Seok-Young

Like the Lotus: The Continuing Story

Ji Hoo's POV

How could Jan Di just leave me in the blink of an eye like that?! What miserable existence is in store for me now? How will I possibly go on?

But, I have to go on, don't I, Jan Di-yah? I have to go on…for our son…

But, I don't want to go on… I feel so cold, so empty… I haven't felt this way since my parents died…

Without you, who am I? I'm nothing… If you don't exist, I don't want to exist…


"Ji Hoo-yah?" he heard her voice calling to him, but he could not see her… Suddenly, he was surrounded by a haze.

"Jan Di?!" Ji Hoo called for her, as he scanned through the fog…

He heard her sweet voice again, sweeter than anything he had ever tasted, "Ji Hoo-yah, what's wrong? I heard the emergency bell, so I came to help…," she said.

"Jan Di-yah! Where are you?!" He still could not see her; he was becoming frantic looking for her now...

Then, he finally saw her from a distance. He began to rush to her, but she seemed so far away…

"Jan Di! Jan Di!" he repeatedly called her name as he hastened toward where she stood. Yet, suddenly his legs felt so heavy, and he felt as though he was moving in slow motion.

Suddenly, Jan Di was there, standing before him. She looked almost ethereal. "Jan Di-yah, you're here?" He reached out to touch her, but it was as if a blockade had been erected between them.

"Of course I'm here, Ji Hoo-yah. I will always be here… Why do you look so sad?"

"It's because…I don't think I can go on without you… And I don't think I can raise our son without you…," he uttered miserably.

Jan Di's lips curved up slightly. "Babo," she whispered in a tone of amusement mixed with affection.

"What?"

"Babo…," she repeated, "…you won't have to raise our son without me… Of course we are going to raise him together!"

"But Jan Di, you're…aren't you…," he was struggling to form the word, "…dead?"


F2 supported Ji Hoo. They led him to the private waiting area and placed him in a chair. Joon Pyo returned after about 10 minutes.

"How is he?" Joon Pyo asked.

"He's still not responding to us," Yi Jeong replied.

"Ji Hoo-yah, wake up!" Joon Pyo leaned down and put his hands on Ji Hoo's shoulders. He shook him vigorously, but Ji Hoo did not appear to register the force. Joon Pyo looked into Ji Hoo's eyes, which were dark and empty and seemed to penetrate right through him. Joon Pyo clenched his jaw. "Aish! Yoon Ji Hoo, snap out of it!" Joon Pyo reared back as if to hit Ji Hoo.

"Joon Pyo! What are you doing?!" Woo Bin narrowly caught Joon Pyo's arm before he struck Ji Hoo. Yi Jeong put a hand to his head and rubbed lightly.

Joon Pyo looked to Woo Bin, his face tightened in desperation and his arm trembling within his friend's grasp. "He can't be like this; he needs to snap out of it!" Joon Pyo exclaimed.

"He's in shock, Joon Pyo," Grandfather calmly explained, as he made his way over, "He should lie down."


"Dead?" Jan Di questioned, "…Where did you get that idea, silly?" she smiled at Ji Hoo. He looked at her, slightly stunned.

"But, it is time for you to wake up…," Jan Di said.

"Wake up?" he asked, perplexed.

"Yes, everyone is worried about you. And our son wants to see his daddy… So, please wake up now," she smiled and turned from him to walk away.

"Jan Di, wait!" he shouted for her and began to pursue, but for some reason he could not catch her. His legs didn't even feel part of his body. He kept moving toward Jan Di's voice, which was sounding further and further away… She was repeating, "Wake up, time to wake up, Ji Hoo-yah…," as she'd said on many other occasions when trying to wake him from a nap or in the morning from a dead sleep.


Joon Pyo stood over Ji Hoo, who lay in a hospital bed with his feet elevated and a blanket over him. His eyes were open, but he didn't seem to be present in the room. F2 also stood around them.

"Yoon Ji Hoo, look at me! You listen to me! Hear my voice! Jan Di is alright, so you need to snap out of it! You need to wake up, wake up, so you can go and see her and your son!"


Ji Hoo stared after where Jan Di had been. He could no longer hear her voice. Just then, he heard another voice. Joon Pyo?


