Thirteen

The Me In Your Canvas

Kris stared at the boy in front of him intently, hands under his chin. Kyungsoo fidgeted uncomfortably in his seat, before glaring at him.

"Yah! Would you stop?!"

"Stop what?" Kris asked absentmindedly.

"Stop staring at me like that. It's ing creepy."

"You're blushing though."

Kyungsoo's cheeks reddened even more. He couldn't remember the last time anyone ever made him blush like Kris. Oh, that's because no one ever did. Kris was such a weirdo, and he made Kyungsoo uncomfortable most of the time, but honestly, he didn't dislike him. And he disliked a lot of people. That said a lot. Like, he wouldn't really care if a bomb exploded in the city because he hardly cared about anyone there. But Kris...

Kris was just ing weird. And he didn't neccessarily hate that.

"Becuase it's embarrassing! And why are we on a ferris wheel in the first place?!" He grunted when the cart they were in creaked intimidatingly.

"Silly Kyungsoo. Have you never watched K-dramas? When you like someone, you have to take them on a ferris wheel date," Kris explained diligently, "And then you faces."

Kyungsoo scowled, crossing his arms, "Don't get your hopes up. And stop staring at me like that, it's really starting to get creepy."

"You look really cute today though," Kris said with a soft smile, moving to sit next to Kyungsoo instead of across him. The shorter male groaned and shoved him lightly.

"You're really testing my patience, Kris."

"All l said was that you're cute," the taller said simply, studying the other's eyes that were struggling to stay on his. He loved that he could make Kyungsoo so uncomfortable, that he was the only one able to make him blush and act all fidgety and cute. It was so satisfying to him. "I really like you, you know? And I know you feel something for me too."

"I'm not interested," he huffed. Without warning, Kris leaned forward and captured his plump lips with his own. Kyungsoo froze for a moment before pushing him away, face flushed. "S-Stop doing that."

"I don't want to," Kris whispered, leaning in again. Kyungsoo turned his face away, quickly sitting on the opposite bench where he was safely away from the other.

"You're still pushing me away..." Kris sighed.

"Because I don't want this. I don't want this kind of relationship with you, so just stop it."

Kris groaned, "Stop lying to yourself already."

"Look, I'm not used to this okay! I'm not used to... liking people," Kyungsoo mumbled.g

Kris' eyes softened at the shorter boy in front of him.

"So you do like me," Kris said softly, but it wasn't in a teasing tone. He had a small, genuine smile on his lips as Kyungsoo finally looked up to meet his eyes.

"Yes," he replied simply, "Maybe... I think."

"You see? It's not that hard," Kris smiled, cupping the other boy's cheek. It's been a while since he'd felt this strongly about someone and he wanted to savour every moment of it. Kris didn't care about heartbreak, he only thought about living in the moment. And he wanted to live in that moment with Kyungsoo.

Of course it had to be interrupted right then.

"YO! KRIS! IS THAT YOU? I'M STARTING TO THINK YOU GUYS ARE FOLLOWING US!" Kai yelled from the cart above theirs, making Kris huff and look up.

"I COULD SAY THE SAME ABOUT YOU!" Kris yelled back irritably.

"SEHUN'S HERE WITH ME TOO. SEHUN SAY HI!"

"NO." Sehun whined, and Kris groaned. The shorter boy had a small smirk on his face.

"You look like a kid who just lost his lollipop," he said smugly.

Yeah, except Kyungsoo was the lollipop and - wait, no, that's inappropriate.


 

Kai offered Sehun some cotton candy, making the boy scowl at him.

"Get that stick of diabetes away from me." Kai smiled at his adorable date before shrugging and taking another bite.

"Your loss."

"Well don't mind me, I just choose to live a healthier lifestyle that doesn't involve- oh look there's pizza! Let's go eat some!"

Suddenly Sehun was grabbing his hand and dragging him towards the P
pizza place in front of them. Kai chuckled as he followed his boyfriend. It was heartwarming to see Sehun so excited and jumpy. Obviously he didn't go to amusement parks very often, but that didn't stop him from dragging Kai into all the scary rides. Even through his childlike exterior, Sehun sure was ballsy, and Kai wasn't complaining. He was just glad to see him smiling and enjoying himself so much.

