Eleven

The Me In Your Canvas

Avoiding Kai at school was becoming a real chore. Okay so maybe Sehun overreacted the previous night. He wasn't really that mad. He was just confused. When he saw Amber and Kai following him that day, he felt angry yet at the same time... It made his heart flutter that Kai was so bothered that he had to tail him on his date. It sort of gave him hope that... maybe Kai liked him back. But it also confused the hell out of him because he had a girlfriend, and there was no way he'd leave a beautiful girl like Victoria for blegh Sehun. Heck he didn't even know if he was into guys. He avoided Kai because he didn't want him getting in the way of making his decision. His decision on whether or not to date Tao.

Their date had gone great but it was hard for Sehun to think of him as anything more than a friend. Besides the tons of compliments and excessive eye contact, it just felt like they were hanging out as usual. But he couldn't just leave the guy hanging, he had to give him an answer. His head told him that he should go for it. Tao was a sweet, amazing guy who would definitely treat him right. But his heart only wanted Kai. Dorky, understanding, cute Kai that liked Sehun just the way he was. He knew he couldn't have him, but he liked him so much, it was almost annoying.

Groaning, he put down his paintbrush in frustration, unable to focus on his painting anymore.

"You okay?" Kyungsoo asked suddenly from beside him, making the boy jump. He forgot Kyungsoo was even in the art room since it was so quiet.

"U-Uh, yeah. Fine."

The shorter boy nodded slowly and turned back to his own canvas. Sehun frowned at him.

"Hey, Kyungsoo... You look different."

The boy looked up at him, "Different? How so?"

Sehun wasn't sure. He was wearing the same clothes, had the same haircut and it wasn't like he was wearing makeup or anything. Yet he looked different- brighter. "I don't know, you're kinda... glowing?"

Kyungsoo's looked at him curiously for a second before a small blush appeared on his cheeks. Sehun wasn't sure if he saw that right. I mean, Kyungsoo? Blushing? That's new. He cleared his throat and shrugged, looking away from Sehun.

"You must be imagining things."

"Huh..." Sehun said slowly, "I guess so. Where's Kris? He's usually here during lunch break."

His blush seemed to darken when he heard the name but he tried to play it cool by shrugging casually, "Don't know."

"Speak of the devil..." Sehun stated when the door opened and a tall boy walked in, hands shoved deep in his pockets. Kyungsoo looked up as well, pursing his lips as Kris made his way toward them.

"You're late," Kyungsoo said bluntly as he turned his attention back to his painting, "Sit down, we're gonna do landscape today."

"Actually," Kris spoke, pausing for a moment, "I'm quitting the art club."

Kyungsoo's tried to hide the shock on his face as he met the taller boy's gaze. Which were unnervingly serious.

"Very funny."

"I'm serious," Kris said, and the look on his face did nothing to prove that wrong. Kyungsoo stared at him blankly for a moment, their conversation from the previous night seeping in. He knew he said some mean things but he'd apologized to him. And they were just fine after it. So why was Kris quitting now?

Sehun looked between the two, feeling the tension in the air building and deciding it was best if he gave the two some privacy. He quickly stood up from his seat, leaving the art room so the two were alone in there. He had no idea what was going on between them but he wasn't about to poke his nose in other peoples' business. Unlike some people.

"Why? Is it because of what I said yesterday?" Kyungsoo asked after Sehun left, standing up so he didn't feel so small in front of the giant. Granted he was still small anyway, but at least he felt more confident standing up.

"You had a twisted way of doing it, but... you made me realize that it was about time I stopped chasing an impossible dream," he sighed, "I've been up all night thinking and I decided... I'm gonna give up on art."

"But... But you said it was your passion. Are you really just gonna give up so easily like that?"

"It wasn't easy," Kris gazed at him and it was clear to see that he was hurting. The dark circles under his eyes were proof of him being up all night. "It was anything but easy. But... just like a fish trying to climb a tree... It's pointless."

