her chin.

"It really doesn't matter to me. I will be happy with either," he put his arm around her shoulders to pull her closer. He placed a kiss upon her forehead.

Jan Di smiled, "Me too."


Dr. Jang and Jan Di walked together down the hall of the hospital discussing what tests to run for a patient. Jan Di was currently 8 weeks pregnant. She stopped for a moment, breathing rather heavily. Dr. Jang turned to her and placed his hand on her arm. "Are you OK, Kiddo?"

She nodded. "Just some shortness of breath. It's pretty common, you know."

He nodded, unwittingly rubbing her arm. It was not uncommon for Dr. Jang to occasionally touch Jan Di in a casual, friendly manner, such as a nudge or light touch on the arm, but this touch was almost a caress.

Dr. Jang had been more attentive, perhaps a bit too attentive, and even protective of Jan Di since she announced her pregnancy to him. Jan Di and Ji Hoo had planned to keep the pregnancy secret until they were further along, but once again it had not gone as planned. They ended up telling Grandfather, and when Dr. Jang figured it out Jan Di confirmed. It was incredibly difficult to keep anything a secret from the man. And it didn't help that she was around him almost constantly.

Jan Di caught her breath. "I'm fine," she smiled faintly. Dr. Jang pulled back, as if only then realizing he'd been her arm the entire time. There was a brief, awkward silence.

Dr. Baek walked toward Dr. Jang and Jan Di. She cocked her head at the interaction and stuffed her hands into the pockets of her lab coat before approaching them.

"Mi-Kyung," Dr. Jang greeted.

"Hello, Gyeong, Dr. Yoon," she turned to Jan Di and smiled, "I hear congratulations are in order, for obtaining your medical license and the pregnancy, too." Jan Di briefly wondered how Dr. Baek knew and assumed that either Ji Hoo or Dr. Jang had told her.

Jan Di and Dr. Baek had only had a few brief interactions. Jan Di had come to admire her, though. She had heard that Dr. Baek was an excellent psychiatrist. In addition, she was nice, friendly, and though it seemed a shallow quality to regard, very beautiful. She wasn't model pretty like Seo Hyun, but more like a pretty little doll.

Jan Di bowed, "Thank you, Dr. Baek. How are you?"

"I'm well. And you?"

"I'm doing well, thank you. …Well, I'll just leave you two to talk…," Jan Di gave another bow.

Dr. Baek smiled, "No need to go, Dr. Yoon. I'll be brief," Dr. Baek turned back to Dr. Jang.

"Gyeong, there's a problem. I am supposed to go to a conference this weekend, so could you take Shi-Woo a day early, on Friday?"

"Oh. Mi-Kyung, I'm on-call Friday."

"Oh, well…," she sighed, "I suppose I could try to find a babysitter."

"Um, excuse me... I'm sorry to interrupt, but I could do it if you'd like," Jan Di said.

Dr. Jang turned to Jan Di, "You want to babysit my son?"

"Well, if it'd help you two out. I'm off Friday. It'll be good practice for me," Jan Di chuckled.

"Well, I suppose…if you want to…," Dr. Jang looked to Dr. Baek for approval.

"That's very kind of you. Thank you, Dr. Yoon," she replied.

"Yes, thanks a lot, Kiddo," Dr. Jang smiled at Jan Di.

Jan Di nodded. "Well, I'll be going," Jan Di smiled and bowed to both of them.

Dr. Jang watched Jan Di walk away for a few seconds before turning back to his ex-wife. Dr. Baek smirked at him.

"What?"

She simply gave him a knowing look, which seemed to hold a hint of disapproval.

"What?" Dr. Jang repeated, with an edge to his tone. Somehow he felt she was silently judging him.

Dr. Baek shook her head. "Nothing… I'll be going then. See you later."


Jan Di and Ji Hoo were going for her ultrasound today. They were very excited that they would be hearing their baby's heartbeat for the first time.

Jan Di and Ji Hoo had been highly anxious after her miscarriage. Ji Hoo had insisted that Jan Di get a thorough check-up and blood work done just to be certain that nothing was wrong. They were relieved when the blood work came back normal, and everything so far had been fine with this pregnancy.

Jan Di was instructed to lie down on the examination table. Ji Hoo held her hand while the technician placed the cool gel upon her abdomen. Then the technician positioned the transducer. Jan Di squeezed Ji Hoo's hand tighter, suddenly fearing that a heartbeat would not be heard. Ji Hoo realized that Jan Di was holding her breath. He gave her a kiss on the forehead and whispered reassuring words in her ear.

The technician moved the wand along Jan Di's stomach. Jan Di and Ji Hoo stared at the screen, as the black and white image of their child danced upon it. They smiled, and Ji Hoo brought Jan Di's hand up and placed a kiss upon it.

"There," the technician pointed on the monitor, "See that flickering?" They nodded. "That is your baby's heart." Ji Hoo and Jan Di stared in awe.

And then they heard it, the steady beat of their baby's heart, thumping like wild horses galloping on a windy day.

"It's very strong," the technician informed them, and Jan Di and Ji Hoo exchanged a look of pure joy.

They shared the news with F3 and Ga Eul shortly after the ultrasound. They were still anxious because it was a bit early, but the good news was too difficult to keep from their friends. Ga Eul and Yi Jeong admitted that they suspected. Though they didn't say so, Jan Di appeared to have put on a few pounds. Joon Pyo was clueless, of course.

F3 and Ga Eul were ecstatic about the news, even Joon Pyo, and they all crowded Jan Di and hugged her. And Ji Hoo showed them the ultrasound.


Several days later, Jan Di went to Dr. Jang's apartment to babysit Shi-Woo. Dr. Jang opened the door and bid her enter. It was very much a bachelor pad, but there were also toys strewn about, so it was obvious that a single dad lived there.

