Misunderstandings

Like the Lotus: The Continuing Story

Alex sat in her office in New York City sifting through a stack of financial documents. It was another late night for her. Several months ago, Alex's father had fallen ill, and this had greatly increased her responsibilities. She was now running the New York branch for him.

When things came crashing down and the business fell into chaos, Alex stepped up to the plate. She'd rushed off to New York without any explanation to Joon Pyo. And they hadn't gotten to have a talk about their relationship beforehand. For awhile Joon Pyo was freezing her out for taking off without telling him, but after a few weeks he broke down and contacted her.

Things seemed to be more under control now, but dealing with the business and with her father's illness all at once was taking its toll on Alex. She still had mixed feelings about her father regarding his role in Joo-Won's death, but he was her father after all, so she had been doing her best to play the doting daughter.

Alex missed Joon Pyo greatly. And she could tell that he missed her, too. He complained at her a lot for leaving and for being gone so long. Alex felt she could really use Joon Pyo's help and support right now. More than anything, she simply wanted Joon Pyo to be around, but her pride would not allow her to ask for this.

Alex dug her finger into her temple. It had been hard to get down, but she managed it. That burning sensation in was her swallowing her pride. She sighed and picked up her phone.

"…Joon Pyo, how are you?" she asked wearily. Alex's secretary entered and poured her a glass of sparkling water. Alex mumbled a silent thank you.

Alex smiled at Joon Pyo's greeting. "How are Jan Di and the baby?"

"Good…," they exchanged a few pleasantries, "…Joon Pyo," she hesitated before whispering into the phone, "I miss you..."


Ji Hoo sat silently on the couch in Dr. Baek's office for a good 5 minutes, staring at his hands. Dr. Baek sat in her chair, one leg crossed over the other, and waiting patiently for him to say something.

Finally, he spoke, "I don't really know what I'm doing here..."

She smiled faintly, "Well, clearly something is troubling you…that's why you're here in my office, isn't it?"

Ji Hoo tightened his mouth. You could say that… Ji Hoo pondered for a moment and squeezed his knees. Suddenly, he rose from the couch. "I shouldn't have come. I'm sorry to waste your time…"

"You didn't," she replied immediately and stood.

He bowed to her and turned to leave.

"Wait, Dr. Yoon." He turned partially back. "Whenever you're ready to talk about it, I'll be here," she said.

Ji Hoo nodded and left the office.


Ji Hoo made several more attempts over the next two weeks to talk with Dr. Baek about his problem. He would make an appointment to speak with her, sit on the couch silently for 5 to 10 minutes—one day he made it up to 15—and then he would get up and excuse himself to leave.

Dr. Baek began to ask him some questions to facilitate a conversation and in attempt to guess at what his problem was. He would say very little, but from what she could piece together from what he gave her, she had determined that he was having some kind of issue related to his wife but that he did not want to burden her with it.

Ji Hoo was always very apologetic for taking up Dr. Baek's time, but she did not mind her bi-weekly visits from Dr. Yoon. She saw him once a week with Ha-Joon and once alone. He fascinated her, and she truly wanted to help him with whatever he was going through. And she had to admit that she rather enjoyed his company, even if he said very little.


Dr. Jang picked up his phone to call Jan Di from the hospital. She would be returning from maternity leave in a few days. Despite being surrounded by patients and colleagues and having plenty to do, he found things to be a bit dull without her. She always made things more interesting and had a way of brightening his day. And he had to admit, he missed her.

Dr. Jang always found some excuse to call her up. Today, he had a good one. One of Jan Di's chronic patients had returned, and he refused to allow anyone else to treat him. He was a crotchety old beast of a man, who Jan Di had managed to charm.

"Hey Kiddo, guess who's back?" Dr. Jang asked into the phone.

"Ohh, Mr. Gwon?!"

"That's right, and he's kicked out three different doctors, including me, and he insists upon seeing you…even though I told him you're at home with your new baby…," Dr. Jang shook his head.

"Is that so?" Dr. Jang could almost picture Jan Di putting her hands upon her tiny hips. "Put him on," Jan Di demanded.

Dr. Jang entered Mr. Gwon's room, and he immediately started grumbling until Dr. Jang shoved the phone at him, "Dr. Yoon is on the line," and when Mr. Gwon looked confused, Dr. Jang clarified, "…You know, the pretty lady doctor, as you call her."

Dr. Jang crossed his arms and watched the change in Mr. Gwon's face in amusement. Mr. Gwon's brow wrinkled, and he tightened his jaw at whatever Jan Di was saying on the other end. Dr. Jang could faintly hear Jan Di's loud voice scolding him, and he appeared as a child being reprimanded.

"Well, I uh…OK…," Mr. Gwon stammered and then handed the phone roughly back to Dr. Jang.

Dr. Jang turned from Mr. Gwon and smiled, "What did you say to him, Kiddo?"

"Oh, I just gave him a little lecture about his health, and then I told him that if he didn't let my seonsaengnim treat him that there was going to be trouble when I got back…"

Dr. Jang gave a short laugh, as he shot an, "I'll be back," and pointed to Mr. Gwon before walking out of his room.

"You're amazing, Kiddo," Dr. Jang said, more affectionately than he'd intended. "I can already tell you're going to be a strict mother," he chuckled.

"I don't know. Ji Hoo might be the strict one."

