Twelve

The Me In Your Canvas

Sehun slumped down on his bed, throwing his backpack next to him and staring blankly at the mirror in front of him.

Okay, what the actual just happened?

One moment he was avoiding Kai and the next they're confessing their feelings for each other. And then Kai asked him out and he agreed. Everything just happened so fast, it felt like a dream. It probably was. It definitely wouldn't be the first time.

He went to pinch himself but his phone ringing stopped him. He frowned. What the hell? No one ever calls me.

He found himself falling off his bed and when he saw the caller ID. It was Kai. He whimpered, wondering what the hell he was supposed to do. Why was Kai calling him? What did he want? Why couldn't he just text? He hated talking to people on the phone, even his mom. His social anxiety only multiplied over the phone.

Clearing his throat nervously, he answered the call.

"H-Hello?" He muttered awkwardly.

The other side of the line was silent for a while. Frowning, Sehun spoke up.

"Kai?"

"I'm sorry," Kai let out an airy laugh, "I just wanted to hear your voice."

Sehun blushed. "Okay... You heard it... Can I hang up now?"

"Please don't," Kai said, a little too quickly. "I'm just... I feel like I need a reality check."

"Same here..."

"I wanna see you. Can I come over later today?"

"Actually... I'm a little busy today."

"Yeah? With what? I mean... Not to be nosy or anything..."

Sehun grinned, laying back in his bed, "No you're not. You wanna know if I'm going to meet up with Tao."

Kai laughed, "Okay, maybe. So are you?"

"Well... I do have to reject him. Better sooner than later right? I don't want to leave him hanging any longer."

Kai was silent for a moment before speaking up again, "Okay."

"Besides, he's still my friend."

"I know I know, but you can't blame me for being a little jealous. I get jealous really easily."

"Yeah, I can tell."

"Alright then. I'll leave you alone for now. I know you hate speaking on the phone," Kai paused, "Bye."

"Bye..." Sehun said awkwardly before hanging up, sighing dreamily. Kai wanted to see him and hear his voice. The thought alone made him so giddy. When did he get so lucky anyway? What did Kai even see in him? He sat up and looked at the mirror. He wasn't particularly handsome, his face was about as interesting as a plank of wood. His glasses made him look boring and nerdy. His hair was a plain brown, straight and fell over his forehead. And to top it all off, his clothes were way too loose. Then there was Kai who was perfect, the most handsome boy he'd ever seen. Perfect height, perfect build, and a great sense of fashion.

It seemed like all his insecurities smacked him in his face all at once. He didn't feel good enough for Kai at all. Of course he didn't want to lose him either, not after he just got him. But at that moment, he really felt like he just didn't bring enough to the table.

His phone buzzed yet again, breaking his train of thought. He looked down at the caller ID and cringed. Of course Tao had to call him right now. Gulping, he picked up the phone.

"New phone who dis?"

"You know it's me Sehun," Tao laughed, "You've been really quiet lately. Everything okay?"

"Uh, yeah. Totally. I still have all five of my limbs and fabulous hair."

Tao chuckled, "I'm glad." After a short pause, he muttered "I missed you."

"R-Really?" Sehun blushed, not sure how else to respond.

"Yeah, a lot. I've been thinking about you all day."

Sehun blushed even harder if that were even possible, and at the same time he felt guilty. Poor Tao had no idea he was about to get rejected. Why is life so unfair? Ugh, if there was another me, I would totally date the hell out of you.

"So... Did you... Think about it? I mean I don't want to rush you or anything but... I've been really anxious. And I'm scared I ruined our friendship."

"No... Of course not. I couldn't lose you as a friend. It's just... Please don't get mad."

Tao sighed, "There's someone else right?"

Sehun gasped, "Are you a wizard?"

"I guess it was just obvious."

"Oh," Sehun bit his lip, "I'm sorry."

Tao sighed, "It's okay. I won't say that doesn't hurt but as long as you're happy, I'm happy."

"I really didn't mean to hurt you. I just... Didn't know how to say it. Frankly I don't know what I'm doing most of the time. I don't even know if I deserve him."

"Why wouldn't you? Anyone would be lucky to have you, Sehun. You're sweet, smart, handsome and adorable as hell... I know I would have killed to be in his place right now."

