Newton's 4th Law (Part 1/2)

The Sun, The Moon In Love

Deceived. That was what comes to her mind when Yongsun first found out the list of courses she should have to take for her fourth semester. There, written in capital letters among the list was Mechanics. Yes, she read it right. MECHANICS. A branch of Physics.

There was obvious reason of why she never put Physics on the list as the subject she'd take as her subject of study in the first place. It's simple. She hated it will all of her heart. That could be seen on how bad her grades in this subject were back in her High School days. She didn't know which come first, her hatred towards the subject that affected her grade or it was the other way around, the subject is way too hard for her medium-level-brain and she hated it for being that complicated. That's didn't matter though. She hated it. It's still a mystery for her of why would people even taking Physics as their Major. Even so, she truly, deeply respected them and their passion for it, a dedication that she couldn't put herself into. 

Taking Oceanography as her Major, she was aware that she couldn't completely escapes from the Physics, as the formulations used in most of her literature were derived from Physics itself. But she didn't mind much as long as it was just a small bit of Physics. But taking a full Mechanics class was a whole different story. Not to mention that it has a number of credits of 4 which means she have two classes of this course to go within a week. Perfect.

Yeah, it took 4 points of number of credits and yet she had failed on her first try. It's her second year of taking this course as she got a fabulous D as her final score for this subject last year. Fortunately (she should consider it as a fortunate though, she was such a positive person.) she had been saved from embarrassment since she was not the only one who failed. Frankly to say, almost half of the class failed this subject. Oh, yay.

The course was originally conducted by the Department of Physics, but it was opened for some other majors other than Physics which included this subject as one of their their main courses. Just like hers. So it has several big classes at each semester in which each of the classes were a mix of students from some Majors. That's the only good things about Mechanics, at least for Yongsun. She loved to see students from other Majors, specifically, she loved to see one particular person with thick spectacles and straight long black hair. The cutie nerd from the Major of Physics, Moon Byulyi.

Said girl was Yongsun one and only spirit for her not to skips a single class of Mechanics courses. Moon Byulyi was like a blossoming flower in the middle of autumn, a river in the desert, a light in the middle of darkness. During their classes, instead of paying attention to the professor, her eyes can't help itself from staring at this Moon Byulyi girl. It's not her fault though, it's all Byulyi's for being so damn attractive and happened to sit at the front row at every of their classes. That's the default arrangement, Byulyi would always take the front row whilst Yongsun never missed her favourite spot at the far back, the safest place to hide from the unwanted attention from the Proffesor and his random complicated questions. She should thank whoever designed the classroom to have a stadium-like seating rows, she could spot Byulyi easily cause her seat row was higher.

But that was last year classes. There's no way Byulyi will re-take the course since she passed the last year class with the highest score. It might sound creepy, but believe it or not, every time their exam result got announced the first name she sought for was Byulyi's name. She would scream in joy at how good they were, despite there's no really a wonder in that because Byulyi had always been good. Always wonderful. And also as predicted, her joy would turn sour as soon as she read the score of hers. How she hoped that -if it happened that Byulyi had noticed her existence- Byulyi was never by any chance looking into her scores, that would be a total embarrassment, a humiliation. This year Mechanics class will be a total torture for her without Moon Byulyi around. 

This morning Mechanics class was all too much. Too early and too complicated for her morning brain. She hates this class with a passion. Even when Wheein and a group of friend from the Oceanography making all the lame jokes on their way heading to the class, it couldn't lift up her mood that was already soured by the images of a bunch of weird symbol that's probably will be presented on today's class.

14 minutes had been passed from the time the class supposed to be started. Yongsun was gleamed in joy as no sign of the Professor will attend their class. She counts down the time, 60 seconds before the class will be automatically dismissed for the absence of the lecturer. But as her count reached at 5, she heard the most unwanted sound at this rate, the sound of the cracked door. She slammed her head atop of her desk and groaned in frustration. Why does this Professor had to attend the class on the last seconds. 

Little did she know, instead of the old professor, a young girl stepped in with a composure state rather than in a hurry mess for being late.

"Good morning, class. Sorry for being late." The girl said which earned a murmur from the class attendants. Who's this girl? Why did she have to apologize? And why she should bother to enter the class that was just about to dismiss? But the familiarity of this girl's voice sends a rush of sudden excitement on Yongsun. 

"No way!" Yogsun exclaimed and cranes her neck rather too fast. It can't be possible, she might be dreaming, right? But as she looked up to the girl standing in front of the class, she knew that she wasn't. 

"What is she doing here?" Yongsun whispered. Confusion written all over her face.

"I am here to inform you that Mr. Park won't be able to attend the classes for this whole two weeks since he have to attend a scientific conference abroad. During his absence, I will practically doing my best to assist his classes." The girl said, responding to commotion inside the class. "Oh, I forget to introduce myself. My name is Moon Byulyi, Mr. Park Assistant Lecturer for his Mechanics class for this semester." The girl slightly bows to the class.