Dr. Jang's smile faded slightly, "…Well, I guess I better let you get back to your son. Sorry to bother you."

Jan Di ensured it was no problem, and they said their goodbyes.


Jan Di had returned to work from her maternity leave. To the best of Dr. Jang's knowledge, Jan Di was not aware of what he'd said in the operating room, and he planned to keep it that way. When Dr. Jang found out who blabbed about his confession to Jan Di, he had made some not-so-veiled threats about never speaking of it again.

Jan Di was glad to be back at the hospital, but she still felt torn. It had been incredibly difficult leaving her nearly two-month old, despite knowing he was in the very capable hands of the nanny and Grandfather. She kept thinking about what she could be missing out on...

Jan Di's work kept her busy, and Dr. Jang attempted to take her mind off Seok-young. He assured her that every parent feels that way at first, and he did his best to make her laugh. It worked part of the time, and the other times she simply pretended. Ji Hoo also reassured Jan Di about Seok-young and had prevented her from calling to check on him more than a few times.

Sometimes Jan Di would sneak a call home in, and once Grandfather had told her off. Jan Di recalled the conversation.

"I have it completely under control, young lady! Do you think I don't know how to care for my own great-grandson?" he barked.

"O-of course, I know you can, Grandfather. It's just that I…missed him…"

Grandfather had not actually been angry with her. And Ji Hoo couldn't help but chuckle when Jan Di hung her head and almost childishly told him, "Grandfather yelled at me for checking in on Seok-young…" Ji Hoo teased that he had warned her about it and then gave her a hug.

Jan Di had to admit that sometimes she went a little overboard with checking in on Seok-young, but she was a mother now, and it had completely changed her. How could she possibly be expected to not miss her infant son like crazy? She was practically bursting with love for the boy. She adored everything about him, his sweet little face, his tiny fingers that would grasp hold of her thumb when she was near, his teeny-tiny toes, the way his eyes would crinkle up when he smiled at her. There was an actual physical ache in her chest when she was away from him.

Jan Di was sure that the men could not possibly understand this kind of love. Ji Hoo and Grandfather loved Seok-young like crazy, but still a mother's love was something different entirely… She did not think that she loved their son more than Ji Hoo, but the bond of mother and child was unique, special…

My Seok-young…, Jan Di thought tenderly.

Seok-young seemed to captivate everyone he came into contact with. He clearly had his father and Grandfather in the palm of his tiny hands, and even the amazing F3 was no match for his charms. Seok-young had proven once and for all, what Jan Di had always suspected, that they were all a bunch of softies.

Despite Jan Di's initial objections, Joon Pyo had already made Seok-young an official member of F4. So, it would be F5 now, she supposed… Jan Di wasn't sure what all this would entail for her baby, obviously just some honorary title for the time being. But there was already talk from the group of whisking Seok-young off for some male bonding. Jan Di had rolled her eyes at that. How much 'male bonding' can they do with a two-month old?

Jan Di imagined Seok-young as an adolescent, though it pained her to think of him growing up already. She imagined that the girls would go nuts for him. And she hoped he wouldn't fall into pulling childish pranks, or worse…but no, he had far better role models now.


Ji Hoo's work demands had increased, and Jan Di noticed that he continued to be preoccupied… Ji Hoo was a quiet person by nature, but he'd always talked to her about what was on his mind. At the very least she could drag it out of him… Lately she'd been failing at even that. He seemed weary. They rarely met at their stairwell these days or got to have lunch together. She was always disappointed when he couldn't meet with her or had to cancel their little stairwell dates, but she did her best to be understanding.

When Jan Di was bummed out about Ji Hoo she would take the slightest bit of refuge in her friendship with Dr. Jang, though never mentioning what was actually bothering her. But even Dr. Jang seemed strange lately. He was quieter, too. And then there was some weird unspoken tension between Dr. Jang and Ji Hoo when they were in the same room, like two alpha dogs facing off. Jan Di wondered if perhaps something had happened between them. What was the deal with the men in her life these days?


It was a typical day at the hospital. Jan Di and Dr. Jang jumped into action when the EMTs brought in a man who was having a heart attack. Dr. Jang spoke with the lead of the EMTs, a spunky woman in her early thirties.

The female EMT immediately informed Dr. Jang of the action they had taken and that they had given the patient aspirin. Dr. Jang asked if they had verified the patient's medical history.

"Of course we did…Dr. Jang," she sassily replied, glancing at his ID badge. She then filled Dr. Jang in on what they'd learned. The female EMT—her name was Soo Wan, he noticed—smirked at Dr. Jang before taking her leave. The patient was stabilized and sent to the cardiac care unit.

Jan Di had noticed the female EMT before. She often brought patients in to the emergency room, though she and Dr. Jang were not always there. Jan Di had noticed the hint of a spark between the EMT girl and Dr. Jang. Jan Di was not usually the type to meddle in such things, but Dr. Jang had seemed so lonely lately…

Jan Di moved to stand beside Dr. Jang, who was scribbling off orders for tests to be done. Jan Di stood close and grinned up at him. He glanced down at her and smirked, "What is it, Kiddo? Can I help you with something?"

"Oh, nothing…I was just thinking…it seems like that female EMT likes you, Seonsaengnim," Jan Di nudged Dr. Jang lightly with her elbow.

"You think?" he replied with disinterest, still writing and not looking at her.