"You don't have to say that just to make me feel better."

"I'm serious though. Don't you see how amazing you are?"

Sehun blushed, looking at the mirror in front of him. "No actually, I don't."

"Alright then, how about I show you?"

"What? How?"

"Get ready, I picking you up in twenty."

"Huh? Why? Where are we going?"

"Just get ready!"

Tao hung up suddenly, leaving Sehun to blink in confusion.

 

"What is up with these three?" Shownu whispered to Victoria, motioning to Kai, Kris and Lay.

"I think I'd rather not know." She rolled her eyes, taking her books out of her locker.

"Lay is probably just high. But these two have really changed ever since they joined the art club. What's the deal with that place?"

"I don't know. Maybe it's Hogwarts."

Shownu slammed his locker rather loudly, snapping the three out of their stupor momentarily.

"That's it. I'm about to find out."

"What? Are you gonna join the art club too?"

"No, but I'm gonna find out what it is about that place. They've gone nuts since they started going there. I hardly even see their faces anymore since they're always in that godforsaken room. Kai never wants to go with me to the gym anymore. Kris is always 'busy'. And Lay. Who's high most of the time. Most of the time I find myself alone at our cafeteria booth with a burrito. I've about reached my limit."

When there was no answer, he looked to his side to see that Victoria was no longer there. Instead, she was a few feet away, talking animatedly to a tomboyish girl with really short, blonde hair.

"Seriously?!" he groaned. 

 

Kai looked around the hallway for Sehun, unable to keep himself from getting excited. He wasn't really sure what Shownu was talking about, something about drugs and Hogwarts, but he didn't really care. All he wanted was to see Sehun again. He'd been up all night thinking about seeing him at school the next day. He couldn't believe Sehun actually agreed to date him. He'd been wondering how their relationship would change, where he would take them on their first date, whether they should go public and everything of the sort. Sighing dreamily at the thought of his new relationship, he didn't notice the entire hallway going silent all at once. Curious stares and whispers filled the air around them and it didn't take him long to realize something was off. He looked towards the entrance, his jaw nearly falling off at what he saw.

It was Sehun alright, but he had his hair cut and styled up rather than the usual mushroom haircut he usually had. His uniform was no longer twice his size, but fit him perfectly and he wasn't wearing his thick rimmed glasses. Technically he didn't change that much, yet he looked so different. He couldn't stop staring at the boy, and neither could everyone else in the hallway. Sehun's face got redder with every step he took. It was the most awkward and uncomfortable Kai had ever seen him.

"What the ?" He heard Amber retort from a few feet away, obviously not very happy with her best friend's new look.

Kai managed to get his eyes off Sehun long enough to see that everyone else was eyeing him from top to bottom. And for some reason, it really pissed him off. He quickly made his way over to the boy, who stopped to stare at him expectantly. Grabbing his hand, he began to pull him away from the crowded hallway to the nearest empty classroom.

Sehun blushed, looking down at their intertwined hands as Kai frowned at him.

"Um... Hi."

Kai exhaled. Though he was annoyed, he couldn't deny that Sehun looked y as hell.

"Why?"

Sehun blinked, "Don't you like it?"

"Of course I do! You look way too hot and that's the problem!"

"Uh... Is it?"

"Yeah of course! Everyone was staring at you! You... You were just fine the way you were before. Why did you change your look?"

Sehun stepped away from him, frowning. "What's your deal? You think I feel comfortable with everyone looking at me like that?"

"So why'd you do it?"

"Because I thought I wasn't good enough!" Sehun snapped, "I wanted to try something new... And feel good about myself for once! Is that such a big problem to you?"

Kai's eyes softened as he stepped forward and cupped his cheek.

"Sehun... You are already perfect... You don't even have to try. You were perfect then and you are perfect now."

"Well you already went and made me feel like an idiot for doing all this. Thanks for nothing, you piece of ."

Kai sighed in defeat, "Look, I'm sorry. I really am. I just... I get jealous, okay?"

Sehun's anger dissipated gradually as he looked up at the elder's sincere eyes, feeling his heart thump in his chest. Kai caressed his cheek softly.

"You got issues," he grumbled.