Deep in thought, he found himself bumping into Sehun, who was stood frozen at the entrance.

"Sehun? You okay?" Kai asked with a frown, watching his blank stare. Following his eyes, they landed on a middle-aged man sitting at a table with a young, pretty woman. The two were obviously flirting with each other though the man looked twice her age. Kai was just about to ask why he was glaring at them so hard when the man sensed their stares and turned to Sehun, his own eyes widening. He immediately stood up and took a step towards them.

"S-Sehun?" The man spoke as if he couldn't believe what he was seeing.

Said boy quickly shook his head and stormed out of the place, Kai quickly following behind him.

"Sehun? What's wrong? Who was that man?" He asked as he struggled to keep up with his pace.

"Sehun! Wait!" The man called as he followed the two, "Son!"

At that, Sehun paused and turned around furiously. That was the first time he had seen Sehun look so mad and it really took Kai by surprise. But what was even more surprising was... 'son'? That man is his father?

"You... Don't you dare call me that. You're not my father," Sehun said with so much venom in his tone, the man almost shriveled up in front of him.

"Wait, just listen to me-"

"No! I don't want to hear what you have to say. You don't have the right to call me your son. Leave me alone... I don't want to see your face again!"

When the man took a step forward to reach for Sehun, Kai stepped in front of his boyfriend protectively.

"He said leave him alone," Kai deadpanned, the younger boy surprised at how protective and... possessive he sounded.

"And who the hell are you?" The man asked, annoyed at the teenager who stood in front of him with so much confidence and authority.

He didn't know what made him do it, but he took Sehun's hand in his own and, without thinking twice about it, spoke up.

"Someone he actually wants in his life."

And with that he walked away, hand still intertwined with Sehun's as he led them to his motorcycle. The man had stopped following them at that point. Once they were alone in the parking lot, Kai turned to look at Sehun, only to find him staring back it him in surprise. With a simple smile, he put the helmet on the younger's head and secured it, before getting on his bike.


 

They walked quietly through the empty park, neither of them knowing what to say about what had just transpired. Kai felt a little weird about what he had said. He didn't even know what happened between Sehun and his father. Sehun never talked about his personal life. Yet he went and said that so confidently, as if he had any idea what was going on. The more he thought about it, the dumber he felt.

"Oh my God," Sehun suddenly said.

"What?" Kai asked worriedly.

"That cat..." he said as he made his way to the cat, crouching down next to it and watching intently. "It's making a poop."

Kai blinked, staring at his boyfriend for a long minute before bursting out in laughter.

Yet even in times like these... he never fails to amuse me.

"What's so funny? It's mother nature unfolding right in front of us."

Kai smiled and pulled Sehun up to his feet. As the younger boy looked up at him so innocently, he couldn't think of anything but how much he liked him. He wanted to take things slow with Sehun because he was different. He didn't want their relationship to turn out like his previous relationships and even if it did, he wanted to drag the proccess out as much as possible.

"I have a serious question for you," Kai said softly.

"What is it?" Sehun asked, holding his breath. The elder tried his best to hide his grin.

"Do you want to swing?"

Sehun bit his lip, sparing a glance at the swingset a small distance away from them.

"Race you there!" he said quickly before taking off running towards it.

"Hey, that's nor fair!"


 

"About what happened earlier..." Sehun finally spoke after they'd slowed their pace down to a little back and forth rock on the swings.

"You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to," Kai said quickly, already knowing the direction that conversation was going to take. Sehun cocked his head at him.

"Don't you want to know?"

"O-Of course I do! I want to know a lot of things about you, Sehun. Actually, I'm dying to know... But, I don't want you to feel like you're forced to tell me everything. I respect your privacy."

Sehun was quiet for a while. "I want to tell you," he spoke softly, "I trust you."

"Okay," Kai smiled.