"Yeah, and she was pretty cute, right? …Why don't you ask her out?"

Dr. Jang smirked, "Since when are you so nosy?" Jan Di just stared at him.

He rolled his eyes, "I don't know if I'm ready to start doing that…"

"You gotta get back on the horse sometime, Seonsaengnim…"

Dr. Jang nearly burst out laughing. "Back on the horse? Where did you pick up that phrase?" Jan Di chuckled.

She knew it was none of her business, but she was concerned for her boss and friend. He was always at the hospital, and it seemed to have taken its toll on him lately, so she persisted.

"Seonsaengnim, you should go out and have fun sometimes, you know?" Jan Di hesitated, hoping she wasn't overstepping her bounds as a friend, "...Is there anyone that you do like and would consider asking out?"

Dr. Jang looked at her then looked away and sighed. Ever since Jan Di's near death and his impulsive confession of love he couldn't seem to get her out of his head… "Well, there's this girl I really like…that I can't seem to get off my mind lately…," Dr. Jang said.

"Really?" Jan Di perked up, "What's she like?"

Dr. Jang smiled to himself, "Well, she's…really stubborn, clumsy, hot-headed…," he chuckled and looked off into the distance, "But she's also sweet, caring, and really cute…," he looked back at Jan Di. Something in his gaze made her turn away.

"Um, well it sounds like you really like her, Seonsaengnim," Jan Di said, not looking at him, "Why don't you ask her out?"

Jan Di cleared and turned back to him, "Surely she'd go for a handsome, distinguished doctor like you, Seonsaengnim," she smiled and slapped him on the back.

Despite the compliment, he frowned, "I would, but she's completely unavailable..."

"Oh, I see," Jan Di looked down, "I'm sorry…"

Dr. Jang shrugged, "Eh, it is what it is…," he paused and gave Jan Di a playful grin, "Still, if she was available, I think I could make her happy…," he gave Jan Di a wink. Jan Di's eyes grew slightly wide in surprise and she gave a nervous chuckle, "Um, I'm sure you could, Seonsaengnim."

Dr. Jang turned from Jan Di, feeling disgusted with himself. Ugh, what am I doing…flirting shamelessly like this with a married woman?! I really, really need a girlfriend…

Dr. Jang turned back to Jan Di, as if he'd come to a conclusion, "You know, maybe I will ask that EMT girl out…"

"Great! If I'm available, I could even babysit again for you if you need me to." She prayed that it wouldn't go anything like it had last time.


The evening of Dr. Jang's date arrived. He answered the door to find Jan Di on the other side. "Hello Seonsaen—" before she could finish he snatched her by the arm and pulled her in, "Good, you're here." He seemed a bit frantic. He wore a white button-up that was tucked in loosely and dark gray slacks.

"What's going on, Seonsaengnim?"

He ran his hand through his hair, "Uh, just having second thoughts about this whole thing…"

"Why?"

"I don't know… I haven't been on a date in…," he paused, appearing to do the math in his head, "Well, let's just say it's been awhile."

Jan Di nodded.

"For starters, I don't know what to wear. Why don't you come in and give me a woman's opinion?" he asked.

"Ok," she said and he ushered her into his bedroom. He pulled out two suits and held them up. "Which one?"

Jan Di began to make a face but stifled it, "Uh, they're nice, but what else do you have?"

He began rifling through his walk-in closet.

"You know, Ji Hoo would be much better at this than me. He knows much more about men's fashion than I do."

Jan Di thought of Ji Hoo. He had been weird about her going over to Dr. Jang's to babysit when she informed him of her offer. When she thought about it, Ji Hoo had been acting strangely about any mention of her friendship with Dr. Jang lately. And when she'd told him that Dr. Jang seemed lonely and that she had been trying to help him find a girlfriend Ji Hoo had rather sharply told her that she should stay out of it. She hadn't realized Ji Hoo was so against matchmaking, and sure it was the type of thing that could come back to bite someone, but she didn't really see how what she had done could cause any harm. But, she decided she would stay out of it from now on, and she told Ji Hoo that.

Dr. Jang made a face behind her back at her comment. Asking Dr. Yoon for fashion tips was the last thing Dr. Jang wanted to do, almost… "Well, I don't know if we exactly have the same taste," he said. Except perhaps in women…

Dr. Jang held up two more suits. "Which do you like better?"

Jan Di looked between them. "That one," she pointed to a dark gray suit. "That one is very nice."

Dr. Jang nodded, and Jan Di stepped out to allow him to get dressed. Shi-Woo had since entered the living room and came up to her. "Hey buddy!" She picked him up and spun him around.

Dr. Jang came out a few moments later in the slate-colored suit Jan Di had selected. He jokingly struck a model pose, "What do you think?" Jan Di stifled a laugh at her superior's goofiness and gave a small clap. "Very nice, Seonsaengnim, I think she'll like it."

Dr. Jang breathed a sigh, "OK, then. Now, what else… Oh, a tie…"

He went back to his room and grabbed the first tie he saw hanging in his closet. He brought it back out and held it up against the suit. Jan Di made a face, "Erm, that's hideous, Seonsaengnim…," she said sheepishly.

"Ya! You don't pull any punches, do you Kiddo?"

Jan Di chuckled, "Sorry."

"OK, fine…" He pulled out a couple more ties and Jan Di chose one for him.