"You can't just quit, Kris," Kyungsoo said, feeling his anger grow.

"What changed? Isn't that what you wanted in the first place? Didn't you want me to quit? So why are you trying to talk me out of my decision now?"

"Yes, but that was before," Kyungsoo said in frustration, "I've seen how happy art makes you. So what if you ? You don't have to make a career out of it, and you don't have to quit it altogether! Besides, most mordern artists these days are terrible anyway. You're not hurting anyone by doing what you love."

"Kyungsoo... I know you feel guilty. But you don't have to, in fact I should thank you. You helped me mature and see things more rationally... more realistically. I've decided."

"But I don't want you to mature!" he suddenly snapped, staring at Kris angrily. The other jumped slightly at his sudden outburst. "I want you to be the same childish, stubborn, determined, somewhat dumb Kris I've come to know. That's the Kris I came to like, to admire. Not the Kris that's just giving up! Don't you realize that you're not the only one that looks up to me? I look up to you as well!"

Kris blinked in confusion, surprised at the sudden confession. He pointed to himself in disbelief, "Me?"

"Yes, you! Seeing someone so hell bent on making their dream come true, not letting anyone's harsh words phase him in the slightest... That is an art in itself. You... changed me in a way no one else ever could. And now you're just gonna give up? Like hell you are! I'm the president of this art club and I'm not gonna let you quit. Now you're gonna sit your down and we're gonna draw some freaking trees. And this time, I'll be the one to teach you."

Kris was dumbfounded, staring at the shorter boy like he had grown a second head. A smile slowly grew on his face as he watched him huff and sit down on his stool.

"Well? What're you waiting for? Don't make me force you to clean the storage closet again."

Kris laughed as he sat down on the stool next to Kyungsoo, unable to feel any ounce of anger at the threat. He grabbed a sketch book as the other boy began briefing him on how to draw landscape. In that moment, he thought he really couldn't be happier. Kyungsoo was still his cold self, but he was helping him and that was all he could ask for. Though he had to admit, he was staring at him most of the time because he looked particularly handsome that day. As Kyungsoo was in the middle of his explanation, Kris found himself reaching a hand out to touch his cheek. Kyungsoo paused and turned to him.

"What are you doing?"

"Sorry," Kris whispered, but didn't withdraw his hand. He only began to caress Kyungsoo's cheek softly, taking in the features of his face. His dark hair that fell over his forehead, his eternally doe eyes that sent goosebumps down his body from just one look, his plump lips that he wished would smile more, and his flawless skin. Kyungsoo exhaled slowly, staring back at the taller boy.

"Are you just gonna stare at me like that?" He sounded almost impatient, like he was waiting for Kris to make a move.

"You're really..." Kris trailed off, as if mesmerized by the sight in front of him.

"Really what?"

Kris smiled as he leaned in closer, "Really cute." Kyungsoo held his breath, waiting in anticipation for their lips to meet.

"Hey, has anyone here seen Sehun?"

Kyungsoo and Kris quickly broke apart and turned to the door, finding a surprised looking Kai standing there. Kyungsoo was blushing a bright red while Kris silently cursed his best friend for interrupting their little moment.

"He left a little while ago," Kris answered bluntly, making the annoyance clear in his tone.

"Oh... okay," he frowned at the two for a second before leaving the room. Whatever the hell he'd seen in there... he was not going to ask. He had his own problems to deal with anyway. He'd been trying to apologize to Sehun all day but every time he saw him in the halls, he'd immediately run off. It broke Kai's heart a little bit when he did that. He didn't want the younger pushing him away. He'd rather get yelled at or something, but the silence was killing him. He sighed, ready to go around looking for him before lunch break ended. He had to apologize, he couldn't handle Sehun being upset with him a minute longer.

"Kai," Victoria called out, walking up to him him. She looked a little tired and the usual glow in her eyes was a lot dimmer. "I need to talk to you."

"Can it wait? I need to find Sehun before lunch break ends."

She sighed, "It's important."