Ji Hoo blinked a few times and suddenly there was life in his eyes once more. His vision slowly came into focus. "Joon Pyo?"

"Yes, it's me."

"Jan Di, is she…OK?" he held his breath, fearful for Joon Pyo's answer.

"Yes, she's going to be fine."

"And my son?"

"He's fine, too. He's in the nursery."

Ji Hoo breathed a heavy sigh of relief and buried his face in his hands. Then, he quickly sat upright and began getting out of the bed. "Slowly, Ji Hoo-yah, slowly…perhaps you should rest a bit longer…," Yi Jeong said.

"No! I don't want to rest! I want to see Jan Di and my son right now," he demanded, and they helped him to stand. He needed to verify that Jan Di was in fact alive and that he had not just seen some ghost.


Dr. Jang sat at his desk in his office. He rubbed his temple, recalling his dramatic operating room confession to Jan Di's lifeless body before the operating team.

Dr. Jang exhaled sharply. What was I thinking?! Why did I say that?! He desperately hoped that Ji Hoo and Jan Di, especially, would never, ever find out what he said.

He glanced at the Eiffel Tower paper weight that Jan Di had given him, which resided on the corner of his desk. He picked it up and and turned it over in his hand.

He'd never really given much thought to his feelings for Jan Di. He felt…comfortable…with her. He felt close to her. He was able to talk to her about just about anything, despite their difference in status and the small age difference. And she was able to make him smile, even when he was in a bad mood.

What he'd said, it had just spouted from his mouth when he thought she was going to die. And she had been dead, clinically dead for a few agonizing minutes. And in those few minutes he had become a desperate man…and his chest had ached, painfully.

But, he had refused to accept it. And he would have done almost anything to bring her back… He hadn't realized how important she'd become to him. The thought of losing her was…excruciating

Dr. Jang sighed. He set the Eiffel Tower back down in its place and ran his fingers through his jet black slicked back tresses.

Mi-Kyung had been right… He did have a problem to deal with…

What now?

Love? I love her? Where the hell did that come from?

At most he'd thought that he cared for her as a dear friend. This emotion had snuck up on him, like a deadly assassin.

He resolved to just push down whatever this feeling was that he was having and never think of it again. He would certainly never speak of it again.

Dr. Jang scoffed at himself, "I need a girlfriend…" He gave a short laugh and shook his head.


Joon Pyo, Woo Bin, and Yi Jeong led Ji Hoo to Jan Di's room. Ji Hoo was walking very quickly. "What happened?" Ji Hoo asked as he made his way to her room.

Joon Pyo explained that Dr. Jang and the team had revived Jan Di and controlled the bleeding.

"She needed a transfusion. Joon Pyo was a match, so he donated blood," Yi Jeong said.

Ji Hoo stopped and looked at Joon Pyo appreciatively. He then noticed that Joon Pyo's sleeve was partially rolled up and he was bandaged. "Joon Pyo…"

"I know," Joon Pyo nodded, as if no further words were necessary.

Everyone really stepped up for Jan Di, while I did nothing…, Ji Hoo thought remorsefully.

They all continued toward Jan Di's room. A nurse was just leaving when they arrived.

"You can go on in, but she's sleeping now," the nurse said.

"Has she seen the baby?" Ji Hoo asked.

"No, she hasn't woken yet. But we expect her to at any time."

Ji Hoo nodded and bowed to the nurse.

F4 entered Jan Di's hospital room. She lay in the bed, hooked up to an IV and breathing on her own. Ga Eul and Grandfather sat beside Jan Di's bed. They both looked up when F4 arrived. Grandfather stood, looking relieved to see Ji Hoo conscious and standing, and Ga Eul rushed to them.

"Ji Hoo Sunbae. Are you alright?" she asked.

Ji Hoo nodded, staring at Jan Di lying in the bed. He moved past Ga Eul and went to Jan Di's bedside. Ji Hoo sat and took Jan Di's small hand in his. Grandfather placed a hand upon Ji Hoo's shoulder and patted lightly. "We'll give you a moment," he said, as he shuffled to the door and rounded up the group to leave. Joon Pyo shot a last glance to Jan Di before exiting the room.