Once he was finally ready, she looked him over. She pursed her lips, and he awaited anxiously, her face unreadable. Finally, she gave a nod of her head. She smiled widely and gave him a thumbs-up. Her smile was infectious, and he returned it.


Jan Di returned home from babysitting around 10:30. She went to the nursery to check on Seok-young, who was fast asleep. She leaned down and kissed his forehead and then she went to the living room. Ji Hoo was sitting in his chair reading. She watched him put his book down, hang his head lightly, and rub his temple. "Is everything OK?" she asked from behind him across the room.

He turned in his chair, as if just realizing she'd come in. "Oh, Jan Di, you're home. Yes, fine. Seok-young went right to sleep tonight."

It wasn't really what she'd been asking about. "Oh, OK, good," she nodded. He gave her a faint smile. "How was babysitting?" he asked off-handedly, turning from her.

"It was fine. I felt bad, though. Dr. Jang got paged and had to leave his date early to go to the hospital."

Ji Hoo nodded, "That's too bad," he picked up his book.

Jan Di began to speak but instead quickly closed the distance between them and wrapped an arm around Ji Hoo's neck from behind. She leaned in and buried her face in his hair. "Why won't you tell me what's wrong?" she whispered helplessly, squeezing him tighter, "I know…something has been bothering you… Please tell me. I want to help…please…"

Ji Hoo tightened his mouth. He placed his book in his lap and gave her arm a light squeeze. "I'm fine, Jan Di-yah, really. I've just been…tired," he said calmly.

Jan Di sighed, nearly at her limit. She loosened her grip to leave, but Ji Hoo caught her arm before she could slip away and held her there. He closed his eyes and took in the comfort that her warmth and her scent brought to him. Even without speaking, she was by far the best medicine for his mood. They remained like that for a few more minutes, neither of them speaking a word. Ji Hoo hesitantly released her, and she slid her arm from around his neck to briefly rest on his shoulder. Jan Di's lips parted to speak, to press him further, but she decided to let it go for tonight. She sighed inaudibly and walked away.


A few days later, Ji Hoo made his way resolutely to Dr. Baek's office. He resolved to put an end to this whole pathetic thing. It didn't matter if he was suffering, but now he was bringing Jan Di down, the person he wanted to spare. Ji Hoo thought of the other night when Jan Di had practically begged him to talk to her. It broke his heart that she seemed to be agonizing as much as he.

Why can't I just talk to her about it?

Dr. Baek smiled widely and greeted Ji Hoo, as he stepped into her office, seemingly on a mission. They exchanged pleasantries, and he sat down. Dr. Baek smoothed out her skirt and placed her hands in her lap. She watched Ji Hoo for a moment. She could almost hear the gears turning within his head.

Dr. Baek decided to dive right in, "Have you talked to your wife about the problem yet?"

"No, and I know I need to. I knew that I should from the start, but I couldn't bring myself to…and a few nights ago, she asked me to tell her what was wrong, but I said nothing…"

"You know, it seems to me that you and your wife don't always communicate like you should. And it seems that it's usually because you are trying to protect her from something… Why is that, Dr. Yoon?"

"It's because…I can't help but protect her…the instinct to protect her is…as natural as breathing to me…"

Dr. Baek nodded. "I understand. But sometimes you may think you're protecting her when you're actually not. Trust is also very important… And not just trust that the other person will be honest with you, but trust that your partner can handle something and be accepting. Tell me, Dr. Yoon, do you think your wife is weak?"

"Of course not."

"Do you think she is too fragile to deal with whatever it is that you're not telling her?"

"No…," Ji Hoo paused and stared hard at his hands, "I am the one who is weak…I failed her…," he finally uttered.

"What did you fail her at Dr. Yoon?" Ji Hoo was silent.

Dr. Baek pursed her lips. "I don't know what it is that you think you failed at, Dr. Yoon. And I can tell that you're not a man who fails often, but do you think your wife wouldn't be able to forgive you for this failure?"

"No, she would, and she would try to make me feel better. But I…can't forgive myself…"

Dr. Baek nodded. She decided to bring up what Ji Hoo refused to. "Does this have anything to do with your wife nearly dying in child birth…when you shut down...?"

Ji Hoo flinched noticeably, and she knew she'd struck a chord. He squeezed his hands together.

"Why do you think that happened?" she asked.

Ji Hoo took a deep breath and shut his eyes. "I suppose it's because…I couldn't cope with the possibility of losing her…"

Dr. Baek nodded.

"You see…I'm weak…," he repeated, "And if it wasn't for…others…she could have…," he swallowed hard, unable to form the word.

To Ji Hoo's surpise, Dr. Baek smiled at him, "You're not weak, Dr. Yoon," she leaned forward, "…You're just a man who loves his wife very much. And that is…a beautiful thing."

He looked at her.

"Love can make a person strong, too. If you're concerned with feeling weak, then make the chain stronger. Two links are stronger than one, are they not?"

Ji Hoo seemed to consider this. He covered his mouth with his hand, and it appeared to Dr. Baek that he was having some kind of internal discussion with himself. The change in his face indicated he had some kind of epiphany.

Then, Ji Hoo rose suddenly. Dr. Baek did the same. Ji Hoo took one of Dr. Baek's dainty hands within both of his. "Thank you," he said with sincerity, smiling warmly at her.