"I know," Kai laughed, admiring the younger's handsome face, "You look amazing. But... don't get too surprised if I break a few people's faces if they ogle too hard."

Sehun felt a smile tug at his lips, "That's if I don't do it first."

"Right. Sometimes i forget you're a martial artist. Your eyes look a little red though, are you okay?"

"Oh, it's just the contacts. I'm still getting used to it."

Kai smirked, "You did all this for me, didn't you?"

"Pfft... No."

"God, you're too cute."

"I'm... Not," he blushed, looking off to the side.

"You have no idea," Kai said softly, turning Sehun's head to face him. He stared at him, a soft smile playing at his lips. Sehun couldn't help but get lost in his eyes, and he saw so much admiration in them that he couldn't even believe it was all for him. His heart bumped against his chest rapidly as he stepped closer, mustering up every ounce of courage he had. Kai gazed at him expectantly, eyes dropping to his lips. Sehun began to lean in ever so slowly, closing his eyes-

"Alright that's enough you too," Amber suddenly walked into the room, breaking them apart much like the previous day. The two glared at her for ruining their moment yet again.

"Sehun, what the hell did you do to yourself? You look like a grade A boy and i don't want to be your friend anymore."

"Does that mean I'm finally getting rid of you? Thank God."

"Shut up you five year old. Come on, we have class."

She grabbed his arm and began to drag him out of the room. He pouted as he looked back at Kai. The latter simply smiled and made his way over to him, placing a sweet kiss on his forehead.

"I'll see you later, okay?"

His face brightened up as he nodded slowly, Amber cringing in the back and pulling her best friend out of the classroom. 

 

"What is he doing here?" Kyungsoo hissed at the tall boy sitting next to him, eyes fixed on a certain brunette who was glaring at them.

"I wish I knew," Kris sighed.

"He's your friend, tell him to leave. The staring is really distracting."

"Hey Shownu, get the hell out of here. We're trying to focus."

"Not until I find out what wizardry is going on in this place."

"Oh yeah? And I'll punch you so hard no one will know what wizardry happened to your face."

Shownu rolled his eyes, "You and I know both know you can't throw a punch for a bag of . I understand you're trying to impress your new boyfriend but that's not gonna work."

Kyungsoo blushed at the term as Kris stared at his friend in disbelief.

"WE'RE NOT-" the two said at the same time, before staring at each other awkwardly. It's like the word wouldn't come out because they weren't exactly "just friends" either. Their whole relationship was in this weird grey area they didn't really knew how to describe.

Shownu raised an eyebrow at the two flustered boys.

"Might as well let him know how you feel, Kris."

"The last thing I need is relationship advice from you."

"Alright, that's enough," Kyungsoo stood up, "Out, Shaun."

"It's Shownu, and you can't kick me out."

"I'm the club president, and I sure as hell can."

"You won't be for long when I find out where you keep the drugs."

Kyungsoo frowned, "What?"

"I'm onto you guys," Shownu stood up, narrowing his eyes, "I'm going to expose this so-called "Art Club" for what it really is, so you better watch out!"

Kyungsoo and Kris shared a confused look as the other boy went for the door. Before he could open it, someone from the other side did and ended up hitting him in the face.

"Ouch!" He held his face in pain as the person who walked in gasped.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," Sera apologized profusely. Shownu looked up, ready to screw ever whoever just hit his beautiful face with a door, but held his breath when he looked up.

Whoa... is this an angel?

"Th-That's okay," he said, smiling at her.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah! Yeah, totally fine! I uh... what's your name?"

She frowned, "It's Sera... You sure that doesn't hurt?"

"Well it definitely doesn't hurt as much as it hurt you."

"Huh?"

"You know, when you fell from heaven."

She cocked a brow at the lame pick-up line. "Uh...yeah, I need to get to work so..."

She walked right past him as his eyes followed her, awe-struck. How come he never saw her before? She had to be the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. Before he knew, it, the door opened again, this time hitting the back of his head.

"Oh, sorry," Kai said nonchalantly as he strode right in, making his way to the corner of the room where Sehun was painting.

"You son of a-"

"Hey," Kai grinned, sitting down next to Sehun. He smiled back at him shyly before going back to his painting. The tan male watched him for a while before speaking.