"And this is important to me as well. I'll talk to you later, okay?"

She closed her eyes and breathed in sharply. "Kai, I'm breaking up with you."

The guy froze in his spot, staring at his girlfriend in disbelief. His voice was quiet when he spoke, "What?"

"Let's break up," she said, forcing herself to stay tough even with the look of hurt in his eyes. "It's not working out anymore."

"Why?" he stepped closer to her, "Did I do something?"

"No," she shook her head, "You don't even realize it but you've already moved on."

"What do you mean?" he shook his head, "I love you, Victoria."

"No, you don't! Stop lyingto yourself... What we had was amazing but it's just not there anymore. It's over, Kai, we're over. Don't make this any harder for me than it already is."

He couldn't believe it. They'd been together eight whole months, and she was just breaking up with him like that? He couldn't just accept that. He loved Victoria, he knew he did.

Right...?

"Please, just tell me what I did wrong. Whatever it is, I'm sorry-"

"Kai," she said in frustration, "You like Sehun."

His eyes widened as he felt his heart thump in his chest. He didn't know what to say to that, and when he went to deny it, he couldn't. His lips just wouldn't say the words.

"You're falling for him," she spoke, barely holding back the tears in her eyes as she took both of his hands in hers, "And you know it. Stop convincing yourself that you still love me when your heart already knows what it wants. I've seen the way you look at him, it's the same way you used to look at me."

"I..." he trailed off.

"You know it," she said softly, "But you're denying it to yourself. I denied it too. It's about time we stopped lying to ourselves and accepted the fact that it's over between us. You like Sehun. It's as simple as that."

She was right. He did know, somewhere deep inside. He just didn't let himself think about it. He wanted to be in love with Victoria, he didn't want them to end like his previous relationships. Not after he finally found someone he thought he really wanted to spend the rest of his life with. But the truth was... he didn't have those feelings for her anymore.

He liked Sehun. A lot more than he'd like to admit.

I like him.

"I didn't want this..." he said quietly, clenching his fists. "I really thought we'd last. I didn't want what we had to end up like every other relationship I've been in. I thought this time it'd be different... Maybe if I'd never met Sehun..." It hurt to think about never meeting the younger. Sehun was one of the most awesome people he'd ever known. He could be himself around him, without even trying. He was someone he never had to put up an act for, not even for a minute. Because there was something about being around him that made him so comfortable in his own skin.

"No. We'd have ended up breaking up at some point anyway. I'd say sooner better than later," she sighed, "Go look for him. Tell him how you really feel."

"I can't." He shook his head. He couldn't do that to Victoria. He didn't want to go running to Sehun right after she broke it off with him, it just felt like it would be really insensitive. Like he'd been waiting to get rid of her so he could go after Sehun, which wasn't the case at all. No matter how much he wanted to, he couldn't. She forced a smile on her lips.

"Don't worry about me. There's no reason to wait around anymore. We've already done enough of that if you ask me," she said, "I love you, Kai. I just want you to be happy. And I know that he makes you happy, way happier than I ever could. I'm still your friend and I want what's best for you. Tell him the real reason you followed him on his date."

He sighed, "I'm so sorry, Vic. I messed up... I messed up big time and I was being very inconsiderate. I'm sorry."

"You don't have to be. You can't control your feelings," she smiled, letting go of his hands. "Now go to him. That's an order."

He stood rooted to his spot as he watched her walk away and his heart broke a little. He knew how hurt she really was, though she tried to play it off like she was okay. He was hurt too because he really did love her. But the overwhelming urge to see Sehun was suddenly taking over him.

He needed to tell him.

Just as he was about to make his way to the staircase, the shrill noise of the bell ringing, signaling the end of lunch break stopped him. He sighed.

I guess it's gonna have to wait until after school.


 

"You can't be pissed off at me forever," Amber said, crossing her arms.

"I'm not pissed. But since I'm not talking to Kai, it's only fair I don't talk to you either."

She cocked a brow, "And why aren't you talking to him?"