Dr. Baek was taken aback. She blinked and managed to stammer, "You're welcome…," not fully sure of what she had really done. He seemed to have worked it out mostly on his own and internally. But the thought of actually helping him in some small way coupled with the brilliant smile he was now giving her brought a warm sensation to Dr. Baek. And she smiled in return. Ji Hoo released her hand, bowed, and took his leave.


Jan Di finished her rounds. She had hoped to take a break with Ji Hoo, but he had gone for a session with Dr. Baek. She studied a chart, turning around when she felt a tugging on her lab coat.

Jan Di glanced down, "Ha-Joon? What are you doing here? Did you just come from your session?"

"Um, no…I didn't have one today. …Is Dr. Yoon here?" the boy asked nervously, looking around. He wore a backpack.

"Oh. You didn't have one today? I thought you did…," Jan Di's stomach dropped. Did Ji Hoo lie to me? He said he had a session today with Dr. Baek… Did he go to see her without Ha-Joon? Perhaps he just went to talk to her about Ha-Joon…?

Ha-Joon was staring up at Jan Di, who seemed to be elsewhere. Jan Di blinked a few times and then snapped back to reality, "Um, he's here, but he may be busy...," she replied. Jan Di kneeled down before Ha-Joon. "Ha-Joon, where is your aunt? Who's here with you?"

"Um," he fidgeted, "Can you just find Dr. Yoon for me, please?"

Jan Di looked at Ha-Joon suspiciously. He seemed to be avoiding all eye contact with her now. "I'll page him, but you need to tell me what's going on first."

Ha-Joon exhaled and stared down at his tennis shoes. "OK, I…ran away…"

Jan Di's lips parted, "Ahh, I see. Do you want to tell me about it?"

Ha-Joon shook his head.

"OK, I'm going to page Dr. Yoon, but I also have to call your aunt. She'll be worried sick. If my child was missing, I would be going crazy…," Jan Di paged Ji Hoo.

"I'm not her child…," Ha-Joon replied immediately. Jan Di gave him a sympathetic look.

Ji Hoo arrived shortly after Jan Di's page. She shot him a look that seemed to indicate her unhappiness with him but then put it away.

Ji Hoo studied Jan Di for a moment before turning to the boy next to her, "Ha-Joon, what's going on?" he asked.

"He ran away, Ji Hoo," Jan Di explained. "I've called his aunt, and she's on her way, but maybe you two should have a little talk before she arrives." Jan Di ruffled Ha-Joon's hair and turned to walk off, barely looking at Ji Hoo. Ji Hoo sighed and put an arm on Ha-Joon's shoulder. "Do you want to tell me about it?" he asked, directing Ha-Joon to go for a walk with him. Ji Hoo shot a glance over his shoulder at Jan Di's back as she walked away.

Jan Di walked off, her mind running wild and her insides in turmoil.


The next afternoon, Jan Di was off and Ga Eul had come to visit after school ended. The girls had been talking and playing with Seok-young. Jan Di laid down Seok-young for a nap. They watched him for a moment, as he his thumb and clutched his stuffed bunny. Jan Di led Ga Eul to the living room with baby monitor in hand. The two friends sat down.

"He's so adorable, Jan Di," Ga Eul said.

"Yeah, he really is," Jan Di smiled but it quickly faded.

"What is it, Jan Di-yah?"

Jan Di sighed and rubbed her hands across her jeans. She paused for a moment before saying, "Oh, it's Ji Hoo…"

"What about him?"

"Well, something's going on with him, and he won't tell me… I just know something is wrong, but he won't talk about it. I feel like…he and I are not as close these days…"

Ji Hoo had always been a quiet person, but she could usually convince him to talk. He usually confided in her, but why was he not now? Was it something she had done? Was it because of her…?

Ga Eul listened and watched Jan Di with a sympathetic look.

"You don't think…it's me who is the problem? Like, maybe…Ji Hoo is…," she felt a bit pathetic saying it, "…tired of me, do you, Ga Eul?"

"Oh Jan Di, that's ridiculous!" Ga Eul exclaimed.

Jan Di's eyes were downcast. "I know…that's what I was thinking…," she said, "…But it happens sometimes…when couples have been together for awhile, right?" Jan Di mumbled, dejected.

"Jan Di, look at me." Ga Eul took her friend's hand, causing Jan Di to look up and meet her eyes.

"I've never seen somone love another person more than Ji Hoo Sunbae loves you…" It was the kind of love that Ga Eul also felt flowing from Yi Jeong. "Jan Di, after you gave birth and you hemorrhaged and stopped breathing…we all thought you might be…dead. It was terrifying, and we were all a mess, but Ji Hoo Sunbae…he completely broke down."

"What?" Jan Di's brow furrowed.

Ga Eul sighed, "Yes, he went catatonic, and no one could get him to respond. It was really scary… We found out about 10 minutes later that you were OK…wow, that was the scariest 10 minutes of my life…but Ji Hoo Sunbae was still that way… Joon Pyo Sunbae was finally able to get him to respond after repeatedly telling him that you were OK."

"I didn't know that," Jan Di mumbled sadly, "He didn't tell me that..."

"He probably didn't want you to feel bad. None of us did. We didn't see any reason to tell you all the details. We were just so relieved that you were OK, that all three of you were…," Ga Eul released Jan Di's hand and put hers on Jan Di's shoulder.