"Sorry about the mess," Dr. Jang rubbed the back of his neck, "I, uh, haven't had a woman here in awhile..."

Dr. Jang mentally berated himself for the comment. Idiot, that was a stupid thing to say! It either made him sound pitiful or like he was suggesting she was there for some reason other than babysitting...

He quickly digressed, "Um, let me give you a tour." Dr. Jang guided Jan Di ahead, making a disgusted face at himself behind her back. He showed Jan Di around the apartment and gave her instructions for Shi-Woo.

"There's not much here to eat, but you're welcome to whatever you'd like," he added after completing the tour in the kitchen.

Shi-Woo came out of his room. He hugged Dr. Jang's leg and peeked out from behind.

"You remember, Ms. Jan Di, right?"

Shi-Woo nodded, still clinging to his father's leg.

"Hi, Shi-Woo. We're going to have fun today! Please take care of me!" Jan Di exclaimed. Dr. Jang smiled and glanced down at Shi-Woo. "You hear that, son?" Shi-Woo nodded.

Dr. Jang pulled on his lab coat and grabbed his briefcase. "I really appreciate this," he said.

"No problem, Seonsaengnim! We'll be fine; don't worry. Now, go and have a good day!"

Jan Di bowed to Dr. Jang. He smiled and touched her arm lightly before taking his leave.


After Dr. Jang left, Jan Di turned to Shi-Woo.

"So, Shi-Woo, what would you like to do first?"

Shi-Woo quietly led her to his room. He began pulling out his toys to show her. Shi-Woo took out a series of toy cars and handed one to Jan Di.

"Do you want to have a race?" she asked.

Shi-Woo smiled and nodded, and the two of them began pushing cars along the floor and making vrooming sounds.

After a few hours of racing, building blocks, and a couple rounds of hide-n-seek, Jan Di left Shi-Woo to play alone while she made him some dinner. She prepared his favorite dish, according to Dr. Jang, and then called for him. She called several times. Just as she prepared to go and look for him, he ambled into the dining room and sat down. She put the meal before him on his favorite character plate, but he simply looked at it and said he wasn't hungry.

"You're not hungry? But it's your favorite. Don't you want to try a little bit?"

She noticed he looked a bit pale. "Shi-Woo, are you OK?"

Shi-Woo shook his head, "My tummy hurts," and then he began clutching at his stomach and groaning.


Jan Di rushed Shi-Woo to the hospital. She'd paged Ji Hoo, who was the surgeon on call. Ji Hoo met up with Jan Di in the exam room, as Shi-Woo was being examined by one of the pediatricians.

"Ji Hoo-yah!" Jan Di called to him, and he went to her side.

Ji Hoo could tell that Jan Di was worried, but she was maintaining a calm, professional decorum.

"He wasn't eating and told me his stomach hurt. His temperature was 100 degrees when I checked. I thought perhaps he had the flu. He couldn't tell me the exact spot it hurt, but he was clutching his right side, so then I thought appendicitis," she explained to the pediatrician.

"That's a good diagnosis, my love," Ji Hoo said.

"Did he vomit?" the pediatrician asked, as he pressed lightly on Shi-Woo's abdomen. Shi-Woo's eyes were closed tightly and he was whimpering in pain. After the pediatrician released the pressure upon his abdomen Shi-Woo squeezed out a few tears and the cries became more insistent. It tugged at Jan Di's heart.

"Yes, twice," she said, furrowing her brow.

"Yes, it is appendicitis. Good that you brought him in. The peritoneum seems to be very inflamed. I believe the appendix is close to bursting. He needs to have surgery immediately," the pediatrician turned to Ji Hoo, "Fortunately I don't have to call for a surgical consult. Can you take him now, Dr. Yoon?"

Ji Hoo nodded. A nurse brought a gurney in and placed Shi-Woo upon it, just as Dr. Jang rushed in. Jan Di had paged him, too. "Seonsaengnim…"

"Shi-Woo!" Dr. Jang rushed to his son's side and began his hair. "Appa?" Shi-Woo mumbled, still clutching at his stomach. His young face had gone white and was twisted in pain. Dr. Jang felt his heart wrench within his chest at the sight of his son. He looked to Jan Di and Ji Hoo.

"Seonsaengnim, it is appendicitis. Ji Hoo needs to take Shi-Woo now for surgery."

Dr. Jang nodded, his chest rising and falling heavily while still Shi-Woo's dampened hair.

"Appa, I'm scared," Shi-Woo muttered between short cries.

Dr. Jang tightened his jaw. He'd never seen his son in such pain, and it was killing him.

"Don't worry, son. Appa's friend Dr. Yoon is going to make you feel better. You're just going to sleep for a little while. It won't hurt, and when you wake up, Appa will be there. Can you be a brave boy for Appa?"

"Yes, Appa...," Shi-Woo mumbled.

Dr. Jang looked at Ji Hoo, and Ji Hoo nodded to him. They seemed to exchange a silent conversation. Jan Di imagined it went something like:

Dr. Jang: I'm trusting you… My son's life is in your hands…

Ji Hoo: Don't worry. I'll take care of him…

And then, Shi-Woo was taken away, with Ji Hoo and Dr. Jang on each side of the gurney.


Dr. Jang watched through the glass of the operating room as a vigilante, while Ji Hoo and his team removed Shi-Woo's appendix. Everything appeared to be going smoothly, and Dr. Jang was developing a new-found respect….even an …appreciation for Ji Hoo's abilities.

Regardless, the tightness in Dr. Jang's chest, much like his personality, stubbornly refused to subside. At least it would not until Shi-Woo was out of surgery, awake, and Dr. Jang could verify that he was indeed fine. Dr. Jang stared into the operating room with arms tightly crossed.

Jan Di moved toward Dr. Jang slowly, tentatively, as one would approach a guard dog. "Excuse me, Seonsaengnim?"

