Twenty One

The Me In Your Canvas

"Damn... Feels like we're the only single es in this group now," Shownu grumbled, shoving some fries into his mouth.

"I guess so," Victoria sighed, watching Kai and Sehun chat it up as they stood in line to get some food. She certainly didn't feel any jealousy when she saw them anymore, nor was there a sting of leftover feelings. It just kinda that Kai didn't spend much time with his friends anymore.

Kris and Kyungsoo were also no where in sight which probably meant they were off making out in the art room or something. Amber also didn't show up at school that day. Victoria found herself alone with Shownu and Lay more often than ever. Which was fine, really. They were nice guys.

She just kind of wished Amber was around more often but the girl seemed adamant on being as invisible as possible. It was frustrating, really. One day she would be chatting up a storm and seemed genuinely interested in Victoria, and other days she was completely unavailable, if not physically then mentally. She was always sending out all these mixed signals and Victoria wasn't sure how to behave around her anymore.

I wish she could just be clear with me. Then again, I haven't been clear with her, either.

"What's rattling around in that coconut of yours, Vic?" Lay asked.

"Just wondering if I should ask someone out to prom..." She mumbled.

"Really? Who's the lucky guy? I didn't realize you were over Kai already. No offense, you just seemed really hung up on him." Shownu perked up, "At some point I was starting to wonder if he wasn't spending as much time with us because he was avoiding you but... It's clear he has other interests now."

"Gee, thanks for rubbing it in my face, Shownu. But no, I am over him. And... it's not a guy," she said cautiously, gauging their reactions.

"What the hell... Why is everyone around me turning gay?! First Kris, then Kai, now you. Who's next, Lay? I mean not that anything's wrong with being gay... But still!" Shownu exclaimed.

"Correction, I'm biual. I've been crushing on a dude for a while now," Lay cleared his throat.

"What?! You too? Now I feel really out of place for not also wanting to touch another dude's . Oh how the world has changed."

"We're all a little gay on the inside, Shownu. You just don't know it yet," Lay said, gently patting him on the back. "But anyways, you should ask her, Vic. What's the worst that could happen?"

"Rejection. That crushes your soul, man."

"I bet you'd know all about that," Lay chuckled.

"I've never been rejected because I don't do the asking. The ladies flock to me all on their own."

"Is that why you've already scored Sera as your prom date?"

He frowned, "Well, not yet."

"Who would have thunk? Some ladies actually have class."

"Shut up! she'll come around eventually."

"How is she gonna come around if you never asked her out and all you do is creepy flirting?"

"I will charm her with my overflowing manliness and my dazzling six-pack!"

"I think she's made it pretty clear she's not interested," Lay stated boredly. "Or maybe she's a lesbian too. Who knows?"

Shownu frowned as if the wheels in his head were turning, trying to work the thinky thinky parts of his brain.

"Okay, Vic. Let's do this. Let's ask 'em to prom. And if we get rejected, at least we'll get rejected together!"

Victoria rested her chin on her hand, pondering over the idea. It actually wasn't the worst idea to ever come out of Shownu's mouth. The moral support was just enough of a push for her to go for it as well.

"You know what, yeah. Let's do it. Today."

"Then we'll regroup tomorrow and see how it went!" He grinned, getting pumped up all of a sudden.

"Wait, what about you, Lay? Do you have a date?"

"Nah, I'm riding solo for this one," he shrugged.

"You're always riding solo, what are you talking about."

"Oh yeah, you're right."

 

Victoria stood outside the school campus, watching one of the last few students around get picked up. Looking off to the side, she saw a hunching figure sitting on the staircase and it didn't take long for her to realize it was Amber. Hoodie over her head, headphones shoved in her ears, head low to the ground as if she wanted to disappear into it. So she did come to school after all.

She in a breath and straightened up, making her way over.  I can do this.

"Hey," she muttered, placing a hand on her shoulder. Amber turned around, pulling one earbud out to look at her.

"Oh. Didn't realize you were still here."

"Sure, because you totally weren't avoiding me."

Amber rolled her eyes, "Don't flatter yourself. To avoid you I'd have to think of you and I certainly didn't do that."