Jan Di squeezed the baby monitor.

Ga Eul studied Jan Di. "I'm telling you this because I want to remind you of how much your husband loves you. Ji Hoo Sunbae could never be tired of you… I hope that you two will be able to talk and work it out soon."

Jan Di nodded, "But, I think…," she paused, "…He may be going to see Dr. Baek… She's the psychiatrist at the hospital…"

Ga Eul pursed her lips.

"Do you think that's still bothering him…?"

"Maybe… But, I think that you and Ji Hoo Sunbae need to have a talk and work everything out." Jan Di nodded. "And maybe the two of you need some time together…you've both been really busy with work and with the baby…," Ga Eul added.

"We do both have this weekend off, but I always feel bad leaving Seok-young… The nanny is off. Grandfather could be here, and I know he'd love it, but I feel bad asking him…"

"Oh, could I watch him, Jan Di?"

"Really?"

"Yes, I'd love to watch Seok-young!"

"Well, OK…"

"Why don't you and Ji Hoo Sunbae go on a date?" Ga Eul suggested, excitedly, "And you should take the whole night, too!"

"Um, OK…"


Due to Ga Eul's insistence, Ji Hoo and Jan Di went out for a date night that Saturday. First, they went for a nice, romantic dinner in the city. Ga Eul had been a little too insistent upon them staying out the entire night and getting a hotel and ensured that she and Yi Jeong would stay and watch the baby. Jan Di was feeling a bit funny about it.


Ga Eul fed Seok-young a bottle. She and Yi Jeong were at Jan Di and Ji Hoo's home.

"Jagiya, why are we watching the baby again?" Yi Jeong asked.

"So Jan Di and Ji Hoo Sunbae can spend some time together!"

Yi Jeong nodded. Ga Eul and Yi Jeong continued to play with Seok-young.

Awhile later, Yi Jeong was holding Seok-young and rocking him lightly. Suddenly, Yi Jeong stopped. His nose and silky-smooth brow wrinkled. "Um, Jagiya, there is a very foul odor being emitted from this baby…"

Ga Eul laughed when Yi Jeong held out Seok-young to her at arm's length, begging with his eyes for her to take him. Yi Jeong passed off Seok-young. Ga Eul laid him down on the changing pad and checked his diaper. Seok-young kicked his feet into the air. "Oh yeah, he needs changed. Good nose, Yi Jeong."

Yi Jeong scoffed, "How could I not smell that? That is by far the worst thing I have ever smelled in my life."

"It's completely natural, Yi Jeong. That's what babies do," Ga Eul said, stifling a giggle. Ga Eul couldn't help but get endless amusement from this. Ga Eul pulled out the diaper bag.

"Watch and learn, So Yi Jeong," Ga Eul grinned, "You may have to do this someday, my dear husband." Then, she winked at him.

Yi Jeong stared at her, stunned, "Jagiya, are you…?"

Ga Eul laughed, "No, silly! I just meant someday!" Too easy, Ga Eul thought. Yi Jeong flashed her a radiant smile. In reality, they both wanted children and had discussed the matter.

Ga Eul began changing the diaper. Yi Jeong had to stifle a gag at the overpowering scent that his nose was so unaccustomed to. He cringed and covered his mouth and nose. "I don't know how Ji Hoo does this…," Yi Jeong muttered through his hand.

"Well, he's a doctor, so I'm sure he's had to do much more disgusting things...," Ga Eul gave a short laugh, "Besides it's his son, and you get used to it… Could you hand me a fresh one?"

Yi Jeong nodded and pulled out a diaper and handed it to her. "How do you know about this, Jagiya?"

"Well, I have some young cousins…," Ga Eul said, completing the change.

"There we go, little guy, all fresh now!" Ga Eul smiled. "Yi Jeong, will you hold him while I dispose of this?"

"Sure," he said, deciding it was the better of the two tasks. Yi Jeong picked up Seok-young, who was now happily gurgling and smiling. Yi Jeong couldn't help but smile back at him. Ga Eul returned.

Suddenly, Ga Eul heard a splat sound. She turned and clenched her eyes tight upon seeing that Seok-young had just spit up on Yi Jeong's latest designer suit.

"Oh no, your new suit! I'm sorry, Jagiya…," Ga Eul said sympathetically, as she took Seok-young from a mortified Yi Jeong. She wiped Seok-young's mouth and then handed a wipe to Yi Jeong. Though I did warn you about not wearing nice clothes tonight… But Ga Eul wasn't the type to say "I told you so…"

Yi Jeong dabbed at the spot and then pulled off his jacket. He groaned.

Ji Hoo is going to pay for this…literally and figuratively…

"I guess I'm borrowing one of Ji Hoo's shirts…"Yi Jeong went to Ji Hoo's closet.

Ga Eul had put Seok-young down for the night. Yi Jeong returned after changing and stood beside Ga Eul at the crib. The boy was sleeping contentedly with his thumb in his mouth. Yi Jeong looked down at Seok-young, "I can see you're going to be trouble already," he said but then smiled affectionately at the baby and wrapped his arm around Ga Eul's waist.