Yongsun stunned. She was the same Moon Byulyi who was her classmate last year. It was common for a professor appointed a student as their assistant, but it was mostly from senior year or postgraduate student. A 3rd year student teaches the 2nd year actually isn't all that extra-ordinary but rather a rare case. But we were talking about the oh-so-genius Moon Byulyi here, so it must not be a surprise.

However, seems like not all the students know who Moon Byulyi was, especially the non-Physics student who were taking this course for the first time. Voices of skepticism roared. How could the University let this kid being their lecturer? Yongsun swears she held herself at her best not to shout to those kids and brags about how awesome and smart Byulyi is and they better to shut their mouth. The veteran students seemed to agree with Yongsun though.

As the class started and Byulyi presents the lecture so effortlessly, all the commotion started to die down as the students struck in awe by Byulyi's intelligence. Byulyi was so radiant, so glowing, and Yongsun was almost blind. Yongsun giggled inside, a smirk of proud visible on her face. Hah, that's my girl ya all!

Yongsun can't contain her excitement as she grinning like a fool, not even bothered by Wheein's whine telling her to stop because she looks really stupid. For the first time in her life, the Mechanics class becomes so exciting, and she looks forward for the next classes with the same -if not more- excitement. And guess what, she might as well willing to break her habit of sitting at the far back and take the front row seat for the next two weeks classes. 

__________

Yongsun can't believe that 2 weeks had been passed by in a blink of an eye and today is their last Mechanics class with Byulyi as their lecturer. She sighed, taking in the beauty displayed marvelously in front of her. It won't hurt to stare as much, the chance to meet her regularly will be as thin as Byulyi's waist afterward.

Maybe the thought of not being able to meet the girl in the future was the reason of the ridiculous action she has decided to do on their previous class. Yongsun panicked when Byulyi drops a quiz out of the blue on the last session of their class. She gulped, staring blankly at the question Byulyi had written on the white board. How can she not, because 1) She knew too well that single row innocent question Byulyi wrote requires a full A4 paper size essay as the answer. 2) She has no idea of what to answer and write down on her paper because honestly, she was busy admiring and gawking at the girl's beauty instead of paying attention of the material she had explained to the class. 3) She's running out of time, yet no single idea crossing her mind of what the answer of this damn question is. 

There's only 15 minutes left when suddenly a brilliant thought running in her mind. Of course it's not about the correct answer of this question suppose to be, but at least she has something to write and not to let the paper being handed blankly. 

"Ok. That's all for today. The next classes will be directly conducted by Mr. Park. But, I'll still be around to support him on this course. Please feel free to find me if you have something to ask about related to this course." With that Byulyi ends the class as well as ends Yongsun's passion for the next Mechanics classes. But before the class dismissed, Byulyi's next query makes Yongsun's heart jump from her chest.

"Has Kim Yongsun attended the class today? If yes, can you stay for a while after the class, please." Byulyi affirmed.

Crap. Yongsun has an idea of what was this all about. It must be related to her essay for the latest quiz. Yongsun didn't know of what to feel. Should she be happy to finally get a chance to talk to her crush for the first time after all this time admiring her from afar? Yes, she should be happy if only her essay didn't make the girl freaked out.

__________

"So, you are Kim Yongsun?" Yongsun puzzled, she has no idea of why the girl seems lost upon knowing her name. The students had already left, leaving the two of them remain inside the empty class. 

"Y-yes, I am. Is anything wrong?" Yongsun failed to hide her nervousness. 

"I think your name is Solar." Byulyi mumbled, but Yongsun could hear it clear enough, and it creates bubbles in her stomach. 

"Oh, wait, so you know my nickname?" Yongsun beamed.

"Didn't your friend called you so? We shared the same class last year, didn't we? Who wouldn't notice the only girl with the pink hair. And from what I remember you, and your group of friend were quite loud."

Yongsun doesn't quite sure how to feel by this revelation. It's nice to know that Byulyi was actually acknowledged her existence all this while, but it means that she also knew that Yongsun didn't pass the course last year, and that was definitely embarrassing.

And about the pink hair, she was actually purposely dyed her hair in pink after unintentionally overheard Byulyi's conversation with her group of friends about her intention to dye her hair pink because she think it might look cute on her. However, Byulyi never dyes her hair, but Yongsun did, and she never changed her hair colour since then.   

"I expect you know what is it?" Byulyi drew out a piece of paper in which Yongsun recognized it immediately as hers.

But what drew Yongsun's attention was not the paper. It's Byulyi. It's the first time she gets to this close with the latter. She can smell her perfume that smells like the sweetest fragrance she had ever smelled, her delicate hair that's smoother than any silk, her cute pointy nose, and ugh, those pink luscious lips that made Yongsun has to gulp down her own saliva. Byulyi is pretty, there's no doubt of it. And she glad for the fact that Byulyi's beauty was hidden behind those thick spectacles, conservative clothes that covering most of her pearly skin, and no touches of make up on her face. Or else, she didn't know how many boys or even girls she had to compete to win this certain hidden gem

"Care to explain what is this?" Yongsun gulped for the nth-time. She screwed. Really. But hey, she wasn't going to back off. She had already wasting a year for not having the courage to approach the girl. So, let's just see how far her luck and beauty getting through with this.

