Hear Me Out

Should've Known

A year later, Hoseok was wiping Jimin’s messy face.

    “I shouldn’t let you eat by yourself. You’ll need a lot of baths.” Hoseok chuckled.

Jimin smiled and smacked his hands on the high chair making Hoseok smile.

    “Alright, one more bite and then to a nap.” Hoseok scooped up some apple sauce from the bowl he was holding.

Jimin opened his mouth and absentmindedly put his hand in his mouth.

    “Jimin, you're not supposed to eat your hand.” Hoseok put down the spoon and removed his son’s hand from his mouth causing the two-year-old to giggle.

He put the spoon in the boy’s mouth when there was a knock on the door.

    “Can I trust you to not push the bowl?” Hoseok raised an eyebrow.

Jimin responded with opening his mouth and the applesauce dropped out as he squealed.

    “Of course not.” Hoseok placed the bowl on the table, away from Jimin’s reached.

He walked over to the door and opened it to reveal his good friend, Namjoon and his son, Taehyung.

    “Oh hey, Namjoon, what are you doing here?”

    “Did you forget about the play date?” Namjoon rose an eyebrow.

Hoseok looked over to the kitchen to see a note on the fridge, “J + T playdate tomrrw”

    “Ah… I’m sorry, I’ve been busy with work that my mind is everywhere at the moment.” Hoseok moved aside to let his friend in.

    “It’s totally understandable. I don’t know how you juggle being a full-time father and a server.” Namjoon sat on the couch, putting Taehyung on the floor.

    “Sometimes I don’t know either.” Hoseok picked up Jimin from the highchair, wiping the applesauce from his mouth, “It just comes naturally to me now.” He chuckled awkwardly.

    “I wouldn’t be able to do it since Jin says I destroy everything.” Namjoon scoffed.

    “It wasn’t easy after… you know who left but I got the hang of it and Jimin is still alive so I think I’m doing a good job.” Jimin was placed down next to Taehyung.

    “Yeah, that’s true.” Namjoon put a toy in front of Taehyung.

Taehyung grabbed onto to the toy immediately then Jimin decided he wanted it even though there was one next to him. The boys were playing tug of war with the poor toy while their father’s chatted away. After Namjoon and Taehyung left, Hoseok was finally able to put Jimin down for a nap. Hoseok was washing the dishes when he heard Jimin crying, he looked at the clock and noticed Jimin’s nap wasn’t even halfway done. He dried off his hands made his way to his room and saw Jimin standing up in his crib.

    “What’s wrong?” Hoseok cradled Jimin, bouncing him around.

Jimin kept crying, his eyes were glued to something making Hoseok raise an eyebrow. Hoseok looked where Jimin was and his heart dropped. There was a picture of Yoongi and Hoseok on the nightstand in the corner, he had forgotten to remove that a long time ago. Hoseok went over to the nightstand and put down the picture, making Jimin sniffle.

    “That’s nothing, it’s not important.” A tear rolled down Hoseok’s cheek.

Jimin held onto Hoseok as he tried to push back those memories. He’s still hurt about Yoongi leaving them behind. He promised him they would raise their son together but it didn’t last very long.

    “It’s behind us… Now let’s practice walking.” Hoseok wiped his eyes and took his son into the living room.

Later the night, Hoseok was watching television while Jimin was asleep on his chest. There wasn’t anything good so he decided to switch through channels. He was about to turn off the television when he spotted a celebrity headline.

    “Agust D pleads ex-partner for custody of 2-year-old child”

Hoseok’s eyes widened in shock, custody? He’s hoping it was for someone else but putting pieces together, there was no other way. His Jimin was two and Agust D hasn’t been in any relationship since his rise to stardom. He gulped and gently picked up his son, careful not to wake him up before carrying him into the bedroom. Once he laid his son down in his crib, he stared at him.

    “Jimin, your mom wants you to go with him but I won’t let him. He walked away from you and I’m not letting him walk away with you.” Hoseok kissed Jimin’s forehead. “I promise.”

The next morning, Hoseok was greeted with an unpleasant sight at the door.

    “What are you doing here?” Hoseok growled.

Yoongi’s manager, Kibum, took off his sunglasses and leaned against the door.

    “You haven’t been answering my phone calls and have been ignoring Yoongi’s texts so I had to personally come here.”

    “I shut off my phone and how very convenient you’re here after I see on the television that Yoongi wants custody of MY son!”

    “Technically, Yoongi has more custody over Jimin than you, Hoseok. Yoongi is Jimin’s mom after all.”

    “So? He’s the one that left us behind! I have full custody of him.” Hoseok grinned his teeth.

    “Can I come in?” Kibum rolled his eyes.

Hoseok walked out and shut the door behind him making Kibum raise an eyebrow.

    “We’ll talk out here. I don’t want you stealing Jimin when my back’s turned.”

    “Suit yourself.” Kibum leaned against a railing, “Look I’m not here to tear your family apart. Yoongi did that on his own. I have my own child and I would hate to be in your shoes.”

    “You have a kid?” Hoseok didn’t believe him one bit.

    “Yes, I do. Her name is Jibum Lee and she’s the cutest thing in the world but anyway… Our company recently found out that Yoongi had a child and wants him to use it for drama to get “free publicity” if you understand what I mean.” Kibum crossed his arms.

    “So he doesn’t want full custody of Jimin?” Hoseok’s blood started to boil

    “You have to Yoongi yourself about it. I can’t give you more any details.”

    “I will not speak to him! I would never speak to him even if he was at my doorstep and crying! Now get out of here, Kibum!” Hoseok went back into his apartment and slammed the door causing Jimin to cry.

Hoseok was surprised he heard knocking on the door later that day. It had started to rain after Kibum left so he wasn’t expecting any visitors. He looked over at Jimin playing with his toys and smiled before he opened the door. Yoongi was almost unrecognizable with his bleached hair, a way different contrast from his black hair. He stood in front of him, drenched from the rain in Hoseok’s old jacket

   “Please let me have my child!” Yoongi’s eyes were red from crying.

   “You’ve made this decision a long time ago. I will not let you come into his life.

Hoseok was about to slam the door when Yoongi stuck his foot out.

   “Please Hoseok! Hear me out!”

   “NO!”

Jimin was very confused at the sight of his father wrestling with the door.

   “Da d dy?” Jimin cooed.

Hoseok sighed after hearing Jimin, he wasn’t setting a good example for his son fighting with the door like this.

   “Fine, come in but don’t sit anywhere near MY son.” Hoseok hissed, letting the door go.

Yoongi nodded his head and sat on a couch farthest away from Jimin but Hoseok didn’t he couldn’t look.

   “Wow, look how grown he is.” Yoongi commented.

   “With no help from you at all.” Hoseok sat down next to Jimin who handed him a toy.

There was an awkward silence while Hoseok was playing with Jimin for a moment. Yoongi watched them interact and something inside of him snapped. He tried to put everything behind him but he couldn’t deny it anymore. He made a huge mistake, he threw away his happiness, he threw away his family. Tears started to form in his eyes of the thought of holding Jimin and lulling him to sleep, feeding him, giving him a bath. He missed out on the small babbling and the first bruises from the first steps. All of his infant milestones, he'll never experience. Hoseok looked up at Yoongi and was taken aback when he saw he was crying.