"So... what do you think about coming over to my place later today? I needed some help with homework."

Sehun paused slightly, eyeing the other boy doubtfully. "Just homework?"

Kai grinned, "Just homework, honest. Then we can... you know... watch some Netflix and eat junk food."

"So... Netflix and chill then?"

"I'm starting to think you're the erted one here."

He scoffed, "You never stood a chance anyway. I read BL comics for crap's sake. Which reminds me, you said your sister reads them too right? I might just come over after all. I'm running low on reading material."

"Just read normal books then."

Sehun stared at him in disbelief, "Don't be ridiculous."

The other chuckled at that as Sehun went back to painting and Kai went back to watching him just like they usually did. These were Kai's much-needed moments of peace throughout the day.


 

"I can't do it."

"Come on, let's try once more. And spread your legs a little more."

Sehun groaned, "My body wasn't made for this torture."

"So it was made for the torture of trigonometry and photosynthesis?"

"Yes!"

"Okay, okay, we can take break," Kai smiled, sitting down on the bed next to the exhausted Sehun.

"You're a great dancer, you know."

Kai shrugged, "Lay's actually a lot better than me. I just do it for fun."

"I think you're better."

"Wow that's a totally unbiased opinion," Kai smiled, ruffling Sehun's now shorter hair. He looked good in it but Kai sort of missed his old hair. It made him look adorable. Now he was just hot. Which was awesome too, he was definitely not complaining.

"I mean, I don't know a lot about dance but... you have a very distinct body language when you do it. I can't explain it, it's just very charming and... breathtaking. Heck the only reason I noticed you was when I saw you dance. I couldn't take my eyes off you since then."

A smile grew on Kai's lips at hearing that from Sehun. He always thought he was pretty average at everything but Sehun actually made him feel like he was talented. He leaned in closer to him, smirking.

"Are you flirting with me?"

Sehun his lips, a little flustered at the close proximity. "Um... am I? I don't know how flirting works. If it's weird then... I'll take it back."

"No, you should do it more."

"Ugh, you're so embarrassing," Sehun looked away from him, making Kai smile and pull his face back to him.

"Don't avoid me. I don't want you to hide how you feel when you're with me."

"It's just... I'm not used to this. All this relationship stuff. I can make erted jokes and all but when it comes to actually being in a romantic situation, I just totally freak out and get all nervous."

"I understand. We don't have to rush into this. And if I'm ever doing anything you don't like, just tell me. Sehun, you're really important to me. So much that it scares me sometimes. I'd never do anything to drive you away, at least not voluntarily."

Sehun smiled and looked up into his honey brown eyes, feeling all warm inside.

"Okay... I have a favour to ask you."

"Sure, anything."

"Can we keep our relationship a secret? Just for a while. Not that I mind being seen as your boyfriend but I mean... I don't want people thinking you dumped Victoria for me or something. It wouldn't be fair to her. Maybe we should give it a month or two before going public."

Kai looked surprised at that. "Whoa... you're the first person I've been with who cares about how my ex feels. You really are something, Sehun."

"No it's just... I know that she gave you up so you could be with me. Amber told me about it. I don't want to cause her any trouble on top of that."

"I know, and you're right. Let's keep it private for now," Kai smiled, taking his hand, "But she didn't give me up for you. She did it for me. She knew how I felt about you."

Sehun nodded, "She's an amazing girl."

"That's true," Kai paused, before narrowing his eyes at the boy next to him playfully. "So.... you're my boyfriend now, huh?"

Sehun blushed, "Did I say that? I didn't say that. Oh look, a plant!"

Kai chuckled, "I like the sound of that. Boyfriend." He held Sehun's hand up to his lips to kiss it softly. "Want to try dancing again?"

"... Fine."

Kai made his way to the stereo to play something a little slower. Once he decided on the song, he walked to Sehun and held his hand, pulling him up. He wrapped his other arm around the younger's waist, softly guiding him along with the music. Sehun kept looking away from him shyly, but he didn't mind. The boy was still getting used to their new relationship and he was going to give him all the time he needed.

"You're beautiful," Kai murmured.

"I'm a man, don't call me beautiful..." Sehun scoffed just as the other spun him.