"I wish I could say the same. But unlike someone I'm not a liar," Victoria chuckled, already used to her dry humor. Amber rolled her eyes, muttering a you wish under her breath. "Mind if I sit with you?"

"Knock yourself out."

Victoria took a seat next to her, folding her hands over her legs as she exhaled slowly. After a few awkward moments of silence, she finally spoke up. "So uh... There's something I wanted to say. And I'm only gonna say it once so listen up."

Amber paused, as if knowing what this would be about. "Sounds dangerous." Victoria gave her a no-bull look and Amber sighed, nodding slowly. "Okay, okay. I'm all ears."

"I like you, Amber. I'm sure you could tell," she confessed. "I just thought me saying it out loud might up our friendship and I just got it back. But I realized I hate being in this gray area with you, having you talk to me normally one day then ignore me the next. I think I'd rather we both were honest with each other already."

Amber didn't speak for a while, but she eventually looked up to meet her gaze.

"Vic... You know I'd be lying if I said I don't feel anything for you, because I do. As much as I hate to admit it, but those feelings never went away," she sighed, "I just... I don't think I'll be able to do this. I'm not ready to have that kind of relationship right now. Not with you, not with anyone."

"No one is ever ready, Amber. I recently got out of a relationship myself, and I know I won't be able to take being heartbroken again. But I'm still willing to risk that..." She reached for Amber's hand to grasp it tightly, "I can risk it for you."

Amber looked down at their intertwined hands sadly. "I wish I could do that too. I really do. But I've been doing a lot of thinking lately and I realized I have serious attachment issues. I'm always scared people will abandon me at any given moment. That's why I don't let myself get too close to most people. I mean, look at me...I get super mad when Sehun spends more time with Kai than me, I get jealous when you choose to hang out with your other friends over me. It's just so frustrating to deal with myself. That's why I tend to get all moody and . I can't ing control it."

"Amber... I would never abandon you. Not again." Victoria said earnestly. "I want to spend time with you. I just feel like you're never really there, like I'm a bother to you. That's why I give you your space."

"My own parents abandoned me, Vic. Left me in front of a church when I was 10 ing months old. I was passed around from foster home to foster home until I got adopted at 5. You think all that never ed me up? Well it did," Amber gritted her teeth as the other girl stared at her in shock, unable to believe what she was hearing. For a long minute, there was no other sound save for their breathing and the howling wind.

"I... I never knew that. You never told me." She said quietly.

"I never told anyone," she muttered, absentmindedly intertwining their fingers, needing that extra comfort. "Not even Sehun."

"I'm sorry..." She whispered, "And thanks for telling me all this. It means a lot."

Amber sighed softly, "Vic, you're not a bother... I just have some deep-seated issues I need to deal with on my own before I get into a relationship. I... I'm going to start going to therapy as well, after finals."

"That's amazing, Amber. I'm really glad you decided to do that on your own. You're really strong, you know?"

Amber chuckled, resting her head on Victoria's shoulder. "Thanks."

"Maybe you don't believe me now but... I'm not gonna let you go. I'm not giving up. And I'll be here for you through it all."

"I believe you," she said softly and Victoria smiled, running her fingers through Amber's short brown locks.

"I guess... I realize this probably looks like I'm rebounding. I think I should take some time to myself as well," Victoria said softly, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear. "I was actually going to ask you to come to prom with me but I guess that's out of the question for now."

Amber chuckled, "I wasn't planning to go anyway."

"Well... At least that's not a full rejection."

Amber smiled softly, gazing at her as she lightly squeezed her hand.

"I'm not promising anything but... I just need some time, okay? Until then..."

"Stay out of your way. Got it."

"No... I don't want that. Just... try to tolerate all the bull that comes with being my friend."

Victoria smiled, leaning in and lightly bumping their foreheads. "I'll try." Before she could back away though, Amber swiftly cupped her cheek, closing the distance between them and planting her lips on Victoria's.

It was a chaste kiss, a short one, but the fact that Amber initiated it made it all the more special. It felt like a silent promise, one that gave her hope.

That maybe one day, Amber would be hers.

 


 

"What's on your mind?"

"What?"

"You're making those googly eyes again. And your face is really red. Which means your either thinking of some really hot manga or Kai."