Ji Hoo brought his forehead down to Jan Di's hand and rubbed against it lightly. "Oh, Jan Di, my love…" He kissed her hand over and over. He'd never known such sweet relief... He watched her chest slowly rise and fall.

"Are you really OK?" he asked, with tears in his eyes now, "I was so terrified…I've never been so terrified in my life… Mianhae, Jan Di-yah, mianhae! Please forgive me…for not being there for you…" He held her hand in both of his, running his thumb over each tiny bone of the hand of the woman he loved more than anything.

Ji Hoo studied Jan Di's face. Still holding her hand with one of his, he caressed her cheek with the other. She made a small, almost childlike, noise and her eyes began to flutter. His heart skipped a beat, and he gave her hand a light squeeze, "Jan Di-yah?"

Jan Di's lashes continued to flutter. He stared at her intently, and then she opened her eyes. She blinked a few times before settling her gaze upon him. Her lips curved to form a smile. "Ji Hoo-yah…"

"Jan Di," he said her name fervently and leaned closer. "You're OK! I thought I lost you…," he placed a burning kiss upon her forehead, never releasing her hand. His heart leaped when he felt her squeeze back, her warmth returning.

Ji Hoo broke the kiss and gazed upon Jan Di. "Ji Hoo-yah…where is our son? Is he…OK?" a look of panic suddenly spread across Jan Di's face. Ji Hoo realized that Jan Di had no idea what had happened after their son was taken away and she lost consciousness. Truly, he did not know for sure either. He only knew that F4 and Grandfather informed him that their baby was fine and was in the nursery. He had not yet been there to see him. He felt badly about this, but he'd been so preoccupied with checking on Jan Di.

"He's fine, my love. I was just going to go and see him. I'll bring him in."

Jan Di nodded. "Yes, please do that. I want to hold him."

A nurse stopped by just then. "Oh, you're awake, good." She briefly checked Jan Di's vitals. "Would you like to hold your baby?"

Jan Di nodded, "Yes, please!"

The nurse nodded, "I'll bring him. You should also try feeding him soon if you feel up to it."

The nurse entered a few moments later, holding their son. "Here he is," she said in a sweet voice. Ji Hoo and Jan Di smiled widely. The nurse placed the baby in Jan Di's eager arms, and she cradled him. The baby wriggled and drew up his knees but then immediately relaxed and settled into his mother's embrace. Jan Di held him close against her chest. She smiled down at him, "Annyeong," she whispered sweetly and kissed his tiny, delicate forehead. Then the newborn stared up at Jan Di with eyes wide.

Ji Hoo moved closer to the baby's small red head and then placed a kiss atop it. His hair was soft as down and he had that indefinably sweet baby smell. Then Ji Hoo ran his hand down the baby's arm and to his hand, and the newborn boy gripped his finger tight. Ji Hoo and Jan Di both had tears in their eyes now.

Jan Di sniffed and continued to gaze lovingly at their son while she cradled him, "What should we name him, Ji Hoo-yah? …I know we talked about naming him after your father or grandfather…you know, I was thinking, Grandfather has done so much for us… I think we should name him after Grandfather, if it's OK with you."

Ji Hoo smiled and nodded. "That sounds perfect. Seok-young it is, then. Yoon Seok-young."

"The second," Jan Di chuckled.

"Seok-young...saranghae…," Jan Di whispered. She had never known such instant, powerful love as this.

Ji Hoo smiled affectionately at the two of them, "May I hold him?" he asked after a moment.

"Of course," Jan Di passed Seok-young gently to Ji Hoo, "Here's your daddy..."

Ji Hoo took Seok-young ultra carefully into his arms and held him there. Jan Di's arms suddenly felt so empty not having Seok-Young in them, but the sight of Ji Hoo holding Seok-young was indescribably beautiful to behold…

"My son…I can't believe it…," Ji Hoo placed a gentle, lingering kiss on Seok-young's head once more and also whispered, "Saranghae..." to him. Ji Hoo's rust-colored bangs brushed against Seok-Young's similarly tinted fuzz.