"What is it, Kiddo?" he asked in a steady voice.

"Why don't you sit down and relax for a little while?"

Dr. Jang shook his head, "I can't. I can't relax. When your child is born, you'll understand…," he remained fixated upon his son lying on the operating table.

Jan Di pursed her lips and nodded. She paused only briefly before tugging him by the arm and breaking his self-cocoon. "Sure you can! It's easy, let me show you!"

"What are you doing?" he demanded.

"Just take a short break, and then you can come right back. Shi-Woo is in very good hands. Come on; let me treat you to one cup of tea…"

Jan Di was literally shoving Dr. Jang out of the observation room now. Dr. Jang exhaled sharply. He glanced down at the tiny determined young woman, who, stronger than she looked, was using brute force upon him. Afraid she would hurt herself, he softened, "Fine, I'll go. You don't have to push me…," he grinned.


Jan Di and Dr. Jang sat in the waiting room sipping cups of hot tea out of paper cups from the vending machine. Dr. Jang set down his cup and buried his face in his hands.

"It's just so hard, as a parent, to watch your child in pain…," he muttered, staring out and dropping his hands to his knees.

Jan Di glanced down and nodded. They were both silent for a moment. Then, Jan Di reached out and gently placed her hand over his.

Dr. Jang's lips parted slightly, surprised by her initiation of touch. He instinctively took hold of her hand and squeezed it lightly.

"Thank you," he said, still looking out ahead and holding her small hand within his. Dr. Jang's hands were rougher than Ji Hoo's, whose hands were relatively soft for a man aside from the occasional callous. Perhaps it was due to all the procedures he'd performed.

Jan Di wasn't entirely comfortable, but she allowed her hand to remain limply within Dr. Jang's. "For what, Seonsaengnim?" she asked, glancing down.

"For realizing what was wrong with Shi-Woo and for taking care of him."

"Well, I'd be a pretty bad doctor if I didn't…," she replied simply.

"You probably saved his life," Dr. Jang commented.

"I just brought him here, that's all."

"Well, you recognized what it was and brought him in quickly. If the appendix had burst, it would have been much worse… So, thank you," Dr. Jang gave her hand a last squeeze before releasing it.

Jan Di nodded. "I was really worried for him… I just kept thinking...what if I don't get there in time? But, I just tried to keep my cool and do what needed to be done."

Dr. Jang smiled, "Well, you did a good job."

"I guess my first babysitting job was a failure. Your kid ended up in the hospital…"

Dr. Jang gave a short laugh. "No, it wasn't your fault. On the contrary, I'm glad that you were the one with him…if it couldn't be me then I'm glad he was in the hands of…someone who cared and knew what to do."

"Thank you, Seonsaengnim." Their eyes met, and he gave her an appreciative smile.


The operation was a success. Shi-Woo was moved to a recovery room, and Ji Hoo left the operating room to greet Dr. Jang and Dr. Baek, who had quickly returned from her conference when she heard the news.

"Thank you, Dr. Yoon," Dr. Jang stuck out his hand, and the two men exchanged a firm shake.

"Yes, thank you so much, Dr. Yoon!" Dr. Baek embraced a slightly stunned Ji Hoo, while an even more stunned Dr. Jang looked on.

Dr. Baek quickly pulled back. "Sorry, Dr. Yoon, emotional mother...," she gave a short awkward laugh. Ji Hoo shook his head. "No, it's fine. I understand."


Dr. Jang and Dr. Baek sat in Shi-Woo's room with him. He was sleeping now. They'd spent the past hour pleasantly reminiscing about their son. Dr. Baek held Shi-Woo's hand, as Dr. Jang took a peek at his surgery site. "Well, I must admit, he did a good job," Dr. Jang mumbled.

"Why do you sound so surprised? Dr. Yoon is quite impressive," Dr. Baek commented.

Dr. Jang stared at her. "What does that mean?"

Dr. Baek looked to Dr. Jang curiously. "I just mean that he's good at what he does. Do you have some problem with Dr. Yoon?"

Dr. Jang exhaled, "No, I don't have a problem with him."

"Good. I would hope not. He just saved our son's life." Dr. Jang nodded and stood. He began to pace around the room.

"You know there's talk about you two, don't you?" Dr. Jang muttered after a moment.

"Talk?"

"Yes. That you two are…involved…"

"That's ridiculous!" she exclaimed. "And I'm not going to discuss something so juvenile with you while our son lies here recovering from surgery," she said in an insistent whisper.

Dr. Jang nodded, "You're right. I'm sorry," he replied, thinking that was the end of it. But Dr. Baek dragged him by the arm to a more private location.

"You're unbelievable," she put her hands upon her hips. "I like Dr. Yoon as a person, OK. He's one of the most compassionate men I've ever met, and yes, he's attractive, but he's married. I'd never get involved with a married man! I can't believe you'd even bring up that outrageous rumor… And since when do you listen to or care about rumors? …What, are you jealous, perhaps?" Dr. Baek raised a brow.

"Now you're being the ridiculous one…"

Dr. Baek pursed her lips, "You are jealous…"

Dr. Jang scoffed. "Why would I be jealous of who you are or aren't interested in?"

"Oh, you're jealous of Dr. Yoon, alright, but not because of me…"

"What the hell does that mean?"

"You like his wife, don't you?"

Dr. Jang scoffed, "That's absurd!" he practically shouted.

Dr. Baek shook her head. "No, it's not. I've seen the way you look at her, and I've witnessed some of your interactions…and you only just confirmed it for me…"

Dr. Jang exhaled sharply, his chest rising and falling heavily.

"I'm not taunting you about this. You can't help having feelings for someone, and I feel for you, I do. But you need to admit it to yourself. The first step is admitting you have a problem."