"He is pretty cute, though, isn't he, Yi Jeong?" Yi Jeong grinned and squeezed Ga Eul tighter, "Yeah, he is cute, Jagiya…"


Jan Di had been quiet during dinner, and most of her food still remained, a clear red flag for Ji Hoo. Leaving her baby coupled with the still unresolved situation with Ji Hoo had her distracted and had her stomach in knots. She recalled a few days ago when she discovered that Ji Hoo had been to see Dr. Baek. They had not yet discussed that.

Jan Di had experienced a brief wave of jealousy then before sifting through a half-dozen or so explanations. After her conversation with Ga Eul, it made more sense. Perhaps Ji Hoo went there to talk to her about whatever had been bothering him lately. And then what she felt was hurt...

Why couldn't he talk to me about it?

Jan Di took her frustration out on her food, poking it and stabbing it. Ji Hoo glanced at her several times, while she slowly tormented her food. Ji Hoo put his utensils down and looked at her.

"Jan Di-yah…"

She looked up, still toying with her food. He put his hand over her free one and smiled faintly. After finishing dinner they walked silently along the Han River, as they had on their second date. Suddenly, Ji Hoo caught Jan Di by the arm and turned her to face him.

"Jan Di-yah… I want to explain about the other day...," and both knew what he meant. Ji Hoo had wanted to talk to her sooner, but he had the Ha-Joon situation to deal with and then work. She had been asleep when he got home and the next couple days were chaotic.

Jan Di silently waited. He looked into her eyes. "I went to Dr. Baek for a few…therapy sessions…for me…," he paused, feeling somehow ashamed to admit that.

Jan Di sighed, "I know. I figured it out." She was glad that he had finally admitted it, though.

Ji Hoo nodded, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you right away…"

Jan Di nodded. "Why didn't you?" she mumbled.

"I don't know…I guess…I was a bit embarrassed…" He did not receive quite the reaction he expected.

"Why would you talk to her and not me?!" Jan Di demanded, clenching her fists at her sides.

Ji Hoo was stunned silent for a moment. Jan Di turned away, her eyes slightly moistened. She hadn't meant for it to come out so possessive…

"Jan Di-yah…," he began, reaching for her. She turned away fully, her back to him.

"I knew something was bothering you…but you wouldn't talk to me about it… Why was that? Were you trying to drive me crazy?" she muttered.

"No, of course not," he said, looking down, "It's just that…"

"You had me thinking crazy things, like that…," she suddenly regretted speaking so freely, "…well, nevermind what I thought!" Jan Di turned back to him, "Then, Ga Eul told me about what happened when Seok-young was born."

Ji Hoo's lips parted, and he glanced downward. Ji Hoo exhaled. He moved closer and took hold of Jan Di's upper arms. He looked down into her eyes and noticed that a few tears had escaped. He wiped them with one hand, while holding her there by the arm with his other.

"Jan Di, just listen. Yes, I was struggling with what happened when Seok-young was born. And I thought I could work through it on my own, but I couldn't… So, I went to Dr. Baek because I didn't want to burden you with it. You have enough to worry about without my mental problems weighing you down…and I didn't want to be…letting you down."

"Why didn't you tell me what you went through? That you were still going through it…?," she asked sadly.

"I wanted to shelter you from that. Protecting you, Seok-young, and Grandfather, my family, that is my main concern. That's what I exist for."

Jan Di nodded, "I know that you've been hurting…and I hate when you're in pain…I absolutely hate it! I wanted so badly to help fix that... I understand that you didn't want to burden me or make me feel bad… But, what really hurt was that you wouldn't talk to me about it," she hung her head.

Ji Hoo wrapped his arms around Jan Di, "I know," he whispered, "…I realize that now." He began her hair, as she leaned stiffly against him.

"Sometimes when I'm trying to protect you, I'm actually hurting you… It's a hard habit to break, but I'm working on it." Ji Hoo continued to hold her, pulling her tighter. "But it wasn't just about protecting you…also, I was…ashamed…"

"Ashamed?"

"That I couldn't do anything for you, that I failed you…falling apart like that when you needed me to be strong. That I had to rely on others to save you…"

Jan Di pulled back and looked at Ji Hoo tenderly. "You didn't fail me. And you never could."

Ji Hoo smiled faintly, running his hands lightly up and down her arms. "I know you feel that way, and I knew that you would say that, but I can't help but feel that I did fail you... What if I fail again…? Perhaps I will even fail when no one else is there to bail me out. And now I'm a father… What if I fail Seok-young?"

"There's no doubt in my mind that you will always come through for Seok-young and me. You're my firefighter, remember? Our firefighter now. And nothing can change that."

Ji Hoo leaned in to place a burning kiss on her forehead, "Thank you, my otter."

"I don't want to keep things from you…," he said, "I want us to always be open and honest with each other, even when it's difficult to say."

Jan Di nodded, "Me too."

"We're a team," he said, "Right?"

Jan Di made a 'Fighting!' fist. "That's right," she chuckled.

Ji Hoo smiled and gave her a kiss. He s his hand into hers, and they walked along the river hand-in-hand, the city lights twinkling in the background. They talked about a lot of things that evening and cleared the air. Ji Hoo even admitted to Jan Di about Alex coming to him. Jan Di was a bit irritated at first, but she accepted it. Ji Hoo did not, however, tell Jan Di about Dr. Jang's confession. That was a conversation that Ji Hoo decided needed to be had between him and Dr. Jang and soon.