"Mom and dad split up a long time ago. I was so young back then, I hardly remember anything about it. All I remember is screaming and the sound of things breaking every night as they fought. I'd gotten so used to it that I'd have no problem falling asleep hearing their shouts from outside my room. He was abusive, always staying out late while not letting mom set foot outside the house. He made her quit her job because to him, women were only supposed to stay at home, cook and clean while the men go out and make the money. Almost every night they'd fight about one thing or the other. He hit her and she'd hit back. Every time I tried talking to him, telling him not to hit my mother, he only shut me up and told me it was none of my business. That I was just a child and I didn't understand. He'd never listen..." Sehun clenched his fists, "So I stopped talking."

"It later turned out he was fraud and a conman, and they ended up getting a divorce. He left her without a job or any money. He left and never returned, never sparing a cent for my education or our lives. He left us to rot by ourselves. My mother had to do all sorts of odd jobs to get the money we needed. I'd stopped considering him a father long ago, and seeing him today with that young bimbo, looking like he was having the time of his life, I couldn't help myself. I was so angry. Angry for all the pain he made us go through and most of all, how casual he was about it. And on top of that calling me his son."

Kai stayed quiet, a little taken aback by all this new information. His father must have been the reason he's so quiet. He found his fists clenching on their own accord. Sehun seemed carefree about a lot of things but in reality, he had a tough childhood.

"Kai?" Sehun called softly, looking at the elder boy, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, it's just... now I really wish I'd punched him back there."

A small smile spread across the younger's face, "What you said might as well have been a punch to the face."

Kai groaned, "I don't even know why I said that. It was so... cheesy."

Sehun laughed, the melodious sound of it making Kai's heart skip a beat. "Yeah, I agree. But I'm still glad you did it. Any second more in front of him and I felt like I would break down."

"You're stronger than you think, Sehun. Honestly, I feel like I hardly knew you before today."

"Well yeah... Amber is the only other person who knows about this. And it took me a whole year to open up to her. I guess something about you just makes me really comfortable."

"I could say the same about you," Kai sighed, "You're not the only one with daddy issues. My father's a bit of an himself. I guess I can't really blame him though, he wants me to take over his business when he retires and he wants to make sure that what he spent his entire life building is in good hands. He just neglected whatever I had to say or feel about it... he never bothered to ask either, it was just all planned out in his head. Before I knew it I've become the most fake person I know. Acting nice became like second nature to me, even when I felt like inside. The worst part of it all is feeling like I've lost myself. And I really thought I did... before you came into my life."

Sehun found himself blushing a little at the last part as Kai smiled at him genuinely. He rested his head on one of the chains of the swing as he kept staring at Kai.

"Your father really went about things the wrong way. At least he should have started telling you that stuff when you weren't so young and gullible. You wouldn't have gone through all this."

Kai shrugged, "It is what it is, I guess. He always put his work as his first priority. We hardly see him at home and when we do, he's always so uptight and strict. Looking at him, I feel like I really don't want to follow in his footsteps. The last thing I want is to treat my future kids the way he does. But I don't even have a choice in that."

Sehun contemplated about what to say, because he really wasn't sure. It wasn't like he could relate, but he understood why Kai would be frustrated. In the end, he decided on a sigh and a, "That ."

"Tell me about it," Kai chuckled, "But hey... turns out we have more in common than I originally thought. We can now about life together."

Sehun laughed, "I sure love ing about life."

Kai found himself lost in the other's smile; the way his eyes formed little crecsents, the curve of his lips that he'd love to trace with his own, the way his entire face lit up. The more he looked, the more he could find. Sehun tilted his head curiously.

"Is there something on my face?" he asked with a frown. Kai smiled and shook his head, before getting up from his swing and getting down on his knees in front of Sehun. The other watched curiously as Kai kept his eyes fixated on him, taking both his hands in his own.

"Can I be really honest with you?"

"All this isn't honest enough for you?" Sehun asked and Kai smiled.

"I like you so much, Sehun. And I keep realizing it over and over again with every little thing you do. But at the same time, I get so scared. I get scared I'll hurt you, and get hurt myself. I can't imagine what happened between me and Victoria happenning between us. God, I don't think I could ever handle seeing you hurt, especially if I'm the reason for it."