"Don't give me that psychobabble…"

"I mean it. You need to admit it to yourself and then figure out how to deal with it… I know that you're not the type of guy to get involved with a married woman. I don't worry that you'll do something, but I do worry about you getting hurt, so…"

Dr. Jang scoffed, "You're worried about me? Warning me, perhaps? You sound like Dr. Yoon now..."

"What?"

Dr. Jang paused and tightened his jaw, "He warned me not to get too attached to Jan Di."

"Ahh, so he's even noticed it. Not that I'm surprised. It's pretty obvious."

Dr. Jang clenched his jaw tighter.

"That's all I have to say about it," she sighed, I'm going back to see our son now."


The Second Trimester

During the second trimester, Jan Di's nausea subsided and her emotions leveled out a bit, but she still felt some of the hormonal effects of pregnancy.

One day, Jan Did was highly upset about her clothes no longer fitting her. Ji Hoo rationally pointed out that they would simply go shopping for more clothes. And so they did.

Ji Hoo was incredibly patient and supportive about shopping for maternity clothing. And Jan Di was finally able to find some things she liked and could fit.

After that, they got caught up in looking at baby items. And then, Ji Hoo went overboard on buying baby stuff. Jan Di eventually had to cut off her overly excited husband. She soon realized that she needed to watch out for Grandfather, too, who had also started buying things. This child was going to be very spoiled, Jan Di thought…


At week 20, Ji Hoo and Jan Di went for another ultrasound to find out the of the baby. Then Ji Hoo invited F3 and Ga Eul over for a little gathering to share the news.

Due to their busy schedules, it had been a few months since Jan Di and Ji Hoo had seen F3, and she'd grown significantly larger.

Ji Hoo and Jan Di opened the door to greet them. It clearly caught F3 off-guard to see the change in her.

"Whoa, Jan Di, you're so…" Woo Bin began. Jan Di stared at him. Ji Hoo shook his head in warning from behind Jan Di.

"Huge!" Joon Pyo finished Woo Bin's thought.

"Ya!" Jan Di pinched Joon Pyo's arm hard.

"Aish! Ya, Yoon Jan Di!" he rubbed the spot she had dug her fingers into.

"You look beautiful, Jan Di," Ga Eul interjected.

"Yes, absolutely beautiful," Yi Jeong agreed, while holding Ga Eul tightly around the waist from behind. Ga Eul slipped out of Yi Jeong's arms and went to Jan Di to embrace her.

Woo Bin nodded fervently in agreement. "That's what I was going to say, so beautiful!" Woo Bin gave Jan Di a warm hug. "Right Joon Pyo?"

Joon Pyo nodded, still rubbing his arm.

Ji Hoo approached Joon Pyo while Jan Di and Ga Eul chatted away out of earshot. "I tried to warn you, Joon Pyo," Ji Hoo said, shaking his head. "She's sensitive about her appearance right now."

"How do you know? What, did you tell her the same thing?" Joon Pyo asked.

"No. I would never say that to her. I just know… And you deserved what you got," he smirked at Joon Pyo.


Jan Di and Ji Hoo gathered all their friends around, and Ji Hoo put his arm around Jan Di.

"It's a boy!" Jan Di said, and Ji Hoo proudly showed off their latest ultrasound picture.

F3 was clearly excited that the baby was a boy. When names were brought up Joon Pyo suggested naming the baby after him. Ji Hoo and F2 laughed at this.

Jan Di scoffed, "We're probably going to name him after Ji Hoo's dad," she replied and suggested that Joon Pyo was a little too full of himself. She couldn't help but laugh, though. Then, Joon Pyo and F3 began discussing their plans for the child…

"You're not turning my son into the next F4!" Jan Di suddenly exclaimed. Ji Hoo grinned and F3 stared at her, slightly hurt. Joon Pyo took particular offense to this.

"And what's wrong with F4?" Joon Pyo demanded, folding his arms. F3 looked to her in unison, curious for her response.

"N-nothing," Jan Di stuttered, feeling as though she was being eyed up by a pack of hungry wolves. Anymore…

"I just don't want my son to be spoi-…," F4 waited for her to finish, "…I just don't want him to act like a…," they continued to stare at her in wait. Knowing she was in a bit of a bind with no hope for escape, Jan Di muttered, "I just don't want him to think he's privileged, OK!"

F3 decided to let it go this time, and the friends spent the evening talking and laughing together.


Despite what she said, Jan Di truly appreciated her beloved F4, and she had to admit it was rather cute how excited they all were. F3 had also begun buying gifts for the baby, and rather extravagant ones at that. Jan Di was honestly surprised they hadn't yet offered to buy their developing child a car for when he learned to drive.

And they had been incredibly supportive, too. Jan Di and Ji Hoo had talked about turning her old room in the Yoon household into a nursery for the baby. But Jan Di had worried about being so far from the baby, so Woo Bin had his construction company add an adjoining room to Jan Di and Ji Hoo's bedroom to be used for a nursery. Woo Bin ensured that the process was done quickly and expertly.


Jan Di walked into the house one day to see Ji Hoo, Yi Jeong, Ga Eul, Woo Bin, and even Joon Pyo painting and decorating the newly constructed nursery. Jan Di smiled, recalling the time F3 had worked so hard to fix up the apartment that she briefly lived in with Kang San. It had infuriated her that all their hard work was almost immediately destroyed by Madam Kang.

"You guys are doing this yourselves?" Jan Di asked incredulously.

"Yea, it's fun!" Woo Bin interjected.

"Fun?" Joon Pyo scoffed. "It's work!"

Jan Di smiled. This was likely more work than Joon Pyo had ever done in his whole life.