Sehun's face seemed to redden even more at the mention of Kai's name. Amber quirked a brow.

"What did you do?"

"Nothing?" He said shakily, which made it quite obvious it was lie.

"Did that best friend thief deflower you? Did he pop your pickle? Did he stamp your v card? Walk a straight line for me, right now!"

"My mom's gonna hear you, crazy woman!" Sehun all but shrieked, looking towards the door. "What's wrong with you! I'm still a , chill!"

She narrowed her eyes into slits, "But you guys did something. And you better tell me what it is."

He blushed again, pretending his biology textbook was suddenly very interesting. "We didn't do anything."

"Really ? After all these years of friendship you still think lying to my face is actually gonna work?"

"Amber... I thought you came here to study."

"And gossip about all the ing you've been doing."

"I didn't do any ing!"

"Oh, so he did the ing."

"There was no ing, period. So cool it, okay? We just... Did some light touching, is all."

She quirked a brow, "Please, elaborate."

He pursed his lips. "So, um..."

"Everywhere."

He could practically feel Kai smirk against his ear as he began to tug at Sehun's jacket to take it off.

"Okay."

It wasn't long before Sehun's shirt was being tugged off his body as he sat there in a haze, intoxicated in the heat of Kai's body. Kai's eyes trailed down his chest slowly, inhaling sharply. He put a palm against Sehun's chest, feeling him shiver under his touch.

Sehun instinctively closed his eyes, unable to take the heated look in Kai's eyes any longer than that. His whole body felt incredibly hot, yearning for more of Kai. Kai slowly trailed his hand down across his torso, tracing the toned planes of his stomach.

Kai in another breath, "Damn, you're pretty."

Sehun gulped, feeling himself blush even harder. He slowly opened his eyes, meeting Kai's that were almost waiting for his in anticipation. He smiled softly and continued to explore Sehun's body with his hands, tracing them down along his sides, up his back and shoulders and to his arms. At some points their lips were clashing again in an almost desparate dance and Kai had pushed his boyfriend down on the couch, hovering on top of him. His fingers stopped at his chest, lightly teasing at his .

That was around where he lost control of his vocal cords and let out a breathy moan as electricity shot throughout his body. He found himself arching his back, hips pressing up against Kai's. He was pleasantly surprised to find that Kai was just as stiff as he felt down there, and the thought made his whole brain draw a blank.

"Careful..." Kai hissed, biting at his bottom lip, "Unless you really meant everywhere."

Sehun looked up at him, eyes clouded. "I did," he whispered, rutting his hips up to exaggerate his point.

"You're gonna be the death of me, Oh Sehun," Kai groaned, reaching for Sehun's pants to them. He paused, looking up into his eyes earnestly, "I... This is my first time."

Sehun could see the uncertainty in his gaze, the vulnerability, and it made him feel somehow less nervous. He wasn't the only one that was new to this, Kai was too.

"Lucky for you I have zero experience and I'll have nothing to compare this to."

He frowned, "but what if... I do it wrong?"

"Then I probably won't notice."

He smiled softly, seeming a little more relaxed as he slid his pants down his legs slowly. Sehun gripped his shoulders tightly, closing his eyes so he didn't have to think of the fact that he was almost completely underneath Kai.

"Hey..." Kai whispered, frowning. "Should I stop? Is this too much?" His fingers played at the hem of Sehun's black boxers, waiting for some sort of green light.

"I um..." Sehun shook his head, suddenly feeling very self-conscious. And . And confused. He wasn't really sure what he wanted. He definitely didn't want to stop, but that didn't mean he wasn't embarrassed.

Deciding words were never his forte anyway, he let his hands do the talking, sliding them down Kai's torso and stopping at the hem of his jeans. He fumbled with the button, hands shaking. Thankfully enough, Kai quickly took the hint and went to his own pants, sliding them off and tossing them to the floor.

Once that was done, Sehun was kissing him again, almost desparately, as his hips moved on their own accord. His hands grabbed Kai's hips, pulling him in each time as he up. Kai let him set the pace while his tongue explored Sehun's mouth.