"Well, I think it's obvious." Yongsun replied. "Or, should I read this for you in case the genius brain of yours can't figure it out?" And before Byulyi could react, the paper on her hand had been snatched.

"No offense, Byulyi, but your class is no fun. Mechanics is no fun. So, I give my creative mind a try to write this for you. Me reading this will be most epic combo ever, be ready to be flattered, beauty." Yongsun winked and starts to read out her masterpiece.  

F = ma

That's the basic concept of Newton's Second Law, and it's true in a sense that how the Force that pulls me in to you was on a par with the Acceleration of my heart beats. It's stronger by the time I know how rapid my heart is beating for you.

The Third Law states that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. How I wish that's also true, because I hope that I have the same effect on you as much as I react to your action. Because you know what? My heart beats faster by simply hearing your deep voice, my blood pressure increased just by a glimpse of your presence. Did I have the same effect on you? Did you give the same reaction as I do?

I could go on and on with Physics' laws and principles, but in the end, all those laws summed up into one conclusion, that I've fallen for you.

If there's any nature of law we've been against, it's must be the Law of Reflection, because there's no way a Moon as the reflector could shine brighter than the Sun who is burned on with its own shine.

"How's that?" Yongsun smiled in satisfaction after finished reading her piece of art

"Well, I am flattered. But I am afraid that you can't pass this semester with that." Oh, that's it. Yongsun could feel the heat crawled up her cheeks and rose to her ears. She wants to dig a hole and buried herself deep.

"Yeah, not everybody a genius like you."

"It's not about being a genius, but how much effort you put."

"So you say I didn't put much effort? Did you know how much the time I had spent for it? It's just simply difficult." Yongsun groaned, banged her forehead on the table, ruffled her hair, and then stomped her feet like a kid. So much, and so extra.

"Maybe you just doesn't find the key yet. Look, maybe I can help you in case you need a help to find what you lacking with and find the solution, or just simply helping you with the material you find it difficult." Byulyi offered.

"Moon Byulyi, are you hitting on me?" Yongsun showed her widest smile she could muster.

"What?"

"You're implicitly asking me for a date, do you?"

"W-what, no. I... I mean it's not only you. I'll give the same offer to the other students who have the same problem as yours." Byulyi stuttered and Yongsun amused. Byulyi had always oozing the confidence when it comes to academic stuffs, witnessing her being stuttered and blushed was such a rare and precious experience. 

"Wheein my friend had a very same problem, but I never heard you give her an offer to help her study." Yongsun smirked.

"Well, it's because I don't know she had any problem. And obviously, she never writes a love letter on her paperwork."

"Oh, why so defensive. But since you insisted then let's just do it. So, where and when our first study date supposed to do?"

"It's NOT a date. And no, I don't insist on anything." Byulyi emphasized. 

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. But can we make a deal?"

"What deal?" 

"I'll work twice harder in an attempt to pass this hell-course, and I need you to help me with the study and stuff."

"That's basically what I had offered minutes ago."

"And if I can pass this semester, I think I deserve a reward."

"Why should you? Your grades have nothing to do with me." Byulyi protested.

"Come on, you can't be that petty." Yongsun tried to put on her best puppy eyes.

"That's so random and absurd, but I'll play your game, so what do you want as the reward?"

"You."

"Me?"

"Yes, you should date me if I pass."

Byulyi lost her words, the girl next to her really is something. As for Yongusun she has nothing to loose anyway. She is just being shameless and she was proud of it. Let's say that she was already ashamed for writing such stuff and got busted for not passing the minimum score for this course last year in front of her crush, so let's just embarrass herself further more.

After a brief minute of silence, Byulyi finally spoke up. "Wow, you're really something. But passing the course will be so easy, you just need to get the minimum score to pass and your problem will be solved. Let's set a standard here."

"What standard?" Yongsun challenged. 

"How about you earn an A, then I'll consider to date you?"

"W-what? A? C-Can... we lowered it to C? I mean we only need a C to pass the course, right?"

"So, I only worth a C for you, hm?"

"It... it's not like that. If I can't even get a C last year how am I suppose to get an A this semester? I am just being rational here." Yongsun reasoned.

"You have the point there. But I still refuse to be graded as C." Byulyi sighed. "Let's lowered it to B then, I am just being generous here." Byulyi mimicked Yongsun's tone. "But that doesn't mean I worth a B either. I'm a A+." Sounds cocky, but it was true anyway, Yongsun has no complaint on that.

"Fine. B seems pretty reachable." Yongsun agreed.

"Good. But it's only fair if I also can get something in return in case you fail."

"And what's that will be?" Yongsun furrowed her eyebrows.

"I have nothing particular in mind at this time, but I eager to think of some interesting thing. I'll tell you by the time it's time."

"I hope it won't be something creepy."

"Did I looked like one?" Byulyi squinted.

"No. I-I mean... who knows. But okay, deal then." Yongsun stuck out her hand in which Byulyi reciprocated to seal their deal.

"Deal." 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: I finally finished this story after sitting on my draft for ages. Hope you don't find it boring. Part 2 will be available in the next few days?... perhaps.