She watched the group work, smiling at their interactions. Joon Pyo was trying to control everything, of course. Ga Eul and Yi Jeong were still in that phase where they couldn't keep their hands off each other, so they were intermittently being playful and flirtatious. Ji Hoo and Woo Bin were clearly in the zone and working steadily. And the whole group was happily chatting away. They did make it look fun, and Jan Di suddenly wanted to join them. She offered to help, but Ji Hoo refused and gently led her from the room and insisted she rest. She reluctantly agreed, and he gave her a quick kiss before returning to work.


A few days later, Ji Hoo returned home from the hospital. Jan Di had been off that day.

"Jan Di?" Ji Hoo called for her.

Jan Di shuffled out of the bedroom.

"Hi. How was your day? I brought you something to eat," he said, smiling at her and holding up a bag from her favorite take-out place.

She said nothing but immediately closed the space between them, wrapped her arms around his neck, and pulled him down hard against her lips. Ji Hoo's eyes went wide for a split second before he released the bag and succumbed to her. Jan Di moved her lips steadily over his, slowly deepening the kiss, and he eagerly participated. She held him tightly against her, and he moved his hands to rest on her slightly enlarged waist.

After nearly a minute of kissing, Jan Di was beginning to test Ji Hoo's lung capacity. Fortunately, he was a musician, so his was better than most. He was beginning to feel the need to come up for air, but still held his prisoner. He had no idea how she was continuing…

Finally, her lips left his and she took a step back. He stared at her, catching his breath, with the hint of a satisfied smile upon his face.

How are those hormones, Jan Di?

During the past few weeks Jan Di had been craving physical touch often, and on more than one occasion she had practically attacked Ji Hoo. Not that he was complaining in the slightest… He was perfectly happy to oblige her.

Jan Di smiled crookedly, "I missed you," she explained.

He approached her once more and ran his hands lightly up and down her arms. "I like it when you miss me," he grinned. "I missed you, too." He gave her another kiss, albeit a shorter, softer one.

"What did you bring for dinner?" she excitedly asked. Apparently her appetite for him was satiated and she was now ready for food.

Ji Hoo gave a short laugh and presented the bag to her.


That night, Jan Di was propped up by a mountain of pillows and nestled against Ji Hoo as he read a medical journal. He wore his reading glasses and was in full concentration mode. He held the article with one hand, while rubbing her back with his other.

Jan Di gasped lightly. Ji Hoo turned to her, with a look of concern.

"I felt something…" Ji Hoo's lips parted, and she put his hand on her stomach.

"He's moving…," Ji Hoo smiled. They each had a hand on her stomach now.

Jan Di smiled, "He's moving a lot…whoa!" she felt a kick.

"I felt that, too," he said, "Looks like he's going to have his mother's kick." Ji Hoo grinned.

Jan Di chuckled, "And here I thought he was going to be calm and even-tempered like his father..."

Ji Hoo chuckled. "I guess not," he teased.

"There's another one," Ji Hoo smiled. "Yea, that was a big one!" Jan Di replied.

Ji Hoo began gently rubbing Jan Di's stomach, as he did each night.


Once their baby developed the ability to hear sounds, Ji Hoo began playing music for him. He continued playing classical music to Jan Di's stomach, and he also played his violin and the piano for the baby. And they were always talking to the baby so that he would get used to the sound of their voices and feel comforted.


The Third Trimester

Weeks 28 and on of the pregnancy brought a new series of lovely challenges for Jan Di, many of which she wanted no one to know about, including Ji Hoo. Jan Di was constantly feeling tired, embarrassingly needing frequent bathroom breaks, and things were swelling... She was no longer able to wear her ring, so she kept it on the chain around her neck all of the time rather than just at work. Her ankles were swollen, and her back and feet were often sore, but she was not one to complain. Ji Hoo noticed, of course, and he suggested soaking her feet, which was helpful. And he even sweetly offered to rub her feet and back on more than one occasion. She would often sit with her legs propped over his lap and her back against the armrest of the couch. She liked the position and told him it felt good on her back.

And then there was the continued weight gain, which Jan Di did not enjoy but knew that it was necessary. Ji Hoo always made sure she ate enough and gained at a healthy rate. She felt rather self-conscious about her husband keeping track of her weight so carefully…

There was many a day when Jan Di felt that she looked simply hideous. She'd never been one to worry much about her appearance, but it had become painfully obvious that she could not be very appealing at this time. Ji Hoo was good about making her feel better about herself, though, and he was constantly telling her how beautiful she was. She didn't always believe him, but she appreciated it regardless.


Jan Di had experienced some pain and bleeding midway through her third trimester, and the obstetrician expected placental previa. So Jan Di was put on bed rest during her last weeks of pregnancy.

The news had made Ji Hoo insane with worry and protectiveness and all he'd wanted to do was be by her side 24-7 and wait on her hand and foot, which he did when he wasn't at work. She was honestly surprised she'd been able to convince him to go to work at all. Jan Di had insisted that she would be fine on her own while Ji Hoo was at work, but he wouldn't hear of it. He'd hired a personal nurse for her, which made her feel a bit uncomfortable, despite the nurse being very, very good. Ji Hoo must have paid extra to ensure that Jan Di received top quality treatment. And she was receiving frequent fetal monitoring by home visit, and Grandfather had been performing his own check-ups on her.

Grandfather had been amazing, too. He was extremely excited and protective of Jan Di, much like his grandson. Grandfather had also insisted upon being there for her, but Jan Di had refused to allow him to temporarily shut down the clinic. So, he'd compromised with her and hired on a temporary replacement. Dr. Jang had also agreed to help out at the clinic when he could; he'd always enjoyed doing that, but it made Jan Di feel guilty. She knew that Dr. Jang had to be putting in an insane amount of work hours because of her.

