Newton's 4th Law (Part 2/2)

The Sun, The Moon In Love

"Tell me again why should Mechanics has to be our main course? What this course has to do with Oceanography?" Yongsun groaned, staring blankly at her paperwork. No matter how long she stared at it, she couldn't figure out how to solve the exercise questions she's been working on. How she wished her stare could do the magic, like the more she stared on it then the answer of every questions laid beneath the book will surfaced and revealed itself. Sadly, it didn't.

"Because we're working with fluid, and fluid won't stay still. Moving is their nature, and sadly, all about motion is on Mechanics. Not my words, it's Wheein's." Hyejin slumps herself on the couch next to Yongsun.

"What's with me?" Wheein butted in. "And you two, move away from the couch, you've woken him up."

Hyejin rolled her eyes in annoyance. "Excuse me, we're agreed to buy this couch not for him sprawling around all day long. He needs to learn anything other than eating, sleeping, and being cute. Life is hard, teach him the lesson." Yongsun couldn't agree more. Life is hard. Mechanics is hard. Apparently, being all cute and pretty is not enough.

"Shut up. This cutie needs to be taken care with love." Wheein took the poor cat to her embrace, pampering him with soft kisses. Hyejin swears she hates the cat. Not only he stole all of her best friend's love, but also shamelessly monopolizes their couch in which Hyejin paid 1/3 of it. What an ungrateful cat.

"But, seriously Solar, how you suppose to get that B? I mean, uhm... you know, with your current grade I don't think that's possible." Wheein carefully put her words in which a softer version of her saying: Are you crazy? B is far too high for your stupid brain!

"Did you think I can't get that?"

"Nah, don't stress yourself that much, Solar, you won't make it anyhow. It's IMPOSSIBLE." Hyejin commented.

Yongsun can't believe that two of her best friends were the best when it comes to crushing her self confidence. "Can you two be more supportive?"

"Oh dear, we can't. We love you, but we choose to stand on the realistic side." Hyejin added.

"What's unrealistic about it?"

"You and that nerd. What's her name again? Moon Byulyi? Like, seriously, how can you improve your grade from D to B? It's like hoping for a snowy day in the middle of August. She was just making it up, Solar. It must be her way of saying No, girl. I am not interested to have a dumb girlfriend like you." That's insulting enough, but she's not Ahn Hyejin if she just stopped there. "And what's so good about her? Yes she is a smart-, but other than her amazing brain all I can see is just a walking skeleton. She is all bone and skin." Hyejin run a hand on her hips to emphasize her point that the girl Yongsun has a crush on was nothing to beat her perfect curvy line.

Yongsun was about to refute, but Hyejin's words hit her like a truck. Her sassy remark sure is her trademark. It's hurt sometimes, but sometimes, people needs to be slapped on their face to wake them up from their beautiful dream. However beautiful it were, dreams will just stay as dream. What if Hyejin is right, Byulyi just politely and implicitly turned her down by giving her a false hope. How cruel that could be?

She squirmed in her seat and let out a loud groan, making the poor cat who had already slept (again) in Wheein's arms flinched in surprise. The ever so bright Solar lose its shine. The sight made all of curses words Wheein just about to spit out died down in .

"Yah, Solar don't mind her." Wheein slapped Hyejin's magnificent tight, earning a little yelp from the latter. "If that nerd-"

"It's Byulyi!" Yongsun interupted.

"Yeah, yeah... If Byulyi's intentions was really just to turn you down in the end, she might not lowered her standard to B and just stick with A. You still have a chance. Scoring a B is hard, but uhm... less-preposterous than reaching for an A. Wise people said nothing is impossible. They can't be lying unless they're wishing to be called a liar instead of wisey, right? You might be dumb-"

"Jung Wheein," Yongsun glared.

"Oops, I mean, not that very intelligent sometime, but a strong motivation can make people do the things they think they couldn't. If Byulyi was your motivation, then let her be your source of spirit." Wheein surprised herself to be able spell out those beautiful words. She takes a note to enroll herself for the next year campus president election.

“Besides, you have us as your bestie, we will help and give you our full support. We're always one call, no, one knock away since we're practically roommates and classmates." Wheein finally finished her long speech.

"Jung Wheein, my friend, how's you are going to help if you was also a failure. A kind reminder, your score is the worst among the three of us." Hyejin sarcastically refuted.