Sehun frowned down at Kai, who suddenly looked really vulnerable. He didn't like that look on him at all. "Hey... You don't have to keep treating me like glass. I'm a lot tougher than I look. I know you would never hurt me on purpose. And why are you already thinking of us breaking up when we just got together? Honestly, I'm a little offended," Sehun pouted.

"I can't help it. I've had a bad history with relationships. I can't help feeling like everything will go down the drain just like it always does."

Sehun frowned, feeling a little sorry for Kai. He tightened his hands around Kai's. "If we don't last then maybe it was just not meant to be. But that doesn't mean that all this didn't mean anything. Besides, I don't plan on letting you go so easily like Victoria did. I tend to be very possessive," Sehun huffed. Kai found himself smiling up at his boyfriend, placing a soft kiss on his hand.

"You're right. I'm sorry." He lifted his hand to cup his cheek, the other leaning down unconciously to his level. On realizing how close they were, Sehun's eyes rolled down to Kai's plump lips.

He really wanted Kai to kiss him.

"Kai-" he whispered, before being cut off by his phone ringing. Sighing in frustration, he pulled it out of his pocket and glared at the caller ID. Of course it was Amber. He glared at his phone for a while, mentally cursing his best friend for ruining their moment. AgainThis is getting really old.

"Aren't you going to answer?" Kai asked softly.

Sehun bit his lip, before shaking his head. "Not this time, you witch."

With that, he silenced the calln and tossed his phone into the grass behind him. Before Kai even knew what was happening, Sehun was grabbing Kai by the collar of his shirt and leaning down, firmly pressing their lips together. Never in a million years would Sehun have imagined himself doing this, but he had adrenaline pumping though his blood and he was solely acting on impulse. He'd been waiting to kiss Kai for so long and he wasn't going to let Amber interrupt them for the third time. He knew he was inexperienced, and probably sloppy, but he didn't care because the feel of Kai's lips against his own made him forget about the rest of the world.

Kai was stunned, unable to comprehend that the younger had kissed him just like that, when he least expected it. But he surely wasn't complaining, cupping his face and tilting it to the side to deepen the kiss. He'd been waiting to do this for way too long and now that it finally happened, he wanted to take advantage of it. Their lips slid against each other languidly, Sehun's hands slowly loosening around Kai collar and wrapping around his neck instead. He didn't really know what to expect with his first kiss, but it was a lot better than what he had imagined. It was like time was both going too fast and too slow, like he just couldn't get enough of Kai, yet too much. He didn't even realize how breathless he'd gotten before Kai pulled away, leaving the other panting and unconciously leaning in again.

"Whoa," Kai breathed, seeming both amused and flustered, "Breathe, Sehun." Sehun's eyes were glazed over as he his lips, trying to catch his breath. His eyes slowly widened in realization, and he quickly stood up.

"! I didn't mean to throw my phone like that!"

Kai found himself chuckling as Sehun quickly jogged over to his abandoned cell phone on the grass, examining it carefully to see if it was broken anywhere. Kai stood up and made his away over to his boyfriend, swiftly taking the phone away from him.

"You think you can just walk away from me after pulling a stunt like that?" He whispered teasingly before cupping his cheek and pulling him in for another sweet kiss. After their lips connected, neither cared for the dull of the phone as it fell to the grass once again, or the shrill sound of the ringtone that followed.

 

 


 

Hey hey hey *swiftly dodges tomato* it's been a long time, people! And I honestly don't want to use the same excuses but... seriously, I barely get to use my laptop lately. I've missed it dearly. I only managed to catch the occasional half an hour to write every afternoon, so yeah :( I'm sorry to say the next update might not be too soon either. A lot's been going on lately so I hope you guys understand.

BUT ANYWAY on to more important matters, SEKAI FIRST KISS AYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!111!!111!!1 I think this might be like the cutest, cringiest kiss scene I ever wrote. No regrets. I hope you guys liked it though!

Also, author-nim hasn't been feeling very good these days, please cheer me up in the comments. wow talk about shameless.

Seriously though, seeing you guys' positive comments really, REALLY makes my day like 20% better. Per comment. Thank you guys for all the constant support even with my late updates and I will be back with a new chapter hopefully within this lifetime.

lol what even is this picture I love it