The whole thing actually brought an immense amount of guilt to Jan Di. Everyone was going to so much trouble just for her. Whenever she expressed this, Ji Hoo would immediately tell her not to worry and remind her that she needed to keep her stress level down. Still, Jan Di had to smile at what an amazing husband and team she had behind her. She felt very fortunate to have them all…


Jan Di was going crazy from boredom while on bed rest. Grandfather did his best to keep her company when Ji Hoo was at the hospital, and Ga Eul, and F3 visited her, as well. Joon Pyo had even made appearances while Alex was in New York on business. Ji Hoo was constantly checking in every spare moment he got. And Dr. Jang had been sending her messages here and there torturing her about not being at work, though she knew he was only joking. Then, he'd always ask about how she was doing and tell a funny or interesting anecdote about a coworker or patient.

Fluffy had been her ever faithful companion and currently lay in the bed beside Jan Di. Ji Hoo didn't like Fluffy being in the bed and complained that he got dog fur everywhere, despite the maid regularly taking care of that for them. But given Jan Di's condition, Ji Hoo had allowed it.


Jan Di sat propped up in bed, reading and Fluffy's head, as he lay protectively next to her. Just then, Jan Di felt a sharp pain in her stomach, and she hunched over slightly. Fluffy began to whimper and nudge her. She attempted to pat his head but felt another pain. She called out for the nurse and then Grandfather and clutched at her stomach. Fluffy began to bark wildly and leaped from the bed and ran from the room. Moments later Grandfather and Jan Di's nurse rushed into the bedroom led by Fluffy.

"Jan Di-yah! Are you alright?" Concern was plastered upon Grandfather's withered face.

"I felt some pain in my abdomen…," she mumbled.

And then she noticed the blood. She looked to Grandfather helplessly, "Grandfather…"

"We better get you to the hospital," Grandfather said.


Jan Di sat in the examining room with the obstetrician and Grandfather. Ji Hoo rushed in, looking panicked.

"Jan Di-yah, are you alright?" he was at her side in seconds, her arms.

"I'm OK, Ji Hoo-yah," Jan Di smiled tenderly up at him.

"She's going to need an emergency Cesarean," the obstetrician informed them. A gurney was brought in, and she was placed upon it.

Ji Hoo took Jan Di's hand and leaned down. He her forehead with his other. "Everything is going to be alright, my otter," he said in as reassuring a tone as he could muster.

"I know," she smiled at him and squeezed his hand. He placed a kiss upon her knuckles. Jan Di noticed Ji Hoo's furrowed brow and she pursed her lips. "Don't worry, my firefighter…," she gave him a sweet smile.

He placed a searing kiss upon her forehead, and his eyes fluttered closed. "I'll be right there by your side… I love you so much," he whispered, gently squeezing her hand. Jan Di smiled and squeezed back. "I love you, too."

Ji Hoo had always been impressed and touched by Jan Di's spirit. He thought on this as he watched his brave, beautiful wife being wheeled off to the operating room. She had to be afraid… He was afraid; he was damn terrified…but she didn't show a speck of fear. Perhaps she was putting on a strong front for his sake. That would be just like his otter to do...


As Ji Hoo prepared to follow Jan Di, Dr. Jang arrived, catching sight of her being wheeled away. "What's going on?" he asked. F3 and Ga Eul showed up minutes after. Ji Hoo briefly caught them all up.

Ji Hoo and Dr. Jang both prepared to follow Jan Di, but an OR nurse stopped them. She informed them that they were short staffed and needed another surgeon for Jan Di's C-section.

"I'll do it," Ji Hoo immediately offered. Dr. Jang shook his head, "No, Dr. Yoon."

"I know it's not my area, but I can assist," Ji Hoo insisted.

"You can't," Dr. Jang said directly. Ji Hoo stared hard at Dr. Jang. "You're way too emotional."

"I'm fine," Ji Hoo insisted, his eyes slightly reddened.

Dr. Jang tightened his mouth and gestured downward. "Look at your hand, Dr. Yoon."

Ji Hoo raised his dominant hand and held it out straight. He noticed that his always perfectly steady hand was shaking lightly. He stared at his hand for a moment, as if to will it to stop, but the shaking only continued to increase at an uncontrollable rate.

"You can't possibly perform surgery right now," Dr. Jang said.

Ji Hoo's chest rose and fell heavily. He put a hand to his head.

"I'll do it," Dr. Jang said, turning to the nurse, and then he prepared to leave.

"But, with all due respect, Dr. Jang," Ji Hoo began, "You haven't done surgery in years…"

Dr. Jang turned back to him. "It doesn't matter. I know what I'm doing. I have a hell of a lot more experience than you… I know what I'm capable of."

Ji Hoo tightened his jaw.

The OR nurse and the group looked between the two.

"Excuse me, but we need to begin soon. I need a decision, Seonsaengnims," the nurse gave a low bow in apology for her blunt words.

"This isn't the time for this," Ji Hoo spoke in a low tone to Dr. Jang.

Dr. Jang sighed and then nodded. "You're right, and I'm sorry. This isn't some competition or ego trip, Dr. Yoon. If I didn't think I could handle it, I wouldn't do it. And you should be there holding her hand…"

Ji Hoo nodded. Both men were on edge from stress, but Ji Hoo knew that Jan Di was relying on both of them to have it together. She needed a surgeon and she needed the support of her husband. It was not the time for petty arguments. All Ji Hoo cared about right now was that Jan Di and his baby were safe and taken care of.

Surrendering, Ji Hoo said, "I…don't think I need to tell you…how important this is to me… If something goes wrong…," his voice quavered slightly.

Dr. Jang could tell that Ji Hoo was just afraid and hadn't been trying to insult his abilities. Emotions were running high for everyone, and they had both snapped a bit… A silent understanding passed between them.

"Nothing will go wrong."

Ji Hoo and Dr. Jang exchanged a serious look.

"Trust me, like I trusted you with my son... I'll take care of her. I…care for her, too…"

Ji Hoo stared hard at Dr. Jang and nodded. "I know." For the first time, Ji Hoo was grateful that Dr. Jang cared so much for Jan Di.