"Tch, you don't have to mention it. I may be weak on academic department, but I am good happy pill. I and Ggomo will be your forever cheerleaders, right Ggomo? Didn't Byulyi say she will help you? Then lets the expert on that field do the magic." Wheein patted her pet head, her eyes twinkling with determination. Said cat only mewl in response before going back to his deep slumber.

"Yeah, you and that useless cat of yours." Hyejin scoffed.

Yongsun watched as the two of her friends keep bickering. But somehow Wheein's words ignites the small flame in her heart. She can't be given up so easily. However hard it is, if it's for the sake for getting her future girlfriend, then she should fight for it, even if it means she have to shade her sweat, blood and tears. Moon Byulyi worth a fight.

__________

She walked the familiar hallway of the Department of Physics's building with the new surge of excitement. Department of Physics's library, that's where she is heading to. After last year's struggle to survive one semester of Mechanics course, in which she had failed eventually, she gets used to the said library. She and her mates were visiting the library for couples of times to get some literatures related to the subject during last year semester.

Byulyi told her that she could find her at the said library if it happens she needs her help related to the course she has been assigned as the Assistant Lecturer to. According to Byulyi, around 5 in the afternoon, she would usually be there along the weekday.

It's 5.30 pm, if the God of Fortune siding with her, she may find Byulyi there at such hour.

Yongsun's eyes wander around the room upon entering the library. A smile crept to her lips when she spotted the girl she looked for sitting before the window with a stack of books on the table. The look of her focused face was a sight to die for, according to Yongsun, of course.

After only a few steps away, Yongsun cleared to draw the latter's attention who was too preoccupied with the book she has been reading.

"Hi." Yongsun sweetly greets and took a seat across from her. "I come to demand someone's offer to help me with this big issue of mine." She said whilst shoves a thick book titled Classical Mechanics by Herbert Goldstain .

"Ah, Kim Yongsun, right?" There’s a delay on her reply as if she was trying to remember who was the sudden intruder is. Yongsun couldn't hide her disappointment for the thought of Byulyi had already forgotten about her.

Sensing her frown, Byulyi immediately gives her apologetic smile. The action turns Yongsun into a puddle mess. "Sorry, you just look different with your glasses on." Oh, right, she forgot that she wore a glasses today. It's not like she had a problem with her sight or something, it's Wheein's doing who put those glasses on her face, telling her that it will make her look less stupid, which is sound so stupid by itself. But yeah, stupid her to just simply let her best friend with that stupid idea put that stupid glasses on her face.

"It's okay." Yongsun replied, frown soon replaced by her signature wide smile.

"May you show me which part you had struggled with?" A simple query that Yongsun finds it so easy because she couldn't think of any part of the book that was easy. But of course, her pride won’t let her admitted so.

"Well, how about we pretend that I'm fresh and all and we can start it off from the first section? I need some refreshment." It was basically screams that she didn't understand a thing and she need Byulyi to teach her from zero.

"That would be so much subject to dig in. But since we’re in the first few weeks of the semester, sure we have quite a lot of time. Let’s start from the last session we had in our recent class.” Byulyi defined.

“We do as you wish, Master.” Yongsun really needs to shut her erted mind off for once.

"What?"

"Uhm, I... I mean, since you're teaching me then I can call you master, right? You know, something like Kung Fu Master and such..."

"Ah... that's too much, just call me Byulyi." Thanks God, this nerd must not have any idea of what was this master Yongsun referred to, did she?

"Yeah, just Byulyi is good." Yongsun replied with an awkward smile.

Letting out a sigh of reliefe, Yongsun flipped her book, searching for nothing in particular, and pointed a section she found on her random search. “How about this? How we do the derivation of Lagrange’s equation from Hamilton’s Principle?”

Byulyi checked the section Yongsun referred, and then started to explain the subject, not even leave any basic and small details of her illustration.

"Do you get that? All you need is to look up and understand the basic concepts, and everything will make sense. Physics is all about logic." Byulyi paused after about half an hour going on with her explanation. Yongsun nodded even though she didn't really convinced with her own comprehension. Instead, she asks a question unrelated to the subject they had discussed earlier.

"What's so special about Physics? I mean, why did you choose it? Just curious."

"I don’t know. I think it’s beautiful, and I'm in love with its beauty." Byulyi shrugged.

"Yeah, me too. I love something beautiful." Yongsun muttered more to herself.

