Decisions

Should've Known

    “I can’t do this! I’m not cut out for this!” Yoongi yelled.

He a crying infant into Hoseok’s arms, Hoseok being careful during the exchange.

    “But Yoon-”

    “I know we said we would be a family and raise him together but I just can’t! I’m not going to be a parent now!” Yoongi screamed.

The infant's cries became louder as Yoongi yelled, Hoseok wasn’t sure what to do.

    “What are you going to do then?! Just never interact with our son?!” Hoseok’s grip tightens on the wailing child.

    “I’m leaving Hoseok. I’ve got a life to look forward to.” Yoongi scoffed, exiting their apartment.

Once the door slammed, Hoseok’s built up rage took over.

    “Fine! Leave! I don’t need you! Jimin doesn’t need you either! We don’t want you!! You’re a coward, Min Yoongi!!” Hoseok yelled, “You should’ve let me know that earlier…”

Hoseok sat on the couch as tears rolled down his face, the place was a mess. Yoongi went on a rampage with their son in his arms while he feared for the infant’s safety. He pleaded with his ex to listen to reason but his career was so important that he decided to be selfish and leave them behind. He should’ve known Yoongi wasn’t happy the whole time after announcing his pregnancy with the way he looked at the ultrasound and the way he glared at his belly.

    “I’m sorry Mom left…” Hoseok the crying child’s cheek, “He was selfish, he didn’t love you but I always have and always will. I’ll be the best father to you, we don’t need him.”

Jimin’s cries lessened as his father rocked him back and forth.

    “We don’t need him.” Hoseok whispered, kissing his son’s forehead.

The next morning, Hoseok was dressed up to go to work with Jimin strapped to his back, a belt with baby bottles and a baby bag on his other shoulder with anything else he could need. He yawned as he walked down stairs of the apartment complex.

    “Good morning Hoseok.”

He stopped and turned to an elderly woman sitting in a chair next to her apartment door.

    “Oh good morning, Ms. Yunshi.” Hoseok smiled.

    “Where are you going with that little one strapped to your back this early in the morning?” She raised an eyebrow.

    “Oh, we’re going to work and I’m sorry for being rude but I have to get going before I’m late.” Hoseok bowed slightly before leaving.

Once he got to work his manager gave him a weird look after seeing Jimin.

    “Hoseok, what is a baby doing here?”

    “I’m sorry sir, I had to take him with me. See Yo-”

    “You couldn’t find a babysitter?”

    “I won’t leave my Jimin with a stranger!” Hoseok exclaimed, “Please sir, I’ll make sure he’s a good boy.” He pleaded.

His manager finally sighed in defeat.

    “Alright but make sure his diaper is always clean. I don’t want him stinking up the place.”

    “Thank you, sir!”

Hoseok was a server at a restaurant in town and he was the best one at that. Everyone knew him by name and often showed up just to see his smile.

    “Hoseok! Hi!”

Hoseok grabbed his tray and notepad before going over to the customer.

    “How are you this morning, Jeuni?” Hoseok beamed.

    “I’m fine and who’s that behind you?” The girl with long brown hair asked.

    “Oh, this little guy?” Hoseok turned slightly to show her his pride and joy, “This is my son, Jimin Park Jung.”

    “Who’s his mommy and what about Yoongi? I haven’t seen in a long time.”

    “Um… Yoongi was my only relationship, y’know…”

    “Omg! He’s Jimin’s mommy! That’s why he disappeared.” Jeuni clicked everything together, rather loudly too.

    “Yeah not anymore… He walked out on us.” Hoseok cleared his throat.

    “Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t know!”

    “No, it’s fine. Can I get you anything to drink?” Hoseok stared at his notepad.

    “Just an iced tea, hon.”

Hoseok wrote that down before going to the back to have everyone stare at him.

    “What?”

    “So Yoongi disappeared from work a long time ago and here you are with a baby.” Minho was leaning against the counter.

    “What about it?” Hoseok passed his notebook to a blue haired boy.

    “How did he do it? Is he gonna come back to work?” A boy with silver hair butted in.

    “I don’t know how he did it Jonghyun and it’s not like it matters anyway. He’s gone.” Hoseok grinned his teeth.

    “Gone? Did he pass away during birth?” The blue haired boy handed him the ordered ice tea.

    “No Taemin, as in, he ran away from us.” Hoseok grabbed the tea, “Saying he couldn’t do it even after he promised we’d raise him together.”

Hoseok walked back out to avoid further questioning at the moment but he knows it’ll go on all day. At the end of the day after every customer left, Hoseok’s manager pulled him into the back.

    “Hoseok, I’ve gotten a lot of complaints about your child today.”

    “But sir, I’ve made sure he didn’t stink all day and that he was well fed so he didn’t cry!”

    “He’s actually the most well-behaved baby I’ve seen.” Jonghyun added before being dragged away by Taemin.

    “People are just uncomfortable being served with a baby on their server’s back. Either you find a babysitter, or I’m going to have to let you go.”

There was no point in arguing so he just nodded before clocking out. He sighed when he reached his apartment complex.

    “What’s wrong, Hoseok?”

    “Oh Yunshi, I don’t know what to do.” Hoseok removed the baby backpack being careful not to drop Jimin, “I need to find a babysitter for Jimin or I’ll get fired. I can’t lose this job.” Hoseok sat down on the ground next to the old woman, looking at his son in his arms. “I just can’t”

    “I can babysit for you hon.” Yunshi offered.

    “Really?! You would?!” Hoseok’s face lit up.

    “Yes, I’ll be here tomorrow morning as usual so you can pass him off to me.”

    “Ah thank you so much, Yunshi.” Hoseok rose to his feet and bowed.

Yunshi wasn’t a stranger to him or Yoongi as she was always helping Yoongi throughout his pregnancy and she always checked up on Hoseok before Yoongi moved in. The next morning, Hoseok left a little early and found Yunshi in her usual spot.

    “Good morning, Hoseok.” She beamed.

    “Good morning, Yunshi. Thank you so much for taking care of Jimin for me. I hope he’s not too much trouble.” Hoseok handed his child to the woman.

    “I’m sure he’ll be just fine.”

    “Here’s his baby bag, which contains his toys and diapers plus his bottles. I’ve already made them so you didn’t have to. All you have to do warm it up a bit, he doesn’t like cold formula. Oh after being fed, you need to bur-”

    “Hoseok, I’ve raised children before. I know what I’m doing so go.” Yunshi interrupted him.

    “Right.” Hoseok cleared his throat, “Well, daddy will see you later Jiminnie.”

Hoseok was doubting himself from the beginning but maybe, just maybe, he could actually be the best parent to Jimin.