Kai was right. It was too much. The sweet friction between them, the heat of their bodies pressed together, their kisses lewder than they'd ever been, the way Kai rutted against him and groaned pleasurably into his mouth. He found himself unable to hold in the moans that escaped his throat as he chased that pleasure coiling between them endlessly.

Until it did end.

"Ahh! K-Kai..."

"Oh no," Amber blinked, "You didn't."

Sehun fidgeted, face reddening at the memory.

"Oh, you did, didn't you. Oh dear. The second hand embarrassment is real."

"Thanks Amber, you're making this so much better," he huffed.

"What's there to feel better about? You came down your boxers after a ing session. That's... Yeesh. Did you go home like that? Ewww!"

"Of course not! He... He went up to his room and... Got me some clean boxers to change into."

She cringed even harder, covering her face with her hands. "Oh God. That's even worse. I would break up with you if I were him."

"I can't even look him in the eye. I've been avoiding him all day. He kept telling me it was fine after it and he didn't mind but I mind! I can't live with myself. Oh God. Now I need to look for a cave to spend the rest of my life in." He dug his face into his palms, shaking his head at the whole memory.

"Hey, it's alright," she sighed, patting his shoulder comfortingly, "Cheer up. I'm sure we'll find a cave somewhere on Airbnb."


 

"So... I got rejected," Victoria announced the next day during lunch.

"Me too," Shownu exhaled slowly as if relieved he finally got it out of him, his shoulders relaxing. He didn't want to be the only loser who got rejected so he waited for Victoria to say something before he did.

"This is sad. I'm sitting at a sad table." Lay drawled as he sipped on his orange juice.

"Well it is kinda sad, looks like neither of us has a date for prom," Victoria grinned.

"You're awfully chirpy for someone who just got rejected."

"It just feels good getting it off my chest, you know?" Shownu groaned under his breath, crossing his arms. "Come on Shownu, don't look so glum. You can always go to prom with any of the seventy other girls that asked you."

His face seemed to fall even more and Lay cackled evilly.

"Oh boy, no one asked him this year. Looks like everyone's over the whole big bad star basketball player that will also play ball with your heart charm."

"Are you done?" Shownu deadpanned, glaring at his friend. Victoria stared at him thoughtfully before shrugging.

"Well... Screw it. I'm not gonna be one of those losers who goes to prom alone," She said, "Go to prom with me?"

He looked up at her in surprise, unsure if she was joking but she only eyed him expectantly. He sighed.

"As much as this seems like a pity date... But sure."

"Trust me, it's not as much pity for you as it is pity for myself."

"Sad table is sad. You guys should smoke up some time."

"That..." Shownu grunted, "Is actually not a bad idea."

"Prom seems like a good time to break my weed ity," Victoria added thoughtfully.

"Yeah, especially since you won't be losing your ity ity anytime soon," Lay wiggled his eyebrows and Victoria rolled her eyes at him. She looked around the cafeteria, eyes searching for a certain short-haired brunette. She spotted her at her usual table with Sehun, and their eyes met as if Amber was waiting for her to look.

Victoria held her gaze, smiling softly and sending her a short wave. Amber's lips curled up ever so slightly as she waved back.

"Hey guys."

She was surprised to find Kai taking a seat at their table, placing his lunch tray down. Still unsure how to react with him nearby, she picked at her own lunch. "Hey."

"Sup," Lay greeted.

"Look who finally remembered we exist," Shownu scoffed, crossing his arms.

He smiled apologetically, scratching the back of his head, "Sorry guys. I know I haven't been around as much lately."

"That apology is only a few months overdue," he rolled his eyes.

"Well I'll make it up to you."

"How?"

"I'll treat you to pizza after finals."

Shownu narrowed his eyes into slits before shaking his head slowly. "Buying my friendship through my stomach..." He paused before grinning, "You know me too well."

The two fist bumped as they got back into their usual banter. Victoria smiled to herself. In truth, she sometimes felt like Kai didn't hang around the group as much because of her. Or more like to give her space. She didn't need that though, and maybe Kai started to realize that. Maybe someday they'd go back to being the friends they used to be.



 

"Come in!" Sehun called out, pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose as he jotted down notes. The door clicked and swung open. A thud sounded as something dropped to the floor, but Sehun was way too focused in his work to even turn. The only thing that caught his attention was when warm breath tickled the side of his ear and hands landed on his shoulders.