"Oh, so you too? I believe your field of study is also beautiful. Every science has its own charm, right?"

"I am not talking about my field of study. I am talking about you. You're beautiful." Oh Lord, Byulyi was sure in the real life or even in many fanfics she was the one who was supposed to be the greasy one, why was it reversed here?

"You must be really good with your tongue." The words slipped from Byulyi's mouth innocently, but really, not so smart of her to say those words in front of the queen of ert Kim Yongsun.

"Yes, it is. If there's any doubt, I may give you the privilege to prove it by yourself." Yongsun smirked. A gust of proud running through her vein as she witnessed the oh-so-genius Moon Byulyi sporting a pink blush on her cheeks. Cute.

It won't be their last study session and sure it will be so much fun to have Byulyi as her tutor. There were about four months left before this semester ends, she was eager to see how far this study session will take their relationship to another level.

__________

Time flew fast, the bond between the two girl stronger as the time passes by. Byulyi had proven herself that Hyejin's prejudgment about her being a boring nerdy-girl was totally wrong. Indeed, she was all Yongsun looked for a boy-, uhm, girlfriend. Byulyi was not all about beautiful face, she's a charmer inside and out. Byulyi is fun to be with, caring, gentle, humble, and a list of good personalities following behind. Yongsun's affection toward the girl grew stronger as she gets to know her better. At this rate, Yongsun was more than sure that it's no longer a stupid crush. She had fallen deeper in a state that nobody could even save her if it happens she has to have her heart breaks by the latter.

Yongsun always had plenty of reasons to make an appearance at the Department of Physics' Library. Twice a week for the least, be it really for study purposes or just simply fooling around, bugging the other girl, whom she find really cute when she got annoyed. Byulyi can’t be mad, even if she was, what’s so scary about an angry hamster?

Said library become her new favourite place and she has no objection to make a visit every day. But of course, her fate as a college student with a bunch of schoolwork didn’t allow her to do so. College student’s life is fun, but schoolworks is .

Sometimes she had to eat up her disappointment because she couldn't find Byulyi there, but most of the time she was lucky enough to be able meet the girl that has brought the colours to her campus life. Despite being whiny and all, Hyejin and Wheein sometimes also tags along to join their so called study session. Later on, Wheein was crushed by Byulyi’s charm, whilst Hyejin shamelessly admitted that Byulyi was her favourite tutor as well as her being Byulyi’s most favourite student. Since then, Yongsun never invited the duo to join their session anymore. But that's useless anyway, they would just trailed behind, or going there by their own. In the end, she should have to share her Byulyi with those two rascals she called best friend.

At one thundery night, because of the heavy rain and the crazy lightning, they're stuck in the campus area after finishing their study session. It's only her and Byulyi. They're bored from study, and the rain didn't give any sign to stop at any soon. Truth and Dare was the game they choose to kill the time.

Yongsun will never forget the moment she finally be able to dare Byulyi to kiss her on the cheek. Byulyi's lips felt so soft and warm as expected. Suddenly, the rain sounds music to her ears, the lightnings is the blitz.

Yongsun thanked the God above for sending the damn rain that night.

She also once had a chance to take the girl out. Well, it's not technically a date, but a girl can dream. Yongsun insisted to take Byulyi for a dinner, saying it was her way to show her gratitude toward the girl and to celebrate her first C for Mechanics' mid-semester test. Byulyi was horrified when Yongsun came into the library at one evening, screaming and jumping like crazy, making a scene in such a place that supposed to be noise-free. Anyone would think she had just won a jackpot, when actually all that commotion she made is just because a damn C. Well, you can't blame her, getting a C is such a great accomplishment.

The dinner place was far from being any romantic and fancy. A Mc. Donnald restaurant around the campus was all she could afford as a broken college student. But it’s never been about the place, but the companion what matter the most. The half burnt chicken wing she had that night felt like the tastiest chicken she had ever tasted.

__________

Final exam period finally came into the table, and the most awaiting and also thrilling Mechanics' test scheduled to be held two days ahead. Today was supposed to be her last study session with Byulyi before the exam. To say that she was nervous was an understatement. Excited, anxious, blending all at once, making her stomach feel funny as if there's a roller coaster rolled up and down inside. Putting that aside, she was eager to face the said exam and will fight with all of her might.