Ji Hoo turned to F3, Ga Eul, and Grandfather. They all wore worried expressions, particularly Ga Eul, who Yi Jeong was holding for comfort. They all headed toward the observation room of the OR.

"What the hell was that?" Joon Pyo asked as he kept stride with Ji Hoo's accelerated pace.

"What?" Ji Hoo asked, staring resolutely ahead.

"That little display… What's with you and that guy?" Joon Pyo asked.

"Ahh, it's a long story. No time to explain."

The group was taken to an observation area outside of the OR with a nearby waiting room, while Ji Hoo scrubbed up and put on sterile garb to accompany Jan Di.


Jan Di was wheeled into the operating room. Ji Hoo was by her side in surgical garb and holding her hand. Dr. Jang would be performing the surgery with the obstetrician and a neonatal team. A blue divider was placed to obstruct the lower half of her body where the surgeons would be doing their work from view. Jan Di had elected for an epidural rather than anesthesia to prevent any chance of harm to their baby.

"You ready, Kiddo?" Dr. Jang asked, and Jan Di nodded. Ji Hoo gave Jan Di a reassuring smile, and she smiled back at him, with no hint of fear on her face, only trust. Ji Hoo squeezed Jan Di's hand as the anesthesiologist made the injection in her spine. It only pinched for a second.

Jan Di shot a glance to her side to see F3, Ga Eul, and Grandfather all watching intently through the glass. Yi Jeong had his arms wrapped around a clearly concerned Ga Eul.

Jan Di felt rather on display, but she was thankful for her family being there. Her parents and Kang San were on their way. She was rather glad they weren't watching what she could only assume was a rather graphic display. Neither she nor Ji Hoo could really see what was going on, and she hoped that the others didn't have the best view either.


Moments later Jan Di felt the tingling sensation of numbness setting into her lower half. Ji Hoo her forehead and placed a kiss upon it.

"You're doing great, my love."

"I'm going to make the incision now, Kiddo," Dr. Jang relayed.

"You ready, my love?" Ji Hoo asked. Jan Di gave a determined nod, and he squeezed her hand.

Dr. Jang placed the scalpel delicately upon Jan Di's abdomen and made the incision with deft hand. He had demanded only perfection from himself and the team for this particular surgery.

The sensation was very strange for Jan Di, but she felt no pain, and she was reassured with Ji Hoo by her side. Ji Hoo delicately wiped her brow with his handkerchief when drops of perspiration began to form.

And she had to admit that she had no qualms about putting herself and her baby in the hands of Dr. Jang. The team suctioned and began the process of bringing Jan Di and Ji Hoo's little boy into the world…


The procedure was surprisingly short. Jan Di felt a slight tugging, and then before she and Ji Hoo knew it Dr. Jang had cut the umbilical cord and was holding up their son

To their great disappointment he was quickly taken away to be cleaned and suctioned. For a moment Jan Di and Ji Hoo were fearful because they did not hear his cry. But then they heard it, the cry of their son…

Ji Hoo felt he had never heard a more beautiful sound in this world. His ears had been privileged to the most exquisite music in the world, yet none of it came close to hearing his son's tiny voice for the first time.

And then their baby boy, about the size of a small watermelon was handed back to Dr. Jang, and he held him up for Jan Di and Ji Hoo to see. Their baby was small and wrinkled, with a tuft of rust-colored hair atop his head. Jan Di and Ji Hoo stared in awe at the mini version of themselves with tears in their eyes. Then, they shared a look of pure contentment, and Ji Hoo kissed Jan Di's forehead.

"You were amazing…," he said before turning his eyes back to their son.

The newborn squirmed within Dr. Jang's arms, and his tiny fingers and toes reflexively curled. After a few moments he opened his large dark eyes to look around his new world, still crying softly. He settled his gaze upon Jan Di and Ji Hoo, and the crying stopped.

Jan Di felt tears roll down her cheeks, as she grasped Ji Hoo's hand and he laid his other atop hers. Ji Hoo felt an overwhelmingly warm sensation within his chest. His son had arrived!

"He's so…so…perfect," Jan Di muttered. "He is," Ji Hoo instantly agreed. And they could not tear their eyes from him; it was a more incredible experience than either of them had imagined.


Dr. Jang prepared to place the baby upon Jan Di's chest, but he was informed to wait. Words couldn't express Jan Di and Ji Hoo's disappointment when their baby was snatched away for a routine check-up before they were allowed to hold him. Ji Hoo so longed to hold his precious son in his arms with his beloved Jan Di.

Then, Dr. Jang and the team returned their attention to finishing the procedure. And Ji Hoo's focus shifted to Jan Di.

Ji Hoo's blissful reality was shattered in an instant when he felt Jan Di's hand that had been squeezing his only seconds before go lifeless within his. Her eyes closed and her head lolled back. He quickly placed an arm behind her head in support.

"Jan Di-yah, Jan Di!" Ji Hoo felt his stomach drop out, and he was suddenly finding it very difficult to maintain basic functioning.

Then Ji Hoo heard the devastating sound of the monitor behind him, indicating that Jan Di's vital signs were dropping, and he knew immediately that she was in trouble.

Dr. Jang heard it, too. His head shot to to the monitor and then back to Jan Di. Beads of sweat welled up on his now wrinkled brow upon noticing the problem. No…

"Dr. Yoon, please leave," Dr. Jang said in as steady a voice as he could muster.

Ji Hoo was unable to see clearly what was happening but was able hear the monitor screaming behind him, as he held Jan Di's limp hand.

"No! What's going on?" Ji Hoo demanded in a voice laced with pure panic.

"It's postpartum hemorrhage, likely due to the placental previa," one of the neonatal surgeons said.