Ji Hoo stood and walked around while holding Seok-young. Then, he stopped. Father and son stared into each other's eyes, both captivated by each other. "He has your eyes, Jan Di," Ji Hoo whispered tenderly, still studying and memorizing Seok-young's every tiny feature.

"And your nose…and your hair, of course," she smiled.


Their friends and Grandfather had since made their way back to the room. Jan Di's parents and brother had also arrived and stood with the group. They all seemed to breathe a collective sigh of relief that Jan Di was awake and that mother, father, and baby were all together now. They all stood around, smiling at the interactions between Jan Di, Ji Hoo, and the baby. Jan Di finally noticed them all lingering outside the door and waved them in.

"Jan Di-yah!" Ga Eul and Jan Di's family called her name in unison. "Ga Eul, Eomma, Appa, San-ah!" Jan Di smiled. They all rushed to her and took turns hugging her. Then, they all turned to Ji Hoo and the baby.

"Everyone, this is our son, Yoon Seok-young," Ji Hoo announced.

Grandfather looked to Ji Hoo, surprised, and his face lit up. Grandfather had been fighting back tears already; they escaped now, trickling down his crinkled cheeks. Grandfather and Ji Hoo exchanged an affectionate smile.

And they all crowded around Jan Di, Ji Hoo, and Seok-young, fawning over the new baby. They took turns holding him. Jan Di's parents cooed over the baby. Grandfather greeted his great-grandson, promising to take him fishing when he was old enough and to show him many things. Jan Di and Ji Hoo exchanged a smile, knowing full well that the gruff old man would spoil the boy rotten.

Ga Eul, Yi Jeong, and Woo Bin all held Seok-young, too. Ga Eul baby-talked Seok-young. Yi Jeong flashed a brilliant smile down at the boy, and Woo Bin smiled and gave Seok-young a "Yo, little man."

Finally, Woo Bin handed Seok-young off to Joon Pyo. At first, Joon Pyo appeared as if he had no idea what to do with the tiny thing lying in his strong arms. But then Joon Pyo smiled down at Seok-young.

"If your parents are ever being unfair, you come to your uncle Goo Joon Pyo, and I'll set them straight," Joon Pyo grinned.

"Your mom has a bad temper…," Joon Pyo informed Seok-young, who appeared to be listening intently.

"Ya! Look who's talking, Goo Joon Pyo!" Jan Di immediately jumped in. The group laughed, and Jan Di couldn't help a small smile from forming upon her lips.

Joon Pyo smirked and continued looking down at Seok-Young. "And your dad is kind of weird…," Ji Hoo gaped for a moment but then shook his head and chuckled lightly.

Then, Seok-young began to make a motion with his mouth.

"What's he doing?" Joon Pyo looked down at Seok-young, perplexed.

"Oh, um, he's hungry. You'll have to give him back to me now, Joon Pyo," Jan Di said with a grin.

"Yes, and I'm sorry, but I'll have to ask you all to leave for a little while," Ji Hoo said.

Joon Pyo took the baby to Jan Di and handed him off to her. The group said their goodbyes and left the room. A specialist was brought in to instruct Jan Di on how to feed Seok-young.

"This is so weird," Jan Di commented, as she smiled down at her son.


Ji Hoo walked down the hall to get something to drink for Jan Di. Dr. Jang was exiting his office and they came face to face. The two men stared at each other for a moment, expressionless. Dr. Jang wondered if Ji Hoo would try to blame him for Jan Di hemorrhaging, even though it was something that could not have been prevented. As the silence continued and the tension became palpable, Dr. Jang then wondered if Ji Hoo had heard about what he said to Jan Di in the operating room.

But then, Ji Hoo bowed very deeply, "Kamsahamnida, Dr. Jang."

Dr. Jang flinched slightly. "No need to thank me, Dr. Yoon."

Ji Hoo looked at Dr. Jang and a wide smile formed upon his face. Perhaps it was the intense relief he was feeling that Jan Di was alive, or perhaps it was the fact that he was bursting with happiness at being a parent, but Ji Hoo suddenly embraced Dr. Jang. Dr. Jang went ramrod stiff, shocked by the sudden gesture that was so very unlike Dr. Yoon.

"Thank you, Dr. Jang! Thank you so much for saving my wife and child…," Ji Hoo mumbled.