"Because I can't think straight when I'm with him."

"You can't think straight, period. You're gay as hell, Sehun."

Sehun glared at his best friend before huffing, "Will you just leave so I can focus?"

"You're not actually planning on dating Tao, are you?" She asked, ignoring his remark.

"It's none of your damn business."

"You're not gonna say yes."

"How do you know?"

She grinned evilly, "I know."

He frowned at her just as he heard the art club room's door open. On recognizing who it was, he quickly hid behind his canvas.

"What are you doing?" Amber asked, amused.

"Shhhh!" he hissed, quickly sneaking his way across to hide behind another canvas as Kai walked over to Amber. He managed to sneak around the boy successfully and quickly leave the room, letting out a sigh of relief.

"Where's Sehun?" Kai asked, panting slightly.

"Did you just run here?"

"Amber," he groaned, "I seriously need to talk to him."

She nodded to the door and just as Kai turned to it, he managed to catch a glimpse of a foot leaving the room. He wasted no time in jogging towards the door, opening it and looking around the hall. He didn't have to look too far, because he found the object of his affection squatting down next to the wall. In the exact same spot he was the first time he talked to him. Kai found himself smiling at the memory as he made his way over to Sehun, who was trying his best to look ahead and not fidget.

"Mr. Plant, I presume," Kai said with a grin, "How have you been doing?"

Sehun cleared his throat, "Life's tough for us plants out here in the wilderness. But I'm getting by."

Kai looked around at the so-called 'wilderness', a little chuckle escaping him.

"I'm sure you'll be just fine. You're a tough plant."

"Yes I am. That one plant across the hall was trying to get it's nasty pollen all up on my stigma but I was having none of it."

Kai formed a large 'o' with his mouth. "That's attempted . Did you file a lawsuit?"

"You bet. That hoe is rotting behind bars in plant prison."

Kai laughed, feeling just as amused as the first time. Honestly, how can you not fall for this guy? He's so goddamn adorable, it's not even fair.

"Say... have you seen Sehun anywhere?" He asked once he had stopped laughing.

"Nope."

Kai nodded slowly, his lips, "Could you tell him something for me?"

Sehun shrugged, "That depends."

"Well... Tell him that I'm sorry I stalked him on his date. And... tell him that the reason I did it was because I was jealous."

Sehun frowned and looked at him, "Jealous...?"

"You're a curious plant aren't you?" Kai smiled, making Sehun blush and look away quickly.

"Sehun's asking," he quickly said.

"I'm sure he is," Kai chuckled, "You see, I was jealous because... I don't want Sehun to be with Tao. I don't want him to be with anyone except me. Because... I like him."

Sehun's head snapped towards him so quickly, he ended up falling on his on the floor. Kai quickly made his way over to help him up, but he quickly sat up before he could and stared up at him blankly. Kai wasn't really sure what was going through his head, but he could imagine all sorts of mathematical formulas flying around in there.

"You okay there?"

"Uh... yes. Fine. What did you say again? I didn't catch that."

Kai cocked a brow at that, unable to stop the amused smile stretching on his lips. Somehow in these few minutes, Sehun made him like him even more than he already did.

"I like Sehun. Like, a lot. So, send the message over to him, okay? I'll get going."

Kai turned around and began to walk away.

"Wait." He bit his lip and stopped when Sehun called out to him, turning around slowly. Sehun stood up, cheeks flushed and a look of determination on his face as he gazed straight at Kai.

"Tell him yourself!"

The elder hadn't really expected that and gave the other a wide-eyed look for a moment, before a smile crept up on his lips. He walked over to Sehun, stopping when he was right in front of him. He could feel Sehun's labored breath and the nervous look on his face, but he didn't back away when Kai slowly lifted his hand up to cup his cheek.

"Sehun..." he whispered, leaning closer until their faces were just inches apart. He realized in that moment just how much he craved this closeness with him. Sehun inhaled a sharp breath, unable to stop his heart from racing at the way Kai was looking at him. Like he was the most precious thing he'd ever seen. "I like you so much."