She lightly drew her steps, humming a song on her way to the library. A bag of a homemade pancake hanging on her right hand while her left hugging a literature book close to her chest. The pancake with blueberry syrup was Byuli's favourite, a fact that Yongsun proud off to discover.

Upon entering the library, she frowned when she spotted way too many people there, which is very unusual. The library definitely not a favourite place for students to spend their time around, especially at this rate of hour. Loud cheers emitted from the crowd, made the place sounds like a field of match more than a library.

Strolling further between the crowd, her eyes widened upon noticing what's this mess is all about. There, in the middle of the library, standing a beautiful girl holding a bouquet of flower. Next to her was a boy, the look of his face was as if he had a severe constipation. He was familiar, Yongsun remembered him as one of her classmates on last year Mechanic's class, the boy who was always around Byulyi all the time.

"So, will you be my girlfriend?" The boy asked, his hand reaching for the girl's one with so much hint of nervousness. Typical Yongsun normally would laugh it off, cause really, it's cringy like on the highest level of cringy-ness. The boy had watched way too much sappy drama. But no, this time she couldn't even bring herself to do so. It's hurt. The blush on the girl's cheeks and a shy smile on her lips hurt her more. The cheers from the crowd around them felt like a prick on her chest.

Please say no. Yongsun prayed under her breath.

After what feels like forever, the girl shyly replied, and Yongsun swears she could hear her heart shattering. "Yes."

Yongsun couldn't take it anymore as she strides passed the crowd, leaving the scene as fast as she could. Her grip on the plastic bag loosens, and the delicious pancakes fell on the floor, stepped by the crowd, wrecked in unshaped form. Just like her heart.

A drop of tears trickled down her cheek, “Why Byulyi, why?”

__________

The end-semester exam had finally over, but Yongsun couldn't care less. She didn't even care if she got another D and should have to spend another semester on Mechanics. She hasn’t even had any eagerness to find out her score at the time it's supposed to be announced. She didn't log on to her academic account to even take a peek. She might not pass anyway, as half of her exam sheet for said course left unfinished. Lucky for her, Mechanics’ exam scheduled at the very last, so her wrecked emotional state didn’t affect her other tests.

Byulyi is taken. Whatever her score is, it's useless anyway. She wonders if Hyejin was right, Byulyi just makes a fool of her. But looking at how sweet the girl was all this time, she can’t believe that was even possible.

The exam is over, as stupid as it sound, after-exam period was a time to be celebrated. She deserves a reward for all the hard work during the whole semester no matter what the outcome is. Strolling around the Mall and got her hair treated on a beauty salon was one of her way to celebrate. But this time, she's loosing the will to do anything than crying her heart out over some unofficial broken heart.

Hyejin and Wheein had convinced her to join the movie night they will have tonight along with the other colleagues. But as for Yongsun, she had nothing to celebrate, so she excuses herself to skips the event by aimlessly strolled around the campus.

Unconsciously, her feet brought her to the Department of Physic's building. She's on autopilot mode, so her feet might had moved by its own. She stopped only when she spotted the familiar notice board in the hallway. Sighing, Yongsun drags her feet toward the board. The result of their Mechanics' test should be announced there. She prepares herself for the worst. Apparently, at this moment, nothing worse than seeing her crush being taken right before her very eyes.

Her eyes scanned one particular paper and is searching for her name in which she found it in a mere seconds. She expected another D, but much to her surprise, she miraculously got a C as her final grade. Her eyes widened, not believing what she had just seen.

"No way." She gasped, followed by a soft chuckle behind her back.

"Too much to believe, huh?" It was Moon Byulyi, the suspect of her broken heart.

"Congrats to you." Byulyi smiled so sweetly. Normally, those sweet smiles of hers will swoon her over, especially since it was the first time she met her after the confession, and it has been weeks ago. But today, her smile triggers a flame in Yongsun's heart. Byulyi can't be serious. Byulyi looked so fine, no hint of guilty on her words even after break Yongsun's heart into million pieces. But again, why should she?

"Are you mocking me?"

"What?"

"I am not smart, it's even miracle to pass this course, huh? You didn't expect me to pass, let alone getting a B, that's why you agreed to make that stupid deal, right? How naive of me."

"Look, I am sorry if I had offended you in anyway, but it was unintentionally if I did." Byulyi startled by Yongsun outburst. A split of shock gleamed on her beautiful eyes. Yongsun soon regretted to use such tone toward her. It's not fair how Byulyi could melt her just by simply breathing and alive.