"It's OK, Dr. Yoon… Now, get a hold of yourself…"

Ji Hoo ended the hug as quickly as it began and gave a short laugh. "Sorry about that," Ji Hoo said, rubbing the back of his neck.

Dr. Jang cleared his throat, "No problem. How are Jan Di and your son doing?"

"They're fine, thank you."

Dr. Jang nodded, "Good." And with that, they took their leave of each other.


As Ji Hoo returned with Jan Di's drink, he crossed paths with Dr. Baek.

"Dr. Yoon," she called to him. He stopped, and she approached.

"How are you?"

He looked at her, confused for a moment.

"I was…concerned after what happened..." Dr. Baek had also discovered Ji Hoo in his incapacitated state. She'd diagnosed it as catatonic depression brought on by the stress of the traumatic experience and offered her services, but F4 had ensured that they could handle it and dismissed her.

Oh great, she must have witnessed it, too… "I'm fine, thank you."

She nodded, "Good."

He gave a quick bow and turned to leave.

"Dr. Yoon, how is your wife and child?"

"They're well, thank you."

"That's a relief," she said and then paused, "That was something very serious that you went through, so…if you need to talk…"

"Really, I'm fine now. But thank you for your concern." He gave her a polite nod, which she returned.

"Give them my regards," Dr. Baek said.

"I will. Thank you," he bowed to her once more and walked off.


Jan Di was resting, and Ji Hoo and F3 had gotten some coffee and were standing around talking. They were near the doctor's lounge. Ji Hoo caught a glimpse of several of the surgeons who operated on Jan Di, sipping coffee and talking. F4 collectively perked up at the next thing they overheard.

"So, Dr. Jang really said he loves Dr. Yoon Jan Di?" one of the surgeons asked, incredulous.

"Yes, right in the operating room! I couldn't believe it!" another responded.

Yi Jeong and Woo Bin appeared shocked. Joon Pyo tightened his mouth. Then, F3 looked to Ji Hoo in unison. Ji Hoo's face was stone. He tensed and then simply turned and walked off without a word. Yi Jeong and Woo Bin looked to Joon Pyo. Yi Jeong crossed his arms, and Woo Bin mouthed "what the…," and they began to follow Ji Hoo. "Let him go," Joon Pyo said.


When Ji Hoo did not return after about a half hour, Joon Pyo went looking for him. By dumb luck he found him in a stairwell outside.

Ji Hoo noticed Joon Pyo's presence but said nothing at first. Joon Pyo leaned against the wall and crossed his arms. Finally Ji Hoo spoke, "This is Jan Di's and my spot. We go here sometimes for a break or to talk or think…"

Joon Pyo nodded.

"So, what are you going to do?" Joon Pyo asked suddenly.

"Do?"

"Yes, about this Dr. Jang…"

Ji Hoo exhaled, "Nothing."

"You're really not going to do anything about it?" Joon Pyo asked, incredulous.

"That's right."

"Why not? You're really just going to let another man say he loves your wife and do nothing about it?"

Ji Hoo clenched his fists at his sides and then relaxed them, "What would you have me do, Joon Pyo?"

"If it were me, I'd hit him!"

Ji Hoo smiled faintly. Yes, just like Joon Pyo… "I'm not going to hit him."

Ji Hoo sighed, "…I suspected that he felt that way, and believe me, I don't like it one bit, but I don't feel threatened by him… And besides, I'm deeply grateful to him. He saved Jan Di's life, and that makes me indebted to him forever…"

"…When I first heard, I did want to hit him…and I might have if I hadn't cooled off first… But, then I thought about it… I'm not going to hit the man who saved my reason for living…" Ji Hoo scoffed, "…While I did nothing, except fall apart…," he hung his head and buried his face in his hands.

Joon Pyo tightened his jaw. "You shouldn't blame yourself."

"How can I not? I…should have been the one to save her." He said it, though it seemed a ridiculous thing to say. What did it really matter who saved her, so long as she was alive?

Joon Pyo exhaled sharply, "You can't always be the one… You don't have to put it all on yourself… Hopefully, Jan Di will never be in danger again, but if she is…just know that you have people behind you."

Ji Hoo looked to Joon Pyo.