The color immediately drained from Ji Hoo's face, matching the paleness of Jan Di's.

Dr. Jang had taken control of the room and was barking orders to tie off the blood vessels and control the bleeding.

"BP is dropping rapidly...," a member of the surgical team called out.

Dammit… "Dr. Yoon, please get out!" Dr. Jang urged a second time, raising his voice slightly. No response. "Dr. Yoon!"

Still clutching Jan Di's hand, Ji Hoo haphazardly reached for something with his other to stabilize himself. Ji Hoo felt his knees buckling and suddenly he could no longer feel his legs. He grasped at the air for something to keep him upright, but he was instead caught by a nearby surgeon.

"Get Dr. Yoon out of here!" Dr. Jang barked, and two members of the surgical team practically dragged a disoriented Ji Hoo from the operating room. Woo Bin and Yi Jeong quickly relieved the surgeons of their burden, each catching Ji Hoo by an arm, calling his name, and asking if he was alright. He was repeatedly muttering Jan Di's name.


Grandfather put a hand on Ji Hoo's back, "Are you OK, my boy?" Ji Hoo didn't answer. Joon Pyo looked to Ji Hoo and then back to Jan Di in the operating room, clenching his jaw and hugging himself tight.

Ji Hoo was staring blankly into the operating room. If his mind had lungs, it would be screaming at the top of them right now. No, no, no; this can't be happening, NO! Standing only through physical support from two of his best friends and barely maintaining sanity, Ji Hoo attempted to calm his ransacked mind. He told himself that everything would be fine. He told himself that he needed to be strong for Jan Di.

And then Jan Di's heart stopped… She wasn't breathing…

"No!" Dr. Jang shouted. They all exchanged desperate glances with one another and stared into the operating room, as Dr. Jang and the team immediately began resuscitation.

And at that moment, Ji Hoo, the level-headed one, the epitome of calmness completely unraveled. Was his worst fear coming true at this very moment? And here he was, helpless to stop it!

Ji Hoo retreated from this world and into his own internal one. His mind was caught up in a whirlwind of thoughts and memories, all centered around Jan Di. His Jan Di, his otter, his one true love…

In a flash he could see her: her pretty face, her eyes crinkling, her lips curving up slightly in that smile she gave when she was amused or being playful… He could hear her: the way she would say his name, the way she would yell when she was angry about some injustice… He could feel her: the warmth of her touch upon his hand, the softness of her lips upon his…

Then, a flood of memories swept him away: the first time he saw her, kissing her on the beach in New Caledonia, playing the piano together, their first date, their wedding, their honeymoon… Each precious moment was playing out before him on a sweetly torturous loop: their hugs, their kisses, their touches, their friendship, and their love…

He couldn't imagine his life without her. Every ounce of happiness he had was wrapped up within her… He couldn't even think of his son right now.

"Jan Di, I love you, I need you; I can't live without you…please don't leave me!" were his silent pleas.

Ji Hoo murmured Jan Di's name, and then blank…


Yi Jeong had gone to Ga Eul and was holding her tightly for comfort. Tears were now streaming down her face, and she was sobbing lightly. Woo Bin had his hand on Ji Hoo's shoulder, and Grandfather had a hand on his back. And they were all staring into the operating room in utter desperation.

When Ji Hoo began to collapse, Woo Bin and Grandfather caught him, and Yi Jeong rushed to relieve Grandfather. Joon Pyo glanced between Jan Di and Ji Hoo. Yi Jeong, Woo Bin, and Grandfather were repeatedly calling Ji Hoo's name, but he was giving no reaction. His eyes were vast and empty as black holes.

"Joon Pyo…" Yi Jeong looked desperately to Joon Pyo, as if asking what they should do. No one was truly thinking clearly.

Joon Pyo turned his eyes to F3. F2 was supporting a practically catatonic Ji Hoo. Joon Pyo had heard that Ji Hoo was once this way as a child, but he'd never seen him in such a state, and frankly it scared the hell out of him.

Joon Pyo shut his eyes tightly and clenched his jaw. He looked at Jan Di and then back to F3.

"Yi Jeong, Woo Bin, get Ji Hoo out of here!" Joon Pyo demanded.

Yi Jeong and Woo Bin took Ji Hoo by each arm to lead him away. Yi Jeong looked tenderly at his wife. "Jagiya," Yi Jeong said softly, "please come, too." And Yi Jeong and Woo Bin led Ji Hoo out of the observation room. Ga Eul shot a last look to Jan Di through the glass before placing a hand to to stifle her sobs and rushing off after the others.


Joon Pyo folded his arms and stared into the operating room, as Dr. Jang and the team worked to revive Jan Di.

Joon Pyo was fighting back stinging tears and the overwhelming urge to put his fist through the glass, but he needed to be the strong one now. This helplessness that he was currently experiencing…, he despised it. And the thought of Jan Di leaving this world so soon, like this…no, he couldn't even think it!

He, Goo Joon Pyo, refused to accept it!

Jan Di, you're not weak; you're strong! You can't do this! You can't leave! He needs you, Jan Di! …We…need you, Jan Di!


"Dammit, Jan Di, don't do this…," Dr. Jang commanded as he pressed his hands into her chest to stimulate her heart. "…Jan Di, you never give up on anything, so I'm not letting you give up now! You can't leave…you have people who love you here…you have a son now who needs you…you have a husband who loves you more than anything…," he continued with the compressions.

"And….and…dammit, I love you, too, so I'm not letting you go!" Dr. Jang shouted. He brushed aside the oxygen mask, placed his mouth over Jan Di's, and breathed into her.

A/N: Sorry for the cliffhanger.  So, I'm going to take some artistic license here and we're going pretend that Ji Hoo's hair is naturally red. I thought it made their son a bit more special and Ji Hoo-ish by giving him reddish hair...