Sehun had to stop the smile that was fighting it's way on to his lips, because hearing those words from Kai was what he had been dreaming about for the past couple of weeks. It meant the world to him that Kai felt the same way, that he didn't have to be that angsty boy with unrequited feelings. But now it was really happening, and he felt like his heart was about to explode out of his chest at any moment. Which would be pretty gory and gross but he would definitely die happy.

A sudden thought came to him and he frowned, slightly stepping away from Kai.

"What about Victoria?" He asked quietly.

"She broke up with me," Kai responded, which surprised Sehun. He wanted to ask what happened but it didn't look like Kai wanted to talk about it. He was ashamed to say that the fact made him happy, because that meant that Kai was now available. And he liked Sehun. He was right within grasp and all he had to do was confess his feelings as well.

Come on Sehun... This is your chance! Don't you dare this up.

"You are... liked... as well... by uh, by me," he shook his head at himself, collecting his breath before looking up at Kai seriously. "I mean, I like you too."

Kai smiled happily, feeling the warmth spread in his chest at those four simple words. He stepped closer to Sehun, cupping both his cheeks in his warm hands and leaning in until their foreheads were resting against each other.

"You don't know how happy that makes me."

"Ugh, you guys are so gross."

The two quickly separated on hearing the third voice, glaring at Amber who stood there with her arms crossed.

"I may have warmed up to you, Kai, but I'm not letting you steal his lip ity just yet."

Sehun scowled at his best friend, shoving her by the shoulders. "Hey, I'll have you know I already lost my lip ity! To my imaginary kindergarten boyfriend, duh."

"Oh wow, I sure am jealous," Kai laughed, placing a hand on Sehun's shoulder. "So... You're not gonna go out with Tao, right?"

Sehun bit his lip, smirking, "That depends..."

Kai quickly took Sehun's hands in his own, understanding what he wanted. He definitely wasn't going to pass up the chance either.

"Oh Sehun, would you go out with me?"

Sehun smiled shyly, looking down at the floor. "I'd love to." Kai grinned at that and leaned closer, almost forgetting about Amber who was standing right there. Until she got in between them and pushed them away from each other with both her hands.

"Not on my watch," she said, making the two of them groan at the same time.

"Amber, go yourself."

"Sure Hun. I was planning to once I got home anyway," she smiled sweetly.

"Ewww! Mental images," he looked absoultely disturbed and Kai found himself laughing.

"And Kai, if you dare hurt Sehun, rest assured I'm gonna put that chainsaw in my basement to some very good use."

He rolled his eyes. "Don't worry about that," he said, smiling at Sehun, "I wouldn't even think about hurting him."

Amber made a puking motion with her hands and walked away from the two sickening love birds. This was going to take some getting used to. She noticed Victoria standing around the corner, watching them with a sad smile on her lips.

"They're cute together," Victoria said when Amber was at her side.

"It wasn't an easy thing, what you did. Heck I don't think I'd have done the same if I were in your place."

"I'm glad I did it. It's worth seeing Kai smile like that."

"Yeah, now you need to get over him asap."

Victoria smiled at her, "I'm sure I have all the help I need."

The short-haired girl cocked a brow, amused at her bold statement. "Who said anything about me helping you?"

"Because that's what friends do."

"Friends..." Amber said, staring ahead at nothing in particular. It felt odd to be friends with Victoria again, but certainly not unpleasant.

"Yes, friends," Victoria confirmed, wrapping her arm around Amber's.

"You know what else friends do? They treat each other to pizza."

Victoria laughed, "Still hungry as ever, I see. Alright, come on. I could use some pizza myself. And some Netflix."

"That reminds me, I need to catch up on some Game of Thrones."

"Me too."

"Dealing with heartbreak with gore and even more heartbreak? That's hardcore."

"I was born hardcore."
 


 

Ayyy the Sekai ship has finally sailed :') 'Nuff said.