"Do you remember when I was afraid that something would happen to Jan Di and that I wouldn't know or be able to stop it? Do you remember how you reassured me…by telling me that you and the rest of F4 were behind me?"

Ji Hoo nodded.

"Well, the same goes for you. We are behind you and Jan Di."

"Goo Joon Pyo…," Ji Hoo uttered, truly touched.

Joon Pyo rolled his eyes and put a hand on Ji Hoo's shoulder, "Besides, like you told me, Jan Di is not weak, so try not to worry so much…"

Ji Hoo nodded.

"But you're really not even going to give that guy a piece of your mind?"

Ji Hoo tightened his jaw, "No."

"Well, if you're not going to do anything about it, then maybe I will!"

"Joon Pyo? What are you going to do? Joon Pyo!" Ji Hoo called after him, but he was already gone.


Later that evening, Jan Di was napping, and Ji Hoo had fallen asleep against her bed. He woke when she stirred in her sleep. He brushed her bangs aside and kissed her forehead before getting up to go and check on Seok-Young in the nursery.

After Ji Hoo had left, Dr. Jang passed by and noticed Jan Di sleeping alone in the bed. He entered the room. Dr. Jang stood there for a moment. He crossed his arms and watched, as if guarding over her while she slept.

Joon Pyo arrived at the room. He tightened his jaw as he watched Dr. Jang gaze upon Jan Di.

Dr. Jang suddenly felt the strange urge to kiss Jan Di's forehead, but he refrained. That would be completely unprofessional and inappropriate. He exhaled and turned to see Goo Joon Pyo standing in the doorway with arms neatly folded.

"Oh. Goo Joon Pyo, right?"

"Yes. Dr. Jang, was it? Could I have a word?" Joon Pyo stared hard at Dr. Jang, fighting the strong urge to throw a punch.

Dr. Jang led Joon Pyo to his office and offered him a seat before sitting behind his own desk. "What can I do for you, Goo Joon Pyo-ssi?"

Joon Pyo tightened his mouth. "I heard what you said in the operating room…"

Dr. Jang scoffed, "Oh, you did, huh?"

Joon Pyo squinted, becoming increasingly irritated by Dr. Jang's careless attitude. "Yes. And I didn't like it," he stared at him.

"With all due respect, Goo Joon Pyo-ssi, do we really need to discuss this trivial matter? I'm very busy…" Dr. Jang moved to stand.

"Trivial?" Joon Pyo squinted at Dr. Jang. "You call professing love to a married woman trivial? And while her husband is in a state of shock…"

Dr. Jang exhaled sharply, "Just disregard what I said. It just came out in the heat of the moment. I didn't mean it."

Joon Pyo scoffed. In the heat of the moment? How could that kind of thing just come out in the heat of the moment?

"Well, know this…those two people are my best friends. And if you cause any trouble between them whatsoever…you will have to answer to me..."

Dr. Jang tightened his jaw and nodded slowly, "I understand, and I don't intend to. Do you have anything else to say, Goo Joon Pyo-ssi?"

Joon Pyo rose, "No, I'm leaving...," then he turned back. "You know, Dr. Jang…," Joon Pyo nearly spat out his name. "I had intended to hit you for what you said," Joon Pyo clenched his fist at his side.

"You're just lucky that Yoon Ji Hoo is a much more rational and kinder man than me. He convinced me not to," Joon Pyo shot back at him.

Dr. Jang's lips parted. So, he knows, too…great… Dr. Jang hoped that neither of them would say anything to Jan Di.

"He feels gratitidue toward you…don't take that for granted. And don't ever pull anything like that again with Jan Di, or next time…I won't hold back, I promise you," Joon Pyo warned. And before Dr. Jang had time to react, Joon Pyo was gone.

Dr. Jang sighed and ran a hand through his hair.


That night, Jan Di lay in her hospital bed holding the sleeping Seok-Young with Ji Hoo by her side. Jan Di and Ji Hoo had been taking turns holding him and resting.

Grandfather, Ga Eul, and F4 had all stayed until asked to leave. Woo Bin had been able to sweet talk a few of the nurses for extra time past visiting hours, and he'd been slipped a couple of phone numbers by the single ones.