"If I achieved your standard, will you still hold on the deal and date me?" Yongsun asked, softer than earlier.

Confused with Yongsun's swing of mood, Byulyi replied her question casually. "I'm not a person for taking back my words."

"Even you have a boyfriend?"

"What boyfriend?" Byulyi puzzled, but then a small smile escaped her lips. "So, you had seen it, huh? You had come at the wrong timing."

"Right, a wrong timing." Yongsun sarcastically muttered.

"Whatever you saw at that time, you seem got the wrong impression."

"So, you said I misheard when you say yes to his confession?"

Byulyi burst in laugh, Yongsun wonder what's so funny cause really, it's not funny at all. "No, you heard that right, but you missed the whole camera recording and the whole event going on."

"Recording?" Yongsun noticed that there was at least one people among the crowd holding something looked like a camera, but of course Yongsun's attention was not on them at that time as her hands were full, gathering the pieces of her heart that was scattered on the floor.

"Sandeul is my friend, I believe you had seen him before, right?"

Byulyi recites the event and explains what had really happened that time. The whole confession thing was a scene they're doing for Sandeul's project. He was a member of the Club of Movie and Art, and he need to make a short movie for his club's project. He asked Byulyi to join his movie as he thought Byulyi would fit the character he's been looking for.

"So, it's just for a movie project?" Yongsun felt stupid.

"Yeah." Byulyi replied. "I am all single. Too bad you failed, you can't force me date you."

"But, uhm... I got C nonetheless, can I still get a reward for that? A less prestigious reward will do." Yongsun bargained. She did a victory dance in the back of her mind, knowing that Byulyi still available and she still has her chance for future effort, even if it means she should take another class of Mechanics next year. "Uhm, what about giving me another chance. I'll do it better on the next year course."

"Well, that's so greedy of you. Isn't the deal told you the otherwise? You had failed, shall I claim my reward now?"

Yongsun sighs, she failed, and Byulyi deserved her claim of reward. What could be going on in her beautiful mind? She really hopes it wasn’t something creepy. "Fine. What do you want?"

"You."

"Me?"

"You should have to date me."

"I-I should what?!" Yongsun asked way too loud, almost shouting. She can't believe her ears. Did she hear it right? Her ears must be playing tricks on her? Or did something like bug accidentally flying into her ears? It's the exact same reward she will claim if she get her B, it can't be true, right? 

"Hello there... You hear me?" Byulyi waved her hand, and for seconds Yongsun could only blink her eyes.

"B-b-but..."

"No but. You lose. Bear the consequences." Byulyi tapped her foot on the ground and crossed her arms on her chest.

Oh man, it's too good to be true.

"Then I have no objection at all." Yongsun beamed her widest smile. Gone that gloomy and miserable looks she had sporting within these past weeks.

"Good." Byulyi remarked.

For a moment they're just awkwardly stood there, not knowing what to do, until Yongsun snapped by something.

"Wait, is this means I only worth a C for you?" Yongsun asked.

"Now you mentioned it."

"So that's true? Yah, Moon Byulyi!"

Byulyi just laughs it off, and instead asked, "Have you heard the Newton's 4th Law?"

"Is there even the 4th?"

"Yup. Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation states an object attracts the other object with a Force that inversely proportional to their distance. The 4th law conflicted said law though, the Gravity was actually not determined by the distance of two objects, but by their behaviour."

"Excuse me, what the behaviour has to do with the Gravity? Is that even a valid law?" Yongsun raised her eyebrow.

"It is. We're the living proof." Byulyi pointed to herself and Yongsun. "The distance between us, if any, is doesn't matter. I attracted to you no matter what. Your behaviour, and may I add, your looks as the bonus, attracts me like no other." Byulyi shrugged as if what she said was really a universal law of nature.

"Oh my God, that's cheesy. I didn't know you had that side of yours. That's much more like Byulyi's Law than anything." Yongsun snickered, but giggled anyway.

"Oh that sounds cool, lets name it Byulyi's Law then."

"You're impossible." Yongsun shook her head. "But yeah, lets call it Byulyi's Law."

After a good minutes of staring at each other and exchanged hundreds of dumb smiles, the couple helds hand for the first time and walked the hallway side by side.

Yongsun didn't regret for taking the Mechanics course twice if getting Byulyi as her girlfriend was the return.