"Mom, what do you w-"

He froze when he felt plump lips nip at his earlobe. Wait... That's not my mom.

He turned his head around slowly, almost jumping back when he found himself face to face with a smirking Kai.

"Missed you," he whispered, planting a soft kiss against his cheek before standing up straight.

"W-Why are you here?"

Kai pouted, "Aw, that hurts babe. I came to study. You said you'd help me, remember?"

Sehun blinked, "I did?"

"Here's some study snacks for you boys," his mother walked in cheerfully, placing a tray full of fruit, crisps and two glasses of juice down on the desk.

"Why did you let him in?" Sehun deadpanned.

"Sehun! That is no way to treat your future husband!"

His eyes widened, cheeks flushing as Kai smirked at him. "Yeah, you tell him Ms. Oh!"

"Please, call me Eunbi," she giggled. "Now, I'll leave you guys to it. But no funny business! Not until after finals, anyway. You two need to study."

"Yes ma'am. I mean, Eunbi."

She smiled warmly, lightly slapping his shoulder as she stalked off and closed the door behind her. All while Sehun watched the exchange with wide eyes.

"She's the best," Kai grinned, going to his backpack and pulling out some books as he got comfortable on Sehun's bed.

"What should we start with?"

Sehun bit his lip, still unable to look at Kai. Not since... The incedent. But clearly Kai wasn't going to just up and leave anytime soon.

"You didn't even say you were coming over," Sehun grumbled.

"I would have, if you actually talked to me."

Sehun pulled his knees up to his chest, hugging them to himself. "I talk to you," he mumbled.

"You blew me off whenever I came within two feet of you."

"I... Uh..."

"Sehun, can you look at me?"

Sehun gulped, slowly turning around to face his boyfriend. He had a soft look on his face.

"About the other night... You know you don't have to be embarrassed, right?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Sehun..."

"It's not like I can help it," his face reddened as he looked away.

"What I want to say is... I enjoyed every second of it. You were wonderful, and I mean that. There's nothing to be ashamed of."

"Ugh stop! Now you're embarrassing me even more," he groaned, digging his face in between his knees.

He heard some rustling before a hand was running through his hair, sliding down to hold his own hand and lightly tug at it. He gently pulled him off the chair and towards the bed so they could sit across from each other. Kai cupped his cheek and tilted his head up to meet his eyes.

"Fine... It's that bad huh?" He chuckled, gently caressing his cheek with his thumb. "Alright... I guess we'll need to forget it ever happened and have a do-over."

Sehun stared at him, scandalised, "Dude! My mom is like right outside!"

"Not today," he laughed softly as he lowered his hand, "On prom night. Will you spend the night with me?"

Sehun blinked, feeling his stomach swirl at the idea. Yes, he definitely wanted to spend the night cuddling up to Kai... Among other things. He didn't mind that at all. And he did like the idea of a do-over where he didn't completely make a fool out of himself as well.

"And... We pretend that day never happened?" Sehun asked uncertainly.

"Well, not the whole day... Just the part where you-"

Sehun held a hand up before he could finish his sentence. "Alright, alright. I agree."

Kai smiled, leaning forward and firmly pecking his boyfriend's lips. He was pulling away too soon and Sehun unconsciously leaned back in to lengthen the kiss. Kai chuckled softly.

"I could do this all day but I really did come there to study," he whispered against his mouth. Sehun wanted to grab him and say no, let's just make out instead. But he really was behind schedule and he could only imagine where Kai was. ing education. It's honestly not even worth it. He grumbled under his breath.

Kai pulled back, smiling teasingly at an agitated Sehun.

"Save it for prom night babe," he winked.

 


 

*Shuffles in shyly* hi... I still exist, I guess🙈

Sorry about the late update. Got through more author's blocks in this chapter than I could count. There's just one more chapter to go! Hopefully it won't take me as long to finish lol. Stay tuned.

I'm also conflicted over whether or not this story should include . I don't know, I just feel like they're still way too innocent to go all the way. Thoughts?

Song of the day: "You Can't Hold My Heart" by Monsta X. This chorus is a thing of beauty, it's been on loop in my head since I heard it.