Grandfather, Jan Di's family, and their friends had all spent time visiting Jan Di and Seok-young. Ga Eul had chatted away with Jan Di along with Yi Jeong and had also spent some one-on-one time with Jan Di.

Jan Di recalled Joon Pyo stopping in her room earlier when she was alone…


Jan Di gazed affectionately at her dear friend, her former love, the man whose blood had sustained her and was coursing through her veins like a raging river.

Joon Pyo took a seat beside her, "How are you feeling Yoon Jan Di?"

"Ahh, not too bad...just a little tired," she smiled.

"It's a relief that weeds don't die easily," he teased, a faint smile crossing his lips. It was all he knew to say. Joon Pyo had never been good with words, but even a poet could not sufficiently express the relief Joon Pyo had felt when he watched Jan Di return to life in that operating room.

Jan Di chuckled, knowing what he meant. Then, she grew serious, "Thank you, Goo Joon Pyo, for what you did."

"It was no big deal."

"It was a huge deal, Joon Pyo. Thank you."

"You're welcome." They exchanged a smile. Then there was silence for a moment.

Before it became too awkward, Jan Di asked, "How's Alex?"

"She's doing fine. She's still in New York, but she asked about you. She was worried, but I filled her in."

Jan Di smiled, "Well, tell her hi for me."

"I will."

Jan Di and Joon Pyo talked casually for awhile longer, until a nurse came in with Seok-Young.


Due to Jan Di and Ji Hoo's condition, Seok-young had been placed in a radiant warmer during the first hour after his birth. Grandfather and F3 had closely monitored Seok-young's status during Jan Di and Ji Hoo's incapacitation.

To everyone's great relief, Seok-young had been determined healthy at birth. Though he'd weighed only 2.4 kg and was only 50 cm when born, he was still in the healthy range. And his heart rate, respiration, muscle tone, reflexes, and color had all been good.

Though Jan Di and Ji Hoo were greatly relieved that Seok-young was in good physical condition, they very much regretted the lack of physical contact he'd gotten during that time. So, they were doing their best to give him as much touch and affection as possible now. Fortunately, he was responding well and their bond was deepening. Jan Di had been nursing Seok-young about every 3 hours. She felt that she and her son were beginning to get the hang of it.

It had gotten late, and Ji Hoo had taken a walk down the hall with a fussy Seok-young, who seemed to calm when his daddy walked the halls with him. Overall, Jan Di had been right. Seok-young seemed to have inherited his father's serene demeanor. But he was still a newborn, so he would occasionally cry.


Dr. Jang stopped by Jan Di's room and noticed that it was empty. He had been avoiding Jan Di's room when others were there or when she was awake.

When he arrived, Jan Di appeared to be resting. Her eyes were closed, so he stopped in. He began checking her vitals on the monitor to ensure that everything was good. Jan Di stirred and opened her eyes.

"Seonsaengnim," she sat up.

"Oh, hey Kiddo, how are you feeling?"

"Better. But where have you been hiding?" Jan Di placed her hands upon her hips, wrinkling her hospital gown.

"I, um…what do you mean? I wasn't hiding!" he exclaimed.

"I was just kidding, Seonsaengnim…" Jan Di studied him.

Dr. Jang gave a short laugh. "Oh, yes of course," he rubbed the back of his neck.

"I just hadn't seen you around, and I wanted to thank you."

"Thank me for what, Kiddo?"

"For taking care of my baby and me…I don't know all the details, but I heard there were some complications in surgery, but you and the team really worked hard."

Dr. Jang nodded. He wondered what version of the story she'd gotten. "No problem, Kiddo."

There was silence for a moment. "So, Seonsaengnim…do you think I can do this?"

"Do what, Kiddo?"

"Be a mom…"

Dr. Jang smiled. "Of course you can."

"Is it really tough to be a parent? Wow, that's a stupid question…," she chuckled, "…Of course it is."

"It's not easy, no, but you'll get the hang of it. And there's no doubt in my mind that you'll be a great mom."

She smiled appreciatively, "Thanks, Seonsaengnim…"

Dr. Jang sighed, "Now, I need to go check on some patients. You get some rest," he gave her hair a quick ruffle before leaving.