Jan Di and Ji Hoo returned to the hotel room that Ji Hoo had booked for the night and prepared for bed. Jan Di brushed her hair before the mirror after fighting the urge to text Ga Eul. Ji Hoo came up behind her and caught her around the waist. She smiled to herself and turned in his arms to face him, wrapping her arms around his neck. She gazed into his eyes lovingly, longingly. Ji Hoo leaned in and pressed his lips to hers. He had only intended to give her a simple kiss to show her how much he loved her, but months-worth of pent-up desire and frustration took over, for both of them. Ji Hoo cupped Jan Di's face in his hands, caressing her soft skin with his fingertips, and further deepening the kiss.

It had been some time since Ji Hoo had kissed her with such intensity, and as he moved his mouth slowly and insistently over hers, any doubts about his continued interest in her were eliminated. He ran his hands down her arms, across her back, pressing his fingers into her and further stimulating her.

Seok-young and work had been the priorities, and though they loved their son with all their hearts and were dedicated to their work they had missed out on each other. They had put each other on the back-burner, and it had to be done sometimes, but they both resolved to try harder to make more time for each other. And they were thankful to their friends for the opportunity to do so tonight.

Ji Hoo's lips moved from Jan Di's downward. Jan Di gasped lightly in pleasant surprise when Ji Hoo lifted her into his arms and then carried her bridal style.

"It's been far too long," he whispered, reassuring her further that he had missed this as much as she had.

She smiled and wrapped her arms tighter around his neck, "I agree…"


Jan Di and Ji Hoo were back at the hospital, and everyone around had noticed the change in their moods. They had been in extremely good ones the past few days.

Ji-a had returned to the hospital, and Jan Di had gone to visit her. She had gone into remission for 6 months, but regular check-ups were necessary. She was back for her PET scan and sat in the exam room with Jan Di. Jan Di showed Ji-a pictures of Seok-young.

"He's so cute, Doc! I'm so happy for you! But when are you going to bring him in for me to see him?"

"Well, I don't really want to expose him to sickness by bringing him into the hospital. And I was kind of hoping you wouldn't be in the hospital anymore, even though I missed you," Jan Di smiled.

Ji-a smiled in return, "I missed you, too, Doc. And Doc Yoon."

Jan Di smiled, "Well, I thought you might say that, so…I have a surprise for you." As if on cue, Ji Hoo came strolling into the room, and Ji-a's eyes lit up.

"Once I told him that you were here he had to immediately come," Jan Di said. She glanced to Ji Hoo and smiled, "I think perhaps I should be jealous."

Ji Hoo grinned at Jan Di. He took a seat beside Ji-a and put a hand on her shoulder. "Hey, there, Kid. How have you been?" Ji Hoo revealed his flawless smile that even seemed to put a blush on the younger girls' faces.

Ji-a smiled. "Good. And you, Doc?"

"I'm just great. After all, I get to hang out with the two prettiest girls in the hospital."

Ji-a smirked at him and turned to Jan Di. "Does he always say stuff like that?"

Jan Di smiled at Ji-a and the three of them laughed.


Later that day, Jan Di stopped by to check Ji-a's scan. Jan Di's heart sank when the technician revealed that Ji-a had developed a cancerous tumor near her lung.

Jan Di lingered outside while the doctor told Ji-a and her parents. Jan Di watched a wave of devastation cross Ji-a's face, and Jan Di felt tears welling up. Ji-a's parents stepped out and greeted Jan Di and told her that Ji-a had asked for her. Jan Di went in.

Jan Di sat down beside Ji-a. Ji-a's eyes were downcast, and she appeared to be fighting back tears.

"I hoped I wouldn't have to go through it again, Doc…," Ji-a finally said. Jan Di put her hand over Ji-a's.

"I know, Ji-a, me too. But it's going to be OK, I promise."

"They want me to have surgery to remove the tumor," she said, "…I told my mom and dad that I want Doc Yoon to perform the surgery."

Jan Di nodded.

"I want to be brave, but I'm scared… I'm…really scared, but I…trust Doc Yoon."

"It's OK to be scared, Ji-a. And you're the bravest girl I know," Jan Di smiled faintly and squeezed Ji-a's hand.


Ji Hoo studied Ji-a's scan, while Jan Di, the technician, and Ji-a's primary doctor looked on.

"Well, the good news is that it hasn't spread further. The bad news is that it's in a very difficult spot…," Ji Hoo said. "Please prepare her for surgery in the morning."

Jan Di and Ji Hoo left the room. Jan Di went to Ji Hoo and crushed herself against his chest, clutching onto his shirt. "Ji Hoo-yah…," she sniffed.

Ji Hoo wrapped his arms around Jan Di and ran his hands up and down her back. "Don't worry, my love. I'll remove it," and he held her there tightly.


Alex had finally gone home to her penthouse for the night. It was after 8, and she was ready to collapse. She lay down on her bed, still fully dressed, and closed her eyes.

Just then, her phone rang. She answered it drowsily, eyes still closed.

The voice on the other end caused her eyes to shoot open. She sat upright, gripping the bed tightly. This cold, familiar voice on the other end was sending unpleasant shivers throughout her body.

For a moment, she was unable to speak and simply listened, trembling lightly. Finally, she was able to utter, "You…why are you calling me? What do you want?!"

A/N: Thoughts? Next chapter will be more Joon Pyo and hopefully much more exciting.