"This is the only word that comes close to describing you," Kai sighed, "It's not easy for me to find someone I can be so comfortable with. To be my real self."

"I think your real self is pretty dope... Why do you even bother faking it?"

"Because of my dad, Sehun. Most of the time I'm faking smiles and pretending to be outgoing and happy. Pretending I'm comfortable with everyone and making meaningless small talk. It's what I've been taught to do every since I was a child... Keeping good relationships with everyone. Being nice to everyone, being a people's person. You only realize how much it really takes out of you when you've been doing it day after day, year after year. But with you... I don't know what it is. I feel like I can show my feelings the way they truly are in front of you no matter what. That's what made me so attracted to you. We have the same problem, Sehun. It's just that you don't choose to pretend. You stay in your comfort zone and stay who you are. I envy that. "

"I..." Sehun sighed, "It's not all that fun being me either. It might not seem like it but I have more insecurities than I can count. I can't say two words to a stranger without freaking out and stuttering like an idiot. Not having a social life... That takes a bit out of you too. "

Kai nodded in understanding. It was true, Sehun didn't have it easy either. Neither of them did. And that's made them so comfortable with each other. That's why they had this undeniable chemistry the moment they met.

"To be honest... The reason i changed up my look was because I was scared I wasn't good enough for you. You're just gorgeous and I'm so plain...on top that I wear the most unflattering clothes. I just felt like I wasn't fit for you. So Tao and I went shopping yesterday and I got my haircut. I was uncomfortable with all the people staring at me but I thought... I wanted to do it for you."

Kai blinked, unable to comprehend what Sehun just said. He thought he wasn't good enough for Kai? Why? Sehun was amazing just the way he was, why did he feel like he had to change for him? But the part that irked him the most was...

"Wait, with Tao?"

"Huh? Uh, yeah. He's a bit of a fashionista so I took his advice."

"B-But why Tao?"

"Why not?"

"Because he likes you! And I'm not okay with that."

"Look, I already told him I was into someone else. Besides, we're friends."

"Still, I don't like the fact that you hung out with him. Without telling me."

"Stop being such a jealous hoe."

"Damn right I'm a jealous hoe! I don't want my boyfriend hanging out with someone I know is interested in him! Isn't that only natural?"

"I guess," Sehun shrugged, "But I'm still hanging out with him."

"Fine," Kai huffed, "But you have to tell me when you meet him."

"So you can follow us around again? Yeah, no thanks."

"I won't! That was one time, water under the bridge. Get over it already."

Sehun laughed, lighting shoving Kai, "How can I? It was hilarious."

"Hilarious? Wait... so you weren't upset that I followed you around? Why did you make me think you were?"

Sehun blushed slightly, "Well... I... was confused. You kept telling me how much you loved Victoria then you do something like that. You were so inconsistent, and I couldn't understand your true feelings. That's what upset me."

"I was confused myself," Kai placed his hand on Sehun's, "I just felt like I'd really regret it if I let Tao have you. I've had a history of being in relationships that don't last. And when I thought I'd found someone who I really wanted to spend my life with, you came along and changed all that. I never even dated a guy before so I was scared and in denial."

"Honestly, I thought you were straight and I had no chance."

Kai laughed, "Yeah I don't blame you, I was always vague about my uality. I'm biual. I mean, I thought I liked girls more but obviously that's not the case."

Sehun smiled at him shyly, loving the butterflies fluttering around in his stomach. It all felt so unreal, being with guy he'd been crushing on for so long. Finding someone who accepted him and enjoyed his company was already so hard. Having someone so attractive and sweet reciprocating his feelings seemed all the more impossible. Kai stepped closer and held him by the waist again, guiding them along with the music.

"See... easy, right?" He said softly.

"Yeah," Sehun smiled warmly. Everything was easy and comfortable when it was with Kai. It was true he knew nothing about relationships, apart from what he read in BL manga of course, but he had a feeling that they would be able to overcome that as long as Kai was with him.

Speaking of BL manga...

"Oh, where's Lisa?"

 


 

 

Damn. Sorry for the long wait guys! I rarely got to use my laptop lately so it took me forever to write this chapter. I hope you guys liked it anyway though I had to edit it in a bit of a rush. I'm not sure when I'll update next but I'll try my best to be early!

Until next time :D