As Dr. Jang exited the room, Ji Hoo returned. He was still holding Seok-young, who was fast asleep against his chest.

"Dr. Yoon. Excuse me, I was just leaving."

Ji Hoo nodded. They made eye contact for a moment before giving each other the briefest of nods and parting ways.


Jan Di remained in the hospital a few more days for observation. Ji Hoo checked in on her whenever he was not in surgery, and Dr. Jang stopped in, as well, though he was careful to avoid times when Ji Hoo was there.

Once she was discharged, Jan Di took a maternity leave at home to care for Seok-Young. Ji Hoo had insisted that she take at least the 6 weeks paid that she was offered, but he hoped she would take longer. It wasn't like they needed the money, and he preferred that she be at home with the baby. Also, there was slim to no chance that she would lose her position by being away longer.

Jan Di hadn't decided yet, though. She was torn by the desire to be at home with her son and the desire to do her life's work. She felt a bit guilty, too, that she wasn't there for her patients.

Ji Hoo had hired a nanny to help Jan Di out with the baby. And Grandfather had also been eager to help with Seok-young's care when he wasn't at the clinic.


The First Five Weeks

Jan Di and Ji Hoo were both thrilled to be parents, despite it being challenging. Over the first few weeks, they began to learn what it truly meant to be parents and they became accustomed to their son's needs.

The cycle was pretty simple: eat, go to the bathroom, sleep, and repeat. They became experts in changing diapers and soothing their son. They began to decipher Seok-young's various cries in order to understand what he was demanding of them, whether it be I'm hungry; I need to be changed, or I want attention.

Ji Hoo would often play lullabies on his violin to Seok-young, and the boy would drift off to the sound of his father's enchanting music. Fortunately, Seok-young was similar to his father in his sleep habits, so he slept often and usually through the night.

Living up to his mother's namesake, Seok-young began to grow like a weed. He hit his first growth spurt at two weeks, right on schedule, and continued from there. His movements began to be more fluid, and he was focusing on things better.

There were a few small scares, most of which Jan Di and Ji Hoo were well-equipped to deal with given that they were doctors. Still, they found themselves to be a bit overly protective as parents.

Around four weeks, Seok-young began to babble and make a lot of noises. Jan Di found it adorable, and she began talking back to him. Ji Hoo couldn't help but smile when he caught her having a full conversation with their infant son.

The five week mark was exciting because Seok-young showed off his first smile. Jan Di had squealed and then grabbed her phone to take a picture. She'd sent it to Ji Hoo at the hospital, who had also been thrilled and deeply sorry he missed it. He was able to bring about the smile for himself later, though.

And Ji Hoo was also elated that Seok-young had begun to appreciate music. Seok-young was entranced by any musical sound now and consequently some things that were just sounds and not music at all, like when the maid would run the vacuum.


The first five weeks was an experience and held its challenges for Ji Hoo and Jan Di. They were both very tired for one, despite the nanny and Grandfather helping immensely. But overall, things had been great. Except for one thing…

Jan Di had the suspicion that something was bothering Ji Hoo and had been for awhile…ever since Seok-young's birth. But when she asked him if something was wrong he'd simply reassure her and change the subject. It was beginning to worry her, though.

Ji Hoo had been quieter than usual, and though he was devoted to their son and to her, Jan Di felt that something was off between them. Perhaps it was just that transition from being a married couple to being parents… She'd heard that it could be tough on relationships. And it wasn't like they weren't getting along. Things were just…different…and Ji Hoo seemed preoccupied…


It was a typical day at the hospital, and Ji Hoo was between surgeries. Jan Di was at home with Seok-young. Ji Hoo made his way to the psychiatric department and asked if Dr. Baek was available. Her secretary checked, and Dr. Baek came out of her office.

Ji Hoo took a deep breath, "Could I talk to you?" he asked.

She nodded, "Sure, come in," and she led him into her office.

A/N:  Hope the beginning wasn't too confusing, but let me know. I meant for it to be a little mysterious and the parts with Ji Hoo and Jan Di were supposed to be in Ji Hoo's head. Sorry about all the jumping around, hopefully that wasn't confusing and flowed OK... Thanks for reading! :)